PDA

View Full Version : Eggs

BLAHUT
02-28-2023, 11:15 PM
I don't know if this is the correct place for this ?

I was to Walmart today and they had eggs for $2.10 a dozen if you bought the 60 egg box.

$10.48 for the box..

Txcowboy52
02-28-2023, 11:22 PM
Good price if you can use that many. I don’t buy eggs, haven’t in years . We have chickens.

G W Wade
03-01-2023, 12:15 AM
2 weeks ago Walmart up here 18 count x-large eggs were $9.56 1 week ago $6 and this week $3.56 Crazy GW

GregLaROCHE
03-01-2023, 12:18 AM
I haven’t bought eggs for years. Having my own chickens is an easy source of good nutrition. I love my five egg omelettes and I don’t share. I eat it all.

William Yanda
03-01-2023, 09:52 AM
Perfect excuse to make some pickled eggs.

MrWolf
03-01-2023, 10:04 AM
Chickens here also. My girls love wild bird seed. Have eight girls and probably averaged four to five eggs a day all winter.

metricmonkeywrench
03-01-2023, 01:45 PM
Mama got fed up with the prices as well and found a local good old boy with a farm who keeps us supplied. The farm is his hobby and oddly enough he does not eat eggs himself.

Were just not situated well enough to get a coop of our own....

45_Colt
03-01-2023, 05:05 PM
We have had own own chickens for quite a while. But the bird flu started to take them out. The last batch lived for about 9 months and never laid one egg. Do miss those fresh eggs.

As far as store bought eggs. Well, they got close to $5 a dozen. But this week are now down to $3 a dozen. I eat one a day for breakfast. While more are used by the Missus for baking.

I am glad to see the price drop. Just wish we could go back to having our own chickens. Around here with all of the wild, wild-life, they can be a bit of work.

45_Colt

Wheelguns 1961
03-01-2023, 05:13 PM
I just bought an 18 pack of large eggs for $3.20 at walmart.

xs11jack
03-01-2023, 09:09 PM
We have been buying eggs at Aldi's for $3.00 a dozen for a while now.
Ole Jack

MarkP
03-01-2023, 09:20 PM
The 60 packs were about the same in Omaha as well.

dverna
03-01-2023, 09:27 PM
Raising chickens is a labor of love.

I cannot figure out how it is possible to save money. People talk about “how much better” or “they are organic”...that means they are paying more.

Our friends just decided to get into egg chickens for personal use and supply friends. They have no clue what they are doing. It will be an expensive lesson and I expect the venture will last less than a year. A few months of below freezing weather and taking care of critters is often a great awakening.

In the end...it is just a freaking egg. I might have four eggs a week, so have a different perspective.

It would be informative if people who keep chickens to save money would share their costs. $6/doz eggs seem cheap to me.

farmbif
03-01-2023, 09:32 PM
$2.57 dozen at Aldi's today. Walmart,iga and food city are real proud of their eggs at just under $4/dozen. its just like gas, paid $2.86/gal in Knoxville at same club, Costco was the same price and right down the road 87 octane was $3.39/gal at pilot, flying j, marathon and shell. the giant corporations just take advantage of us by jacking up prices every chance they get.

GregLaROCHE
03-02-2023, 04:59 AM
Did you know that in France and maybe other European countries too, commercially produced eggs are never washed or refrigerated. In super markets they are stocked on shelves. No refrigeration.

Alex_4x4
03-02-2023, 07:00 AM
Eggs (I'm not talking about follicles) can not be washed - they will go bad. The follicles need to be washed.

MrWolf
03-02-2023, 10:59 AM
Raising chickens is a labor of love. ....

Nailed it. If you are not in it for profit but for your own gratification, you will lose money. Every day, rain, snow, sun, etc you are out there with them. My girls are pretty good about going in the coop at night (door opens on timer) but you get the occasional "I don't want to go to bed yet" and you have to find her and put her in the coop. I have a cheap security camera that let's me do my nightly count. They are fun to watch and interact with, especially when they claim their human to try and roost on. Funny as hell watching them run like prehistoric dinosaurs.

osage
03-02-2023, 11:17 AM
I'm down to four old hens that just started laying again. For years I kept up to fifty layers. I reduced flock after retirement as I lost that outlet. I haven't been replacing loses which allowed longer travels without finding someone to care for them.
I've noticed prices up and down in some stores. I wonder if lower prices are too move older eggs that were crazy prices. Aldi is where I had been buying.

megasupermagnum
03-02-2023, 03:17 PM
Raising chickens is a labor of love.

I cannot figure out how it is possible to save money. People talk about “how much better” or “they are organic”...that means they are paying more.

Our friends just decided to get into egg chickens for personal use and supply friends. They have no clue what they are doing. It will be an expensive lesson and I expect the venture will last less than a year. A few months of below freezing weather and taking care of critters is often a great awakening.

In the end...it is just a freaking egg. I might have four eggs a week, so have a different perspective.

It would be informative if people who keep chickens to save money would share their costs. $6/doz eggs seem cheap to me.

There is more than one way of looking at it. Many people, myself included think those cheap egg farms treat animals beyond horrible. That's no way to live, we shouldn't be abusing animals like that. If I have to pay a local farmer $8 a dozen for hens that live well, that's fine by me.

We raised chickens when we were kids. They are about as trouble free animals as they come, less work than dogs or cats. A single heat lamp kept the coup above freezing most of the winter. You clean out their water every couple days. Let them roam and they don't eat that much feed. I recall a couple bags of feed a month was all we did for about a dozen chickens. Turkeys ate way more, but they are also super friendly and like to be petted. 1 turkey egg is like 2 chicken eggs.

BadgerShooter
03-02-2023, 11:02 PM
When our neighbors have surplus eggs from their birds, we freeze dry them. We can do about 60 eggs in a batch. They rehydrate great and keep for years.

dverna
03-03-2023, 12:05 AM
When I was a kid, we raised rabbits and chickens. When I was about 5, we had pigeons too.

I will never raise critters again.

After getting ill three times from folks selling “farm raised eggs” we buy commercial Edda. Eggs given to us by well meaning people get thrown out.

BLAHUT
03-03-2023, 12:10 AM
Perfect excuse to make some pickled eggs.

How ? How do you do that ??

BLAHUT
03-03-2023, 12:13 AM
We have been buying eggs at Aldi's for $3.00 a dozen for a while now.
Ole Jack

I was at aldi to day, $4.00 a dozen here.

megasupermagnum
03-03-2023, 01:00 AM
When I was a kid, we raised rabbits and chickens. When I was about 5, we had pigeons too.

After getting ill three times from folks selling “farm raised eggs” we buy commercial Edda. Eggs given to us by well meaning people get thrown out.

I think you may be attributing an illness to the wrong thing. There is no hard data yet on how much salmonella effects commercial vs organic farms, but the FDA does admit infections are likely spread at a lower rate in organic farms, than commercial. A perfect example was this years bird flu. There is a big farm near me that sells both commercial and organic eggs. All commecical birds were killed due to the insane outbreak, 1.2 million birds were killed to stop the spread. That's about half the egg laying chickens in South Dakota. As far as I can tell, not a single organic raised bird was killed due to the bird flu. Testing by the FDA is underway on salmonella, and I am sure it will find healthier birds = less salmonella.

Other than salmonella, which according to the FDA is found in 1 in 20,000 eggs, I'm not aware of anything in an egg that is going to make a person sick. I'm not saying you didn't get sick, I'm just saying you more than likely got sick from something else.

GregLaROCHE
03-03-2023, 02:21 AM
Eggs (I'm not talking about follicles) can not be washed - they will go bad. The follicles need to be washed.

In the US all commercial eggs are washed and then refrigerated.

dverna
03-03-2023, 06:44 AM
I think you may be attributing an illness to the wrong thing. There is no hard data yet on how much salmonella effects commercial vs organic farms, but the FDA does admit infections are likely spread at a lower rate in organic farms, than commercial. A perfect example was this years bird flu. There is a big farm near me that sells both commercial and organic eggs. All commecical birds were killed due to the insane outbreak, 1.2 million birds were killed to stop the spread. That's about half the egg laying chickens in South Dakota. As far as I can tell, not a single organic raised bird was killed due to the bird flu. Testing by the FDA is underway on salmonella, and I am sure it will find healthier birds = less salmonella.

Other than salmonella, which according to the FDA is found in 1 in 20,000 eggs, I'm not aware of anything in an egg that is going to make a person sick. I'm not saying you didn't get sick, I'm just saying you more than likely got sick from something else.

You could be correct...but we have never had that happen with eggs from the store. IThe people we purchased our organic eggs from were having trouble selling them, so it is likely the eggs sat around too long. They live hand to mouth, and we were trying to help them out. Paid $3/dozen when eggs were well under $1 at the store.

We did the "float" test and found a couple of bad ones....that "sealed the deal" for us.

If we raised our own that would not have happened, but we decided not to buy "farm fresh eggs" again. But like I said, we will never raise critters as we do not value the benefits of a better product for the work and cost involved. Raising little critters is a great project for kids even if a family does not save money. Lot's of good lessons to be learned.

megasupermagnum
03-03-2023, 03:46 PM
You could be correct...but we have never had that happen with eggs from the store. IThe people we purchased our organic eggs from were having trouble selling them, so it is likely the eggs sat around too long. They live hand to mouth, and we were trying to help them out. Paid $3/dozen when eggs were well under $1 at the store.

We did the "float" test and found a couple of bad ones....that "sealed the deal" for us.

If we raised our own that would not have happened, but we decided not to buy "farm fresh eggs" again. But like I said, we will never raise critters as we do not value the benefits of a better product for the work and cost involved. Raising little critters is a great project for kids even if a family does not save money. Lot's of good lessons to be learned.

I still think you are drawing the wrong conclusion on organic eggs. We aren't talking about some guy with chickens in the backyard, which of course will vary person to person. To get the organic title from the FDA a farm has to exceed normal expectations. Organic eggs are a step above normal eggs, not below. They have to have adequate space and cleanliness for birds to move around. They have to let the outside regularly and have to provide pasture to forage. Basically they have to treat chickens like living beings. Beyond that, the eggs themselves are held to the same standards as any other eggs. Same cleaning, same storage, same expiration date.

Alex_4x4
03-03-2023, 09:38 PM
In the US all commercial eggs are washed and then refrigerated.

Nightmare!

Did not know.

However, if you consider that in the United States a huge part of the low-rise housing stock is built from wooden blocks and drywall, then I’m not very surprised.

Interestingly, do Americans know how to check a chicken egg (whether it is rotten or not) without breaking it?

Alex_4x4
03-03-2023, 09:53 PM
https://youtu.be/917N-EQXg6U

megasupermagnum
03-03-2023, 11:25 PM
Nightmare!

Did not know.

However, if you consider that in the United States a huge part of the low-rise housing stock is built from wooden blocks and drywall, then I’m not very surprised.

Interestingly, do Americans know how to check a chicken egg (whether it is rotten or not) without breaking it?

Our FDA controls most farming practices, and they are overly anal about the weirdest cleanliness things. The biggest difference in the USA vs Europe when it comes to eggs is that in the USA chickens and turkeys (and I can only assume other birds) is salmonella vaccination is not required here, although from what I understand it is a common practice anyway.

I love the USA, but we are absolute morons when it comes to certain things, and this might be one. You also have to realize there is a bit of a culture difference when it comes to food here. Often times our food quality suffers in favor of longevity or convenience. An egg processed and kept in a fridge in the USA stays good for a little more than twice as long as a plain egg kept at room temperature in Europe. It's more work, probably more cost, they last longer too. A close example I can give is the bread in the USA is often poor quality. That's not to say you can't buy fantastic bread from a bakery, but your run of the mill stuff at the grocery store is stale tasteless garbage, that is popular here because it lasts so long. Part of it is cost, and part is convenience. A proper bread that actually tastes good is only good for a two or three days tops. It's common in the USA to buy this garbage bread and use it for a couple weeks. It's easier to do that than buy bread when you need it or make it yourself. I would be surprised if even 5% of our population could make bread if you gave them flour, water, yeast, and sugar or honey and even gave basic instructions.

The housing deal is a whole other thing, and that is 100% cost.

Alex_4x4
03-04-2023, 02:56 AM
Your home, your rules.

I'm not going to convince anyone of anything. I looked on the Internet how chicken eggs are processed for long-term storage and I did not like at least one of the possible substances (formaldehyde derivative).

Hippocrates allegedly said a long time ago: "We are what we eat." He was of the opinion that human diseases come from eating the wrong food.

Maybe he's right, maybe not.

WRideout
03-04-2023, 10:38 AM
Europeans in general are not crazy about refrigerating food. When I was in Germany, I saw dressed rabbits hanging in front of a window at the butcher shop. They drink warm beer, too.

Wayne

ascast
03-04-2023, 11:02 AM

ain't that the truth ! Somebody finds some eggs waaayyyy back in the barn, figures there're still good, but will give them to the farms boys. The yokes breaka dn run when they hit the pan, they float when washed. Poisonous garbage! I been sick as can be from eggs crap dropping in my fry pan. Any floaters, cracked shells get tossed. ALL get washed in warm detergent water. Chicken manure can kill you.

ascast
03-04-2023, 11:07 AM
Our FDA controls most farming practices, and they are overly anal about the weirdest cleanliness things. The biggest difference in the USA vs Europe when it comes to eggs is that in the USA chickens and turkeys (and I can only assume other birds) is salmonella vaccination is not required here, although from what I understand it is a common practice anyway.

I love the USA, but we are absolute morons when it comes to certain things, and this might be one. You also have to realize there is a bit of a culture difference when it comes to food here. Often times our food quality suffers in favor of longevity or convenience. An egg processed and kept in a fridge in the USA stays good for a little more than twice as long as a plain egg kept at room temperature in Europe. It's more work, probably more cost, they last longer too. A close example I can give is the bread in the USA is often poor quality. That's not to say you can't buy fantastic bread from a bakery, but your run of the mill stuff at the grocery store is stale tasteless garbage, that is popular here because it lasts so long. Part of it is cost, and part is convenience. A proper bread that actually tastes good is only good for a two or three days tops. It's common in the USA to buy this garbage bread and use it for a couple weeks. It's easier to do that than buy bread when you need it or make it yourself. I would be surprised if even 5% of our population could make bread if you gave them flour, water, yeast, and sugar or honey and even gave basic instructions.

The housing deal is a whole other thing, and that is 100% cost.

You are spot on about the bread, so...I put it in the freezer until needed. HAHA

ascast
03-04-2023, 11:08 AM
Nightmare!

Did not know.

float them in water

ascast
03-04-2023, 11:12 AM
I still think you are drawing the wrong conclusion on organic eggs. We aren't talking about some guy with chickens in the backyard, which of course will vary person to person. To get the organic title from the FDA a farm has to exceed normal expectations. Organic eggs are a step above normal eggs, not below. They have to have adequate space and cleanliness for birds to move around. They have to let the outside regularly and have to provide pasture to forage. Basically they have to treat chickens like living beings. Beyond that, the eggs themselves are held to the same standards as any other eggs. Same cleaning, same storage, same expiration date.

yeah And I think the "License " to post or advertise "organic" is around $2,500. Not sure how often that gets re-evaluated. Worms and such make yokes a bit darker, otherwise no difference. Brown eggs are the same inside BTW.

ascast
03-04-2023, 11:14 AM

Selling ? or raising also? must be at different location, I think. Would like to know more

farmbif
03-04-2023, 07:30 PM
I just figure if I eat an egg, get sick and die it was good good lord saying my number came up and its my time to go.

Alex_4x4
03-04-2023, 10:53 PM
float them in water

Yes, if you immediately want to use chicken eggs for food, then this method is suitable.

If chicken eggs are supposed to be stored further, then this method is suitable: the chicken egg must be placed on a flat surface and unwound around its axis. When it starts to spin, stop the rotation of the egg with your index finger, then remove your finger from the chicken egg. If after that the chicken egg continues to rotate - it is fresh, if it stops - then the chicken egg is rotten.

GregLaROCHE
03-05-2023, 01:07 AM
Washing eggs removes the natural protective coating. Therefore the need to be refrigerated.
How many have experienced a really rotten egg? It’s one of the foulest odeurs that exist. Much worse than skunk in my opinion. They build up pressure and can explode.

M-Tecs
03-05-2023, 06:55 AM
The protective coating is called "bloom".

https://www.betterhensandgardens.com/egg-bloom/

The four functions of the egg bloom.

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/4-functions-of-a-chicken-eggs-bloom/

Texas by God
03-05-2023, 09:49 AM
My three brothers and I used to have egg fights with old eggs.
A hit with a rotten egg took that person out of the fight pretty quickly! Hard to fight when you’re gagging and spitting….[emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackthorn
03-05-2023, 12:34 PM
Washing eggs removes the natural protective coating. Therefore the need to be refrigerated.
How many have experienced a really rotten egg? It’s one of the foulest odeurs that exist. Much worse than skunk in my opinion. They build up pressure and can explode.

I grew up on a farm. We ran close to two hundred free-range laying chickens. Often we would find a hidden nest with a bunch of eggs in it and many times those eggs had been there for a long time. Mother would "test" them using the float-in-water method and the (likely) good ones were fed to the pigs (we would not chance selling them). The others were disposed of a good distance from the house.