PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for replacement diffuser screens for a Chrony

quack1
02-19-2023, 10:05 PM
My 20+ year old Chrony screens have finally bit the dust. The age and sun weakened plastic has broken so many times the clear packing tape I covered them with doesn't even hold them together anymore. I don't use them if it's cloudy, but they are needed when it's clear and sunny. I figure I'm not the only one this happened to, so what have you inventive guys used for replacements? I thought about it for the last week or so and have drawn a complete blank.
I looked in the local hobby/craft store and hardware store, nothing I saw would be suitable.

pworley1
02-19-2023, 10:13 PM
I cut 4inch wide strips of corrugated plastic sign board. They worked better than the original ones.

quack1
02-20-2023, 08:49 AM
I hadn't considered using something solid, figured the material had to be translucent, like the originals.
Thank you, that makes my search a lot easier.

n9tkf
02-20-2023, 09:10 AM
I turned my Caldwell upside down on a board using the wire rods. Mounted the board and chronograph on a tripod and placed free harbor freight lights pointing up toward the chronograph. Works good for my purpose.

metricmonkeywrench
02-20-2023, 09:27 AM
Mama’s used up and discarded thin Opaque cutting boards worked for me on my Chrony.

Ford SD
02-20-2023, 11:11 AM
white cardboard over the top works good on real sunny days
the plastic sign stuff works as well if you make it oversize you might have to worry about it on windy days

you can also turn it side ways .... I have done this when shooting prone ( all you need is white cardboard to the side ...it does not even have to be close)
upside down will work as well

Snakeoil
02-20-2023, 11:26 AM
All good suggestions. The chrono only needs a light/white background against which the bullet will stand out. You could pretty much use anything and just paint it white.

pertnear
02-20-2023, 11:54 AM
If you're lazy (like me), you can buy them at Midwayusa (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015085365?pid=128143).

Hick
02-20-2023, 07:12 PM
I bought a white plastic storage tub lid at Walmart and cut the screens from that. One lid replaces screens a couple of times.