PDA

View Full Version : Jennings J22 help

Doughty
03-01-2023, 02:56 PM
I need some help with a Jennings J22 pistol. I need the specs on the firing pin spring. OD, ID, wire diameter, number of coils and the overall length. Or if you know where I can find an original one, that would be nice.

Thanks, Richard

LAGS
03-01-2023, 04:35 PM
I still have a Jennings J-22.
I can do some measurements for you later today.
I know I replaced a spring on another one I had before and might still have the original spring.
I found with the J-22.
It is best and most reliable to fire 22 Stingers out of it.
Otherwise , it doesn't cycle reliably.

turtlezx
03-01-2023, 04:55 PM
remember in the 90s could dealer buy 3 for $100

LAGS
03-01-2023, 05:08 PM
The spring measures.
O.D. .214
I.D. .160
Wire dia. .025
Length 1.825
I hope that helps.
I do remember that when I replaced that spring a few years back.
I found a spring at a Ace hardware store.

Doughty
03-01-2023, 11:49 PM
LAGS, Thanks for the quick reply with measurements. Also the about the Stringers. It's not my gun, but I will pass it along to the owner.

Bored1
03-01-2023, 11:53 PM
If Ace hardware doesn't work Numrich has them in stock for 5.50 plus shipping

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/2050650A

Doughty
03-02-2023, 12:19 AM
Bored1, Thanks, I just ordered 2. Back in November I believe, I checked Numrich and they didn't have any. I've checked Jack First and all the local shops. Decided today I was going to have to try to find an alternate spring or, last resort, try to make one.

Thanks again to all!

ulav8r
03-02-2023, 01:39 AM
When measuring a srping, the spacing between coils is very important. Close spacing makes a weaker spring than wide spacing.

armoredman
03-02-2023, 01:47 AM
40 years ago I replaced a Jennings firing pin spring with one out of a pen - it worked as reliably as it did before...

Doughty
03-02-2023, 10:46 AM
ulav8r, I agree, the spacing is important.

armoredman, that was my first thought when my friend asked for help, and I already have a bunch of small springs.

LAGS
03-02-2023, 11:20 AM
Little problems like this missing spring is why I save springs.
I have a drawer in one of my parts storage boxes that is just Springs.
If I find a spring on something that is broken or getting thrown out.
I save the springs.
I have a bunch , and I have used a bunch to make things or repair things.
In fact.
I have a Tokarev that I am rebuilding that I am going to replace the magazine release lever spring.
I probably have several springs that are the right diameters , and just have to be cut to length.
I also save broken or worn out drill bits or the shanks.
They too have come in handy to use to replace or make Pins

jdgabbard
03-02-2023, 11:59 AM
I still have a Jennings J-22.
I can do some measurements for you later today.
I know I replaced a spring on another one I had before and might still have the original spring.
I found with the J-22.
It is best and most reliable to fire 22 Stingers out of it.
Otherwise , it doesn't cycle reliably.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who still has one of these little boogers. Ugly as sin, haven't shot it in 15-20 years, and wouldn't trust it as a weight on a trotline. But every once in a while you just have to pull it out of the safe to remind yourself how bad things could get! Thanks for sharing the info, I came to this thread just to see if I could help him with something...

rintinglen
03-02-2023, 12:12 PM
Mine reposes somewhere in the safe, but it rode for years in a hand-cuff case as an Onion Field gun. Sort of a back-up to a back-up, in case some one got the drop on me. Mine was only reliable with 40 grain Hi-speed lead bullet ammo. Federal and Remington Thunderbolts would empty a magazine, while I never found a hollow point that worked.

Uncle Grinch
03-02-2023, 12:38 PM
I used to have a Jenning 22 many years ago. It was very reliable, especially for what they cost back then. Used to carry it in my back pocket. If I remember correctly, it could hold 7 rounds.

Rusty Goose
03-03-2023, 01:37 AM
Jennings J22 was the first gun I bought myself when I was 18, I think I paid something like $55 for it. Had it about 6 mos and traded it off at a gun show. It started a long history of starting low and trading up. I used to think it was the cheapest piece of junk I ever owned. Then I got a Lorcin .380 in on a trade. The J22 didn't look so bad then.

LAGS
03-03-2023, 12:46 PM
The Jennings was a way more reliable than the Lorcins that my wife liked because they were chrome with Pink Grips.

Electrod47
03-03-2023, 02:53 PM
40 years ago I replaced a Jennings firing pin spring with one out of a pen - it worked as reliably as it did before...

I did that also back in the 80's. Why didn't I keep that thing. It worked and cost nothing...Oh well.

Doughty
03-07-2023, 06:43 PM
Got the springs in today. It fit in with no problems. Went to the range and test fired it with 3 different brands of ammo. No problems. Thanks again Bored1. Time to call my friend and let him know.

Bored1
03-11-2023, 01:34 AM
No problem! Glad it helped. Found an odd/ oddball part I was looking for at numrich a few months ago and figured they'd probably have that too! Nice that you got it working for next to nothing. I really hate when trying to fix something costs more than buying a new one, so glad it worked out this time!