PDA

View Full Version : I found a screaming deal on Small Pistol Primers!!!

maxreloader
02-25-2023, 10:16 AM
Just came across these...

Now we just need to find a working time-travel machine to go back in time and grab a few bricks! :D

38SuperAuto
02-25-2023, 11:01 AM
Reminds me when my dad used to tell me everything was a nickel when he was growing up in 1920-1930s. When he enlisted in 1936, he made $39/wk in US Navy.

SSGOldfart
02-25-2023, 11:11 AM
I scored a couple of bricks from Midshouth Shooters this week I still have a few bricks of every thing else,just need small pistol so I don't have to start over on load development.:coffee:

CastingFool
02-25-2023, 11:15 AM
I remember my parents telling me, when they were younger they could go to see a movie, it cost 5 cents each to get in.

tja6435
02-25-2023, 02:29 PM
I have some old CCI bricks of primers with $8.99 tag on them. I’ve recently been using them in 357 mag loads, haven’t had a dud so far.

stubshaft
02-25-2023, 03:18 PM
I'm old enough to remember buying them for that price. I also remember buying IMR 3031 for $3.50 a can!

Winger Ed.
02-25-2023, 03:28 PM
As a teenager, a life long friend and myself was complaining about gas jumping in a short time from
25-29 cents a gallon to 35 cents.

His Dad laughed and said as a kid, he remembered buying it for 12 or 13 cents a gallon.
The only problem was----- nobody had 13 cents.

Years ago there was a documentary about Col. Sanders--- the KFC guy.
As a kid, they said he got fired from a job chopping wood for $2. a month, ,,, because he worked too slow.

Finster101
02-25-2023, 04:53 PM
Roy Clark used to tell a story about a time in his life that if they were selling steamboats for a dime apiece all he could do was run up and down the bank and yell "ain't that cheap"!

deces
02-25-2023, 07:18 PM
Reminds me when my dad used to tell me everything was a nickel when he was growing up in 1920-1930s. When he enlisted in 1936, he made $39/wk in US Navy.

Think of all that gold he could have bought with that $39 every week.

Winger Ed.
02-25-2023, 07:23 PM
Think of all that gold he could have bought with that $39 every week.

A favorite uncle of mine was a young man living in the Texas Hill Country during the Great depression.
He was a farmer, but for extra money, he'd sheer sheep in the late Spring.
He said he worked from day light till dark, and earned $1.00 a day.
He said he often thought to himself, "Another day, another dollar. Hmm.. In a million days,, I'll be rich, and won't have to work anymore".

shooterg
02-25-2023, 07:37 PM
Private ownership of gold was illegal from 1933 till 1974. Possession of gold got you a ten year prison sentence regardless of the amount. Just a bit of trivia.:mrgreen:

And yet we have lot of old gold coins that never got melted - just like gun laws, a LOT of folks pay no heed to unjust laws.

15meter
02-25-2023, 07:55 PM
Private ownership of gold was illegal from 1933 till 1974. Possession of gold got you a ten year prison sentence regardless of the amount. Just a bit of trivia.:mrgreen:

And I believe the government ordered all holders of bullion gold, jewelry manufacturers, dental supply houses and manufacturers that used gold to surrender it to the government.

For $20/ounce in paper money.

Then sold it back to them for $35 so they could stay in business.

Just a little inflation.

As Joe said recently, inflation doesn't effect anybody.

beemer
02-25-2023, 09:04 PM
My Dad was born Jan.16 1920, the day before Prohibition came into effect. A boy was paid 10 cents a day and a man 50 cents a day for farm work. His father had died, having learned to run a still from his father he was running a still for a neighbor making malt corn liquor. He was 14 years old and was making 15 cents a day, most went to his mother for food and he kept 15 cents a week for a box of 22 shorts.

Another fellow wanted to hire him to run his still for the same price plus all he wanted to drink. Dad didn't drink so the guy said he could have a pint. He could sell the pint for 50 cents, said it was the biggest raise he ever got.

contender1
02-25-2023, 10:52 PM
beemer,, I see you are from WNC. I can easily relate to your story. I know folks raised like that.

Shanghai Jack
02-25-2023, 11:23 PM
As a teenager, a life long friend and myself was complaining about gas jumping in a short time from
25-29 cents a gallon to 35 cents.

His Dad laughed and said as a kid, he remembered buying it for 12 or 13 cents a gallon.
The only problem was----- nobody had 13 cents.

Years ago there was a documentary about Col. Sanders--- the KFC guy.
As a kid, they said he got fired from a job chopping wood for $2. a month, ,,, because he worked too slow.

I can remember gas at 17 cents a gallon with green stamps and a piece of kitchen ware with a fill-up.

Winger Ed.
02-26-2023, 01:55 AM
I can remember gas at 17 cents a gallon with green stamps and a piece of kitchen ware with a fill-up.

I remember getting a 'fill up' --- at the Service Station, and you got a Coca-Cola glass
like they used to have at the 'soda fountain' or Lunch counter at the local drug store (where you got your root beer floats).

When I was 12, and went to the bank to open a checking account in 1967, the lady there apologized
because they had just stopped giving away a new toaster when you opened an account.

Bmi48219
02-26-2023, 02:22 AM
It was sort of a family tradition that at age 7 mom or dad would take you to the neighborhood bank and start a joint passbook savings account for you with the money you had received from relatives for your First Communion. I think I netted $5.15. Any withdrawal had to be signed by both you and a parent. I wish I still had that passbook. There were a lot of weeks I’d proudly approach the teller window with my completed deposit slip. Teller would stamp the date, write the deposit amount in, total the account and initial the line. My book listed pages of 25 cent deposits.

JimB..
02-26-2023, 05:14 AM
I have some old CCI bricks of primers with $8.99 tag on them. I’ve recently been using them in 357 mag loads, haven’t had a dud so far.

I have a bunch (50+ bricks) of large and small CCI primers from the mid 1970s, they all go bang without fail. They’ve been stored indoors, no idea if that matters.

JimB..
02-26-2023, 05:18 AM
It was sort of a family tradition that at age 7 mom or dad would take you to the neighborhood bank and start a joint passbook savings account for you with the money you had received from relatives for your First Communion. I think I netted $5.15. Any withdrawal had to be signed by both you and a parent. I wish I still had that passbook. There were a lot of weeks I’d proudly approach the teller window with my completed deposit slip. Teller would stamp the date, write the deposit amount in, total the account and initial the line. My book listed pages of 25 cent deposits.

Banks used to give out little locking coin banks. It had slots for each coin size and when you took it to the bank the teller would open it up with the key and deposit the contents in you acct. of course she’d write it in your passbook.

GregLaROCHE
02-26-2023, 06:53 AM
Imagine what we will be saying about today’s prices in twenty years.

Finster101
02-26-2023, 08:57 AM
My dad used to take issue with the expression "the good ole days". Yes things might have been cheaper , but not many people had any money and you damn sure had to work harder to get it was his opinion. Seeing the way he grew up, he had good cause to feel that way.

farmerjim
02-26-2023, 11:01 AM
I remember my parents telling me, when they were younger they could go to see a movie, it cost 5 cents each to get in.

I went to the Saturday movies for 10 cents, 10 cents for popcorn, and 5 cents for a coke. I earned 25 cents for mowing the lawn.

gbrown
02-26-2023, 11:15 AM
When I was very young, we lived about a half mile from a movie theater. On Saturday afternoon, my brother and sister and I would walk there for the matinee. Mom would give my older brother a 5, and we first went to a "mom & pop" burger place across from the theater. Had a burger basket and drink. Went to the matinee, had either a drink and candy, or popcorn, had a great afternoon, and when we got back, my brother gave her the change. Your talking $40-$50 today.

Winger Ed.
02-26-2023, 02:09 PM
My dad used to take issue with the expression "the good ole days".

My in-laws were kind of like that.

One time someone asked the MIL why in all the old pictures, nobody was ever smiling.
She said, "Back then, there wasn't much to smile about".

MUSTANG
02-26-2023, 05:33 PM

Thank You Demi-God Roosevelt. Your change of direction & influence continued on to the USofA today.

Swineherd
02-26-2023, 05:45 PM
And yet we have lot of old gold coins that never got melted - just like gun laws, a LOT of folks pay no heed to unjust laws.

And, a lot of folks will enforce any unjust law just for the sake of the state sponsored authority that comes with the task.

Ed K
02-26-2023, 11:15 PM
My dad used to take issue with the expression "the good ole days". Yes things might have been cheaper , but not many people had any money and you damn sure had to work harder to get it was his opinion. Seeing the way he grew up, he had good cause to feel that way.

I'm sure there is a degree of truth to this. A dollar would buy a lot but now we can go to a Doctor and receive life-saving treatment while the 1930s guy with the $1 bag of groceries would be dead before he could eat it all.

It would seem this country peaked around 1955-1975 for the purpose of having a decent standard of living, pretty good chance of having mom stay at home and still enough disposable income for the odd summer lake house, a boat, small plane, etc. Sure some peoples income just blows that standard away now but I'm talking a decent standard for Joe six-pack.

shooterg
02-27-2023, 05:42 PM
I have a bunch (50+ bricks) of large and small CCI primers from the mid 1970s, they all go bang without fail. They’ve been stored indoors, no idea if that matters.

I've bought "yard sale" primers the boxes had obviously been wet . Kept 'em in a dry spot for a while, all have gone bang. Since the compounds are placed wet, looks like no harm if dried back out - I would hazard a guess that if they stayed under water long enough, the compounds could migrate , then firing would be problematic.

Winger Ed.
02-27-2023, 06:15 PM
good chance of having mom stay at home and still enough disposable income for the odd summer lake house, a boat, small plane, etc. .

Needing two incomes came along with the runaway taxes.
Not just high income and sales taxes, but all the hidden ones to that are built into everything.
Such as everyone involved in the production and transport of everything is paying those high taxes too.
You don't think you're paying theirs too, but they are built into the price of everything you buy or pay for.

The idea that big evil corporations make too much money and we should tax it away is a fool's errand,
and only has appeal to people who don't have a clue how an economy actually works.
Corporations don't pay any taxes at all--- their customers do it for them.

popper
02-27-2023, 07:20 PM
Evil gas Co in Texas. 0.29$ in Ks, 0.35$ the day I arrived in Dallas, 69. I actually griped to the attendant. Got about 200$/mo. as E5 in 65. GI bill was about 70$/mo., if you carried a full 15 hrs. Below that, zero!

beemer
02-27-2023, 11:19 PM
I've bought "yard sale" primers the boxes had obviously been wet . Kept 'em in a dry spot for a while, all have gone bang. Since the compounds are placed wet, looks like no harm if dried back out - I would hazard a guess that if they stayed under water long enough, the compounds could migrate , then firing would be problematic.

Several years ago I was given a carton of old green box CCI large rifle primers that had been wet. One corner had a box with a few that looked like the compound had migrated. I tried a couple in empty cases and they were duds. I used the rest for cast target loads and they were fine. I don't think I would have used them for anything serious.

02-27-2023, 11:44 PM
I gotta add: My dad was born in 1915. He told me of loading hay for $0.10 a ton.