PDA

View Full Version : Lipseys Exclusive Ruger

Uncle Grinch
02-22-2023, 10:26 AM
A couple of weeks ago I picked up a nice GP100 revolver in 44 Spl. Looks like a nice strong gun. Having a hard time finding a holster due to its 5 inch barrel. Only found one manufacturer but don’t really care for their design. Andrews Leather can make one, but they have a 5 month wait. May have to go with a 6 inch, but that’s not my first choice. Any suggestions out there?

contender1
02-22-2023, 10:51 AM
Well, first off have you checked to see what holsters Ruger has to offer? In their sportswear & accessories section you may find a holster.

Other than that,, I custom would be my direction.
I have found that top quality requires a wait. I use Mike "Doc" Barranti of "Barranti Leather. Absolutely the best leather work I've ever seen. But he has two options. He has a "store" that may or may not have what you seek. If not,, expect a wait to get one built.
Next,, I'd look at Simply Rugged" leather. Rob is a good guy to do business with.

TomAM
02-22-2023, 11:06 AM
I have many 5 inchers, it's my favorite barrel length.

I carry them in Bianchi leather. Bianchi uses lock stitches and you can just cut the bottom inch off of a 6" holster without compromising the stitch work. They have lasted for decades.

I do the same thing with modern plastic holsters. A very simple solution.

Wheelguns 1961
02-22-2023, 11:09 AM
I have a simply rugged holster for my 5” gp100. They make great holsters.

groundpounder
02-22-2023, 01:05 PM
Simply rugged works with all my large frame double action revolvers, Redhawks and N frames. Have fun with your new shooting iron.

megasupermagnum
02-22-2023, 01:13 PM
I haven't seen a manufacturer that didn't have a 5" option.:confused:

A.E.Nelson #392 is my first choice out of the three holsters I have for my 5" gp100's.

stubshaft
02-22-2023, 02:54 PM
I've got the Simply Rugged holster for my Lipsey Bisley and it fits perfectly.

Bazoo
02-22-2023, 06:36 PM
I am carrying my 4-3/4” Blackhawk in a simply rugged sourdough pancake holster as we speak.

Uncle Grinch
02-22-2023, 07:57 PM
Been taking a closer look at Simply Rugged holsters. Kinda like the Pancake version, but how is the inside finished. My gun is blued and it doesn’t appear that Simply Rugged holsters are lined.

megasupermagnum
02-22-2023, 08:10 PM
Been taking a closer look at Simply Rugged holsters. Kinda like the Pancake version, but how is the inside finished. My gun is blued and it doesn’t appear that Simply Rugged holsters are lined.

They are not lined. If you are left handed, I'll give you a deal on a Simply Rugged left hand pancake holster for a GP100 5" with hammer strap.

Uncle Grinch
02-22-2023, 11:56 PM
They are not lined. If you are left handed, I'll give you a deal on a Simply Rugged left hand pancake holster for a GP100 5" with hammer strap.

Sorry.. right handed

Bazoo
02-23-2023, 12:10 AM
Not lined, but they are formed tight. That helps the finish more than being lined, in my opinion. Fact is, if you carry a gun with any regularity, it will get some finish wear. I've been carrying my blackhawk 44 special for 2 years, in the SimplyRugged Hoslter, and it has some wear at the muzzle, and on the ejector rod housing. And a little at the high points on the cylinder.

Cosmic_Charlie
02-23-2023, 03:17 AM
Try Busted B Leather on Etsy. Good Texas company and top quality. Maybe a month wait or so.

Uncle Grinch
02-23-2023, 08:45 AM
Will do… Thanks

charlie b
02-23-2023, 11:37 AM
I always made my own. Never lined as I did not see the need for it. I did finish the inside including a good paste wax and 'boned' fit.

Simply Rugged are my fall back if I am too lazy to make one.

I did have a Milt Sparks for my 1911. When the wife's Commander came home I cut the end off like mentioned above. I was careful to undo the stitching and tied it off in the normal fashion. Served me for another decade.

tward
02-23-2023, 02:50 PM
I’ve had good luck with Mernickle holsters. Nice form fitted leather with an option of R or L hand or cross draw. Love the 44 Special! Just pricey to shoot if you don’t reload. Have fun, Tim