PDA

View Full Version : Old Zero bullets

Rickf1985
02-20-2023, 04:03 PM
I came across some old (as in probably 60 + years old) Zero 38 cal. cast lead bullets from my dads old reloading stuff still in the box. Marked on the box, 148 Gr. (swaged) WCHB 38 Caliber. I called Zero to see if I could get any info on these since the coating on them is a bit strange and I was told they used to use a graphite coating many years ago. Anyone know anything about these and would YOU use them in your guns? Zero has actually offered to exchange them with modern bullets at no charge if I want. Sorry for the poor pic quality but it is tough getting good pics of a very dull bullet!

HWooldridge
02-20-2023, 04:18 PM
The old Speer swaged lead bullets are dark - and I have some .45 225gr slugs made by Alberts that are almost black. I suspect they used graphite or a similar dark lube that could be used dry.

Larry Gibson
02-20-2023, 04:20 PM
Shot lots of those back in my PPC days. Classic load for 38 SPL used was 2.7 gr Bullseye with the bullet seated flush. They did have a graphite based lune on them. I would probably give them a very light coat of LLA and load them over the same 2.7 gr Bullseye. They were very good shooting bullets.

Rickf1985
02-20-2023, 04:38 PM
Thats what I wanted to hear, I have a bottle of the LLA that I have never used. Guess this is a good place to start. But will the LLA stick to the graphite? If it doesn't then I doubt I will have any leading issues. I was actually planning on shooting these out of my 357 magnum.

Winger Ed.
02-20-2023, 05:11 PM
I'd load them and shoot some of 'em in .38Spec. just like they are.
Graphite shouldn't be an issue like old wax lube does.
If you get some Leading, then relube them.

TNsailorman
02-20-2023, 05:15 PM
Back in the late 60's? I bought about 500 of these bullets and loaded them in my first Model 15 S&W. Made for very accurate .38 Special loads and as already stated they seem to do best when loaded flush with the case mouth and taper crimped--lightly. I used 2.5 grains of Bullseye powder in my loads as I just used them for practice. I even loaded a few with the hollow base reversed to make a super hollow point. I never shot them at anything but short distances, but they were fairly accurate at 25 feet and under. They did tend to lead a little but I don't think that was as much a fault of the bullet as it was of the wrong diameter. I never slugged the bore of that pistol, not being lead "litterate" at the time. Try them and I think you will like them. my experience anyway, james

45DUDE
02-20-2023, 05:38 PM
I have some OLD Star that look like that other than the lube. Those are some of the best target boolits you can shoot in a 52 S&W. If a little dry you could heat the boolits and lightly alox and let dry. If a little dirty I would clean with hot soapy water and relube.

rintinglen
02-24-2023, 01:41 PM
Shot lots of those back in my PPC days. Classic load for 38 SPL used was 2.7 gr Bullseye with the bullet seated flush. They did have a graphite based lune on them. I would probably give them a very light coat of LLA and load them over the same 2.7 gr Bullseye. They were very good shooting bullets.

Me, too!! I used a lot of these and similar Speer bullets, because they were cheaper than Remington's. I still have a couple of boxes of Speer HBWC's downstairs some place.