PDA

View Full Version : what have they done

white eagle
02-23-2023, 12:54 PM
I can't understand it
what has this generation come to ?
there was a couple of inches of snow yesterday and they cancelled school
I can not believe the people has not our children missed enough school already?
When I was young we had to walk through 12" of snow uphill both ways to get to and from school
are we raising a bunch of sissies?:Fire:

Cosmic_Charlie
02-23-2023, 12:56 PM
i bet your mother gave you baked potatoes out of the oven to keep your hands warm and for lunch too.

white eagle
02-23-2023, 01:06 PM
well how did you know

Red River Rick
02-23-2023, 01:43 PM
i bet your mother gave you baked potatoes out of the oven to keep your hands warm and for lunch too.

Boiled eggs in our mitts kept our hands warm.

Alstep
02-23-2023, 02:46 PM
My bed warmer was a brick that was heated on the kitchen wood stove. Wrapped it in a towel and put it under the covers before I went to bed. Toasty warm.

BLAHUT
02-23-2023, 03:41 PM
Depending on how cold it got, I just brought one or more dogs in bed to help keep warm. If you didn't know, that's where 3-dog-night came from, before the band. Today as I look out the back door, there is a 7-foot-high snow drift across the back of the house, out the front of the house the snow drift by the house is about 5 feet high and at the end of the driveway the snow pile is about 8 feet high. As far as bed warmers some used a hot water bottle or cherry stones warmed on the wood stove. The dogs had a ball outside, they swam their way out past the big snowdrift and did not want to come back in.

jimlj
02-23-2023, 04:05 PM
I actually did have to walk a mile to school, in the snow up hill both ways. When the roads were clear we rode old hand me down bikes to school. I left more than one patch of hide on the road when we had bike wrecks. I don't recall school ever being canceled due to snow, but there is a lot I don't recall that happened 60 years ago.

Hannibal
02-23-2023, 04:10 PM
It's not hard to figure out. Some Karen would sue the school district and win if their kid got hurt getting to school due to poor road conditions.

So they cancel classes.

Ickisrulz
02-23-2023, 04:21 PM
Schools normally schedule a certain number of "snow days" into their academic year. So when they use them, kids aren't really missing a programmed day of school.

I had snow days when I was a kid and I'm not really that young. So it's not really a new thing. What closes a school depends on where you live and what resources they have for dealing with snow and ice and what drivers are accustomed to.

Winger Ed.
02-23-2023, 04:47 PM
When I was young we had to walk through 12" of snow uphill both ways to get to and from school

You had it easy.

We had to get up and milk the cows first. Then walk to school through the pasture with a bull in it.
Too poor to have shoes--- we had to wrap barbed wire around our feet just to get some traction on the ice.

These new age kids are a bunch of wimps, don't appreciate anything, and don't want to work.
I've had a full time job since I was three years old.
I started off in the coal mines making 4 cents a day. I first hired on as a shovel.

We didn't have all those fancy toys for kids made in China---- by kids.
All we had to play with was dirt.

But we were grateful.

centershot
02-23-2023, 05:25 PM
Yes, Amen, we are grateful for what we have, having worked all our lives to get it. The Mrs. and I grew up as children of working people and we learned HOW to work, not like these kids today. I started mowing neighborhood lawns as soon as I was big enough to handle the mower, 9 or 10 maybe. Cheryl Ann was babysitting neighborhood kids from the time she was 11, made good money at it too! When I was 12 I took the Power Squadron course and passed it, after that dad would let me take the boat whenever I wanted it - IF I had the gas for it. I started hangin' out at the marina down the road, owned by an old friend of my folks, Bob Musty was his name. After stumbling around down there for a couple weeks Bob figured he better put me to work, so I ended up on the gas dock and cleaning boats and the boat barn 3-4 days a week. Twelve years old and gainfully employed, you'lda' thought I won the Lotto! In answer to White Eagle's question - Yes, kids today ARE sissies!

redriverhunter
02-23-2023, 05:35 PM
I am not sure where you live. Here in north texas is does not take much snow or ice to shut the schools down. We are not prepaired for the snow or ice, my car has all season tire but that about it, which I dont think is much. Doctor offices and such usally shut down for the day as well.

375supermag
02-23-2023, 05:59 PM
You had it easy.

We had to get up and milk the cows first. Then walk to school through the pasture with a bull in it.
Too poor to have shoes--- we had to wrap barbed wire around our feet just to get some traction on the ice.

These new age kids are a bunch of wimps, don't appreciate anything, and don't want to work.
I've had a full time job since I was three years old.
I started off in the coal mines making 4 cents a day. I first hired on as a shovel.

We didn't have all those fancy toys for kids made in China---- by kids.
All we had to play with was dirt.

But we were grateful.

I wish my parents could have afforded dirt for all of us.
Only my older brother, my younger sister and my younger brother got their own dirt to play with.
I only got hand me down used dirt to play with.

Winger Ed.
02-23-2023, 06:03 PM
there was a couple of inches of snow yesterday and they cancelled school

At Quantico, I had a kid from Detroit working for me.
All summer I heard, "Nobody can drive on the snow but me".
I tried to tell him it was different here. It isn't just snow, which is sort of like driving on a dirt road.
Here, we have ice to go with-- on, and even under it. And we also have 'black ice' you can see until you're on it.

It was like giving singing lessons to a pig..... I got more of 'nobody can drive on the snow but me'.

The morning of our first storm, he was late getting in.
Finally, him with his beloved Police surplus Fury III on the back of a wrecker got in. It had been rolled over at least twice.
I asked him if he had been teaching some one how to drive on the snow.

.... No,, That comment did not move him over into his happy place.

country gent
02-23-2023, 06:12 PM
If it snowed we had to shovel the path as we walked to school so Mom could get to town

Hannibal
02-23-2023, 06:12 PM
I wish my parents could have afforded dirt for all of us.
Only my older brother, my younger sister and my younger brother got their own dirt to play with.
I only got hand me down used dirt to play with.

I had to make my own dirt. Wish I'd been as lucky as you. Only had some moldy bread crust for dinner some nights. But I was sure glad to get it.

sparky45
02-23-2023, 06:26 PM
First Liar doesn't stand a chance.

Winger Ed.
02-23-2023, 06:45 PM
Wish I'd been as lucky as you. Only had some moldy bread crust for dinner some nights. But I was sure glad to get it.

Hmmm. I guess we were rich and just didn't know it.
We had regular bread to make 'wish' sandwiches with.

It was one small piece of stale bread, and you wished you had some meat.

I used to put it on pretty heavy when I worked with young guys.
The shop had a basket ball hoop against the back of the building and they'd play during lunch sometimes.
I'd walk by and tell 'em,
"When I was your age, we didn't have those fancy basket balls. We had to play hoops with a cat".

elmacgyver0
02-23-2023, 06:47 PM
I am not sure where you live. Here in north texas is does not take much snow or ice to shut the schools down. We are not prepaired for the snow or ice, my car has all season tire but that about it, which I dont think is much. Doctor offices and such usally shut down for the day as well.

First lesson:
1. Don't drive 60 mph on ice.
Actually, that's about it.
We don't have magic tires up here in the "snow belt" either.
At one time we could have "studded snow tires".
I even had a "gun" for studding them, looked a lot like a caulking gun, think I may still have it.
Studded tires were outlawed many years ago, I haven't even heard much about "snowtires" in many years.

Doughty
02-23-2023, 06:53 PM
I must have been the luckiest kid of all you here. I went to a school that did close when it snowed. My 3rd grade year, 1960 if my math is right. Fordland, Missouri. It snowed and got so cold that all the pipes at school froze and burst. We were out of school for weeks; playing in the snow. Of course later, they tried to make us go to school on Saturdays etc., but they eventually gave up on that so, win-win.

JSnover
02-23-2023, 07:15 PM
At Quantico, I had a kid from Detroit working for me.
All summer I heard, "Nobody can drive on the snow but me".
I tried to tell him it was different here. It isn't just snow, which is sort of like driving on a dirt road.
Here, we have ice to go with-- on, and even under it. And we also have 'black ice' you can see until you're on it.

It was like giving singing lessons to a pig..... I got more of 'nobody can drive on the snow but me'.

The morning of our first storm, he was late getting in.
Finally, him with his beloved Police surplus Fury III on the back of a wrecker got in. It had been rolled over at least twice.
I asked him if he had been teaching some one how to drive on the snow.

.... No,, That comment did not move him over into his happy place.

Any time I hear that I wonder what else they're lying about.

10-15 years ago on Cape Cod we had a blizzard on a Sunday night and those folks who "know how to drive in snow" had a record number of accidents Monday morning. As Cape winters do, Tuesday warmed up and most of the snow was gone by Wednesday night, just in time for another blizzard. Thursday morning, the drivers who still had cars set another accident record. Apparently it only took two days for them to forget how to drive in snow.

jsizemore
02-23-2023, 07:17 PM
Got to 84degF just east of Raleigh, NC today. Had to turn on the AC.

pmer
02-23-2023, 08:19 PM
If we wanted heat in school we had to bring our own fire wood.

Alex_4x4
02-23-2023, 08:30 PM
And most importantly: In winter, never, under any circumstances, eat yellow snow.

M-Tecs
02-23-2023, 08:35 PM
It's not hard to figure out. Some Karen would sue the school district and win if their kid got hurt getting to school due to poor road conditions.

So they cancel classes.

That is it in a nutshell.

porthos
02-23-2023, 08:35 PM
in response to the original question: schools are using the authorized snow days>

BUT, yes, we are raising a bunch of sissies!!

megasupermagnum
02-23-2023, 08:56 PM
Did things peter out farther east? This is one of the gnarliest blizzards I've been through. Visibility wasn't that horrible, but it wasn't great. The amount of snow plus 50 mph winds have created snow drifts I've only seen a few times before. Lots of roads closed. There's no way a school bus would have made it through some of the stuff that's out there. With the continued winds, I haven't even seen plows out except in the city, and on major highways.

elmacgyver0
02-23-2023, 09:06 PM
in response to the original question: schools are using the authorized snow days>

After all the Covid BS you would have thought they would have run out of snow days a long time ago.
I still think Alex_4x4 had the best responce.

SSGOldfart
02-23-2023, 09:18 PM

Wow that's true

popper
02-23-2023, 09:21 PM
Reading stories of kids (1850s) in northern Missouri. If the snow was over the fence, the sleigh could go over it. Otherwise took the wagon. School was 3 miles away and they went barefooted in decent weather - shoes were saved for 'when needed'. Wagon BLANKETS (plural) was a true thing. They didn't want to miss school - it was WARM.

CastingFool
02-23-2023, 09:23 PM
I did have a job studding snow tires. Studded my own for my 1966 Chevy II, with 6 cyl engine. The studded snow tires were great, till they got banned

Der Gebirgsjager
02-23-2023, 09:41 PM
Funny, funny, all sort of funny, sort of....we walked 1 mile to catch the school bus, one of those compact models that would maybe hold 12 passengers, and it was uphill both ways, as the first half mile was downhill, and the second half was uphill. That was in the summertime, but in the winter when it snowed the lady bus driver refused to come closer than 2 1/2 miles. So under those circumstances we either walked the entire distance in the snow or home schooled.

Are we raising sissies today? I don't know......a lot of them are certainly "different". Few go in the military any more, and some aren't sure which bathroom to use. Hard to get a handle on the percentages, as the ones who are "different" get so much publicity. Then, you can take a look at some places like Chicago where 50-some schools had no math or writing proficiency at all---so maybe it doesn't matter if they can get to school or not.

DG

Hannibal
02-23-2023, 09:41 PM
First lesson:
1. Don't drive 60 mph on ice.
Actually, that's about it.
We don't have magic tires up here in the "snow belt" either.
At one time we could have "studded snow tires".
I even had a "gun" for studding them, looked a lot like a caulking gun, think I may still have it.
Studded tires were outlawed many years ago, I haven't even heard much about "snowtires" in many years.

Snow tires were back before radial tires took over the industry. Before that, it was bias ply tires. Refers to the way the tire is constructed. I won't get into details because it's a bit complicated but the benefit to a radial tire is lower rolling resistance which has 3 major benefits. Increased fuel economy, longer tread wear for the same rubber compounds and increased traction.

The biggest problem is people don't replace the tires on their vehicles when they should and then when rain and snow events occur they loose control because on top of having worn tires they drive like the pavement is dry.

Minerat
02-23-2023, 09:57 PM
Got to 84degF just east of Raleigh, NC today. Had to turn on the AC.

On the west side of Denver it got to a balmy 8° today from -13°F last night. The schools had a late start today.

farmbif
02-23-2023, 10:00 PM
I think you might find the reality of the educational system most of our school departments have standards lower than nearly all of the other civilized countries in the world.
if a child has no desire to do the work to learn all they can in school they can still graduate because the school boards do everything they can to make it easy just to try and keep the attendance numbers up to maintain funding.

maxreloader
02-23-2023, 10:22 PM
One of the local banks here in town had a "delayed start" as the operator quoted me when I called... at 10am this morning. I was there to do business at 8:30 am. There was MAYBE 3 inches of snow at their location... you would think I live in Florida... but nope, Maine. I have been a customer of this bank for almost 30 years and the ONLY reason I still bank there is a woman named Judy... she is the last familiar face, once she leaves, I'm done. No if's, and's, or buts. Local help isn't cutting it these days so they hire J1 or H21 visa workers (not sure of the actual titles) but I can tell you that the "local" help here isn't so "local" anymore. So damn sad.

Winger Ed.
02-23-2023, 10:47 PM
And most importantly: In winter, never, under any circumstances, eat yellow snow.

Coor's is a famous brand of beer here.
Their home is in Colorado, and they used to advertise it was made from water that came all pure melted snow.
(It never was. They used the city water supply like everybody else)

After that advertising campaign came out, everybody called it 'wolf wizz'.

rockshooter
02-23-2023, 11:19 PM
I run all-season tires most of the year but switch to dedicated snow tires for winter. It makes a real difference. We still have studded tires available but I haven't used them in years. For a while I used sawdust retreads- they worked well also.
Loren

centershot
02-24-2023, 12:41 PM
Living in the snow belt of western NY, we know about snow....ugh! Cheryl & I have both been driving Subaru's for 30 years now; Yes, I know, Japanese product, but they're made here in the USA over in Indiana. At least American families have incomes to pay bills, etc. But, even with all wheel drive, we run snow tires year 'round. The last set I replaced gave me 45,000 miles of wear, and I've found that they give as much, or more, traction as all-season or "summer" tires even in the summertime. Saves us the expense of having two sets of tires per vehicle.

megasupermagnum
02-24-2023, 12:47 PM
Living in the snow belt of western NY, we know about snow....ugh! Cheryl & I have both been driving Subaru's for 30 years now; Yes, I know, Japanese product, but they're made here in the USA over in Indiana. At least American families have incomes to pay bills, etc. But, even with all wheel drive, we run snow tires year 'round. The last set I replaced gave me 45,000 miles of wear, and I've found that they give as much, or more, traction as all-season or "summer" tires even in the summertime. Saves us the expense of having two sets of tires per vehicle.

What kind of tires are those? Most real snow tires are shot in 20000 miles, or get hard by 4-5 years. Whichever comes first. Driving them in the summer would wipe them out in no time

I suspect you actually have all terrain tires with a winter rating.

waksupi
02-24-2023, 01:20 PM
A friend of mine had been working on the King Ranch in Texas, and was heading back to Montana. The roads were closed in Texas due to snow. A highway patrol man stopped him before he entered the highway he needed to go on, and was informed the road was closed. My friend asked what for? Snow, of course! Then the patrolman looked at his Montana license plate, and waved him on his way.

MUSTANG
02-24-2023, 01:27 PM

Or hardened Chocolate Peanut Clusters one might find in the snow.

MUSTANG
02-24-2023, 01:29 PM

My wife has been off and on Subsitute Teaching in Northwest Montana. "SCHOOL RULE" - Unless it's less than 10 degrees Fahrenheit; all Students WILL go outside for recess and breaks!.

blackthorn
02-24-2023, 01:41 PM
We may well be raising a bunch of sissies-----but I would like to point out ---IT AINT THE KIDS THAT ARE CLOSING THE SCHOOLS !!! When the schools are closed just look around and see all (or most) of the kids sliding down a local hill.

MaryB
02-24-2023, 02:11 PM
A friend of mine had been working on the King Ranch in Texas, and was heading back to Montana. The roads were closed in Texas due to snow. A highway patrol man stopped him before he entered the highway he needed to go on, and was informed the road was closed. My friend asked what for? Snow, of course! Then the patrolman looked at his Montana license plate, and waved him on his way.

I had that happen entering IA on the way back to MN. They had traffic going into a rest stop but the cop saw my plates and waved me thru. 2" of snow on top of a little ice, not bad, did 45mph thru it... until I crossed I 90 in MN. We found a motel and spent the night. Started bucking 2' drifts and even with the 4wd Ford E250 van on 33" tires it was to much for decent traction... after going airborne a third time over a hard packed drift my friend suggested stopping. I think he was tired of me bouncing his head off the roof! Friends in back were complaining they were getting seasick LOL We packed 6 people into the only open room we could find. Drank beer, watched movies, motel had their own pizza place so had pizza delivered... we always found a way to have a good time!

MaryB
02-24-2023, 02:16 PM
It had to get really bad before they closed schools when I was growing up... and they waited until they gt in enough hours to call it an official school day. Teachers expected us to do the work and catch up when we got back to class in 2-3 days.

Right now the town kids have class, and any farm kids on paved routes. The gravel farm roads are still impassable with 6'++ drifts. Farmers are clearing sections to help but it will take the weekend to get them all opened back up. Heard a dozen snowmobiles head behind my house over to the school so some of the closer farm kids came in via that way.

super6
02-24-2023, 02:45 PM
I had a paper rought at 10 years old with 240 customers with 10" of snow At 4:00 in the morning and a bicycle was a pain! Went to school the same morning after a hot shower. We all have our story's. Kids today do not have any Ideal to how to even ride a bike, Ohio In the 60s.

Alex_4x4
02-24-2023, 03:32 PM
... When the schools are closed just look around and see all (or most) of the kids sliding down a local hill.

This is exactly what happened during my high school years. When the outside temperature dropped to minus thirty degrees Celsius, my school was closed and the students were allowed to go home. And while the parents of the students were at work, all the children played and had fun on the street. Too bad this didn't happen often.

Yes, and yet, at low temperatures, the indicator of air humidity and wind speed is very important. Well, in the city and in the countryside, the cold is tolerated differently. The countryside is colder.

And you can’t be careless in an unfamiliar area: a few years ago, my wife’s school friend went to a sparsely populated village, where she bought a house, to ski in the forest. I went for a ride in the forest in the evening, got lost and froze to death. And all she had to do was take a compass and matches with her.

This winter in my city is comfortable: the average temperature is minus 5 - 8 degrees Celsius, the air humidity is traditionally high, but the wind (if it happens) is moderate. And there was enough snow this year for winter snowdrifts. It's a good winter for me.

ulav8r
02-24-2023, 10:27 PM
This is exactly what happened during my high school years. When the outside temperature dropped to minus thirty degrees Celsius, my school was closed and the students were allowed to go home. And while the parents of the students were at work, all the children played and had fun on the street. Too bad this didn't happen often.

Yes, and yet, at low temperatures, the indicator of air humidity and wind speed is very important. Well, in the city and in the countryside, the cold is tolerated differently. The countryside is colder.

And you can’t be careless in an unfamiliar area: a few years ago, my wife’s school friend went to a sparsely populated village, where she bought a house, to ski in the forest. I went for a ride in the forest in the evening, got lost and froze to death. And all she had to do was take a compass and matches with her.

This winter in my city is comfortable: the average temperature is minus 5 - 8 degrees Celsius, the air humidity is traditionally high, but the wind (if it happens) is moderate. And there was enough snow this year for winter snowdrifts. It's a good winter for me.

Sorry you died.

GL49
02-25-2023, 01:27 AM
Sorry you died.

I missed that one until you pointed it out.

My son lives in Billings and said he took the dog for a walk, 0 degrees, he had on short pants and a jacket, all he said was his ears got cold and he wishes he had worn a hat. He hasn't said they've closed the schools, I know he's been at work teaching every day.

He did say when it got down to about 10 below he and his wife still took their dog on a walk and but they didn't dawdle like they usually do. Most likely the dog took them for a walk.
I'm glad not all kids grow up to be a pansy.
Here in Ashland they close the schools if it's too hot, too cold, too windy, too rainy, or....
just a possibility of any of the above. We get a hazardous weather warning if it may snow an inch overnight. Sheesh.

xd45forever
02-25-2023, 01:59 AM
I'm 59 all my children are out on their own but I remember it took some pretty bad weather before they cancelled school and if there were too many snow days they added the days to the school year. Now my GF and I are raising her grandchildren, we live in the country and the kids ride the bus and it seems if we get more than a couple inches of snow the bus won't come down our road if its not plowed! I don't get it! And a guardian has to be out at the end of the driveway to put them on the bus and when they get off as well! Plus they have a bus monitor on the bus besides the driver..... We never had that! Our driver had eyes in the back of his head and had no problem kicking a little butt when needed! Lol

Winger Ed.
02-25-2023, 03:53 AM
bus won't come down our road if its not plowed! I don't get it!

Probably a liability issue and the school district's lawyers/administrators got that limitation put into their procedures.
Since the kids aren't wearing seat belts--
Crashed and rolled over school busses make a mess, and look really bad on the evening news.

More often than not, these 'One size fits all' laws and regulations are like what I've heard about
the clothes you get when you join the Army. They only seem to come in one size---- too big.

Alex_4x4
02-25-2023, 04:20 AM
Sorry you died.

These are the features of the work of the Google translator program. I spoke about the fate of the woman with whom my wife went to school together.

Do not judge strictly my way of communicating with the audience on this forum.

:-)

Using the translator program for a long time, I came to the disappointing conclusion that artificial intelligence has no brains, probably like the programmers who created this program.

Winger Ed.
02-25-2023, 04:28 AM
These are the features of the work of the Google translator program. .

As complex as both languages are,,,, different words that mean the same thing, a single word that can mean different things,
and some things that pretty much don't translate at all with out an explanation:
I cut it some slack and all things considered-- I think it does a pretty good job.

You just have question it sometimes when it goofs up and tell yourself, 'No, they didn't really mean it that way'.

Alex_4x4
02-25-2023, 06:31 AM
As complex as both languages are,,,, different words that mean the same thing, a single word that can mean different things,
and some things that pretty much don't translate at all with out an explanation:
I cut it some slack and all things considered-- I think it does a pretty good job.

You just have question it sometimes when it goofs up and tell yourself, 'No, they didn't really mean it that way'.

Edward, I don't have time to study English, but I want to communicate in English. Therefore, Google translator (as the best of what I have seen) is my choice. I appreciated the advantages of this program and I know its shortcomings. I also came up with a technology for using this program: first I translate the text from Russian into English, and then I translate the resulting translation from English back into Russian and see how much the meaning of what I said has changed. Then, if necessary, I edit the text in Russian in order to adapt it as much as possible for translation into English. And the cycle repeats.

And in the case of an incorrect translation of my text, I did the same and everything was in order. And you see the result yourself.

And as for the idiomatic turns, context and polysemantic words - I completely agree, this is not for the mechanical translation of words, and even grammar and punctuation will not help here to the fullest. When the program starts asking me questions during the translation, I will be surprised, but I admit that I am observing the rudiments of artificial intelligence.

Winger Ed.
02-25-2023, 01:58 PM
first I translate the text from Russian into English, and then I translate the resulting translation from English back into Russian and see how much the meaning of what I said has changed. Then, if necessary, I edit the text in Russian in order to adapt it as much as possible for translation into English. And the cycle repeats..

Well, that sounds like a lot of work for such little rewards as you often get doing something we all take for granted.
I for one appreciate your efforts.

With countries being kind of small, and many with their own ethnic extraction and languages,
I've learned it's common for people over there to learn and speak multiple languages.
Here, we spend our spare time watching about 200 different channels on TV that are at least 95% trash.

Anyway:
It's darn interesting to see the perspective of those in different places and cultures.
I've read a little bit about firearms restrictions being slowly lifted over there, and hope that does well for your business.

My Dad would hear of someone's success story and often comment,
"It's good to see the little guy win once in awhile".

dverna
02-25-2023, 05:36 PM
Alex, don’t get too concerned about it.

If we tried to communicate in Russian it would be a joke...in fact, some on this forum do not do well in their own language.

BTW, you do much better than the translator function on YouTube. I can barely follow some of the videos you post.

rockrat
02-25-2023, 06:57 PM
My kid, in their 30's now, never had a snow day from k-12. Even when there was a 15" snow. My Jeep Wrangler came in handy then. Nowadays, its different. Had a 9" snow and they closed school for two days. Even a 4-5" snow will do it.

bgokk
02-25-2023, 07:44 PM

Ain't that the truth! heehee!

Alex_4x4
02-25-2023, 08:08 PM
I've read a little bit about firearms restrictions being slowly lifted over there, and hope that does well for your business.

My Dad would hear of someone's success story and often comment,
"It's good to see the little guy win once in awhile".

You know, the most liberal legislation about weapons (by the standards of my country) was in the USSR under Stalin, then under Khrushchev they began to "tighten the screws" and this continued from Brezhnev to Yeltsin. The law "On Weapons" was adopted in Russia in 1996, and with numerous amendments (improving and / or worsening this law) it still exists today. And I don’t have a business, I have a hobby that provides me with cash receipts for life. If I tried to turn my hobby into a business, I would very soon be either bankrupt or possibly a defendant in a criminal case.

As one not the most stupid person said: "Tourism and emigration should not be confused."

Yes, and your father was absolutely right, and not that it "wins", but that it happens "from time to time". It is always pleasant to remember, "having fallen and smashed your face on the pavement," that there were moments in your life when you "stood upright and not with a broken physiognomy." Such memories stimulate once again "to get up and move on."

Alex_4x4
02-25-2023, 08:16 PM
Alex, don’t get too concerned about it.

If we tried to communicate in Russian it would be a joke...in fact, some on this forum do not do well in their own language.

BTW, you do much better than the translator function on YouTube. I can barely follow some of the videos you post.

It’s easier for me, I look at life in the USA through the eyes of several bloggers from YouTube, who are first-generation emigrants and still speak Russian.

ulav8r
02-25-2023, 10:17 PM
Though an "error" got past you, you still do much better communicating with most of us on this forum than I would do on any non-English language form.

I had noticed at one time that you were in Russia, but I often don't even pay much attention to who makes every post. Sometimes after reading a post, I will then take notice of the poster and their location when it is shown.

Walks
02-25-2023, 11:13 PM
Geez,
I had it so easy going to school in the Los Angeles area in the 1960's. No snow, a little bit of rain. Usually a little bit of rain, winter 68/69 was a bit heavy. But since the morons hadn't started building into the Deep canyons yet, no mudslides.
First LA City schools then LA County schools. And back to LA City schools.
Then the powers that be combined them and created LA Unified. And it went down hill faster then you can imagine.
Dress code changed, which we students liked.

All you that walked 10 miles uphill both ways in 6ft of snow sure got a better education then My last 2yrs of High School.

Bmi48219
02-26-2023, 02:49 AM
We grew up in Michigan but very seldom got a snow day off from school, at most once per winter.
We shoveled the driveway and sidewalk in the morning before walking the ten blocks to school. Same chore after school if needed. Then I’d head out with a snow shovel over my shoulder to make some money. A heavy snow on Friday night meant I’d earn a pocket full of dollar bills Saturday. Sunday too, but not until after church. I had a night (7 pm) paper route with several customers that me paid a dollar or two to shovel their snow in winter, mow grass in summer and rake leaves in autumn.
A lot of my classmates received an allowance. Dad allowed me to use the family snow shovel, rake and push mower.

stripe
02-27-2023, 03:57 PM
I grew up in the Pittsburgh, PA area and as a kid we looked forward to snow. First, there was the very real possibility of school being cancelled; we had no school busses and everyone walked. Second, we could make money shoveling sidewalks and drive ways. Third, we could also make money by waiting for cars to get bogged down going up hill and we would get as many guys as we could on the rear bumper to add weight to the car. Fourth, we would get someones fathers shovel and shovel cinders from the storage bins the townships had on hilly areas under the tires of cars. Sometimes the drivers just kept going and we didn't get paid. That was okay because we enjoyed riding the bumpers. Can you imagine kids doing that now? Someone would be in jail. And then there were the obligatory snowball "fights" that I remember as exhausting. Them brown cotton gloves got soaked through after packing the first snowball. Every, single, time.

white eagle
02-28-2023, 11:57 AM
we called riding the bumpers Skeetching for what ever reason
we always loved doing that on city busses never got caught
hated when we hit the pavement though that had been salted and no snow
also when we had ice storms we used to skate on the streets
yeah those were the good ol days

Bmi48219
02-28-2023, 12:09 PM
…. Them brown cotton gloves got soaked through after packing the first snowball. Every, single, time.

You had gloves? :coffee:

super6
02-28-2023, 12:29 PM
There is enough here to write a book about...LOL It will not be me as it would take me 10 years. As most here know I am just not a writer.

MaryB
02-28-2023, 12:48 PM
Hill we snow tubed on was STEEP on the bottom 2/3... couldn't see the bottom from the top. Started at about a 30 degree slope then 1/3 the way down changed to a 60 degree. We posted a lookout on the changeover to let us know if the bottom was clear. Kids broke bones on that hill every year... cop measured us on radar coming off the bottom at 60mph...

Now they re-did that hill into a wimp hill... 25 degree slope max all the way down. And hay bales at te bottom to keep kids form running onto the road like we used to do on icy days. Bounced off a car several times LOL

The other hill I used to sled is chained off. Started out in a ravine at the golf course. There was a bridge over it for golfers to walk on from the clubhouse and it had 4 telephone poles set 10' apart to shoot thru. Every year some kid would smack a pole before we had snow banked up around them to push people to the center... once out of the ravine is was a 1/2 mile long slope and a blast.

super6
02-28-2023, 01:01 PM
We had suicide hill and MD 20-20 And broke bones! Mostly tubes. Golf coarse and trees to stop us!

Thin Man
03-04-2023, 10:25 AM
Only this week our city's school system (grades 1-12) announced on Wednesday they were going to close all classes this past Friday because of the forecast of high-speed WIND that was coming our way. Wish they could have done that for those of us who graced their halls when we were there.

WRideout
03-05-2023, 11:36 AM
These are the features of the work of the Google translator program. I spoke about the fate of the woman with whom my wife went to school together.

Do not judge strictly my way of communicating with the audience on this forum.

Using the translator program for a long time, I came to the disappointing conclusion that artificial intelligence has no brains, probably like the programmers who created this program.

Great news! Now we can use artificial intelligence to replace the government, cheaper and with no loss in efficiency.

Wayne

super6
03-05-2023, 11:46 AM
Great news! Now we can use artificial intelligence to replace the government, cheaper and with no loss in efficiency.

Wayne

Woke on high. Please do not give them new ideals, Most likely in the works already....

tudor8055
03-05-2023, 12:31 PM
When I was in high school the bus driver got out of class ten minutes early so he could have the bus ready when the bell rang.