PDA

View Full Version : Loading Inventory

dale2242
02-24-2023, 12:34 PM
I am doing an inventory of my loading and casting equipment.
Is 75% of retail value a fair evaluation of my equipment?
I feel powder, primers and bullets are worth full retail.

white eagle
02-24-2023, 12:37 PM
Are you getting out?
sounds about rite depending on condition of equipment

kerplode
02-24-2023, 01:00 PM
Is this for insurance purposes, because you're unloading stuff now, or so your survivors will have some idea of what your stuff is worth when you pass?

If for insurance, value everything at full retail.

Otherwise, I think 75% might be a bit high for used equipment. I'd go closer to 50%. Full retail is probably fine for bullets, unopened powder, and primers in their original packaging. Rando-primers and open jugs, to me, have a value of $0.

I'm coming at this from the "As a consumer, what would I pay for that..." angle, not "I'm selling an I want to get as much as possible from this stuff". I know there are plenty of people that would buy open jugs and jars of random primers, but I'm not one of them...

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-24-2023, 01:02 PM
fair evaluation
replacement value are the numbers I'd suggest.

waksupi
02-24-2023, 01:16 PM
At the local auction house, reloading gear is selling consistently for new+ prices.

jdgabbard
02-24-2023, 02:03 PM
75% on equipment seems high to me. I wouldn't pay that much for used equipment unless it was "like new". As for components, Powder and powder I'd probably be a buyer at 75% tops in most cases. Honestly, I have no idea how you stored them. If I want to buy full price I can buy them brand new from a store. Why would I buy your components, of questionable condition in any situation, for the same price? This is just me being realistic. I realize it's a sellers market right now, somebody is bound to jump. But it wouldn't be me. As for bullets, and brass, assuming their in good condition, and the bullets are of modern designs, I can see these going between 75-100% depending on their condition. Obviously brass that is worn out isn't worth as much as new unfired brass. But new unfired brass at most typically just needs a trip to the tumbler to look brand new.

My general rule of thumb when selling anything is to expect to take a hit. Why would someone want my hand-me-downs when they could buy the same thing brand new for the same price.

sparky45
02-24-2023, 02:11 PM
Obviously you haven't bought any "new equipment" in a while. The market is red hot and "new" in most cases is hard to come by. I agree with REPLACEMENT VALUES.
I just this week paid 15 times original retail for a handgun. The handgun hasn't been manufactured since 1968 and has greatly appreciated. As a matter of fact, I've been offered $100 over what I paid for it just yesterday.

rancher1913
02-24-2023, 03:25 PM
if i wrote down an inventory, my wife would know how much i spent, cant have that

stubshaft
02-24-2023, 04:04 PM
I'd need a spreadsheet program to begin to list all of the reloading items I've amassed over the 58 years I've been reloading.!

TurnipEaterDown
02-24-2023, 04:27 PM
75% on equipment seems high to me. I wouldn't pay that much for used equipment unless it was "like new". As for components, Powder and powder I'd probably be a buyer at 75% tops in most cases. Honestly, I have no idea how you stored them. If I want to buy full price I can buy them brand new from a store. Why would I buy your components, of questionable condition in any situation, for the same price? This is just me being realistic. I realize it's a sellers market right now, somebody is bound to jump. But it wouldn't be me. As for bullets, and brass, assuming their in good condition, and the bullets are of modern designs, I can see these going between 75-100% depending on their condition. Obviously brass that is worn out isn't worth as much as new unfired brass. But new unfired brass at most typically just needs a trip to the tumbler to look brand new.

My general rule of thumb when selling anything is to expect to take a hit. Why would someone want my hand-me-downs when they could buy the same thing brand new for the same price.

Right there, for the reasons provided. Also, you never know how someone really treats their tools either.

Turned my attention to another task when a friend came over to use the reloading equipment decades ago, then I heard a raspy 'whoosh-whoosh' sound, went in the room to see him filing an allen wrench because he 'could not find the right one'.

New, buggered, you have recourse. Used buggered, well, generally you are...

Tools wear too, and opened boxes of bullets have reduced value. I don't pay 50% of new for a 1/2 full box of bullets. It just means I have to buy another box after getting a handle started on figuring them out.
Powders do degrade, even if good for decades (usually). I am a sucker for powder auctions, but if it's more than $20 a pound I am generally out. Bought 17.5 lbs last year on auction for $317, to my door $335. I threw out 3.5 pounds of 'guaranteed' powder. After a phone call, the 'guarantee' was that it would light if touched with a match. The rest has been fine, but it's a risk when you send off the money for the 'mystery box'.

Bottom line: We all appreciate honest people, but unknown circumstances and dishonest people make used goods transactions incorporate risk. You have to price for it. On both ends.

Ed K
02-24-2023, 05:09 PM
I am doing an inventory of my loading and casting equipment.
Is 75% of retail value a fair evaluation of my equipment?

Maybe yes on average with some items running towards 100% and others maybe down around 50% as has already been mentioned.

One other good reason for doing a reloading inventory is to be sure it is balanced. For example:
100 30-06 cases (reloaded 10x); 200 jacketed bullets (2x); Mold & 22lbs lead (8X); 1.5 lbs IMR 4064 & 1.5lb Red Dot(The load"); 1000 large rifle primers

That was shot "from the hip". The idea being if one's inventory is not balanced, then when one component becomes unavailable you're sunk no matter how big your pile is.

Winger Ed.
02-24-2023, 08:15 PM
If it's for insurance-- pay a little extra for the 'replacement' clause. And have a lot of pictures.

If you're selling stuff off- check the various auction sites and see what it's going for now.

pworley1
02-24-2023, 08:51 PM
A lot depends on the brand. Some brands hold their value more than others.

1Papalote
02-27-2023, 06:28 AM
I'd have to be in a real bind to buy an opened can of powder.
If I'm paying retail, I'll buy from a supply house.
As I learned from a trade here a few years back, your idea of acceptable condition may be different from mine. No recourse.
If the item is scarce, I can see a higher price ie, odd or out of print brass.

Land Owner
02-28-2023, 08:54 AM
You are asking experienced reloaders and casters ("us") for opinions on Unit Cost Estimating. Not one of us wants to pay Retail. All of us search for a bargain.

Some folks do not look for a bargain. Some folks with wants and desires, will outbid one another at MORE than the offered price. Today, supply is low, and demand is high. What the market will bear fluxuates.

I value my entire arsenal every 5-years at the current retail unit price per item. I inventory everything with photographs, research items through on-line sources, and tally the number of items in a spreadsheet against their current Retail unit price to reach a Total Replacement Value.

That means using my experience (and gut) to fathom whether $4,000 is a "reasonable" asking price, in today's dollars, for an unfired, Belgium-made, scrolled, 20 GA, Browing Superposed, Lightning, O/U (for example). If that value does not "Pass" the giggle test, it doesn't go in my spreadsheet.

What I sell a single item for, or its "realized" value, is a completely different number. If I elect to sell an item for 67% of its current retail price, so be it. If, say, I find a purchaser willing to buy everything, all at one time, I should expect to realize something LESS than the total current retail value - don't you think?

Soundguy
02-28-2023, 09:27 AM
replacement value are the numbers I'd suggest.

Agreed. In fact..id value at full retail..plus shipping and hazmat..and perhaps marked up 2-3% just because every time I see powder it's a dollar more than last month.. 24$ powder from 3ys ago is going for 40-50-70$ a pound at some shows..and selling. 15 cent primers are still out there..though 10c is becoming more common. Brass is spend..and scarce between runs..even projectiles are dry right now. Regular replacement price means little when availability is so low that you pay premium to get them.

deltaenterprizes
02-28-2023, 10:01 AM
I have come to realize that all of my casting and reloading equipment and components are not worth squat without primers!

OS OK
02-28-2023, 10:11 AM
I have come to realize that all of my casting and reloading equipment and components are not worth squat without primers!

"Agreed...No Boom - No Bang - No $ ... but then ... there's the Boat Anchor Market!"

dverna
02-28-2023, 10:19 AM

Send me a list of what you have, and I will give you 25% of retail. I love to help my fellow man...LOL

Rapier
02-28-2023, 11:00 AM
Simplify everything, you have a computer, make a list, or buy Word and make a table with individual totaling columns. Items by description, serial number, options, your cost, value, what you would pay for it, keep the tables updated as you buy, etc.. Tell the heirs, wife, etc where the list and the pictures are, how to access it. Picture is worth 1,000 words.

Insurance on contents/sporting goods is written in several ways, not just one. Some companies cover as any other contents other companies limit sporting goods amount, an allowance for differed perils of loss. The contents coverage itself can be "all risk"not actual all risk coverage just call as such, or as named perils.
Then the method of payment on contents can be:
*Replacement, new for old with no depreciation.
*ACV actual cash value, replacement, less deprecation.

All this depends on the actual policy wording, what you think, has no bearing on the actual wording.

52 years as an agent and adjster.

white eagle
02-28-2023, 12:03 PM
if i wrote down an inventory, my wife would know how much i spent, cant have that

that is another thing
sheesh

lightman
02-28-2023, 02:36 PM
I have bought and sold Dillon equipment for 75% of new if it looked clean and well cared for. Other brands 50-60% if it looked well cared for. Components ???

quilbilly
02-28-2023, 02:57 PM
Having been a wholesaler of outdoor equipment (fishing and some hunting) for over 40 year, the markup for most except guns and a few other high dollar items is about 40%. Inexpensive consumables are marked up 50% in most markets. If you watch the TV show "Pawn Stars" closely, their markup is about 40% and negotiations begin about there.
Markups for clothing get ridiculous.

Boogan1
03-02-2023, 09:42 AM
I have made a pretty good little side business of buying and selling used reloading equipment. Blue stuff (Dillon) will bring almost full retail for used because they are so far behind on new, specially stuff like dies. Dillon machines are at about 80% of retail. Other good heavy built stuff like RCBS, Lyman, older Lee, all are at about 65-75%. Components like primers and powder you need to look at current availability and price. Primers you paid $15/1k for fifteen years ago will now bring $100/1k if you stored them right and the boxes look good.

Soundguy
03-02-2023, 11:41 AM

And that's why you keep lots of them...