PDA

View Full Version : Hard Lube Recipe

35 Whelen
02-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Being the tightwad I am, I'd like to start making my own lube. I've used several different ones and never had a complaint about any of them. But the last two I've used have been Rooster Red and Thompson Blue Angel, both requiring a lubrisizer heater. Are there any home-brew recipes that will somewhat duplicate either of these lubes?
Thanks!
35W

44man
02-06-2009, 08:58 AM
I don't like hard lubes, I like the soft, sticky stuff that I can rub in grooves by hand and Felix is one of the best home made lubes for this. However, you can harden it by adding paraffin.
Speed Green is another good one.
You are free to change any home made lube to whatever hardness you like with paraffin or carnauba wax. Only takes a little. :Fire:

35 Whelen
02-06-2009, 09:06 AM
I don't like hard lubes, I like the soft, sticky stuff that I can rub in grooves by hand and Felix is one of the best home made lubes for this.

Hmm...I hate lube on my hands, hate bullets sticking together in the box, and I live in N. Texas where 100° are the norm for July and August. So, hard lube is the ONLY thing I'll use. The Blue and Red lubes I mentioned have given stellar performance with everything from 750 fps in my .38 revolver to 2000 fps loads in my 03A3.
Thanks for the input 44, but I'd still like to have an exact recipe if possible as I'd rather not have to experiment with adding a little of this or a little of that.
Regards,
35W

Vly
02-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Being a fellow tightwad, here is my take on the economics of lube making. I view lube making as part of the hobby, not necessarily a money saving venture, though you will save money over a long period of time. The upfront cost of beeswax, lanolin and other ingredients can be considerable because you need to buy in bulk to realize the savings. It will take very MANY rounds downrange before you start "saving" money.

From a purely economic viewpoint, it is smarter to buy a commercial hard lube like Carnuba Red at $1.35 a stick. You get a known product and a known performance level. If the idea of experimentation turns you off, lube making is not for you. Experimentation is what it is about. I've made many pounds of homemade lube but could not give you an exact recipe because I am constantly adjusting it based on season and needs.

The tightwad in me says figure out the most efficient quantity to order based on postage cost and try the White Label lube.

cajun shooter
02-06-2009, 10:23 AM
35 Whelen, We have a sticky with a bunch of lube receipes, check it out. Also 44 man was telling you the best way. If you have a lube that you like, thats a little sticky then just add small amounts of beeswax or paraffin to harden it up. I do this all the time when making my lube for BP. It's not rocket science and you can add or take away without hurting the base.

Bullshop
02-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Add two oz carnauba wax per pound of soft lube to firm up the soft lube and eliminate stickyness.
A tip to help the process along pre melt the carnauba before adding it to the melted soft lube.
For folks in colder climates if you are keeping the thermostat down and room temp fairly cool you will then likely have to add heat to youe lube sizer.
BIC/BS