PDA

View Full Version : MEC Marksman Single Stage Press

pworley1
03-07-2023, 08:59 PM
Do any of you use the MEC Marksman Single Stage Press? If you do what is your opinion of it? How does it compare with your other presses?

Budzilla 19
03-07-2023, 09:09 PM
I have one. It’s a verrrryyyy smooth press, and I like the way it has the ability to change the handle offset. It’s very robust, I guess is the word. Just my opinion, but buy the stand that is available for it, you won’t regret it. The spent primer tray is a plus also. Rockchucker I moved off the bench, is still on standby, just in case!, Lol
I believe you’ll like it.
Just my .02

pworley1
03-07-2023, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the review. It looks like it would be a good press.

Big Wes
03-08-2023, 07:58 AM
I have one and believe it was money well spent. As mentioned above very smooth and well built. It's the first single stage press I've ever owned and bought it last year. No regrets. As for comparison to my other presses, the other 4 presses I own are Dillons
Stated out with a 550b back in early '90's. Since then I picked up 3 more used Dillons 2 SDB's and a 650.

You'll like the Mec if you buy one!

dverna
03-08-2023, 01:32 PM
I have only heard good things about the press.

Hope it works out for you

pertnear
03-08-2023, 02:51 PM
I was a diehard RCBS guy but I finally took a step up & bought a MEC Marksman. Great press & no more spent primers on the floor. An extremely smooth & precise machine. The stand is a "must" is you buy the press. Just IMHO...

porthos
03-08-2023, 05:54 PM
why is the stand a "must". why can't i bolt it to my very solid bench??

Sam Sackett
03-08-2023, 07:54 PM

Yeh, I wonder the same…..
Sam Sackett

cwlongshot
03-08-2023, 08:18 PM
I have thusfar somehow resisted...

I VERY MUCH want this as my next press. I have read nothing but good things.

Ultimate Reloading on Utube did a awesome review of every available press at that time. One was the MEC and it ranked as one of the top Presses.

I believe you will be very well setup with the addition of one.

Good luck

CW

pworley1
03-09-2023, 10:01 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

doulos
03-09-2023, 03:50 PM
I have a MEC and use it with the MEC stand. The handle would hit the edge of my bench when the ram was at the top of its stroke. I would have to reconfigure my table top to use it bolted to the bench like my other presses. Part of the handle linkage swings under the press if that makes sense. If your bench frame is not recessed enough under the bench top the handle will not clear. My bench top does not have a lot of over hang from the frame. I only had about 1.5 inches from the edge of the top to the frame.
That said ...I mounted it on the MEC stand. I like it a lot. Much more than I imagined I would. Bench construction design does not limit your press placement very much when using the frame. You can have more options. My bench was something I did not build specifically for a reloading bench. It is also really sturdy. It's like a rock. I might convert all my presses to stands.

pertnear
03-09-2023, 04:09 PM

Yeh, I wonder the same…..
Sam Sackett

You can bolt or clamp the MEC directly to your bench. The stand is a great add-on, just IMHO.

doulos
03-09-2023, 08:09 PM
It depends on how your bench was constructed. Going directly to my bench top did not work for me. I wanted to go directly to the bench. But I had interference. The stand was pretty reasonable in price too. Like you pertnear I really like the press so far. Pretty smooth. Have really only used it for 45-70 as of yet.

porthos
03-09-2023, 08:24 PM
good reason for the stand. however, i like to construct stuff. i have a lot of milled oak to construct a stand. if it dosen't work out, i'll buy one.

Big Wes
03-10-2023, 06:43 AM
I have mine mounted on an Inline Fab. 4" quick change stand That way I can use the stand for my RCBS bench primer,.Dillon 600 swager or my vise, very convenient.

doulos
03-10-2023, 10:10 AM
I am thinking of going to the Inline Fab quick change stands too. They have mounts for just about everything you can think of, including my lubrisizer. The MEC stand is about 8.5 inches high. Thought it would be too high. But I like it. I can stand to reload or use a stool.

mdatlanta
03-12-2023, 02:15 AM
I have one. It’s a verrrryyyy smooth press, and I like the way it has the ability to change the handle offset. It’s very robust, I guess is the word. Just my opinion, but buy the stand that is available for it, you won’t regret it. The spent primer tray is a plus also. Rockchucker I moved off the bench, is still on standby, just in case!, Lol
I believe you’ll like it.
Just my .02

^This ^
It’s a really nice press, IMHO.

doulos
03-12-2023, 08:54 PM
Another thing I like about the MEC stand is the storage docs for dies are built right into it.