PDA

View Full Version : Who prefers black powder over smokeless?

freakonaleash
03-06-2023, 10:49 AM
I DO! I shoot BP in all of my old lever guns. I may shoot some smokeless in my Eye-talian guns. I really like the boom and the smell, just like old days.

Froogal
03-06-2023, 11:22 AM
I like it, but my .45 Colt rifle does not like it. The bore fouls up way to quickly.

HWooldridge
03-06-2023, 11:30 AM
BP works well in some of its original loadings. I think it's a great choice for the 45-70.

M-Tecs
03-06-2023, 12:28 PM
It depends on the application. In some applications I find real BP provides the most fun. In other application real BP's disadvantages cannot be overlooked.

dverna
03-06-2023, 02:28 PM
I have never and will never shoot BP. They could stop selling smokeless powder tomorrow and I could get by with the smokeless powder I have in inventory for a very long time. The only calibers I have that could use BP are my 12 ga shotguns or .38/.357's.

Cleaning guns and making smoke are not on my fun list.

GregLaROCHE
03-06-2023, 02:49 PM
I enjoy using BP in my Marlin 45/70. Especially, if I have a friend who has never shot before (there are a lot of people here who would like to try shooting but haven’t been able to) I figure I should give them the full experience.

Hondolane
03-06-2023, 04:33 PM
Black powder is an experience that once felt isn't forgotten. I prefer Black powder as well. The correct lube is paramount to continued shooting.

almar
03-06-2023, 05:03 PM
I like both but prefer BP. I dont enjoy flintlocks as much right now but my sharps rifles, colt SAA, lever action in 45 colt and 45-90 get alot of attention these days. With the homemade BP thread i make own powder and also make my primer so a big 45-110 costs me about 16 cents a round these days, and that's because of the 540 grain lead bullet.

Its not a big deal to clean at all If your powder is good.

Nobade
03-06-2023, 05:20 PM
Any more I am using black powder in everything that it is appropriate for which is most of my shooting. I'll stick to smokeless for the 30-06 and modern cartridges though.

indian joe
03-06-2023, 05:42 PM
i have never and will never shoot bp. They could stop selling smokeless powder tomorrow and i could get by with the smokeless powder i have in inventory for a very long time. The only calibers i have that could use bp are my 12 ga shotguns or .38/.357's.

Cleaning guns and making smoke are not on my fun list.

sad!!!

indian joe
03-06-2023, 05:49 PM
I like it, but my .45 Colt rifle does not like it. The bore fouls up way to quickly.

you proly need a better boolit - not enough or not the right lube for blackpowder

if that dont work a duplex load with 3 or 4 grains of 4227 on the primer proly cure the problem

Nazgul
03-06-2023, 05:49 PM
I find myself shooting more BP than smokeless nowadays . I have plenty of modern guns, from 22 to 458 Win Mag, as well as a couple dozen pistols. Lately the muzzle loaders have been getting most of the attention. Different pace, slower shooting, makes you focus.

Cleaning has never bothered me. Have a system that makes it easy.

Don

indian joe
03-06-2023, 05:51 PM
Any more I am using black powder in everything that it is appropriate for which is most of my shooting. I'll stick to smokeless for the 30-06 and modern cartridges though.

yep theres fun guns and work guns - fun guns like blackpowder and workguns need smokeless

freakonaleash
03-06-2023, 05:57 PM
With most lever guns my accuracy with black powder starts to fall off after 4 to five shots, so I wipe with a damp patch then go another 5. As was said above, depends on how much lube your bullet holds and the length of the barrel too.

Brimstone
03-06-2023, 06:34 PM
Fouling? With real black powder? Not that fake crap everyone pretends gives them the legit experience?

veeman
03-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Rifles, yes. Pistols, no.

Seeker
03-06-2023, 07:32 PM
Nope, not me. I shot black powder in muzzle loaders for years and I don't miss the mess nor the smell. (my wife even more) I was glad when the substitutes came out and I went to Shockeys' Gold.

dverna
03-06-2023, 08:45 PM
sad!!!

Maybe sad for you but HAPPY HAPPY for me.

Do what turns your crank...I will do what turns mine. I like to shoot as effortlessly as possible. BP does not meet that requirement.

openbook
03-06-2023, 08:52 PM
It's somehow an awful lot of fun to load up duplex cartridges with a little pile of 4227 covered by black powder. Cleaning up after duplex loads hasn't been bad. I've read multiple places that lots of people think duplex is for more power—but that it's actually for clean shooting.

Black powder is an experience that once felt isn't forgotten.

This is the truth.

Hannibal
03-06-2023, 08:57 PM
I like black powder for my single shot projects. There's a built in safety feature so to speak.

Yes, there are velocity restrictions and fouling is heavier. Never found it to be a problem with single shots.

I'd rather shoot small volumes and have fun than large volumes and spend a bunch of $$$ making noise.

To each their own.

StrawHat
03-06-2023, 09:26 PM
Black powder in my 50-70, yes! In my 22 Hornet or 405 WCF, no, thank you.

Kevin

RSAPD
03-06-2023, 09:33 PM
I love BP for my TD and Sharps. Not opposed to smokeless at all but it does seem I get better accuracy and control using BP. BP is easy to clean IMO, but there are more cleaning steps. I also think loading BP rounds is a little easier/faster than smokeless. I never have to trim and you can measure by volume rather than weight and I don't crimp. I used to think BP was an extra chore I didn't want but I think you have to do it to find out the realities.

Brimstone
03-06-2023, 10:42 PM
Cleaning my breech loaders, lever actions is a simple hose in the chamber, flush for a minute then patch a few times, dry and oil.

10 minutes if that.

stubshaft
03-06-2023, 11:01 PM
Takes me longer to clean the cases than my Sharps.

35 Rem
03-07-2023, 12:32 AM
I like to shoot my replica 36 caliber cap and ball Colt Navy but hate to do the cleaning so it rarely gets shot. I don't see how anybody could not enjoy the smoke and smell. If I had somebody to do the cleaning I'd shoot it a lot more.

trails4u
03-07-2023, 12:51 AM
For me it's whatever is period correct. If it's an original BP cartridge.....it gets fed BP. If its an original smokeless cartridge...well, the same. I don't own anything meant for BP that's ever been fed smokeless.....I just can't buck the history. But....that's where my passion lies, the history. If it shoots 'minute of barn' but I get to shoot it as close to historical accuracy as possible, then I'm happy with those guns. Some I try to push for accuracy, because I want to hunt with them, but others....I'm just happy to make them go bang, because it's cool that I still can.

Modern smokeless stuff....I'm pretty obsessive about accuracy as the technology is readily and easily available to make them as accurate as we are capable of as shooters.

Two different pursuits for me.....

indian joe
03-07-2023, 02:28 AM
Maybe sad for you but HAPPY HAPPY for me.

Do what turns your crank...I will do what turns mine. I like to shoot as effortlessly as possible. BP does not meet that requirement.

Sorry ! didnt mean that to come out rude
Despite outward appearances I'm not a purist either - just like foolin around with old guns,

which led me to blackpowder, when I did that most of the problems I had trying to make old guns work with smokeless went away (problems we wouldnt experience today with quality loading gear and plenty of information)

like earlier, fun guns and work guns --- if something around here needs killing I pick up a smokeless gun proly with a scope - but thats work - do enough killin and it gets to be work for most of us - variations on that theme too, hogs and snakes are at the bottom of my sympathy pole, mean natured dogs (pit bull, rotweiler etc) come close.

There is an urban myth about how messy, and troublesome blackpowder is to work with, its not near as much trouble as fellers that dont do it have been led to believe - and dedicated blackpowder shooters are as much to blame for that as anyone - we have a bloke in our local club takes prospective newbys under his wing and gives advice - after listening to that a couple of times we never see them again - I swear this dude could write a 15 page essay on how to strike a match !

The most interesting and fun part of my blackpowder trip has been discovering the level of accuracy that can be had - see that group Leadpot posted a while back, 100shots without a break or a clean - just chewed the centre out of the black at 200yards ----wow!

indian joe
03-07-2023, 02:32 AM
It's somehow an awful lot of fun to load up duplex cartridges with a little pile of 4227 covered by black powder. Cleaning up after duplex loads hasn't been bad. I've read multiple places that lots of people think duplex is for more power—but that it's actually for clean shooting.

This is the truth.

Duplex gets you both, cleaner and more power, ----and its an easy deal to do as well!

Bigslug
03-07-2023, 09:59 AM
Not for me thanks. My Dad shoots a bit of the stuff - mostly the substitutes. It's occasionally entertaining for the history lesson. . .but when that lesson is the Peacemaker clone that will run all day on smokeless starts binding up after 50-100 rounds of charcoal and takes massively longer to clean, you quit longing for "the bad old days". Too much time; too much paranoia about iron oxide.

freakonaleash
03-07-2023, 10:51 AM
Black powder in my 50-70, yes! In my 22 Hornet or 405 WCF, no, thank you.

Kevin

I just loaded some .405 with black powder, they hold 77gr. Haven't found time to shoot them yet. I don't find the M95 Winchester in .405 a pleasant shooting experience with smokeless loads.

freakonaleash
03-07-2023, 10:56 AM
I started this thread in reference to BP and lever guns. I have built and shot muzzleloaders since 1980 so Black powder as a propellent is natural for me and has never seemed like any extra work. When I shot cowboy action, I shot all black powder. With the proper bullet and lube it's a lot of fun. Full power loads, just like the old days. No mouse farts.

HWooldridge
03-07-2023, 11:11 AM
I also like using it because I make my own cartridge grade BP - so primers are the only thing I need to buy.

Froogal
03-07-2023, 12:14 PM
you proly need a better boolit - not enough or not the right lube for blackpowder

if that dont work a duplex load with 3 or 4 grains of 4227 on the primer proly cure the problem

YES! I have tried the duplex load, and it did make a difference. I lube my bullets with SPG, but I need a mold that will make deeper lube grooves, or at least more than ONE lube groove. I know those molds are available, but I don't like the price.

Nazgul
03-07-2023, 12:24 PM
Shooting BP in my Browning BPCR is an eyeopener. Over the chronology the loads were very consistent. If I remember right some where around 6-8 fps variation. Slow at 1100-1200 fps but very predictable.

Been awhile since I shot this, have to get it going again this summer.

Don

gunther
03-07-2023, 12:26 PM
Ruger Old Army's have taken a lot of Eastern Kentucky deer around here. They take as long to clean as it does to reload pistol ammunition. In brushy, hilly area's, they are much easier to get around with than a rifle. With a full load, they are good as far as you can hit a coffee can.

Griff
03-07-2023, 12:56 PM
YES! I've been shooting in cowboy action matches since 1985 and in BP categories since 1986. I love my .36 Navies, 1873s and 1860 Henry. 12 ga TTN 1878 copies for the shotgun and I'm a happy camper. Clean up of a BP gun is simple matter of some hot water and patches, wet, then dry, then oiled. Properly tuned my 1851s will run for a full 3 day match, even a few that involve 8 stages per day... Same with my 1873s & 1860, all 3 long guns in 45 Colt. The right bullet, lube and clearances on the carrier make for smooth running. I'd be competitive if I was faster or had more practice time. Rain does make for a foul day!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7YWNCbw8OA

Turns out, that while I'd succeeded in keeping the revolvers & powder dry, the caps in my inline capper got soaked. Took something like 25 caps to get ten shots off, but... it capped off a clean match, no misses, no penalties, over 3 days & 12 stages.

freakonaleash
03-07-2023, 03:12 PM
YES! I have tried the duplex load, and it did make a difference. I lube my bullets with SPG, but I need a mold that will make deeper lube grooves, or at least more than ONE lube groove. I know those molds are available, but I don't like the price.

I paid the price and have no regrets. My black powder life is very good now. Bullets of modern design really suck if you're shooting black powder.

Bad Ass Wallace
03-07-2023, 07:11 PM
Why I Don’t Shoot Blackpowder!

Understand that from the time I could put together a rational thought, I’ve been fascinated by guns. My mother used to prop me in front of the little round picture box as a baby so I could watch men on horseback shooting at each other with guns...

The first “real” shooter I owned was a Mattel Fanner 50... it shot Mattel Shootin’ Shells and used Greenie Stick ‘Em caps. I was greased-lightning fast and Grim Reaper deadly with it... for my punishment of erroneous deeds my mom would take the gun away for a few days... dad, on the other hand, used the gunbelt for a more heartily applied punishment to the South end of this Northbound cowpoke. It seems like that gunbelt got as much [applied] use as that Fanner 50. Who knew old people would jump that high when you shot them in the butt? Sorry, Nana... but the bone china tea set dad bought to replace the one you were carrying was much prettier and newer than that 150 year old set you were always bragging to Aunt Gladys about... And Cousin Peter? Sorry about the eye, buddy. But at least it kept you out of the army...

When I was twelve I was shipped off for the summer to church camp, where I was introduced to the joys of the .22 Long Rifle cartridge. There were six shooters in my squad and we could choose from the six semi-auto and two bolt action rifles available. Even then it was evident I’d be a purist: I was the only one to choose a bolt action. While the other kids were busy shooting hundreds of rounds of ammo downrange as quickly as they could, I carefully aimed my bolt action in the general direction of the targets... while actually shooting birds over by the pond like Gary Cooper taught George Tobias to shoot turkeys in Sgt. York– “sorta from back to front...”, and imagining each of those evil birds was wearing a German helmet. I still say the counselors should have told us on Orientation Day. I mean, who even knew there WERE swans, huh? They looked like big ducks wearing holdup masks, if you really want to know the truth. Dad didn’t see it that way, though... especially since he had to pay for the swans– and they didn’t refund the seven weeks’ unused camp tuition when they expelled me, either. Did I mention what dad used my Fanner 50 gunbelt for?

After my exposure to the real thing at camp– albeit for only a brief period– I wasn’t too interested in playing with the Daisy BB guns my friends had. I was above owning one of those childish things... but not above borrowing one to play with every once in awhile. And Ritchie? Sorry about the eye, buddy. But at least it kept you out of the army...

I finally turned eighteen and could [legally] own my own black powder revolver, but I was just a bit short in the savings department. Not being the patient sort, I chose the most expedient means to get the money. As I look back now, I suppose I am sorry those junior high kids couldn’t turn in their paper route money that week...

I’d been looking at a pretty, brass-framed BP revolver in the case at Shattuck’s Hardware for a couple of months, and boy! Was I ever proud the day I went in and plunked down the money for it! Eleven dollars in one dollar bills... and eighteen dollars in quarter and dimes. Old Man Shattuck was a great old guy, whose eyesight, thankfully, had gotten really bad over the years... otherwise he’d have chased me out of the store like he used to after he caught me stealing that Barlow when I was thirteen... but he didn’t recognize me as he sold me the .36 caliber pistol... he even threw in a box of pure lead balls with the pistol and percussion caps when I bought the pound of black powder. I told Mr. Shattuck that I was anxious to shoot it and was heading straight for the dump, and asked him to show me how to load the gun. “It’s pretty simple,” I recall his telling me. “You measure your powder into the cylinder chamber, put a bullet over it, ram it down in with the hinged thing under the barrel, put your cap over a nipple, and you’re set to shoot.” I thanked him for his help and headed for the door.

“One last thing!” he called to me as I was running out the door, “Don’t forget to put grease over your balls! Crisco works fine!” I didn’t understand the need for the last part, but I stopped at Tony’s Grocery and bought a little blue can of Crisco grease. And now... to the dump! Where bottles and cans, rats and crows were just waiting for this ol’ cowboy to do ‘em in!

I replayed Mr. Shattuck’s instructions in my head as I laid out all my gear on the smoothed-out, brown paper bag at my feet. The first thing I realized was that I didn’t have anything to measure the powder with... UNTIL I remembered my knife! I carried one of those folding stag handled camper’s knives– you know, the ones with a fork on one side and a spoon on the other? The spoon was perfect for what I needed! Very carefully (thank heaven there wasn’t any wind blowing) I poured a spoonful of powder from the can into the spoon, then tipped the spoon up and tapped the powder into the cylinder. Sure, I spilled a bunch over because the spoon held so much more, but what the heck! Powder was cheap, back then... and I had plenty to spare...

Being a methodical kind of kid, I filled all six chambers with the powder, managing to spill as much around my feet, I suppose, as I was getting into the cylinder. I can laugh now, but when I bent over to get the bullets all the powder fell out of the cylinders onto my boots... so I had to fill them all over again! I managed to get all the chambers filled with powder and then stuck a bullet into the first cylinder... I had to really tap it in with my knife to get it started... then shoved it in as far as it would go with the rammer thing. I lost a little powder in the process, but eventually I had all six chambers loaded and ready to go. Then I put percussion caps over the things sticking out the ends of the cylinders...

Oops! I forgot a couple of things!

Now, I’ll admit my ignorance about a lot of things... but why I was supposed to smear Crisco on my balls is still a mystery to me. But I figured Old Man Shattuck knew what he was about, so I looked around to make sure I was alone, then dropped my pants to my knees, opened the can of Crisco and began to smear it over Lefty and Righty. Standing there in the hot summer sun, slowly massaging soft, silky grease into my scrotum... gee WHIZ! I guess the old man knew what he was talking about after all ! Welcome to the joys of shooting! I had to force myself out of my reverie...

One last thing and then I’d be ready to shoot... I took my baseball cap off and stuffed it inside my shirt over my left nipple. Okay... I guessed I was ready (except, of course, that in my haste I’d forgotten to pull up my pants...)

Well sir, I crooked my left arm out in front of my face, rested the trigger guard of the pistol in my right hand on it, drew a tight bead on an old Four Roses bottle, and squeezed the trigger. I remember a bright flash, a burning sensation on my arm and face, then something hit me square in the forehead and the lights went out.

It must have been quite sometime later when I awoke. I was laid out across the back seat of Sheriff Miller’s car (I knew this from the plexi-glass partition and a previous ride when I’d been sixteen), the rider’s side door was open and my feet and lower legs were hanging out. As I raised my head to look for the source of the voices I heard I felt like someone had hit me in the head with a sledgehammer. I could see two men in the dim, evening light, just outside the door and within my range of vision. At least, I thought they were two men... I could hear two speaking but they were sorta spinning around and they looked like six. From the voices I knew they were Sheriff Miller and my Dad...

“... busy on another call so the volunteer fire department was the first out here,” I heard the Sheriff explaining to my dad. “Mabel Krutchner called it in... said she saw smoke comin’ from the dump and had heard an awful explosion over this way."

“Near as I can tell from what the firemen say, when they got here they found your boy lying over there. At first they thought he was dead. The dump was on fire all around him, his left arm and face were all black, his boots were scorched pretty badly, he had a HUGE knot on his forehead where somebody’d cold-cocked him... And... well, we think the boy’s been... well, taken advantage of.”

“What do you mean ‘Taken advantage of?’” I heard my dad ask.

“Well, Al, it’s like this,” the Sheriff said. “The first men to get to your boy said he was unconscious; they found part of a gun by his body; his pants were down around his ankles, his crotch was smeared with KY Jelly and he was sportin’ a big boner...”

Then I heard Mr. Shattuck’s voice. “I always knew there was something wrong with that boy...This will probably keep him out of the army...”

And THAT’S why I don’t shoot black powder!

veeman
03-07-2023, 07:55 PM
Lmao! That was a good read!

GregLaROCHE
03-08-2023, 07:46 AM
I just loaded some .405 with black powder, they hold 77gr. Haven't found time to shoot them yet. I don't find the M95 Winchester in .405 a pleasant shooting experience with smokeless loads.

You don’t have a lever gun. The most I could ever squeeze into the cases for my Marlin was 65 grains. After trying a drop tube and compressing until the case split, I settled on 60 grains.

freakonaleash
03-08-2023, 10:35 AM
You don’t have a lever gun. The most I could ever squeeze into the cases for my Marlin was 65 grains. After trying a drop tube and compressing until the case split, I settled on 60 grains.
I sure thought a M1895 Winchester was a lever gun. I use a 30 inch drop tube and maybe a tenth inch of compression.

freakonaleash
03-08-2023, 10:36 AM
Why I Don’t Shoot Blackpowder!

Understand that from the time I could put together a rational thought, I’ve been fascinated by guns. My mother used to prop me in front of the little round picture box as a baby so I could watch men on horseback shooting at each other with guns...

The first “real” shooter I owned was a Mattel Fanner 50... it shot Mattel Shootin’ Shells and used Greenie Stick ‘Em caps. I was greased-lightning fast and Grim Reaper deadly with it... for my punishment of erroneous deeds my mom would take the gun away for a few days... dad, on the other hand, used the gunbelt for a more heartily applied punishment to the South end of this Northbound cowpoke. It seems like that gunbelt got as much [applied] use as that Fanner 50. Who knew old people would jump that high when you shot them in the butt? Sorry, Nana... but the bone china tea set dad bought to replace the one you were carrying was much prettier and newer than that 150 year old set you were always bragging to Aunt Gladys about... And Cousin Peter? Sorry about the eye, buddy. But at least it kept you out of the army...

When I was twelve I was shipped off for the summer to church camp, where I was introduced to the joys of the .22 Long Rifle cartridge. There were six shooters in my squad and we could choose from the six semi-auto and two bolt action rifles available. Even then it was evident I’d be a purist: I was the only one to choose a bolt action. While the other kids were busy shooting hundreds of rounds of ammo downrange as quickly as they could, I carefully aimed my bolt action in the general direction of the targets... while actually shooting birds over by the pond like Gary Cooper taught George Tobias to shoot turkeys in Sgt. York– “sorta from back to front...”, and imagining each of those evil birds was wearing a German helmet. I still say the counselors should have told us on Orientation Day. I mean, who even knew there WERE swans, huh? They looked like big ducks wearing holdup masks, if you really want to know the truth. Dad didn’t see it that way, though... especially since he had to pay for the swans– and they didn’t refund the seven weeks’ unused camp tuition when they expelled me, either. Did I mention what dad used my Fanner 50 gunbelt for?

After my exposure to the real thing at camp– albeit for only a brief period– I wasn’t too interested in playing with the Daisy BB guns my friends had. I was above owning one of those childish things... but not above borrowing one to play with every once in awhile. And Ritchie? Sorry about the eye, buddy. But at least it kept you out of the army...

I finally turned eighteen and could [legally] own my own black powder revolver, but I was just a bit short in the savings department. Not being the patient sort, I chose the most expedient means to get the money. As I look back now, I suppose I am sorry those junior high kids couldn’t turn in their paper route money that week...

I’d been looking at a pretty, brass-framed BP revolver in the case at Shattuck’s Hardware for a couple of months, and boy! Was I ever proud the day I went in and plunked down the money for it! Eleven dollars in one dollar bills... and eighteen dollars in quarter and dimes. Old Man Shattuck was a great old guy, whose eyesight, thankfully, had gotten really bad over the years... otherwise he’d have chased me out of the store like he used to after he caught me stealing that Barlow when I was thirteen... but he didn’t recognize me as he sold me the .36 caliber pistol... he even threw in a box of pure lead balls with the pistol and percussion caps when I bought the pound of black powder. I told Mr. Shattuck that I was anxious to shoot it and was heading straight for the dump, and asked him to show me how to load the gun. “It’s pretty simple,” I recall his telling me. “You measure your powder into the cylinder chamber, put a bullet over it, ram it down in with the hinged thing under the barrel, put your cap over a nipple, and you’re set to shoot.” I thanked him for his help and headed for the door.

“One last thing!” he called to me as I was running out the door, “Don’t forget to put grease over your balls! Crisco works fine!” I didn’t understand the need for the last part, but I stopped at Tony’s Grocery and bought a little blue can of Crisco grease. And now... to the dump! Where bottles and cans, rats and crows were just waiting for this ol’ cowboy to do ‘em in!

I replayed Mr. Shattuck’s instructions in my head as I laid out all my gear on the smoothed-out, brown paper bag at my feet. The first thing I realized was that I didn’t have anything to measure the powder with... UNTIL I remembered my knife! I carried one of those folding stag handled camper’s knives– you know, the ones with a fork on one side and a spoon on the other? The spoon was perfect for what I needed! Very carefully (thank heaven there wasn’t any wind blowing) I poured a spoonful of powder from the can into the spoon, then tipped the spoon up and tapped the powder into the cylinder. Sure, I spilled a bunch over because the spoon held so much more, but what the heck! Powder was cheap, back then... and I had plenty to spare...

Being a methodical kind of kid, I filled all six chambers with the powder, managing to spill as much around my feet, I suppose, as I was getting into the cylinder. I can laugh now, but when I bent over to get the bullets all the powder fell out of the cylinders onto my boots... so I had to fill them all over again! I managed to get all the chambers filled with powder and then stuck a bullet into the first cylinder... I had to really tap it in with my knife to get it started... then shoved it in as far as it would go with the rammer thing. I lost a little powder in the process, but eventually I had all six chambers loaded and ready to go. Then I put percussion caps over the things sticking out the ends of the cylinders...

Oops! I forgot a couple of things!

Now, I’ll admit my ignorance about a lot of things... but why I was supposed to smear Crisco on my balls is still a mystery to me. But I figured Old Man Shattuck knew what he was about, so I looked around to make sure I was alone, then dropped my pants to my knees, opened the can of Crisco and began to smear it over Lefty and Righty. Standing there in the hot summer sun, slowly massaging soft, silky grease into my scrotum... gee WHIZ! I guess the old man knew what he was talking about after all ! Welcome to the joys of shooting! I had to force myself out of my reverie...

One last thing and then I’d be ready to shoot... I took my baseball cap off and stuffed it inside my shirt over my left nipple. Okay... I guessed I was ready (except, of course, that in my haste I’d forgotten to pull up my pants...)

Well sir, I crooked my left arm out in front of my face, rested the trigger guard of the pistol in my right hand on it, drew a tight bead on an old Four Roses bottle, and squeezed the trigger. I remember a bright flash, a burning sensation on my arm and face, then something hit me square in the forehead and the lights went out.

It must have been quite sometime later when I awoke. I was laid out across the back seat of Sheriff Miller’s car (I knew this from the plexi-glass partition and a previous ride when I’d been sixteen), the rider’s side door was open and my feet and lower legs were hanging out. As I raised my head to look for the source of the voices I heard I felt like someone had hit me in the head with a sledgehammer. I could see two men in the dim, evening light, just outside the door and within my range of vision. At least, I thought they were two men... I could hear two speaking but they were sorta spinning around and they looked like six. From the voices I knew they were Sheriff Miller and my Dad...

“... busy on another call so the volunteer fire department was the first out here,” I heard the Sheriff explaining to my dad. “Mabel Krutchner called it in... said she saw smoke comin’ from the dump and had heard an awful explosion over this way."

“Near as I can tell from what the firemen say, when they got here they found your boy lying over there. At first they thought he was dead. The dump was on fire all around him, his left arm and face were all black, his boots were scorched pretty badly, he had a HUGE knot on his forehead where somebody’d cold-cocked him... And... well, we think the boy’s been... well, taken advantage of.”

“What do you mean ‘Taken advantage of?’” I heard my dad ask.

“Well, Al, it’s like this,” the Sheriff said. “The first men to get to your boy said he was unconscious; they found part of a gun by his body; his pants were down around his ankles, his crotch was smeared with KY Jelly and he was sportin’ a big boner...”

Then I heard Mr. Shattuck’s voice. “I always knew there was something wrong with that boy...This will probably keep him out of the army...”

And THAT’S why I don’t shoot black powder!

Cliffs Notes version?

T-Bird
03-08-2023, 10:54 AM
Dang Wallace!!! You need to do standup! That was HILARIOUS!

GregLaROCHE
03-08-2023, 12:14 PM
I sure thought a M1895 Winchester was a lever gun. I use a 30 inch drop tube and maybe a tenth inch of compression.

What size powder are you using?

freakonaleash
03-08-2023, 05:02 PM
What size powder are you using?

Goex Cartridge in that particular instance. Sometimes I use GOEX 2ff and sometimes crappy ol WANO 2ff.

44WCFKID
03-20-2023, 08:00 PM
All my lever guns shoot black, 44WCF and 38WCF and a 45-90. I love reloading with lead and black powder!

StrawHat
03-22-2023, 08:46 PM

Here is my Winchester Model 1895, chambered for the 405 WCF cartridge.

That loop thing under the receiver is a lever.

A closer view.

Kevin

smkummer
03-23-2023, 04:38 PM
I DO! I shoot BP in all of my old lever guns. I may shoot some smokeless in my Eye-talian guns. I really like the boom and the smell, just like old days.
I love blackpowder shooting if I can get someone to meticulously clean my vintage colts and Winchesters. So in that case, I only shoot it about once a year.