PDA

View Full Version : After Market Powder Coating Commercial Lead Bullets

Joe DeerTag
02-28-2023, 06:48 AM
New to the site, but not new to handloading. Any experience with powder coating commercial lead bullets? Specifically, removing the the lube ring and prepping the bullets so the powder bakes on consistently. I don't cast my own, so I am looking at purchasing some off the rack and applying my own powder coating.

Thx!
Joe

LAGS
02-28-2023, 11:02 AM
I have PC'ed factory cast Boolits.
I had to boil them , and then clean them with Acetone or Lacquer thinner.
But The cost was offset because I was given bunches of boxes of Boolits one time.

MostlyLeverGuns
02-28-2023, 11:10 AM
There are a few outfits that provide coated bullets, Hunter's Supply, Missouri Bullets, quite a few others if you just wanted powder coated, most prices $1-2 plus of regular lubed bullets.

mehavey
02-28-2023, 11:40 AM
No problemmo. Just boil the old lube off (maybe a drop of dishsoap/change out water 2-3X/boiling and powder coat as normal.
These are ProofMark 32-20s that originally came w/ standard grease lube:

GregLaROCHE
03-01-2023, 01:00 AM
Boiling in water with dish detergent and then a quick rinse in acetone, is what I would do.

charlie b
03-01-2023, 11:07 AM
^^ this.

I'd also check the size after PC. Make sure it still passes a plunk test.

doulos
03-04-2023, 10:36 AM
If you dont want to boil them. Putting them in a jar with odorless mineral spirits removes all the lube pretty well. But I think you would have to make sure that was all off too with something like acetone.

murf205
03-04-2023, 10:57 AM
Joe, welcome to the site. This place is full of good people that are experienced and willing to share their knowledge. As for the pc'ing of commercial boolits, there are a couple of commercial casters that offer custom sizing and since the process of sizing and lubing is NORMALLY done at the same time, a phone call to them asking to not lube your order and just send them as they drop from the mold. Then you can coat and size to suit your needs. Good luck and let us know your results, we love a good project.
Murf

Charlie Horse
03-04-2023, 08:04 PM
Enamel Reducer

reedap1
03-04-2023, 08:11 PM
Joe,

Welcome to the site. There have been numerous discussions regarding this topic, here are a few:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?443155-Removing-Bullet-lube

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?426382-Lube-Removal

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?266191-Removing-Alox-before-PC

megasupermagnum
03-05-2023, 02:26 AM
Buy them unlubed. GT bullets is a great company.

Barman54
03-12-2023, 09:40 AM
What I do to remove the Lube off Commercial Boolits, is to use Good sized Jelly jars.
I use Paint thinner the Less smelly one, and let time do its thing, a day or two, I can swirl the Boolits and see the lube come off.
Using rubber gloves (Harbor Freight Specials), I pour off the Thinner, repour back in the jar.
I hand wipe off any remaining lube, usually not much.
Then I use Alcohol, still with my gloves on, pour off the liquid, to be used again, let dry on a old towel, they come out Bone Dry.

Thx,
Barman54
Out

Walter Laich
03-12-2023, 06:17 PM
being a lazy person, I just shoot the lubed ones as is.

since I cast, which doesn't help you, those are the ones that get PC

any chance you have a buddy that would cast some for you? Down here on the Texas Gulf Coast we do a lot of bartering for stuff like that.

In fact, being retired allows me to cast if they buy the lead--keeps me off the streets and out of SWMBO's hair

Outer Rondacker
03-13-2023, 07:12 AM
While I was moving a few years back a can of lubed 44mag HPs fell on the ground. I was really upset since I no longer had the mold and the 3000+ bullets would of lasted me a lifetime. I now know what to do with them. They had gotten dirt and derby all over them and could not be used. Today I make lemonade, well not today as I have a broken tractor with three feet of snow coming but some day soon. Thanks

longcruise
03-21-2023, 07:49 PM
I soak them and swirl them in mineral spirits for a couple days then put them in the tableware basket in the DW for a cycle. The ones I've done that to have taken the pc just fine.

I cast also but if you have some laying around it's just good economics to use them.

charlie b
04-09-2023, 09:05 PM
Just boiled some this afternoon. Once the water was going it only took about 15min. I will still wash them with acetone just to be sure they are clean.

dryflash3
06-06-2023, 01:54 AM
https://missouribullet.com/results.php?category=21

Just buy then without lube.