PDA

View Full Version : Assistance requested...

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-25-2023, 04:54 AM
I recently lucked into a NIB Obermeyer barrel in .375 caliber. Got a very nice DST Mauser and a pretty good walnut blank.

I want to build a 375 Whelen Improved. Can anyone here point me to a thread here with information as far as matching dies and reamer?

I would like to build a big bore woods walker for NA big game, and reputable tin can killer.

thanks,

Rich

MODERATORS: if need be this can be moved to the appropriate forum.

Nobade
02-25-2023, 07:56 AM
If it were me, and I had plenty of time on my hands, I'd buy the dies from CH4D and send them off to Manson Precision to make a reamer to match. It won't be quick or cheap but will work. The other option is to get the dies, make a cerrosafe cast of them, draw the chamber you want, and send that off.

missionary5155
02-25-2023, 08:34 AM
Or buy the reamer, cut your barrel's chamber and re-work a 35 Whelen sizer.

geezer56
02-25-2023, 09:16 AM
You should check out the 376 Steyr. It checks your boxes with off the shelf availability of tools and components.

slam45
02-25-2023, 09:34 AM
these guys will have everything and know what they do real well... https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/

uscra112
02-25-2023, 01:59 PM
these guys will have everything and know what they do real well... https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/

Only took me six months to receive an "in stock" K-Hornet reamer a coupla years ago. And they charged my credit card the day the order was entered.

I use Dave Manson for all my custom work now. Sent him a reamer drawing for my .25 Stevens project early December 2022, received the reamer about the middle of January. Delivered in half the time his order-taker quoted.

Nobade
02-25-2023, 02:09 PM
Only took me six months to receive an "in stock" K-Hornet reamer a coupla years ago. And they charged my credit card the day the order was entered.

I use Dave Manson for all my custom work now. Sent him a reamer drawing for my .25 Stevens project early December 2022, received the reamer about the middle of January. Delivered in half the time his order-taker quoted.
Yep.same here. No way I'd buy another PTG reamer. And I have plenty of them.

BadgerShooter
02-25-2023, 04:15 PM
Thats not leaving you much rim. I've had factory Remington 35 Whelen ammo not headspace correctly in a commercially mfg rifle. Improving it will help but there might be a better cartridge to chamber it in. Its awfully frustrating when your super Whelen Mammal Cruncher goes "Click" while pointed at a nice buck. Ask me how I know.... Glad it didn't happen when I shot a bear with it.

I lucked into a custom mauser sporter in 350 mag with an Obermayer tube. I also have 2 308 position rifles with his barrels. I shot hi-power with him a couple of times and had some conversations when I first started swaging match bullets. Good guy and great barrels! Good Luck!