PDA

View Full Version : Lee Loaders or Lee Handpress?

deces
03-01-2023, 12:24 AM
Between the Lee Loader & the Lee Hand press, what would you rather have with your or for on the move? Each has their merits and their downfalls.

I have never loaded with the Lee Loader, but I did pick up a .303B and made it into a Custom 7.62x39. I still need to test it out.
I can see myself getting into other calibers.

I also have the Lee Hand press, I have used it over the years mainly for processing brass when away from the bench, I like it.

Bazoo
03-01-2023, 01:23 AM
I'm a hand press fan. I sold mine a while back but am looking for another. It's a fun tool to take out and work off a stump in the woods. The main issue I have with the Lee loader, is that it does not full length size. I prefer full length sizing for sure functioning. Having resistance or having to slam the lever closed on a levergun to get fat brass to chamber is not my cup of tea.

rbuck351
03-01-2023, 01:50 AM
The hand press is much faster than a whack a mole and will FL size. It doesn't takeup anymore room than a whack a mole with a club to use it. I have some of both but rarely use any of the whack a mole loaders.

hoodat
03-01-2023, 02:54 AM
Hand press by far. jd

GhostHawk
03-01-2023, 09:56 AM
I started out loading with a Lee Loader. Still have a couple.

But my main press is a Lee Hand press. I have somewhere around 15 sets of dies for it, plus the expander and the depriming die and a die for hollow pointing .22lr (which incidentally bumps the size up a couple of thousands)

If I am resizing large bottleneck rifle brass I may switch to a larger bench mounted press.

Everything else is done with the hand press.

MostlyLeverGuns
03-01-2023, 11:55 AM
I would add Lee BREECHLOCK Hand Press, changing dies is much easier and if something is 'missed' or 'needs fixed' it is much quicker. Die setup is also more consistent for me.

TNsailorman
03-01-2023, 12:54 PM
Never owned or wanted a Lee hand press. Never had a real need for one. I still have 2 bench presses; one is a RCBS Rockchcker and the other is an old Lyman All American. I have owned and used several Dillon 450's and 550's in the past when I was younger and shooting competition. But I have and use Lee Loaders occassionally. I am retired and have lots of time, so there is no hurry. I can understand people who use the Hand press at the range. I don't understand why/if they use it for all their reloading. A bench press being much better and simple to use than a hand press. To me reloading is more of a hobby these days and less of a chore. But in the end, this all comes down to preference of the individual reloader and I say use what you like and prefer. Taht is the reason I did not vote, its a personal thing. After all, you are the one doing the work/reloading, james

mdi
03-01-2023, 01:53 PM
For me, using a hand press is wobbly/clumsy. When I first got one I was a healthy 50 year old fairly strong HD mechanic, and could FL size 30-06 Garand brass, although just no more than 10-12 per session. I also have a Lee Loader in 30-06 and with the addition of weighing each charge on my beam scale, it is faster and easier than the hand press. I found the hand press to be slower than my Lee Loaders (handgun and rifle cartridges), and quality of handloads was probably even...

BTW; My current press is a Forster Co-Ax, great press!

Silvercreek Farmer
03-01-2023, 09:04 PM
Bought the Handpress as my first press. Loaded thousands of rounds on it. For FL sizing 30-06 brass or sizing a tough boolit, I place one handle against my chest and squeeze with both hands. Good workout! I use a Turret press now for my loading, but still use the hand press to size boolits while watching TV.

Picked up a used 357 Lee Loader just to try. Dry brass was about impossible to size. Felt like I was going to iron out the head stamp. Haven’t tried it again since picking up some liquid lanolin. I might try a rifle round someday if I come across one cheap. But as it is, the hand press and dies would travel nicely if needed.

MarkP
03-01-2023, 09:22 PM
Hand Press for sure.

Mk42gunner
03-01-2023, 09:41 PM
I started my reloading career using a Lee Loader for 3" .410 shells, followed a year later by one for a 2 3/4" 20 gauge. I have never loaded metallic cartridges with a Lee Loader. I have bought and passed on a few.

For neck sizing hand tool loading, I prefer the Lyman 310 tong tool, it is not my favorite way of loading, but it beats using a hammer.

When I was thinking about getting a Lee hand press for those portable moments, I found a Lyman Accu Press at a gun show for $15. It works as either handheld or bench mounted. I don't like the lack of spent primer control, but if you use it outside, it doesn't really matter.

I primarily use it mounted upside down for push through boolit sizing.

Robert

megasupermagnum
03-01-2023, 11:15 PM
It's not even close for me. One of the first metallic cartridges I loaded was 41 magnum with a Lee loader kit. I later got a few more calibers, and even had a full deluxe shotgun 12 gauge kit.

Today, I do not own a single Lee loader kit, and don't miss them at all. Not even nostalgia has made me miss them. They aren't bad, they loaded ammo, but at the same time, for what they cost today, you would not be making a good choice using them. The exception is unless you get them cheap or free as I did. Even just two calibers, and you are money ahead with a hand press. I still regularly use my Lee hand press, despite having a single stage, APP, and progressive presses. For a huge number of people such as anyone in an apartment, house without a garage, little room, or whatever, a case could be made that Randy's hand press is the ultimate press, but the Lee works pretty well. Not that the Lee hand press is bad, it's a smoking deal for what they cost, and handier than anything else out there. I would never recommend a Lee loader kit for an apartment, way too much noise. The Lee hand press can not be beat for odd jobs either. I never had success loading on the range, but I also do load ammo with mine when away from the house. Between a kit or the hand press, the press is better in every way. The only justification I can think of for a Lee kit would be if you get one cheap, you are dirt poor, and have a single caliber, say 30-06 to load. It will do that job for you. I still think a used Lee hand press and some dies could be found for pretty dang cheap. Those Lee kits are insanely expensive in certain calibers.

jmorris
03-02-2023, 09:37 AM
Neither, I think you should see if any buddies have them and will let you try them out. I’d rather have an aluminum O press, mounted on a board and a C clamp to secure it to any flat surface.

If I couldn’t find a flat spot in the wild, I’d cut a small tree down and screw the press to the stump before I would do the same so I had something hard to set my Lee loader on to wack it with a hammer…

Single stage presses are not great when it comes to economy of motion until you compare them to the Lee loader or hand presses, then they seem much, much better.

racepres
03-02-2023, 09:46 AM
Get one...or the Other... get to reloading!!! I personally prefer the Hand Press.. but have used the Lee Loader More.. Odd That.
Both are around here.. serve different purposes... Much more practical than trying to set up a 550 in the Back 40!!! Cost??

BTW, Find a really good, precision shooter, that use One Cartridge Case Only!!! Watch how they do it...

pworley1
03-02-2023, 09:55 AM
I started with the Lee loader in the late sixties and bought a Lyman Spartan about 1970 and never have been tempted to use the Lee loader again. I use the Lee hand presses all the time. One for neck expanding and one for depriming and sizing pistol brass.

Shawlerbrook
03-02-2023, 10:03 AM
Lee hand press unless it’s really a shtf on the run situation.

KenH
03-02-2023, 10:12 AM
I didn't realize the Lee Loader was still around. I started reloading a 30-30 back in late '60s with the Lee Loader. I have no idea how many times we (wife and me) reloaded the same box of 30-30 brass. Being broke college kids there was no money for extras, so it was cast bullets. One day we struck gold - somebody had shot a full box of 30-30 and just left the brass laying on the ground! Even back then 30-30 reloads with cast bullets was cheaper than .22 LR.

Ahhhh, the "good old days"....... naw, I'll take these days as best. At 76 life is still good.

racepres
03-02-2023, 10:48 AM
I didn't realize the Lee Loader was still around. I started reloading a 30-30 back in late '60s with the Lee Loader. I have no idea how many times we (wife and me) reloaded the same box of 30-30 brass. Being broke college kids there was no money for extras, so it was cast bullets. One day we struck gold - somebody had shot a full box of 30-30 and just left the brass laying on the ground! Even back then 30-30 reloads with cast bullets was cheaper than .22 LR.

Ahhhh, the "good old days"....... naw, I'll take these days as best. At 76 life is still good.

Bringing back Fond Memories... But... I think we were better off Young and Broke, than Old and Broke!!!!!

jmorris
03-03-2023, 10:10 AM
Lee hand press unless it’s really a shtf on the run situation.

In what SHTF situation would it be a better idea to carry a bunch of loose bullets, primers, cases and powder? oh and reloader, hammer, hard surface?

I guess it would be funny to make the “bug out” kit fit in an ammo can, that itself could carry more loaded ammunition than components and equipment…

Green Frog
03-03-2023, 03:02 PM
I had a Lee hand press until I got a HDS Compac press which was enough better the Lee got sold and the Compac got its own go bag case. There is no commonly available substitute for the Lee Loader except the regrettably discontinued Lyman 310 tool, so if I have assemble a bug out bag from scratch today, the classic Lee Loader gets the nod.

megasupermagnum
03-04-2023, 12:00 AM
I've walked through a lot of scenarios I could think of with a reloading SHTF setup. Every single one ends up the same as jmorris points out. There is no practical way to carry reloading supplies that isn't stupid. That's not to say there is no way to consider a reloading setup for bad times, but it does not involve a bug out pack. I wouldn't even consider it for an INCH bag. On top of that, a lee loader kit in rifles do not size the brass, they necksize only. That alone should discount it for any rifle use in really bad conditions. When it comes to pistols, I can't even remember how many rounds I could make. I doubt I could do more than 25 an hour. It isn't like the handpress where you could stage as many cases as you want. You kind of have to load one at a time fully with a lee kit, and it is very slow. It had its purpose on special hunting rounds, such as 41 magnum. I could not possibly imagine sitting down and loading 9mm luger with a set.

gloob
03-04-2023, 01:16 AM
Haven't done either, but I'll advocate for a Loader.

With a Loader, you can leave the dies at home.

If there's ever a time to forgo gauging and trimming and only doing neck-sizing, it's on cases you just pulled out of your rifle.

If there's ever a time where banging with a hammer is quiet, it's at the range.

deces
03-04-2023, 03:56 AM
Reloading on the go in a bad situation could be made a little easier if you had a bullet puller, Lee dipper set, a scale and molds for whatever caliber you use.

Any found odd ammo could be pulled & analyzed.
Powder would need to weighed against the volume to determine on Lee's powder slide chart to figure out what it is for possible future charges.
I doubt anyone would have a problem with using small & large primers in anything they fit.

Castable alloys are fairly common around us. Maybe not ideal, but they are out there.
For bare bones I think Lee loaders fill that this niche the best due to size & weight for a pack.

A Lee hand press would obviously be a luxury, but also a added burden in some regards.

racepres
03-04-2023, 10:32 AM
IDK how this became about Bug Out... But My $0.03
Cap and Ball!!!!

beemer
03-04-2023, 09:13 PM
I have a few Lee Loaders and a Lee Hand Press. As mentioned the Lee Loaders don't FL size and sooner or later it will be needed. I had a Lee target set of some type years ago, it did FL but hasn't been made in years. I have also used 310 tool, worked better than the Lee but no FL sizer. Lyman made a drive in sizer to compliment the 310, I have one in 30-06.

A Lee hand press along with dies,one of their case trimmers and a few other tools would be a nice compact kitchen table kit. A little slow but ammo would be on par with anything else. That would be my pick. I have tinkered with all the above and still have some of it, they are toys that I take out occasionally and play with. Nice to have options.

dverna
03-05-2023, 12:58 AM
Between the Lee Loader & the Lee Hand press, what would you rather have with your or for on the move? Each has their merits and their downfalls.

I have never loaded with the Lee Loader, but I did pick up a .303B and made it into a Custom 7.62x39. I still need to test it out.
I can see myself getting into other calibers.

I also have the Lee Hand press, I have used it over the years mainly for processing brass when away from the bench, I like it.

I assume 'when you are on the move' means bugging out?

If it does, it will not matter much. You will not last long if you try to bug out during a SHTF event. Carrying ammunition is more sensible. No need to reload ammunition if your bug out guns are selected wisely. There will be plenty of ammunition to scavenge off the bodies of those you need to kill who are trying to kill you.

Stick with 9mm and .223. Ammunition should be plentiful. Light and compact ammunition allows you to carry more.

Carrying a couple of hundred primers packed together in a zip lock bag is not a good idea. One lucky shot and....

If you have some old cheap primers put 3 trays in a bag and shoot a .22 into them.

racepres
03-05-2023, 10:54 AM
If you have some old cheap primers put 3 trays in a bag and shoot a .22 into them.
Yea... Right!!!
Nothin Cheap around here!!! But 9mm and/or 223 is fairly reasonable, and available by the Pallet!!!

VariableRecall
03-06-2023, 09:19 PM
I’d advocate again for the Lee Hand Press. It can do anything a single stage can do, with a bit of extra needed elbow grease. It’s fantastic for single die applications like decapping, sizing projectiles, and other tasks that are often done. In a pinch, you can reload exclusively using it.

Green Frog
03-07-2023, 11:38 AM
This thread is actually an open call call for Walter Mitty’s disciples to relate all of their bug-out fantasies. Pick any one and follow it for yourself. Unless you are actually preparing to do it, the rest is just idle speculation. If anyone really is going bug out, loaded ammo in factory or MTM style boxes will probably give you the best bug-out option. If you just want to reload a limited number of a single caliber at your hunting cabin/camp to relax and pay the time, your best option is loading with the compact Lee Loader (or a 310 tool). If you want to do extensive or specialty reloading away from home, you can pack a larger bag or box with a Lee hand press (or better yet, one of Buchanan’s) along with various dies, components and accessories… in short, a bulky batch of stuff to be a part of the reason for your trip, not just a small add-on. What do you really want to accomplish?

WALTER MITTY IS ALIVE AND WELL!

Froggie

megasupermagnum
03-07-2023, 03:34 PM
I have no idea who Walter Mitty is, and a Google search brings up a fictional movie. MTM boxes are not good solutions for carrying ammo. The best way is in magazines. Loose in ziplock bags works well too.

wilecoyote
03-07-2023, 06:06 PM
I have them all_
try to do a full res. of .44 magnum with a Lee Loader Kit.
without any tool added.
whatever lube of your choice.
possibly without destroying the case rear face, your hand or the plastic (!) hammer
then you understand why the Handpress is better_
if someone can do the .44 job as per Lee LK instructions, SHTF or not,
I'm here to learn :-)

deces
03-07-2023, 06:17 PM
The best way Ive found to pack ammo is in mags or stripper clip packed bandoleers. I'm not carrying boxes of crap in a pack.

lightload
03-07-2023, 08:07 PM
About bugging out. There's no place to go. Hordes from cities will swarm into rural areas.

gloob
03-07-2023, 08:09 PM
I have them all_
try to do a full res. of .44 magnum with a Lee Loader Kit.
without any tool added.
whatever lube of your choice.
possibly without destroying the case rear face, your hand or the plastic (!) hammer
then you understand why the Handpress is better_
if someone can do the .44 job as per Lee LK instructions, SHTF or not,
I'm here to learn :-)

The idea is you don't have to full length resize most calibers, other than 5.7 or other bottle necked ammo fired out of a non-locked breech. If you're reloading in the field, it's almost as useful to make ammo that will fit back into the gun it came out of, versus sitting under a tree to pump out reloads that will fit any SAAMI spec firearm... with your portable hand press and your bag full of case gauges, dies, lube, trimmers, powder cabinet, and kitchen sink.

Let's be real. The reason hand presses are useful is to do case prep while sitting in front of the TV, in close proximity to your bench and dies and lube and trimmers, etc.

racepres
03-07-2023, 09:00 PM
The idea is you don't have to full length resize most calibers, other than 5.7 or other bottle necked ammo fired out of a non-locked breech. If you're reloading in the field, it's almost as useful to make ammo that will fit back into the gun it came out of, versus sitting under a tree to pump out reloads that will fit any SAAMI spec firearm... with your portable hand press and your bag full of case gauges, dies, lube, trimmers, powder cabinet, and kitchen sink.

Let's be real. The reason hand presses are useful is to do case prep while sitting in front of the TV, in close proximity to your bench and dies and lube and trimmers, etc.
Very sensible...good response...
I have reloaded Hundreds...maybe more of 357, 44mag, and 30-30's...because I was a Poor Enlisted man.. real estate was at a Premium...but I had room for the few components necessary stored with my meager Firearms..
The good ole Days... I was in Shooters Heaven...

jetinteriorguy
03-13-2023, 07:47 AM
Well let’s see, the hand press, a Lee Collet neck sizing die, bullet seating die, and a powder scoop already calibrated for the load you’re using and your set for rifle. For pistol a carbide sizing die, bullet seating die, and a powder scoop and you’re good to go. And one last item, a powder funnel. Doesn’t seem like much to drag along, definitely don’t need the kitchen sink.

trapper9260
03-13-2023, 08:25 AM
When I first started to load ammo was the Lee loader for 12 ga and 410 , I still have them. it is for 2 3/4 " and 3" for 12 and 2 1/2 " and 3" for 410. I have Mec and texan single stage press for them and some other ga .

perotter
03-13-2023, 01:53 PM
The hand press.

wilecoyote
03-18-2023, 02:27 AM

yes, avoid full res. contrasts with what is specified in the instructions for use, but it is certainly a more comfortable and feasible option, in .44 mag._

hoodat
03-18-2023, 10:46 AM
I still look back fondly on those days when all my reloading equipment (and components) would fit into a shoe box. And that could be the case for either a Lee Loader kit or the Lee Hand Press.

My first high power rifle was a .243 Win. and I used a Lee Loader for a few years before I got a press. Never had a problem with the neck size thing, but feeding two or more guns would be a problem I'm sure. Also I upped my game considerably when I got my first beam scale and a Speer book.

As far as Walter Mitty goes, everyone should READ the story or book. Most of us have known Walter, and sometimes BEEN Walter as we go through life. Especially the guys who have an extensive "bug out" plan. :) jd

mike_kaleigh
03-18-2023, 07:52 PM
About bugging out. There's no place to go. Hordes from cities will swarm into rural areas.

I have thought about this exact thing before, i live in cincinnati ohio, and i am not sure i could even leave the area if shtf really happened. Highways backed up ect,

openbook
03-19-2023, 08:04 AM
I would pick the Lee Loader for on the go loading. I have and enjoy using both. A Lee hand press was my first reloading tool, and it let me get started without a huge investment in money or space. I was loading several calibers before I bought a bench-mounted press, and built a reloading bench. I now have the bench press, hand press, and I have a Lee Loader for one caliber.

Loaded thousands of rounds on it. For FL sizing 30-06 brass or sizing a tough boolit, I place one handle against my chest and squeeze with both hands. Good workout!
This is what I do for FL sizing 45-70.

When it comes to pistols, I can't even remember how many rounds I could make. I doubt I could do more than 25 an hour. It isn't like the handpress where you could stage as many cases as you want. You kind of have to load one at a time fully with a lee kit, and it is very slow.
For volume the Lee Loader won't be your ticket. Still I'd bet it's about as fast as the hand press. Where the Lee Loader really shines is in banging out a small run of cartridges of whatever specification you want. Let's say you want to try out a different boolit, but you don't want to disturb your beautifully locked-in-to-the-nearest-thousandth seating and crimping die...the Lee Loader is your friend. Or you want to do a run of ten cartridges with different headspace bullet jump for accuracy testing. Or you just want half a dozen plinkers, to shoot some beer cans, when your press isn't set up for that caliber...the Lee Loader is your friend.

The beauty of the Lee Loader is that it does every reloading operation with only one adjustment. Everything but the seating depth is controlled by how much and how hard you whack it with the mallet. And when you're on the go, it's nice not to mess around with case lube...and with the Lee Loader, you don't have to.

Recycled bullet
03-19-2023, 08:11 AM
I would pick the Lee Loader for on the go loading. I have and enjoy using both. A Lee hand press was my first reloading tool, and it let me get started without a huge investment in money or space. I was loading several calibers before I bought a bench-mounted press, and built a reloading bench. I now have the bench press, hand press, and I have a Lee Loader for one caliber.

This is what I do for FL sizing 45-70.

For volume the Lee Loader won't be your ticket. Still I'd bet it's about as fast as the hand press. Where the Lee Loader really shines is in banging out a small run of cartridges of whatever specification you want. Let's say you want to try out a different boolit, but you don't want to disturb your beautifully locked-in-to-the-nearest-thousandth seating and crimping die...the Lee Loader is your friend. Or you want to do a run of ten cartridges with different headspace for accuracy testing. Or you just want half a dozen plinkers, to shoot some beer cans, when your press isn't set up for that caliber...the Lee Loader is your friend.

The beauty of the Lee Loader is that it does every reloading operation with only one adjustment. Everything but the seating depth is controlled by how much and how hard you whack it with the mallet. And when you're on the go, it's nice not to mess around with case lube...and with the Lee Loader, you don't have to.That is terrible advice.

Lee loaders don't have any adjustment besides seating depth so how can you make adjustments to amount to the differences between rifles?

"run of ten cartridges with different headspace for accuracy testing” What does this mean?

racepres
03-19-2023, 08:53 AM
^^ Oh... I don't think terrible.. I think the Concept of knocking out a Handful of rounds that are only neck sized, is sound... certainly for different Boolits, charges, (requires a cheap digital scale), and Seating Depths.. Variable Headspace is the only thing that the Lee Loader cannot do...as they do not push the shoulder back...That I know of. Since I only push shoulders back on rounds that wont chamber.. the Lee Loader Suits for very small runs... More than a Handful??? I'm prolly gonna bust out the Redding Turrett! (I have multiple Turrets, Loaded) Tho with that New twist lock die "stuff"... the Hand Press, or the little Lee "C" Press, may be as fast..
The key is the ease of "a Few, Fast"

psweigle
03-19-2023, 10:00 AM
I'm most likely an odd ball in that I STILL use my Lee loaders. I have a hand press, and dies of course, but going to a cabin, or on the go as it were, I grab the Lee loaders. The only other thing you really need is a striking device. I do carry a pocket scale and calipers but even those aren't really necessary.

hoodat
03-19-2023, 10:20 AM
I just set my grandson up with a basic reloading kit. I had an extra RCBS JR or Special press, 38 Spec. dies, Lyman manual,---
For powder I gave him a pretty good electronic scale and a full Lee Powder Scoop kit. I also included a bunch of my home-made scoops made from empty cartridges. One of these scoops was right for the load I started him with.

As we started loading, I had him using the scoop and tossing loads on the scale before filling the case. It's satisfying to see that the vast majority of charges were accurate to the 1/10th grain right from the scoop. Also that there is no way for him to over charge when using the right scoop. jd

openbook
03-19-2023, 12:07 PM
Lee loaders don't have any adjustment besides seating depth so how can you make adjustments to amount to the differences between rifles?

More that the Lee Loaders have quite a few "adjustable parameters," but only one adjustment to the loader—the screw adjustment for seating depth. Other adjustments are made with the mallet.

As to the differences between rifles - I don't usually take multiple rifles of the same caliber to the range. But if I did, I wouldn't have an issue reloading the brass fired in one, for one, and the brass fired in the other, for the other. Maybe you meant different calibers? For different calibers no doubt you need a different Lee Loader for each. On the other hand, they're about the same price as a Lee 3-die set ($40), and even more packable.

"run of ten cartridges with different headspace for accuracy testing” What does this mean?

Variable Headspace is the only thing that the Lee Loader cannot do...as they do not push the shoulder back...That I know of.
Both right. I meant bullet jump and not headspace. Edit complete to my post above.

I'm most likely an odd ball in that I STILL use my Lee loaders. I have a hand press, and dies of course, but going to a cabin, or on the go as it were, I grab the Lee loaders.
I still haven't wrapped my head around the severe dislike some have for the Lee Loaders.

The key is the ease of "a Few, Fast"
Exactly!

racepres
03-19-2023, 12:20 PM
I just set my grandson up with a basic reloading kit. I had an extra RCBS JR or Special press, 38 Spec. dies, Lyman manual,---
For powder I gave him a pretty good electronic scale and a full Lee Powder Scoop kit. I also included a bunch of my home-made scoops made from empty cartridges. One of these scoops was right for the load I started him with.

As we started loading, I had him using the scoop and tossing loads on the scale before filling the case. It's satisfying to see that the vast majority of charges were accurate to the 1/10th grain right from the scoop. Also that there is no way for him to over charge when using the right scoop. jd

I do Not own a digital scale that is truly accurate under a tenth of a grain.. my eyes Used to be good for under a tenth on a Balance Beam...at eye level Only.. I shoot a Jillion more thrown (by Volume) charges than weighed... I weigh my "method" and maintain uniform methodology..
if ya don't trust yerself... just like with a Powder dispenser...Check from time to time... a tenth variance???? prolly as good as yer Digital scale can do anyway!!!!

All that to say... I don't/wouldn't, Carry a caliper nor a scale... Scoops are just fine for My Use...

hoodat
03-19-2023, 09:50 PM
I've gotta log another vote for the Hand Press I guess. This afternoon, I found 200 218 Bee brass in a bag with my own note saying they were FL sized, trimmed to length, primed with Win SR primers and ready to reload. I set up my powder measure and filled them all with 13 gr.. of IMR 4227, and grabbed the Lee Hand Press. Set my seating die in about two minutes, and sat down in the living room and watched/listened to a western while seating 35 gr. V-max's in every case. The hand press was as quick and accurate as my other press's would have been, and I sat on the couch while doing it.

I never buy 218 factory stuff, but I believe they're about 2 bucks a pop -- if you can find them. A rather productive Sunday afternoon (or about an hour) on the couch. jd

Recycled bullet
03-20-2023, 09:04 PM
"As to the differences between rifles - I don't usually take multiple rifles of the same caliber to the range. But if I did, I wouldn't have an issue reloading the brass fired in one, for one, and the brass fired in the other, for the other. Maybe you meant different calibers? For different calibers no doubt you need a different Lee Loader for each. On the other hand, they're about the same price as a Lee 3-die set ($40), and even more packable. "

I like to at least partially full length size to guarantee function in multiple guns of identical chambering.

The Lee loader only neck sizes so reloading the brass from multiple different guns and expecting them to work interchangeably probably isn't going to work well and I think may be problematic like hard to close bolt etc.

My lee Enfield visibly blows the shoulder on new brass forward. Head space is the rim thickness.

Periodic Partial full length sizing and a regular use of a collet neck sizer has made the brass last significantly longer.

I only went to the effort in learning and applying all that from the difficulty locating prvi partizan 303 in 2015. That was about an impossible task haha!

I learned reloading with lee loaders in 38 special and 303 British for an untastefully sporterized no.4 mk1 recycling new cartridges fired in those guns.
I still got eight reload cycles before I ran into the wall and had to source a full length sizer.

How much unnecessary hardship and pain would I have experienced trying to reload machine gun fired 7.62 or 308 back then, with lee loaders, not knowing what I know now??

By the way the Lee hand press eats all my brass, tens of thousands of hand loads, all in my hands.

9mm, 38s, 308s 303s, other rifles. Everything I load passes through the hand press.

I love my lee hand press. [emoji7]

W.R.Buchanan
03-26-2023, 08:14 PM
Gosh, Personally I would go for this one. VVV I might be just a little biased, but since I was holding a Lee Hand Press when I designed mine I took care of all the little short comings of Lee's design. This one is better, buti t also costs more.

However if I was only loading one caliber I would be doing it with a Lee Classic Loader. It is the simplest way to reload brass cartridges there is. I got my first one in 1971 and still have it.

You can fit an entire reloading kit with everything necessary including powder, primers and bullets and of course the Plastic Mallet in to a small tool bag. Add a few other little tools like a Small Digital Powder Scale, Case Deburring Tool and Primer Pocket Cleaner and maybe a Hand Priming Tool and you are good to go.

This whole set up would weigh less than 5 lbs. and take up very little space and you could reload your ammo anywhere. What's better than that?

Randy

Chena
03-27-2023, 03:03 AM
With limited space or if moving frequently I would choose the Lee hand press, Lee Pacesetter dies, Lee case trimmer, case lube and a powder funnel. Nothing else. Used consistently the powder measure will give adequate repeat accuracy. With a hundred cases, a pound of powder and 250 primers the entire set would fit in a medium size tool box.

racepres
03-27-2023, 08:08 AM
Gosh, Personally I would go for this one. VVV I might be just a little biased, but since I was holding a Lee Hand Press when I designed mine I took care of all the little short comings of Lee's design. Randy
The sincerest form of Flattery..and saves engineering costs..

rintinglen
03-30-2023, 09:54 PM
I started with the wack-a-mole, but I would never go back to that. I have both the Buchanan and the Lee Hand Press, now. I take the Buchanan if I want to ladder test at the range. I size and prime the cases at home, then dispense powder at the range from a RCBS Uniflo Powder measure and seat (and crimp, if loading for a lever action) on the Buchanan. The Lee I use now for decapping before cleaning while listening to old radio programs, but for about a year, everything I loaded was done with the Lee. For throw-in-a-bugout-bag use, I have a Lyman 310 that will let me sit around the campfire and make ammo.

Green Frog
04-04-2023, 09:57 AM
Yep, going back to the original question, there were insufficient fences around it and we each took flights of fancy, each according to his personal bias. If one wants to know which to choose, Lee Loader or Lee Hand Press, he has to set his parameters… how and why (not to mention where) it will be used if loading different cartridges at home, assuming the lack of a bench, the Hand Press will shine. If one wants to load a few rounds of one or two calibers in the kitchen or cabin, my choice would be the Lee Loader. As an aside, bench resters a half century ago showed this could be effective on their bench at the range using their Lee Target Loaders, “Zero Error”.

Since the thread has devolved into a wider study, I agree that for hand press users, the press from Randy B beats the Lee, and for most “non-press” apps, I prefer the Lyman 310 tool unless doing precise target loading, then I’d go with the Lee Target Loader. As with all things, YMMV!

Froggie

W.R.Buchanan
04-09-2023, 04:13 PM
The sincerest form of Flattery..and saves engineering costs..

Oh there was plenty of Engineering as I increased the Mechanical Advantage of the tool by about 40% along with strait line pressure on the Ram, Primer cup, LNL feature, and all CNC Machined Parts.

Also mine will stand up by itself as opposed to the Lee tool which needs help.

Randy

Recycled bullet
04-09-2023, 08:28 PM
Oh there was plenty of Engineering as I increased the Mechanical Advantage of the tool by about 40% along with strait line pressure on the Ram, Primer cup, LNL feature, and all CNC Machined Parts.

Also mine will stand up by itself as opposed to the Lee tool which needs help.

RandyWhat is your solution to the spent primer handling problem?

The Lee uses a small machined area inside the ram to store popped out primers during the resizing operation.

It required frequent evacuation during my last batch of 1K 9mm I prepared for the wet tumbler operation.