PDA

View Full Version : Powder Throw

rfp357
02-19-2023, 06:33 PM
I use a Lee powder throw that I've had for 15 years and it was used when I got it back then. It also leaks like a sieve no matter how I adjust it. Earlier today I loaded up 35 rounds of .44 mag with H110 and realized there was what seemed to be a lot of powder that leaked out onto the base so I decided to see exactly how much powder there was. Turns out it leaked 8 grains of powder over the course of said 35 rounds.

Is this normal? I'd like to think there is a better, higher quality powder throw that doesn't leak as much if at all. I mean rumor has it we landed multiple men on the moon so we must be able to manufacture a mechanical powder throw that doesn't leak. Are my expectations too high?

As a background: I also use 2400, Win231, Clays, Universal, Accurate Nos 2 and 5. These leak also but I never took the time to measure how much. Up until recently I reloaded primarily .38, .357, and .45 just to have something to shoot. No competitions, not running things through a chronograph, just for fun. I started reloading for the .44 mag recently since the God forsaken state of Illinois changed the gun regs for deer hunting so now I use a .44 lever gun and have found an interest in reloading for precision and learning the general ballistics of things. I will eventually start reloading for my rifles like 7.62, .308, 30-06, and .223.

What powder throw do you use and what do you like about it?
Do you use more than one throw and why?
Electronic or manual?
Is there one throw that works well with rifle and pistol powders?
What throws should I stay away from?
Am I doing something wrong with the throw I have?

The first thing you might ask is "What's your budget?" I'm not sure how to answer that since I'm willing to pay a little extra for quality. Not sure I really want to go electronic but would be interested in that feedback as well. I'm most concerned with minimizing or eliminating powder leakage and not accuracy. Help a brother out.

Thanks

Shawlerbrook
02-19-2023, 06:53 PM
I use the Redding’s the most, but the Lyman 55 is very versatile. Some like the Lee, but it is not made as well as the Redding or Lyman.

Winger Ed.
02-19-2023, 06:59 PM
Any of the high end name brand ones will do fine.
I like my Hornady. It has rotator drums to single throw either pistol or rifle size charges.

Polymath
02-19-2023, 07:01 PM
I only use my Lee measure for stick powders now. It always would bind up on flake and ball. It sounds like you are missing a washer. Download the parts list and check if that is the case.
I recently acquired a RCBS uniflow measure and it handles everything. I use the Lee dick system for my pistol loading as I find it very accurate for that. Most of my rifles I hand throw and verify on a digital scale anyway.

pworley1
02-19-2023, 07:23 PM
I have Lee, RCBS, Lyman, Herters, Lachmiller, Hornady and Redding. I use the Redding and RCBS most.

Mk42gunner
02-19-2023, 07:32 PM
The two I have the most experience with are a Lyman 55 and an RCBS Uniflow with the large drum.

The Lyman works with just about everything, from minute charges of Bullseye to large rifle charges. It also has a neat little knocker to help prevent powder bridging. I like it.

The Uniflow works From large rifle charges down to about 4.4ish grains of W231 (The primary reason I bought a Lyman 55). I like it too.

However, I usually don't mess with fiddling around setting a measure unless I am planning to load more than fifty rounds at one time. I find I can dip, weigh, and adjust quick enough that it takes at least fifty rounds to make setting them worth the effort.

Robert

country gent
02-19-2023, 07:32 PM
I have a few powder measures I use.
Redding br 30. this is a good measure for medium to lighter charges. Dosnt leak accurate and easy to set.
Lyman 55 wider range handles stick powders good. Mine is the older 3 slide drum and is also set up for black powder
2 harrrels a small and a standard. These are very accurate and easy to set, They are a copy of the old culiver conversion on lyman 55s.
My RCBS electronic is a early version the on with the IR to the scales. I find it very accurate but slow unless I precharge the pan with a charge 5 grn light.
I had one of the amts auto scales it was about as accurate as the redding but slow and seemed fussy as to conditions...

If you arnt in a hurry the there is also the belding and mull, very accurate and a wide range . But it is 2 hand operation.

You dont say which Lee measure you have now. But there are fixes for the rotary styles. H110 and 296 are very fine ball powders that are prone to leaking in worn or poorly fitted measures.

PM me and well discuss you measure and see if it can possibly be fixed

15meter
02-19-2023, 08:11 PM
I've used most of the common powder measures over the years. Lyman 55, RCBS Uniflow, Hollywood, Belding and Mull. The last two are long obsolete and there is a certain collector/nostalgia group out there that use them.

None of those ever leaked powder. Currently use two Redding's. 3-BR for either the whomper loads, 450 N.E. full house loads with the rifle chamber or 380/200 Webley loads with the pistol chamber. I use the 30-BR for all the mid-range loads, 204 Ruger 220 Swift, 318 Westley Richards kind of 20-50 grain loads. Big stick powder in those can be a little crunchy as you cut kernels of powder, but rarely are they off more that a tenth of a grain of powder.

I still keep a full set of Lee scoops for the low volume experimental loads. Loading up 4-5 test loads of a specific caliber is way easier with scoops that trying to fiddle in a powder measure to drop the proper charge.

Actually have both a Lyman 55 and a virtually unused Uniflow that I don't ever expect to use. The Redding's just do such a good job.

Sam Sackett
02-19-2023, 10:47 PM
I use the Redding #3’s. (I have 3 of them). They have never leaked. If I am loading pistol rounds on the progressive, I use the Lee Pro Disc measures. The newer style has a wiper disc and does not leak.

Sam Sackett

Big Wes
02-20-2023, 08:51 AM
I use a couple of Harrell's. for developing loads when I use my single stage Mec Marksman 310734 Bulk loading is done on my Dillons.

n9tkf
02-20-2023, 09:03 AM
Any of the high end name brand ones will do fine.
I like my Hornady. It has rotator drums to single throw either pistol or rifle size charges.I second the Hornady with interchangeable rotary drums. Never had any issues.

ascast
02-20-2023, 09:21 AM
Belding & Mull will never leak. I also use a RCBS and what ever is on the progressive.

Sasquatch-1
02-20-2023, 09:27 AM
I have a RCBS Uniflow I have had for 45+ years. I use Titegroup, Unique, w296/H110 and 2400. It has never been off more than .01 grains either way with any of these.

Also, if it is leaking like you say, I would hold suspect any ammo loaded with fast powder.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-20-2023, 09:37 AM
Once I figured out why my Lee Pro Auto-disk powder measure would 'spill' a bit of powder...then fixed that issue...making it a pleasure to use, I haven't had a problem ever since.

robg
02-20-2023, 09:54 AM
i used a lyman 55 but ialso like and use lee ppm ,i find the lee works better than the lyman with bulky powders.

jaguarxk120
02-20-2023, 10:58 AM
Put the plastic stuff into the recycle bin, don't look back!

Get a Redding No.3 or a RCBS Uniflo or a Lyman 55.

Did you ever notice on the forums there are very,very few gripes about those three.

John Guedry
02-20-2023, 10:58 AM
I'm one of the folks with a Lyman 55 and a Redding. Like 'em both, neither leaks.

Snakeoil
02-20-2023, 11:24 AM
I have Redding and RCBS Uniflow measures. I've recently added a micrometer adjustment to the Uniflow. Both brands drop 2400 with perfect accuracy and consistency once you get the powder column stablized. I also use a baffle in the powder tube that I make myself. These make a huge difference in consistency.

A powder measure that leaks is a paperweight IMHO.

beemer
02-20-2023, 12:00 PM
My Lee Perfect leaked AA#9 like a sieve. I lapped the cone with valve lapping compound, it helped but it is still not a Perfect Lee.

I found an older Lyman 55 a couple weeks ago, dirty and missing the lid but otherwise in good shape. Mostly just need some TLC. Think I really like it.

scattershot
02-20-2023, 12:13 PM
The measure on my Dillon is accurate and doesn’t leak. I also have a Lyman 55 that doesn’t, either. Sounds like you might want to consider a new measure.

super6
02-20-2023, 12:26 PM
I am one of the nostalgic people, I have a hollywood with micrometer adjust It throws every thing I put in it to a tenth. And don't leak! Little tricky to adjust thou.

Green Frog
02-20-2023, 12:37 PM
I seem to collect powder measures, and I stopped counting at over two dozen. When loading the same, well established load, I frequently use one of my several fixed cavity rotary measures like the Little Dandy or a particular favorite, the old Pacific Pistol Measure. For precise powder measurement for cast bullet bench rest I like my Belding & Mull with a Starrett micrometer head upgrade to the drop tube. I also like my old Ideal #5 Micrometer measure, especially for stick powders like IMR 4759.

If I lost all my current measures and had to buy one for all measuring of various powders, it would probably be a small cavity Harrell, which is touted by many as the very best powder measure that is currently available. I have individual measures that are each good for a specific task, but IMHO, Harrell makes the best all around measure. They aren’t cheap, but you get what you pay for and they definitely provide good value for their purchase price.

Froggie

Bazoo
02-20-2023, 01:02 PM
I use a lee perfect powder measure. It leaked fiercely until I lapped it. Now it leaks less but still does a bit. I have found that it now doesn’t actually leak from the drum, but on the rotor where the wiper is, there is a lip. And a few tenths grain of powder will catch there. So you throw and it’s consistent then when you stop and bump the table those kernels fall out. It isn’t the wiper that catches but the lip of the chamber itself. I relieved mine with a razor knife, and then also opened up the drop tube at the top to be funnel shaped to compensate. I would like a better measure but this one does work well and with my tweaks, never offers any problems.

nicholst55
02-20-2023, 01:29 PM
I have several different powder measures, and none of them leak. I have (too many) Lyman 55s, an RCBS Uniflow with both drums, and a Redding #3BR with both drums. And some Dillons. If I had room to mount them all, I'd probably never have to adjust another powder measure! Well, not very often, anyway.

rfp357
02-20-2023, 09:24 PM
No lack of great responses, thanks guys. I'm leaning toward Redding or RCBS Uniflow PM III. Although a Harrell's would look nice on the bench, I'll hold off on that.

Are used units worth it? Jeff Bezos will sell me a brand new RCBS PM III around $100.

rfp357
02-20-2023, 09:32 PM
I have a RCBS Uniflow I have had for 45+ years. I use Titegroup, Unique, w296/H110 and 2400. It has never been off more than .01 grains either way with any of these.

Also, if it is leaking like you say, I would hold suspect any ammo loaded with fast powder.

Sasquatch-1 yes I agree. I lost a digit from an explosive detonation (not related to reloading or the shooting sports) so I either measure every charge, under throw and trickle up on the scale, or sample one random case from each row of five charged cases. Then I do a visual of all cases to triple check for a double charge. I'm teaching my 8 year old son the art and purposely double charged one case out of the 50 I was reloading and innocently asked him to do a visual for me. He found the suspect case, dumped it, and recharged it perfectly. Hopefully a new reloader will read this and take heed.

Winger Ed.
02-20-2023, 10:34 PM
Are used units worth it? Jeff Bezos will sell me a brand new RCBS PM III around $100.

At one time I had a gallon can full of spent primers under the bench.
The cases they came out of all got re loaded using the same powder dropper. I Keep it clean, and it's still on the job.

They're like a hammer...... pretty hard to get them sloppy and wear one out.

doulos
02-20-2023, 10:49 PM
The Uniflow 3 is a good measure for me so far. I wasnt sure about the fact it has only one size metering drum. But it really shined when I tested it with fine powders like H110. I threw 18 charges of 19.2 grains in a row before one was off at 19.1. I was impressed. It does not leak at all. Ive never had a RCBS Uniflow leak fine powders. It was also comparable to my other Uniflows for extruded and flake powders. I have my other one set up for very small charges with a small metering drum. I did return a RCBS Uniflow competition version once. It was the most inaccurate RCBS measure Ive ever tried. I dont think you can go wrong with a RCBS Uniflow or a Redding 3. I have a Lyman 55 that binds terribly with fine ball powders like H110. But its a champ with extruded rifle powders. But any measure worth its salt shouldnt leak or bind with fine powders.

pcmacd
02-20-2023, 11:25 PM
I use the Redding’s the most, but the Lyman 55 is very versatile. Some like the Lee, but it is not made as well as the Redding or Lyman.

There was a study in Precision Shooting years ago that showed the LEE measure to be perhaps 2x more precise than the most expensive powder measures they could find, including the Jones and Harrell units!

upr45
02-25-2023, 09:54 AM
I have a Lee and it has never leaked. i use it for rifle charges so i d no use for fine powders. i do use a Dillon 550b for all pistol loading, which does not leak. I have occasional static charge issues with powder clinging to plastic hoppers. That is easily cured by wiping down with a used dryer static sheet. Last 1# of H110 i opened was really clinging to everything -- it took a few sheets to make that powder user friendly.

jetinteriorguy
02-25-2023, 10:35 AM
I have the newer ‘Improved’ Perfect Powder Measure and it’s a very good measure. I work up loads using the brass drum it comes with, then set one of the plastic drums for that load and done. No leakage, very accurate and easy peasy to use. For pistols I use the Pro Disc Measure and after first working up the load on the Improved PPM I then use a tapered reamer to custom ream a proper cavity in a disc and mark it accordingly.