PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Yellow Brick Road RIP Gary Rossington 1951-2023

DougGuy
03-06-2023, 09:44 AM
We lost another original, Lynyrd Skynyrd founding member and guitarist Gary Rossington has died at age 71. Gary was one of the most underrated guitarists, he was a great guitar player, songwriter, and a great guy. Gary has long battled heart disease, but he soldiered on when his health would let him, he was the last of the founding members to go. That leaves Rickey Medlocke, an original member but not one of the founders, and Artimus Pyle, the drummer who came on board to replace original drummer and founding member Bob Burns.

From their humble and impoverished beginnings in the Florida swamps and the west side of Jacksonville, these guys were the real deal. A singer who never wrote down lyrics, Ronnie Van Zant said "if it ain't worth remembering, it ain't good" to the big time concert stages around the world, they worked their butts off, and the originality of their music and the songs we grew up with and paraded with us like anthems will forever be cherished by fans worldwide.

Rest In Peace Gary, they're all together now.

Dancing Bear
03-06-2023, 10:09 AM
One by one we're losing our generation. Rest in peace.
BTW, there's a great documentary on Lynyrd Skynyrd, cable (on demand).

Shawlerbrook
03-06-2023, 10:15 AM
Another great one to the beyond. RIP !!

truckerdave397
03-06-2023, 11:21 AM
It seem like the Lynyrd Skynyrd band has lost more than its share of band members. Rest in peace Gary.

Electrod47
03-06-2023, 11:36 AM
Now, he is a "FreeBird"......Yeah, they are missed.

Rapier
03-06-2023, 11:57 AM
Gary was the severely injured survivor of the 1977 plane crash that killed six. His slide guitar work is recognizable on every album. Living n LA, lower Alabama, Sweet Home Alabama is like an anthem around here. Their concerts were more like a backyard party, befitting their original name, The Backyard. Just a little band from Jacksonville.
Rip Gary

Riverpigusmc
03-06-2023, 06:07 PM
saw their first tour in a little place called the Rivoli Theatre, when Ed King and Bob Burns were still with the band. Saw their tour the year before the plane crash in the Indy Convention Center

compass will
03-06-2023, 06:45 PM
I saw them 4 months before the crash in the JFK stadium in phila. Then I saw the Rossington Collins band a couple of years later.

10x
03-07-2023, 10:03 AM
One by one we're losing our generation. Rest in peace.
BTW, there's a great documentary on Lynyrd Skynyrd, cable (on demand).

That music is still fresh and young. And when I hear it i think of dirt roads, sunshine, and good friends gathering.
Sweet Home Alabama was the first song my son learned to play and sing. That was 20 years after Sweet Home Alabama was released. It changed his life.

Gator 45/70
03-07-2023, 10:09 AM
Went to the concert, got the T shirt RIP Gary