PDA

View Full Version : Freezing of Group buys

mpkunz607
02-23-2023, 10:45 AM
Has there been any change regarding group buys being frozen ? As I understand it they were frozen in September 2022 and are still frozen as of February 2023 because the manufacturers are not providing products, is that correct ? I'm asking because I am considering adding a machining center for custom moulds, and trying to sort out whether it is worth the investment in the equipment to post an offer to take over production of items for those who are already committed to unfulfilled orders, or whether to just open a new online site to offer the service. Feedback appreciated. Thanx.

Lakehouse2012
02-23-2023, 09:47 PM
I'm intrigued with your post. As one of the honchos, and specifically the one who went over to visit Miha at his shop last month, I'd like to talk with you further.

Currently the site owners and MP are trying to work through a solution, but so far, it is not complete.

PM me if your interested in talking further.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Mr Peabody
02-24-2023, 07:36 PM
I think you could stay busy selling quality molds

justindad
02-25-2023, 01:31 AM
Any chance iron/steel molds are in the running?

sukivel
02-25-2023, 08:10 AM
I think you could stay busy selling quality molds

Absolutely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpkunz607
03-15-2023, 03:33 PM
Yes. (Steel is in the running.)

Rickf1985
03-27-2023, 10:00 AM
You say you are think of "adding a machining center for custom molds". Does this mean you already have a business involving gun related stuff? Anybody that knows me here knows I tend to be the guy who is the skeptical one. What you are proposing take money, a lot of it and the return on that investment will take a long time to pay off. I am not a person that like group buys myself since when I want a mold I want it now, not years down the road. So if you do this will you also be able to cater to people in general?

jeepyj
03-27-2023, 10:05 AM
following with interest

Sudsy
04-06-2023, 10:45 PM
following with interest

+1 !

MrWolf
04-07-2023, 09:36 AM
You say you are think of "adding a machining center for custom molds". Does this mean you already have a business involving gun related stuff? Anybody that knows me here knows I tend to be the guy who is the skeptical one. What you are proposing take money, a lot of it and the return on that investment will take a long time to pay off. I am not a person that like group buys myself since when I want a mold I want it now, not years down the road. So if you do this will you also be able to cater to people in general?

Hmmm... no comments in about three weeks. Like you, I have seen and even participated in a few ventures from folks here with some being outright lies. Be careful folks.

No_1
04-11-2023, 07:03 AM
Has there been any change regarding group buys being frozen ? As I understand it they were frozen in September 2022 and are still frozen as of February 2023 because the manufacturers are not providing products, is that correct ? I'm asking because I am considering adding a machining center for custom moulds, and trying to sort out whether it is worth the investment in the equipment to post an offer to take over production of items for those who are already committed to unfulfilled orders, or whether to just open a new online site to offer the service. Feedback appreciated. Thanx.

No change in the group buy status.

Lakehouse2012
04-12-2023, 11:06 PM
Hey guys - I've been talking with mpkunz607 for the last month about the possibility of getting into mold making. He is a sincere person and is trying to put a plan together to make this work. We spent time together on a meeting one evening a week ago and I gave them a ton of necessary details to making this work. The idea would be to start small and run one mold that has been a big favorite for years. Once that is executed successfully for all parties involved, grow to include additional options.

NOTE- this might never be a conventional GB, as noted in the previous post from Robert, the process is still closed. So there would also have to be a process setup for listing interested folks for signup.

There is a lot to this, to make it work. please be patient - I know he is well intentioned, have all the machining skills necessary and is putting a business plan together. It will take several months to get things rolling, but at this point, I think its possible and I stand beside him in taking a shot.

Thanks,
Chris
(Lakehouse2012)

Hmmm... no comments in about three weeks. Like you, I have seen and even participated in a few ventures from folks here with some being outright lies. Be careful folks.

MrWolf
04-13-2023, 09:32 AM
Hey guys - I've been talking with mpkunz607 for the last month about the possibility of getting into mold making. He is a sincere person and is trying to put a plan together to make this work. We spent time together on a meeting one evening a week ago and I gave them a ton of necessary details to making this work. The idea would be to start small and run one mold that has been a big favorite for years. Once that is executed successfully for all parties involved, grow to include additional options.

NOTE- this might never be a conventional GB, as noted in the previous post from Robert, the process is still closed. So there would also have to be a process setup for listing interested folks for signup.

There is a lot to this, to make it work. please be patient - I know he is well intentioned, have all the machining skills necessary and is putting a business plan together. It will take several months to get things rolling, but at this point, I think its possible and I stand beside him in taking a shot.

Thanks,
Chris
(Lakehouse2012)

All it really takes is an update post now and then, just like you did. Communication goes a long way. Thanks.

mpkunz607
04-18-2023, 08:53 AM
Chris asked me to post something. There isn’t much to add to what he has said. First, thank you to honcho Chris (Lakehouse2102) for reading my post and contacting me through private messaging about the possibility of pursuing making moulds. There are a couple things I will add to his post.
1) My original post in February was a request for feedback to assess the business viability of filling the long outstanding orders, and was in no way a presumption that all we need to do is write a post about Group Buys and we’re off and running. We are not sanctioned by the forum. So let me state right now a “Thank You” to forum owner No_1 for his response. It is not yet time for a behind-the-forum discussion about whether Group Buys will even return. That is still months away and obviously we will abide by whatever terms are in place, whether orders are filled here or on a new and not-yet-established website.
2) The item we identified in our discussions as having the most potential for being a success right out of the starting gate will be to make a limited option offering on this one -“Rerun – Mihec 359 147/150 HiTek Heavy 9mm Competition bullet." Originally honcho’d by Wasalmonslayer 4 years ago. Its easy to find under “Active Group Buys” >> “GB Run by Wasalmonslayer”. Do not ask about “limited option” at this time, that will be elaborated on at the appropriate later date.
3) As Chris stated, "It will take several months to get things rolling". Without going into two pages of business related production details, to pull this off we need to coordinate the operation of 3 different types of CNC. We cannot fit a new product into the existing scheduled production at least until the end of summer, perhaps early autumn. I don’t even have a finished CAD drawing right now for the cutters, and the lead lead time for the custom made carbide cutting tools we will need is weeks, not hours or days. We need to work out the rest of those cutter geometry details with Chris in another behind-the-forum conversation. There are materials supply issues now that did not exist before covid.
I can’t think of any other information that is necessary for the forum members to have at this point that would help us make this happen any faster. So for now please be patient and just sit tight, and when something worthy of posting happens there will be an update.

mpkunz607
04-23-2023, 03:27 PM
I have about half the CAD work done now. That will not make scheduling the manufacture happen any sooner, but there is progress being made. FWIW.

Rickf1985
04-23-2023, 08:46 PM
I am more than a bit confused here. I had asked in the last go round if molds you make would be available for purchase right away without waiting a year for a group buy and I got no answer. Sorry, but as a lot of people on here will tell you I say it as I see it. Some people take offense to that but I am not trying to offend you. You are now saying that you are halfway through the process of making the Mihec 359 147/150 HiTek Heavy 9mm Competition bullet. This is the part that confuses me. Keep in mind that I never did the group buy thing so I am not familiar with all the mold makers. But isn't this mold made by Miha? And didn't Chris just visit him last month? And Chris is the one pushing this? So you are making someone elses molds while they are still in business? Maybe I have this all wrong but this whole thing is kind of fragmented in presentation. Maybe part of my skepticism is due to the fact that we, or at least I, have never heard you say what you do. Are you already an established business making molds? Are you an established machine shop? A little background would go a long way towards easing peoples questions. Think Expansion industries and their primer promises! I said the same thing about them and people told me I was wrong. The only thing coming out of that place now is overpriced ammo, most of it from other makers. The original owners folded and ran.

Lakehouse2012
04-24-2023, 12:59 PM
Hi Rick,

Let me clarify- I designed that mold originally. Miha cut molds off my design.

Technically, because I posted the design on a public forum with no intentions of intellectual property, it's open source.

The gentleman interested in making molds here in the USA is just starting the process which will take time to get going. No one has promised molds be immediately available.

I personally am trying to promote new makers in this area.

This isn't a group buy. He's just testing the water here on this forum for interest.

PS- I'm going back over to see Miha in a few weeks.

Chris

Rickf1985
04-24-2023, 09:42 PM
Thanks for clarifying the maker issue Chris. But still no word on the qualifications of this person. It is going to be hard to get people behind him without letting them know who he is and his background if he is going to be asking for their money. Been too many upstarts that "took the money and ran" deals lately. Am I skeptical? Yes, Very much so. Remember all the hype with Expansion Industries and their promise to make primers for the regular shooter and not supply the big companies? When that was reported I told the guy (Turkeys Opinion) that I did not believe it. For the very same reasons I have stated here. I even got a call from the guy running Expansion and I told him the same thing. Well, you see what happened there, those owners folded and sold out to the group that owns it now and all they have is overpriced ammo reboxed from other companies. I want to believe that there is someone else out there that will start supplying molds, I really do. But I also want it to be someone that will supply to the common guy at the range and not just the high end benchrest shooter. All the secrecy is pointing to just that or that he really does not have the resources to do this. I see Miha is now back in the game so that will change things I guess. Maybe I am the oddball but to me no mold is worth waiting years to get.

MiHec
04-25-2023, 05:18 AM
I will put in my 2 cents....
Mold maker is a way of life not business....

Last 2 years are testing my nerves to the moon and back.
-waiting times for materials (when I started this it was up to a week - now at least 3 months)
-waiting for cherry cutter up to a 2 months (Imagine that first try is not in specification...... another 2 months.....etc)
-No one is prepared to work any more
-My working week is 7 days (at least 10 hours per day)

I can continue, but I have work to do ;)

Teddy (punchie)
04-25-2023, 06:07 AM
Sounds like there are too many if's if this and if that. So until some of the if's are answered then you can get better group buys organized.

The if here is there a demand for group buys on this forum?

I'm interested but for me it would be for hollow points of some types.

Teddy (punchie)
04-25-2023, 06:12 AM

-waiting times for materials (when I started this it was up to a week - now at least 3 months)
-waiting for cherry cutter up to a 2 months (Imagine that first try is not in specification...... another 2 months.....etc)

Sad as it is the top people that carry the work place are the only ones that understands with out work hours and OT something just wouldn't get done, and no one would have a job.

Rickf1985
04-25-2023, 08:40 AM

I think this says it all, Coming from the very mold maker I have been talking about and quoting.

mpkunz607
04-25-2023, 08:41 AM
Rick, information regarding necessary business contacts and previous experience actually DO become available when an offer is presented for purchase of a market-ready product. Am I right ? How does one even order something without that information ? Until then, you personally have no need whatsoever for more information so early in what is my process, not your process.

I asked for the forum to sit tight and be patient. You’re going to need to accept that. I am not giving out more information at this point as it would open up the business phones and emails to possibly being bombarded by pointless inquiries which do nothing to make this happen any sooner. As Chris stated, my post was about "testing the waters". There is no way to know if there is sufficient market interest without asking. But of course once that question has been made public, which it was on February 23, the door opens up to exactly the kind of nonsense you are now fomenting. And of course from my perspective, I still see 1600+ views, and only 20 responses, and in those responses only 3 indications that this is worth pursuing.

And then there is you. Let me give you my take on the feedback I am getting. 1) There is not enough interest among the general forum population as they have not been responding. Indeed part of that might be that they look at the posts and are turned away by your posts. 2) I get the feeling that you personally would do anything you can to sabotage any effort to make this work because you are happy being miserable, and you’re angry that I will not give you information you want even though I will not benefit from from giving you. Your own posts demonstrate that you are impatient and when you want something you want it immediately. Your own posts show that you are unhappy that a man in eastern Europe who has made superb moulds in the past (I know as I own several) has been having difficulty making moulds because of covid and a nearby war shutting down his supply lines, neither of which the poor guy has any control over. Heck, I wonder how he is even making ends meet under those conditions. And your attitude that is on display here ? You’re 25% of the people supplying that feedback I received and you’re not even going to kill the goose that layed the golden egg, you’re going to kill the goose before it can lay its first golden egg.

You’re post airs grievances that have nothing to do with me or my business activities. I haven’t so much as cut a single chip yet. Would you please do me the courtesy of waiting until you have in your possession from me an unsatisfactory product, until you have contacted me about what is wrong with that product, and until you also have an unsatisfactory resolution before continuing in your campaign of negativity ? My business is successful. I do not need to take on this headache. I can just walk away, and people like you make it a very comfortable path.

Rickf1985
04-25-2023, 08:55 AM
So poor response is all my fault? These are grown men with their own minds and opinions. Strong ones at that. I am a nobody to them. I am not an influence on them. If you want to make this personal do so in a PM! I was only stating facts as I saw them. And this sir, "I get the feeling that you personally would do anything you can to sabotage any effort to make this work because you are happy being miserable" is a threat. I do not like to be threatened. I am NOT miserable. You came in here as a newbie with a powerful friend and this is how you can get away with treating people like this. Now I will most likely get an infraction due to this. Thank you very much. It is sad that others have not commented on the subject. I am done with it.

mpkunz607
04-25-2023, 09:51 AM
My response was not poor, Rick. It was appropriate since nobody had and have no need to know any more than what was posted. You had no need to post that at it entirely altered the intent and course of the thread. There was no need for you to respond with anything other than "yes, I'm interested" or just leave it alone entirely. The downward spiral this thread took is entirely on you. Oh, and BTW, you were never threatened, don’t try to spin yourself as a victim, its very unbecoming.

Thank you for being done with the topic.

MrWolf
04-25-2023, 09:59 AM
Rick, information regarding necessary business contacts and previous experience actually DO become available when an offer is presented for purchase of a market-ready product. Am I right ? How does one even order something without that information ? Until then, you personally have no need whatsoever for more information so early in what is my process, not your process.

I asked for the forum to sit tight and be patient. You’re going to need to accept that. I am not giving out more information at this point as it would open up the business phones and emails to possibly being bombarded by pointless inquiries which do nothing to make this happen any sooner. As Chris stated, my post was about "testing the waters". There is no way to know if there is sufficient market interest without asking. But of course once that question has been made public, which it was on February 23, the door opens up to exactly the kind of nonsense you are now fomenting. And of course from my perspective, I still see 1600+ views, and only 20 responses, and in those responses only 3 indications that this is worth pursuing.

And then there is you. Let me give you my take on the feedback I am getting. 1) There is not enough interest among the general forum population as they have not been responding. Indeed part of that might be that they look at the posts and are turned away by your posts. 2) I get the feeling that you personally would do anything you can to sabotage any effort to make this work because you are happy being miserable, and you’re angry that I will not give you information you want even though I will not benefit from from giving you. Your own posts demonstrate that you are impatient and when you want something you want it immediately. Your own posts show that you are unhappy that a man in eastern Europe who has made superb moulds in the past (I know as I own several) has been having difficulty making moulds because of covid and a nearby war shutting down his supply lines, neither of which the poor guy has any control over. Heck, I wonder how he is even making ends meet under those conditions. And your attitude that is on display here ? You’re 25% of the people supplying that feedback I received and you’re not even going to kill the goose that layed the golden egg, you’re going to kill the goose before it can lay its first golden egg.

You’re post airs grievances that have nothing to do with me or my business activities. I haven’t so much as cut a single chip yet. Would you please do me the courtesy of waiting until you have in your possession from me an unsatisfactory product, until you have contacted me about what is wrong with that product, and until you also have an unsatisfactory resolution before continuing in your campaign of negativity ? My business is successful. I do not need to take on this headache. I can just walk away, and people like you make it a very comfortable path.

In my opinion, your comments are an inappropriate response. You asked for opinions and feedback and got them. There is history with folks stating they would do such and such with folks here contributing and trying to help out and then got burned. He asked realistic questions and raised concerns. I did not see anything disrespectful in the responses nor did I see him state anything negative concerning Mihec. There are a few more vendors now who make moulds basically on demand which changed the whole group buy dynamics. It sounds like you may want to evaluate your business assumptions/aspirations with respect to the current mould making enterprise and your own tolerances. How you handle what you consider negative feedback says a lot.

mpkunz607
04-25-2023, 11:04 AM
Go back to the first post. I asked for information. Got two positives, yes, interested. Had a good interaction with Lakehouse2012. Met with Chris in a google meet. Waited weeks and from you I got "Be wary" and from Rick, I got demands for information he had no need for whatsoever that in no way would help me move forward and steered the entire thread topic off the original intent of the post. I'm actually glad this worked out this way, it gives me way more feedback about people purchasing custom moulds. Knowledge of the demographics is important information even when it enters the picture in a sideways and unexpected manner. I had not at all anticipated when I made my original post. Fortunately I had only my CAD time invested. You are correct, there is no need for me to get involved in making them.

SeabeeMan
04-25-2023, 01:03 PM
Been too many upstarts that "took the money and ran" deals lately.

Some of come through before folding, such as the HM2 molds from JTKnives on here years back. Others have just been an outright scam, like the 22LR swaging startup who took money from members to get going. XD4584 was his handle, I believe his name was Kyle Harper.

JimB..
04-25-2023, 03:55 PM
I’d be happy to see a new custom mold maker. I’m not unhappy with the current ones, but competition is generally good for the consumer.

That said, I’d never encourage someone to get into it as a business. The customer base is shrinking, and even if it wasn’t it seems that the average bullet caster is a cranky old guy that counts his pennies.

sukivel
04-25-2023, 06:21 PM
I’d be happy to see a new custom mold maker. I’m not unhappy with the current ones, but competition is generally good for the consumer.

That said, I’d never encourage someone to get into it as a business. The customer base is shrinking, and even if it wasn’t it seems that the average bullet caster is a cranky old guy that counts his pennies.

Lot of truth here…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minerat
04-25-2023, 06:45 PM
Keep it civil guys. Bickering will not help anyone and could get the discussion terminated.

Lakehouse2012
04-25-2023, 06:54 PM
Hi Steve, I think everyone was well intentioned, just how guys are with their hobbies.... :)

Minerat
04-25-2023, 07:36 PM
I agree Chris, just some times we need to take a couple of deep breathes before hitting reply.:cool:

hades
04-25-2023, 07:46 PM
Mpkunz, I'm one of the 1600 views and haven't said anything. I've probably contributed to more than a few of those 1600 views.

If you get some machines running to make molds, have some designs I feel like I need to have, and are reasonably priced, I'd be buying one from you at some point.

HATCH
04-25-2023, 07:46 PM
Only recently in the past couple weeks has ANY group buy molds on CB being shipped.
Some of the ones that just were shipped out had been complete and waiting for 18 months.
We will just have to see how everything else goes.

To be brutally honest, I am unsure if group buys will come back or not.

When I first joined CB, Lee was the go to on custom molds. They would make what we wanted. I still have a few of the group buy molds from Lee
Then it became more of a hassle for Lee and not profitable so they stopped.
I believe we had a couple other companies make some then somehow we settled on Mihec molds.
Don't get me wrong, Mihec molds are a work of art.
But with the way supply and demand has been going it isn't cost effective to make custom molds when the standard molds are being sold faster then they can be built.

JimB..
04-25-2023, 08:02 PM
To the OP, I tend to agree with your assessment of the feedback thus far, but it’s always really hard to get feedback about a business idea. IMHO you’d get more feedback with a better thread title, something like “a new custom mould maker” or “what should be the first mould design I manufacture.” I also think it’s better to ask for feedback about the state of the existing market, eg what do you want that you can’t get, can’t get timely, can’t get at a reasonable pricepoint, etc.

You undoubtedly need to make and sell a good high demand mould first to prove that you can make a good product, but then you could PM or email the folks on the frozen group buy lists.

Last thought, for launching your business think about the influencers. Who on here do people listen to about the quality of molds? Maybe it’s the former honchos, maybe collectors, maybe folks with high post counts. Talk to them, figure out what they’d like to see, make something they want and are willing to work with you to develop.

Really last thought, there is demand for a mold for lead hammers. There was a group buy many years ago. It’s not a bullet mould, but it should be a pretty easy project and may not require any new machines. I really want one that casts a head that slips onto a tapered handle like a froe or an adze, but the non-woodworkers may want one that cast directly onto a turned aluminum handle. Sign me up for your first one if you go this route!

Another member recently posted a lament that there isn’t a mould available to cast pure lead slugs for slugging barrels. The idea was a mold with several different sizes of holes the end of which are slightly tapered. Folks suggested other ways to make slugs, but that doesn’t mean they wouldn’t buy a mold.

Good luck with your decision, and have fun with it because it won’t make you rich!

Dimner
05-17-2023, 01:57 PM
Seems like quite a few people with all the negativity have no clue how a new business is started. I guess ignorance is bliss. Just by the fact the the OP is taking the appropriate steps to put together a plan and assessments gives me confidence in their ability to see this through.

But to the topic at hand. I would be very interested in a new mold maker and the initial mold being considered. I would buy 2 actually and a friend of mine who is not a member here would also buy one. (or I would buy 3).

Dimner
05-17-2023, 02:09 PM
I should also add... that there may be a market that exists that is not being addressed by any mold maker.

That is creation of custom/user designed molds for 7mm and under. I know for sure I would have already made and purchased two 7mm designs if that kind of service were available. I can see 6mm and 6.5mm user designed molds being very popular.

TD1886
05-17-2023, 02:22 PM
Only recently in the past couple weeks has ANY group buy molds on CB being shipped.
Some of the ones that just were shipped out had been complete and waiting for 18 months.
We will just have to see how everything else goes.

To be brutally honest, I am unsure if group buys will come back or not.

When I first joined CB, Lee was the go to on custom molds. They would make what we wanted. I still have a few of the group buy molds from Lee
Then it became more of a hassle for Lee and not profitable so they stopped.
I believe we had a couple other companies make some then somehow we settled on Mihec molds.
Don't get me wrong, Mihec molds are a work of art.
But with the way supply and demand has been going it isn't cost effective to make custom molds when the standard molds are being sold faster then they can be built.

I love Mihec moulds. With that said the biggest problem I see with him is he won't (that I know of) make one off moulds like Accurate does. I don't have any problems with shipments from him, in fact get moulds faster from him then if the company was in the States. Only thing bad I have to say about Accurate is that all his bullet designs have to have that .180 mepat. That ruins a lot of designs, but helps some.

mpkunz607
05-20-2023, 10:05 AM
In defense of Accurate, and I would not know them from Adam & Eve, in all likelihood the reason that his stock bullet designs all have the same meplat is probably because he has only a handful of cherry designs, or maybe even just one, to make all of his bullet profiles. LEE at one time did "custom" molds but even their so-called custom work was clearly from LEE as most bullets had similar geometries.

So I just looked at the Accurate page of bullet profiles and I can tell you that actually appears to be the case. The different calibers and weights come from the magic of adjusting the gcode to get what you want in the cut. Which means its very likely that they have made a business decision to stick with that cherry geometry because adding others or changing the existing design would affect other aspects of their business model. Just a guess.

TD1886
05-21-2023, 03:19 PM
In defense of Accurate, and I would not know them from Adam & Eve, in all likelihood the reason that his stock bullet designs all have the same meplat is probably because he has only a handful of cherry designs, or maybe even just one, to make all of his bullet profiles. LEE at one time did "custom" molds but even their so-called custom work was clearly from LEE as most bullets had similar geometries.

So I just looked at the Accurate page of bullet profiles and I can tell you that actually appears to be the case. The different calibers and weights come from the magic of adjusting the gcode to get what you want in the cut. Which means its very likely that they have made a business decision to stick with that cherry geometry because adding others or changing the existing design would affect other aspects of their business model. Just a guess.

If I'm not mistaken I believe that Accurate lathe cuts his moulds. We asked him one time why he didn't do a smaller meplat or even a more pointed bullet and he reply was because of tool bit chatter.

mdntranger50
05-31-2023, 08:02 AM
following with interest

+1!

bigboredad
08-11-2023, 11:30 PM
If I'm not mistaken I believe that Accurate lathe cuts his moulds. We asked him one time why he didn't do a smaller meplat or even a more pointed bullet and he reply was because of tool bit chatter.Yes you are mistaken he uses a CNC machine. It's been a long time since I asked about why he couldn't do a round nose. .18 really isn't that bad

Sent from my 9048S using Tapatalk

Valley-Shooter
08-12-2023, 07:43 PM
Getting another company into the group buy group would be great. I understand the difficulties in the CNC machine shop process. Getting a proven design into the process can take awhile and you need the right people to do it.

I've wanting another 147 grain 9mm mould for awhile, but it needs to be 8 cavity.

TD1886
08-12-2023, 08:11 PM
Yes you are mistaken he uses a CNC machine. It's been a long time since I asked about why he couldn't do a round nose. .18 really isn't that bad

Sent from my 9048S using Tapatalk

I think that it is you that is mistaken. This is what it says on his site: "Accurate Molds offers CNC lathe bored bullet molds in aluminum, brass, and iron. Choose from our extensive catalog of existing designs, or submit a custom design of your own." It's a lathe that is CNC controlled so I'm right saying he cuts his moulds on a lathe.

Gamsek
08-13-2023, 02:43 PM
Getting another company into the group buy group would be great. I understand the difficulties in the CNC machine shop process. Getting a proven design into the process can take awhile and you need the right people to do it.

I've wanting another 147 grain 9mm mould for awhile, but it needs to be 8 cavity.

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-359-147-bb/

Like this?

rsterne
08-13-2023, 03:17 PM
Tom at Accurate has told me that if the calibre (or base, in the case of boattails) is too small, or the Meplat is too small, the tools cannot be made rigid enough or strong enough to provide good cavities on his CNC Lathe....

Bob

Valley-Shooter
08-13-2023, 10:56 PM
https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-359-147-bb/

Like this?

No. I already own that one. I'm thinking about a NLG. MP has those also, but the shipping is really high.

Woodtroll
08-14-2023, 08:32 PM
No. I already own that one. I'm thinking about a NLG. MP has those also, but the shipping is really high.

The shipping for MP moulds is a deal-breaker for me. I can buy similar American-made moulds from NOE or Accurate for the same price, but then again I don't want all the fancy hollow-point pins and such that MP offers. He does seem to have a corner on the market for some unique designs.

TD1886
08-15-2023, 08:59 PM
The shipping for MP moulds is a deal-breaker for me. I can buy similar American-made moulds from NOE or Accurate for the same price, but then again I don't want all the fancy hollow-point pins and such that MP offers. He does seem to have a corner on the market for some unique designs.

Been a little while since I ordered a MP mould, but last time I think it was around $12 which I though very reasonable considering where it came from. I also got them faster then any company in the U.S.
No I don't work for him. I just think he's a subperb machinist and I like the moulds I bought from him. The bullets from them were easy to get shooting very well.

Woodtroll
08-16-2023, 07:54 PM
Been a little while since I ordered a MP mould, but last time I think it was around $12 which I though very reasonable considering where it came from. I also got them faster then any company in the U.S.
No I don't work for him. I just think he's a subperb machinist and I like the moulds I bought from him. The bullets from them were easy to get shooting very well.

Yep, time has changed things. Cheapest shipping on a four-cavity mould I had in my cart was well over $30 ($32 or $35, I don't remember which).

But most folks do agree that his moulds are a work of art, although there are a couple of folks on here who've had bad experiences, same as with any manufacturer.

mpkunz607
08-20-2023, 11:09 AM
A short update. Had an ablation for a-fib, so a little setback recently. Back on track now. Poured concrete, have a pre-made building ordered, so end of summer being the earlies is not going to happen, but we are probably on track for the end of the year or early 2024.

StrawHat
09-28-2023, 08:52 PM
Always nice to have options. I will keep this thread marked.

Kevin