PDA

View Full Version : S&W SD9VE opinions?

FergusonTO35
03-01-2023, 02:35 PM
Anybody ever try an S&W SD9? Been looking at them at work and I really like the super simple design, ergonomics, and trigger pull. Takes M&P sights. The gray frame/black slide looks really nice and is the same price as the regular one. Anybody try boolits in one?

metricmonkeywrench
03-01-2023, 02:49 PM
If i remember correctly there are two versions one Pre Glock lawsuit and one Post lawsuit. My son had one of the earlier versions and it worked quite well for what they are. My only issue was the trigger pull which was a bit of a hard pull.

FergusonTO35
03-01-2023, 04:01 PM
Thanks. I believe that was the old Sigma series, which the SD is descended from. The pull of the examples at my local shop is sort of a light double action, which is just fine with me.

rintinglen
03-01-2023, 06:06 PM
The only SD I've used had a pretty poor trigger. Not super heavy like the old Sigmas had, but gritty and jerky. I only put a mag through it, and it seemed to function all right, my kid's friend who owned it ran a box of cheapy fmj's through it and I had a partial box of Hornady Critical Defense that I shot with no malfunctions. For the money, I thought it was ok. IIRC, He got it for 359 at Cabelas Black Friday. His is black with a Stainless slide.

Tradbowhunter
03-01-2023, 07:29 PM
I have one and enjoy shooting it. As stated above the trigger is crunchy but seems to be getting better. I will say that if you are planning on running cast lead through it, do yourself a favor and slug the barrel right from the start. I spent alot of time, cleaning lead out of the barrel before i got it to stop leading. Sized at .355 resulted in not being able to see the riflings after 2 magazines. Worked my way up to .357 and now I can shoot almost all day.

jimb16
03-01-2023, 08:35 PM
I had one too and got rid of it. The trigger pull was terrible. Actually it was worse than terrible. I never could get it cleaned up. It convinced me that I never wanted another one.

MarkP
03-01-2023, 09:42 PM
I have one in 40 S&W that I bought cheap on GB about 10 yrs ago; I am a S&W revolver guy and the 40 S&W and an Automag III are my only CF autos. As others have said heavy trigger but I am used to shooting revolvers single action. I did not find the trigger pull horrible. I have large hands and it fits my hand well. It shoots cast just fine, never had a jam or misfire. Only shot maybe 200 to 250 rnds thru it. Includes a box of 50 fmj's.

FergusonTO35
03-01-2023, 10:18 PM
Thanks. The triggers on the SD's I've examined were no worse than anything else in that price range i.e. Taurus and Ruger. I size everything .38 and 9mm to .358.

JRD
03-02-2023, 09:51 AM
If you consider what the SD series of pistols is intended for are have realistic expectations, they are a very good option. The SD is a budget priced polymer frame self defense pistol.
In that role, I think they work just fine. In my opinion they make a great house gun or similar concept. As a striker fired plastic gun, the SD doesn't have trigger like a Colt Gold Cup, but I think it's competitive with anything else in the plastic self defense market.
Complaints about the trigger are best directed to the discontinued Sigma series pistols (which were indeed terribly heavy), but I think the SD has good ergonomics, functions reliably from good magazines, has ample self defense level accuracy, and an acceptable trigger for a polymer pistol.
Just manage your expectations. It's never going to have the crisp trigger of a tuned 1911 or a revolver in single action, nor is a match or competition pistol, but for what it's intended to be- it's solid.
At least that's my opinion.

pworley1
03-02-2023, 09:58 AM
The two I have had were both good dependable pistols. They have been replaced by the MP Shield which fit me much better.

Bigslug
03-02-2023, 10:05 AM
The Sigma series seemed like a cheesy Glock copy to me, and I was always highly dubious about their need to put a felt cylinder inside the coil of the trigger return spring. Felt? That might get soaked in oil or water? Seriously???

FergusonTO35
03-02-2023, 10:31 AM
If you consider what the SD series of pistols is intended for are have realistic expectations, they are a very good option. The SD is a budget priced polymer frame self defense pistol.
In that role, I think they work just fine. In my opinion they make a great house gun or similar concept. As a striker fired plastic gun, the SD doesn't have trigger like a Colt Gold Cup, but I think it's competitive with anything else in the plastic self defense market.
Complaints about the trigger are best directed to the discontinued Sigma series pistols (which were indeed terribly heavy), but I think the SD has good ergonomics, functions reliably from good magazines, has ample self defense level accuracy, and an acceptable trigger for a polymer pistol.
Just manage your expectations. It's never going to have the crisp trigger of a tuned 1911 or a revolver in single action, nor is a match or competition pistol, but for what it's intended to be- it's solid.
At least that's my opinion.

Thanks, that's my opinion of them too. Another thing I like is that parts are cheap and widely available. I actually like the design alot, very simple with little to go wrong. The materials used are the same as other quality guns and I've had good success with my S&W revolvers, so I see no reason why the SD wouldn't also be a good gun.

trapper9260
03-02-2023, 10:42 AM
I have one and shoot mainly cast in it, like stated slug your barrel. I shoot up to 147 grs cast in it and once you are use to the gun it is fine. To me each gun has its own personality. I do size my boolits to 357 with this one. I also after a cleaning I run a patch of JPW in it and it works good for the next firing . I size and lube ,I make my own NRA lube with ATF . It works in all I use it in.

jdgabbard
03-02-2023, 12:10 PM
I own a SD9VE, and I actually like it quite a bit. I keep it in the nightstand in case of bumps in the night.

Its a reliable firearm at a working-man's price. Which, ironically is what the glock was designed to be - a utilitarian gun, not a top of the line gun. As mentioned before, the triggers leave a little to be desired. It's has some take-up and isn't the most crisp. But it is serviceable for a pistol. I bought mine back in about 2012 for $259+tax from a Uhaul/Custom Motorcycle Shop (weird combo, I know). The sights are as good/slightly better than stock Glock sights. The only annoyance I had with the pistol is it has a plastic insert into the back of the grip that always slid out. Not sure what it was used for, but I epoxied it into the grip (just a few dabs so it could be removed if needed) of the gun so it wouldn't keep sliding out. I shoot it regularly, and it has been one of the best firearm investments I've made.

As for the older Sigmas, yes, this is a derivative of them. You hear horror stories about those older guns from the 90s and early 2000s about as often as you hear their praise. Personally, I've shot a few of the older ones and while cheaper guns they weren't terrible. But the SD9VE does seem a little more refined than those earlier examples.

If you're looking at buying one, I would recommend it if you're getting a decent price on one. If they're asking the same price as a higher quality firearm you might pass. But I've never been disappointed with mine.

jdgabbard
03-02-2023, 12:10 PM
I have one and enjoy shooting it. As stated above the trigger is crunchy but seems to be getting better. I will say that if you are planning on running cast lead through it, do yourself a favor and slug the barrel right from the start. I spent alot of time, cleaning lead out of the barrel before i got it to stop leading. Sized at .355 resulted in not being able to see the riflings after 2 magazines. Worked my way up to .357 and now I can shoot almost all day.

This is exactly what I experienced, 0.357" is my goto sizer for the SD9VE.

FergusonTO35
03-02-2023, 02:14 PM
I have one and shoot mainly cast in it, like stated slug your barrel. I shoot up to 147 grs cast in it and once you are use to the gun it is fine. To me each gun has its own personality. I do size my boolits to 357 with this one. I also after a cleaning I run a patch of JPW in it and it works good for the next firing . I size and lube ,I make my own NRA lube with ATF . It works in all I use it in.

Thanks, please give me the recipe for that lube.

FergusonTO35
03-02-2023, 02:20 PM
I own a SD9VE, and I actually like it quite a bit. I keep it in the nightstand in case of bumps in the night.

Its a reliable firearm at a working-man's price. Which, ironically is what the glock was designed to be - a utilitarian gun, not a top of the line gun. As mentioned before, the triggers leave a little to be desired. It's has some take-up and isn't the most crisp. But it is serviceable for a pistol. I bought mine back in about 2012 for $259+tax from a Uhaul/Custom Motorcycle Shop (weird combo, I know). The sights are as good/slightly better than stock Glock sights. The only annoyance I had with the pistol is it has a plastic insert into the back of the grip that always slid out. Not sure what it was used for, but I epoxied it into the grip (just a few dabs so it could be removed if needed) of the gun so it wouldn't keep sliding out. I shoot it regularly, and it has been one of the best firearm investments I've made.

As for the older Sigmas, yes, this is a derivative of them. You hear horror stories about those older guns from the 90s and early 2000s about as often as you hear their praise. Personally, I've shot a few of the older ones and while cheaper guns they weren't terrible. But the SD9VE does seem a little more refined than those earlier examples.

If you're looking at buying one, I would recommend it if you're getting a decent price on one. If they're asking the same price as a higher quality firearm you might pass. But I've never been disappointed with mine.

Around here they go for mid-300's, about the same as the Ruger Security 9 which I don't think is as good a gun as the SD or even the Taurus G3. I have two Glock 19's, a Glock 26, and Browning Hi-Power. It might seem like a backwards step to add a "lesser" gun when I already have a few good ones, but I like variety. I also have a Taurus G3C as my go-to when I don't want to pack something expensive, and it works really well.

No, it's not odd to buy a gun from a Uhaul/motorcycle place. Alot of totally unrelated businesses have FFL's, I've bought guns from a hair salon and a pet store.

fixit
03-02-2023, 02:22 PM
I have one, carried it until I threw out my back. The trigger as I received it was just OK, but there are things that can be done to improve it, just look only. There exists a spring kit, and there is a do it yourself lawyer spring removal that can be done.

FergusonTO35
03-02-2023, 04:18 PM
Yeah, I've been reading about that. From what I can tell, the Sigma trigger was so heavy because it had two extra springs that were totally unnecessary for function. Depending on what you read, the two extra springs were supposed to give it a DA revolver type trigger at the request of LE customers and/or were added as part of the Glock settlement. The SD simply doesn't have them, and Apex sells a spring kit and new trigger which improves it further.

As an aside, my gen. 5 Glock 19 is the first Glock I've ever tried where I really like the OEM trigger and don't want to modify it in any way. My two gen. 4's got a thorough Flitz polish and my two 42's required a minus connector and 4.5 pound striker springs.

MFGordon
03-02-2023, 08:29 PM
I have owned a Sigma (SW9VE) for about a dozen years now and have fired thousands of rounds through it almost all cast reloads. It has never failed me and shoots about as well as any Glock I ever shot. The trigger is long and heavy and was , I guess, intended to mimic the double action trigger of a revolver. If you shoot double action revolvers a lot there's nothing to complain about. It's a lot a gun for the small amount I paid for it.

FergusonTO35
03-02-2023, 10:29 PM
I remember that during the couple of years where both the SD and Sigma were available you could get the latter for like two bills if you shopped around. Heavy trigger or not, that's always a good deal for a USA made pistol from a respected maker.

William Yanda
03-03-2023, 10:34 AM
Didn't S&W admit that some of these were designed for a limited number of rounds as opposed to a lifetime of regular use?

jdgabbard
03-03-2023, 11:28 AM
Didn't S&W admit that some of these were designed for a limited number of rounds as opposed to a lifetime of regular use?

I've never once heard that. If that is the case, I think I surpassed their limit probably 10-20 thousand rounds ago. No seriously, I've put probably close to 30 Thousand cast loads through mine, and it's still in awesome shape. Actually, I was just thinking I should probably replace my magazine springs at this point...

skrapyard628
03-03-2023, 12:18 PM
Ive got one of the older SW40VE pistols. I even picked up a complete 9mm slide for it. Gun was $200 new ($250 with a $50 rebate when I got it) and the 9mm slide was $75. The 9mm mags supposedly dont fit the frame for the 40 so I just squeezed in the feed lips on a couple 40 mags and I use them for 9mm. Surprisingly it feeds 9mm fine with the modded mags.

The trigger on it was long, gritty, and about 12lbs when it was new. I sanded and cleaned up the plastic areas around where the "sear" is and that helped the gritty problem, and then tossed an apex spring kit into it. Not sure exactly how many pounds the pull is now but it feels like about 6lbs. Im happy with what I use it for. Its my chrono testing gun. Whenever Im loading a new combo of bullet/powder the sigma comes out.

Its never failed to go bang, and it feeds any ammo I feed it so its been a decent gun for how cheap it was. And Ive been purposely neglecting any cleaning on it just to see if it will ever fail. I lost count after around 10k rounds through it, and It still hasnt been cleaned or had any malfunctions. I do add more oil to the sludge pool inside of it occasionally, and check the barrel/run a brush through it once in a while.

ACC
03-03-2023, 09:49 PM
I have the SD9 and SD 40. Very accurate. Will take any ammo I have put through them. Nothing but cast. The trigger gets a lot better after about 200 rounds.

ACC

FergusonTO35
03-04-2023, 12:27 AM

That would be the short lived Sigma .380. Good idea that was very poorly executed. As I understand it, S&W will swap you a new Bodyguard for it.

JRD
03-04-2023, 08:48 PM
The “felt” inside the trigger return spring isn’t felt. I don’t know what exactly it is, but it’s definitely resistant to whatever chemicals a gun may encounter. I’ve heard it called a cigarette filter…. Its purpose is to dampen vibration in the extension spring.
The SD has a new sear mechanism compared to the Sigma which had a terrible trigger pull.

FergusonTO35
03-04-2023, 11:35 PM
On the topic of Sigmas, there was a very short lived 9mm version of the Sigma .380. A gun that was marginal in .380 was up sized a bit and chambered in 9mm. As I understand they were recalled not long after introduction due to fragmenting slides. If S&W had simply downsized the standard Sigma producing a real subcompact locked breech 9mm they would have been way ahead of everybody else.

FergusonTO35
03-05-2023, 10:03 AM
Well, guess I am now committed to buying an SD. Just won five new factory 16 round mags for c-note on GB.:oops:

CastingFool
03-05-2023, 10:18 AM
No, it's not odd to buy a gun from a Uhaul/motorcycle place. Alot of totally unrelated businesses have FFL's, I've bought guns from a hair salon and a pet store.[/QUOTE]

I've bought a couple guns from a place that prints stuff on t-shirts, etc

FergusonTO35
03-08-2023, 08:39 PM
Picked up the SD9 today and I'm impressed. The trigger is actually decent. Kind of heavy (which is hardly unique) but really smooth and repeatable. Definitely not the gritty 40 pound trigger that the Sigma had, in fact it feels better than the stock trigger on my gen. 4 Glocks when they were new. All my lead bullet loads plunk in the chamber just fine. Only thing I don't like so far is the notch on the rear sight is too big for my taste. The SD uses the same sights as the M&P so there should be a lot of options. Hope to make noise with it on Friday!

Tradbowhunter
03-09-2023, 10:53 AM
Hope you enjoy it as much as i do Ferguson! Shoot enough rounds through it and you wont have to worry about the rear sights.

FergusonTO35
03-09-2023, 11:53 AM
Thanks. If I like it enough I'll probably get a .40 to match. Interestingly, the shop had an older SD40 under the glass, and the trigger pull was alot worse. It looks like S&W changed the trigger mechanism at some point. Judging from used parts on Fleabay, some SD's had the Sigma style sear assembly.

Johnch
03-09-2023, 05:03 PM
I have a Sigma in 40 S&W (SW40VE I think )

YEARS ago a friend cleaned up the trigger on it for me
It was never really bad , just a bit heavy and a LONG pull
But when he was done it was smooth and the trigger pull is about 6 lb now
Not great , but a big improvement

Never had problems with it
I still sometimes stick it in the armrest when I go fishing

John

FergusonTO35
03-09-2023, 06:17 PM
I took the SD9 for a quick test drive behind the house after work today with my pet cast bullet load. Every round functioned perfectly and fouling seemed to be minimal. The bad news is, most shots were low left. Which always means that me and the trigger are not getting along. The Apex spring kit is only 20.00 so I went ahead and ordered one. The good news is, the shots that I didn't pull seemed to be dead on. So it will be a work in progress!

FergusonTO35
03-09-2023, 08:27 PM
Also, don't know why I didn't think of this before. I prefer the front dot on a handgun sight to sit at the bottom of the rear notch. The SD9 notch is too deep to sight this way. I have some scraps of black stick-on grip material from my Glocks, basically an adhesive backed rubbery plastic. I trimmed a strip to fit the width of the notch and stuck it in place. Added another strip on top of that and now the notch is perfect for my taste. I might also black out the rear dots as none of my other pistols have a three dot setup.

FergusonTO35
03-17-2023, 05:09 PM
Apex kit showed up and I put it in the SD9. This one came with RP springs for trigger, firing pin, and firing pin plunger. The sear spring was missing so I sent the company a message about it. Once installed, the difference was pretty dramatic even with the OEM sear spring. I would guess it went from over 8 pounds to about 5, and the take up is a lot smoother.

I fired some of my favorite loads (3.8 grains HP-38/130 grain LFP) in the backyard and now the pistol is way easier to shoot with accuracy. In fact I can now stage the trigger for a really nice break. Accuracy seems to be pretty close to my Glock 19, I'm sure it will get better the more I shoot it. As an added bonus the bore is really shiny and it actually has a throat, so lead slugs do great. Planning to get an SD40 also at some point.

460S&W
03-22-2023, 09:04 AM
I’ve got a fair amount of experience in selling these when they first came out and my advice was if you couldn’t spend more than it is was an okish pistol for the money, however, I usually tried to tell people to save up a bit more for something nicer.

FergusonTO35
03-22-2023, 09:17 AM
With the spring kit installed, I really don't see the SD as inferior to any other pistol in the sub-$600.00 range. The design is simple and solid, the materials and workmanship seem up to the standards of any other competitive marque out there including Ruger, Glock, and Springfield. Like the gen. 1-3 Glocks it is a take it or leave it product not available with any options such as grip shape and angle or a manual safety. If that works for you and you are happy with that configuration, I'm not sure what else you would gain by spending more. So far, I'm impressed with it!

FergusonTO35
03-26-2023, 07:34 PM
I've now put around 200 rounds through the SD9 and it is doing well. The pistol seems to be dead on with my pet load of 3.8 grains HP-38/Arsenal 358-130-RF at 1.070. Does pretty good with the Lee 356-120 too. It has never malfunctioned in any way and the barrel really seems to like lead slugs. I now have a paddle holster and mag pouch for the SD9 so it can accompany me in the woods.

Only things I don't like about it in stock form are the trigger pull (easily remedied with the spring kit) and the depth of the rear sight notch. The way I aim, I have the front dot sitting at the bottom of the notch, which hits low with this pistol. I built up the notch with a small strip of stick-on grip material and now it is perfect. So far I really like this pistol, and look forward to wringing it out more.

barnetmill
03-26-2023, 09:43 PM
The only defect with my sigma 9mm is the trigger pull. I am carrying it right now at this moment as my house gun. I have had for about 20 yrs. I have shot a few water moccasins with mine and one possum.
I am planning to replace it with a glock that can accept the holosun red dot, it has a heavy trigger also, but it is still better than what trigger the sigma has on it.

FergusonTO35
03-26-2023, 10:43 PM
Gen 5 Glock 19 for the win, I have one and is sweet. The stock trigger pull feels really good to me. Light take up and then a smooth rolling break. Mine is apparently a very early one because it doesn't have front slide serrations.

deltaenterprizes
03-26-2023, 11:40 PM
I worked as a Range Safety Officer for the Sheriff’s Department back half for 20 years and we had so many problems with the cheap SVs that they Captain over the Training Department banned them for duty use!
I would not bet my life on one!

FergusonTO35
03-27-2023, 11:14 AM
How long ago was that? I have read that the 90's Sigmas were replete with problems. My usual shop won't sell any gun that has alot of comebacks, and he always has the new SD's in stock. Two of my co-workers have SD's and report no problems.

FergusonTO35
04-05-2023, 02:52 PM
Ugh,I think I got da fever. Local pawn shop had a cherry SD9 under the glass. Exterior was perfect, not even any wear marks from the slide on the barrel, shiny bore. I asked their low price, they said three bills total and I could layaway it, so I did.

FergusonTO35
04-08-2023, 09:26 AM
Gave my SD some exercise yesterday. More than any gun I've ever had, this thing will punish you for errors in grip or trigger pull. Even the placement of your trigger finger has a significant effect. I also switched the rear sight for that of an M&P. Sight picture is way better now, even though there's little visual difference between the two.

FergusonTO35
04-14-2023, 07:56 PM
Did the same trick to the M&P rear sight that I did the original. I built up the bottom of the notch with strips of grip tape until the front dot sits neatly on it as I prefer. Gave it some exercise with 3.8 grains IMR Target under an Arsenal 358-130-RF and she did awesome. I'm really growing to like the SD trigger with the spring kit. It's really smooth and can stage it pretty easily. I'm still amazed at how much this pistol likes boolits, she just eats 'em right up with good accuracy and minimal fouling. Come to think of it, I've never put a single factory round or anything jacketed through it.

FergusonTO35
06-08-2023, 03:56 PM
I'm still shooting the SD9 and can now shoot it as well as my trusty Glock 19's and Browning Hi-Power. This pistol is very boolit friendly from the get go, including the Lee 356-120-TC which not all pistols get along with. 3.8 grains IMR Target or 3.2 grains IMR 700X are very accurate with the Lee boolit and also Arsenal 359-130-RF.

shootingblanks00
06-08-2023, 06:21 PM
I bought my SW9VE back in 2010 all it eats all the 9mm cast snacks I made for it. Been shooting them all this time and have never had one complaint.

William Yanda
06-09-2023, 08:06 AM
Gave my SD some exercise yesterday. More than any gun I've ever had, this thing will punish you for errors in grip or trigger pull. Even the placement of your trigger finger has a significant effect. I also switched the rear sight for that of an M&P. Sight picture is way better now, even though there's little visual difference between the two.

Thanks for confirming, I believe, that M&P sights will interchange.

FergusonTO35
09-08-2023, 10:43 AM
Well, now I have three of these very cast friendly pistols. Found a nice example on GB with two 10 round mags for a $150.00 starting bid. Nobody else wanted it so it is now mine, picked it up at the FFL yesterday. It already has the lighter springs installed and has a really nice trigger pull, on top of that it has a higher serial number than my other two.

barnetmill
09-08-2023, 12:22 PM
My is loaded with +P+ federal at the moment. Gun has never jammed. But I do have some rust on the slide hold open catch. Got a little on the slide also from keeping it in a sweat soaked holster 24-7 for years. I carry it in a bandoleer holster.

FergusonTO35
09-08-2023, 12:30 PM
I'm a big fan of cheap or modestly priced stuff that works really well, and the SD is a shining example. Even at new retail you are getting a great pistol and, since nobody respects them, a nice used example for cheap is even better. I love how it has a super simple design and parts are easy to find too. Good job S&W!

Scorpion8
09-08-2023, 01:31 PM
I've had a SW40VE and stupidly sold it, but now have 2 SW9VE's and they are great. Simple, reliable and have never had a malfunction with one. I've never had to trust my life to one, but there is one next to the bed-side at night. I even used Glock extended slide lock release levers to improve the slide lock release take-down ability. I find they fit my hand very, very well. And they digest anything I feed them. 'Nuff said.

FergusonTO35
09-10-2023, 11:28 PM
Gave the new to me SD9 a test drive today and it shoots great, just like the other two. Still amazed at how cast friendly this barrel is, nothing but lube and powder fouling. In all my other pistols it's not uncommon to get some little streaks of leading in the lands but not with the SD's. Now to find an SD40 for cheap!

JeffG
09-13-2023, 12:59 AM
I've had an SD9VE for at least 10 years now. Nothing but cast through it and have shot maybe 8000 rounds through it. An Apex Tactical trigger/spring kit in it which is nice , along with Truglo flourescent sights. Been a great gun.

trapper9260
09-13-2023, 05:58 AM
The thing I have with the one I have it the sight that I work with , to get it to shoot on center is put the front o on top the 2 oo rear ones and it is dead center. For what ever i shoot in it , at first I had my gunsmith try it and check it and had his brother shoot it . It was shooing the same way for them. After I worked with it . I got it to shoot the way I posted , It shoots the same way as my Keltec P32 . I did let one person shoot it and told him what to do to shoot it and he cold not believe how dead on it is , that is why my own cast loads , factory will shoot dead on also for shooting the same way. Just to say for how I got my to work the way I wanted and use to to it.

FergusonTO35
09-13-2023, 08:59 AM
You have to aim with the front dot above the rear dots? That's way off, you ought to contact S&W about it.

Texas by God
09-13-2023, 10:09 AM
I’ll take a pistol that hits high over a pistol that hits low every day of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Combat Diver
09-13-2023, 02:02 PM
Acquired a SW9VE in Afghanistan. Don't know how it got there but it only had one mag. Cut a new notch in plentiful M9 mags and while the bottom looked funny it worked 100%. We 0nly shot about a thousand rounds of M882 124 gr Ball thru it. No issues.

pertnear
09-13-2023, 05:14 PM
Considering the price/performance this is a great pistol. I bought mine used so cheap I won't post $$$ here. I don't shoot lead through it but it has never missed a beat with plated 115 gr bullet reloads. The trigger was a typical 5-lb pull. There are plenty of videos on YouTube about improving the trigger. I replaced one small spring & carefully polished the sear surfaces & now the trigger is great!

barnetmill
09-13-2023, 09:23 PM
Acquired a SW9VE in Afghanistan. Don't know how it got there but it only had one mag. Cut a new notch in plentiful M9 mags and while the bottom looked funny it worked 100%. We 0nly shot about a thousand rounds of M882 124 gr Ball thru it. No issues.

They were issued IIRC to some police organizations over that way.

(Amex: SWB), the legendary 154-year old company in the global business of safety, security, protection and sport, today announced it has secured a $15 million order to supply its SW9VE 9mm pistols to the United States Army Security Assistance Command (USASC) Special Projects Office for shipment to the Afghanistan ...Feb 16, 2006

Might be a way to get some cheap mags, but have a couple of spares and likely do not need new ones.

FergusonTO35
09-15-2023, 07:49 PM
The Sigma and Ruger P95 were sent as aid to Afghan forces, as I recall. Interestingly, the guards at my local Club Fed carry P95's.

FergusonTO35
04-22-2024, 11:23 AM
I'm still shooting my SD9's and they don't miss a beat. I can shoot them as well as my Glocks and they like the same loads that all my other 9mm pistols like. 3.2 grains of Titegroup under an Arsenal 358-130-RF at 1.070 is a real sweetie, one hole at 15 yards when my shaky hands cooperate. The new SD9 2.0 is really sweet. Better trigger pull and a lower price, believe it or not. I have three SD9 1.0's that I shoot very well so I rather doubt I'll add a 2.0 unless I find a screaming deal on one.