PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Ingot

PopcornSutton
03-03-2023, 03:27 PM
How do you cut a chunk off of a ingot to add to a mix? If I need 1 pound off a 5 pound ingot, it's easy enough to measure it out where to cut, but do you saw it, break it, something else?

Springfield
03-03-2023, 04:36 PM
I use my bandsaw with a coarse blade, otherwise the lead binds it up .

HWooldridge
03-03-2023, 04:45 PM
I generally pour some quantity of 1 lb. ingots from the master batch and use the whole piece - but to answer your question, a hatchet will do in a pinch.

Pipefitter
03-03-2023, 04:50 PM
Wide cold chisel and a hammer works also. Sawzall, Porta-band, Take a torch and melt off what you need.

Froogal
03-03-2023, 06:03 PM
I use my Makita jig saw with an all purpose blade.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-03-2023, 09:31 PM
score it, then break it

PopcornSutton
03-04-2023, 08:06 AM
Thanks, I thought sawing would load up the blade if not careful. Using a chisel and hammer will be my first try, I can always saw it after if it doesn't work.

Sasquatch-1
03-04-2023, 09:47 AM
As mentioned, I would pre-melt it into smaller ingots.

Rapier
03-04-2023, 10:38 AM
I make alloy in a 100# pot and use a heavy axe and a tree stump, I do have tree stumps. I use two pieces of RR track plus an axe blunt back for breaking hard material like Linotype.

Froogal
03-04-2023, 11:08 AM
Thanks, I thought sawing would load up the blade if not careful. Using a chisel and hammer will be my first try, I can always saw it after if it doesn't work.

I've never had that issue with a coarse, all purpose blade. In fact, I've cut MANY ingots and the blade is still sharp.

Krh1326
03-04-2023, 07:59 PM
I too, make smaller ingots to make alloys…. However…
My source gives me incredibly large ( 100 lb plus ) chunks, for that, I actually use a chainsaw. I do spread out a drop cloth, to catch my ‘ saw dust’. I have also used my gas driven log splitter.
Once my chunks are smaller, I’ve used my shop press, with a modified splitting wedge, and then finally extra large bolt cutters.
I prefer the methods, that aren’t saws, but believe it or not, chainsaw flies thru it.

BLAHUT
03-04-2023, 08:09 PM
How do you cut a chunk off of a ingot to add to a mix? If I need 1 pound off a 5 pound ingot, it's easy enough to measure it out where to cut, but do you saw it, break it, something else?

Axe or log splitter

country gent
03-04-2023, 09:09 PM
Use chalk in the blade as a cutting lubricant it will help keep the blade from loading up. Wax also works well for this. Another trick if you have a drill press is a good sized forester bit and drill into the ingot catching the chips to use as you get a series of holes the ingot will be able to be broken

GregLaROCHE
03-05-2023, 01:26 AM
If you have access to a big press, you could try cutting it with a wedge.

BJung
03-05-2023, 03:14 AM
I cast ingots using the Lee mold. I also use a diving weight mold. To break the Lee mold, I'll wack it with a hammer and bend it enough times forward and back until it breaks. If it doesn't break, I use bolt cutters to bite as much of the corners and hammer again. The ingots and square diving weights always break then.

lightman
03-05-2023, 01:21 PM
I've cut them with an ax, a wedge and hammer, various saws with course blades and I have held them over the pot and melted what I wanted. I cut sheet lead with an air chisel.

TNsailorman
03-05-2023, 02:19 PM
It depends on how large the ingot is as to how I approached it. If the small ingots, I would use a hacksaw with a courser blade that I sprayed with light oil and larger ones I used both an ax and a hand saw on the few that I had scrounged. I never bought or produced the larger sizes of ingots, too much trouble to handle for this old boy. just me anyway, james

kevin c
03-05-2023, 02:24 PM
How precise does the weight added have to be? How much alloy are you mixing up?

A fairly long, skinny ingot can be dipped into the molten alloy up to your mark, and eventually everything below it will melt off. I’d use vice grips to avoid hand fatigue and burns.

fredj338
03-05-2023, 04:11 PM
Why cut? Mark a line on the ingot & just hold it in the pot with some channel locks. I’m a keep it simple guy. Its not a precision measuring event.

dondiego
03-05-2023, 08:00 PM
This subject is addressed every 3 months..................

Sasquatch-1
03-06-2023, 06:47 AM
Looking back at the OP a five pound ingot should be fairly easy to melt into smaller ingots. I would get a mini muffin pan and make some half pound ingots.

TXTad
03-06-2023, 11:30 AM
This subject is addressed every 3 months..................

I have been thinking about this. I try to dig in the FAQ and in old posts* and having been on the internet since 1983, my search skills are reasonably decent. However, sometimes I just cannot find what I am looking for and I just post a question that I know has been answered so it's at the top of the "new posts" search.

I wonder if a Wiki or some other form of documentation rather than a long list of FAQ posts might be easier.

* A Google search in the form of "site:castboolits.gunloads.com keyword1 keyword2 etc" is very powerful. No quotes, but if you do put quotes around a single keyword or phrase, that tells Google that the result must have that in it.

dondiego
03-06-2023, 12:13 PM
I have been thinking about this. I try to dig in the FAQ and in old posts* and having been on the internet since 1983, my search skills are reasonably decent. However, sometimes I just cannot find what I am looking for and I just post a question that I know has been answered so it's at the top of the "new posts" search.

I wonder if a Wiki or some other form of documentation rather than a long list of FAQ posts might be easier.

* A Google search in the form of "site:castboolits.gunloads.com keyword1 keyword2 etc" is very powerful. No quotes, but if you do put quotes around a single keyword or phrase, that tells Google that the result must have that in it.

I didn't mean to sound like a jerk. I ask questions that have been answered many times as well.

CWME
03-06-2023, 12:46 PM
For future reference if ever needed. The chainsaw will make quick work of sailboat keels. I cut a keel up into manageable pieces. I then went to the woodpile and cut a cord with the same chain without sharpening.

FISH4BUGS
03-07-2023, 09:24 AM

I discovered a table saw with a carbide blade.
I just cut up a 25lb linotype pig into 4 pieces easy as pie.
melted those pieces in my lead pot and made 1 lb ingots.
Go slow, take your time and it works slick as all get out.
Wear a mask and clean up the lead shavings and all is good.

Rickf1985
03-07-2023, 11:42 AM
Use the chips as starter material for empty pots. makes for faster startups and much easier on the pot.

Eddie Southgate
03-07-2023, 01:52 PM
Rebar cutter.

BJung
03-13-2023, 10:51 PM
This is how I break my ingots apart. If thin, the cut ingots break apart like hardtack. If they refuse to break apart, I bend them a few times with the hammer311614

Liberty1776
03-24-2023, 12:09 AM
If you have a giant hunk of lead, use a chainsaw.

A YouTube boatbuilder needed to cut his lead keel into reasonable chunks.

He used a chain saw. Put down a tarp to catch the chips for remelting.

mike_kaleigh
03-25-2023, 06:58 PM
I use my log splitter, only for big stuff

Gobeyond
03-25-2023, 08:12 PM
I usually find an answer to my questions on here. If I have trouble I put on the thinking cap and make my own decision on minor stuff. On this one, a hot, not full pot is the fastest way for me. Last time I measured one fifth of the ingot. Dipped in a pot with c clamp vice grips. It just stands there and melts in 5 or 10 minutes. You guys are all hard workers for sure!!!

Sasquatch-1
03-26-2023, 09:06 AM
I was just going to say, it's amazing how this went from a 5 lb. ingot to sailboat keels. :veryconfu

A 5 lb. ingot is easy to melt with a propane torch.