PDA

View Full Version : Handgun for backpacking/camping

Angus
02-05-2009, 09:39 PM
I am moving to eastern Tennessee in June from New York. I am planning on getting my permit as soon as I get to TN, and want to get my first handgun as a packing gun for defense against various critters when camping and fly fishing the streams in Cherokee National Forest. I am o the fence about what to look at seriously, here is what I have come up with.

Rock Island 1911 in 38 Super. Theoretically capable of duplicating the 357 but in a 1911 platform, which I think is the sexiest handgun on planet Earth.

Tanfoglio Witness in 10mm. The 10mm actually duplicated the 357 in an auto. The ability to use a high capacity magazine in this platform has some benefit too, although I honestly don't know how much.

Taurus Tracker 4" in 357 Magnum. Stainless revolver, bulletproof from what reviews I have read, what's not to like?

Rossi 357 4" in 357. A bit cheaper than the Taurus, no porting, spotty reviews on older models, but recent production seems to have ironed out the bugs (from what I have read).

Ruger Security Six 4". It looks like a cute revolver, and everything I have reads says they are great. It will be used however, I don't know if that outweighs the lower price versus Taurus/Rossi.

Taurus Tracker 4" in 44 Magnum. It's the biggest handgun caliber I would ever think about buying, I'm wondering if I should just skip the nancy rounds and go for the gusto.

I handload, so ammo availability is of little importance. I am planning on using hardcast lead slugs in whatever I end up buying.

McKee Boykin
02-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Go with any .41 Magnum and you can't go wrong!

MT Gianni
02-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Forget sexy and looks. Of those listed I would go with the Ruger. You will not have to hunt for cases, no porting a + in my book, and the others want to be like a 357. Taurus/Rossi are OK with a good one and a pain with a fair one. Go to a range that lets you shoot some first and buy what fits your hand. Any other year I would start with a 22 lr and shoot a couple of bricks through it until you are reasonably sure of hitting what you aim at. With the current scare/trend/call it what you will of fast moving guns and higher prices get the 35, practice with 38 specials until you are doing good and work to medium loads then full power ones. This is only applicable to a caster since factory fodder is pricey and hard to find. Good luck with it. Gianni

missionary5155
02-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Good evening
Last time up NORTH I bought a Taurus Tracker Titanium in 41 mag. That is the nicest woods / kayak whatever packing revolver I have ever handled. Light weight and handles recoil nicely with the ported barrel and soft ribbed grips. I generally carried it with 240 gr Cast at about 1000 fps. I also fired it off and on with the same 240 Cast at 1250 Fps which was not terrible.
So I would say a 44 Mag with a 240 grain at 1000fps would be no different and capable of handling ANY preditor east of the Mississippi.
Personally if I was going to spent the money on a Tracker for woods protection I would not get anything that did not start with a 4. You would be hard pressed to beat 5 rounds of 44 or 41 mag and NO 357 in any pachage is going to do it.
Mike God Bless you.

jhrosier
02-05-2009, 10:32 PM
The .357 Mag in a 4" revolver is probably one of the most versatile handguns that you will ever own.
The Ruger Security-Six revolver is probably the toughest and most reliable revolver in .357 Mag.
I have three of them in ss, 2-3/4",4", and 6". The 2-3/4" has been my favorite for thirty years, but the 4" is just starting to grow on me.
I carry 180gr TCs over a full charge of 296 or H110 for protection.

Jack

Houndog
02-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Well,
I live in East Tennessee and my recomendation for an all around carry gun is a little different than some of the above posters. I carry a 4 inch model 19 Smith most of the time, and it's usually loaded with 38's. Any good small or medium framed 357 will serve you well. The biggest wild animal you will see in the Cherokee National forest is a Black Bear, and most of the time they run at the first sight of a person. You are about 200 miles too far East to see a wild Hog, and if they were present I'd recomend something with a BUNCH more punch!. The biggest threat you will encounter is a Feral Dog ( if you can call them a threat), an occasional Raccoon, Skunk or a Snake. As far as the 2 legged critters, we have VERY little trouble with gangs and the like and your biggest "problem" will be somebody walking up and starting a conversation. People around here tend to be friendly and like to talk. The best advice I can give ANY transplanted Yankee is to remember we don't care how they do it "up North'! Just sit back and relax. Learn to enjoy life in a REAL slow lane compaired to New York without most of their headaches.BTW: East Tennessee made the list of the 10 best places to live in the USA, and we have NO state income tax or personal property taxes.

2TN Mules
02-05-2009, 11:25 PM
I do a tremendous amount of camping and trailriding in the backwoods of TN. My personal favorite gun is a Hi-Point 45JHP. It has all the oomph I have ever needed fro anything I've encountered. It is big and ugly as a wheelbarrow full of buttholes but it has given me great service for a 150.00 investment.

I know, I know, alot of people swear at Hi-Points but most of the people that swear at them have never owned one. Let the flaming begin. It is what has gotten me started in casting and reloading.

Mine is a great gun, tough, rugged, inexpensive, and comes with a real lifetime no questions asked warranty, and american made.

To each his own. Get what suits you the best because when all is said and done your the only one that has to be happy with your gun. :Fire:

mooman76
02-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Get one of each!

BruceB
02-05-2009, 11:41 PM
For most of my life, I lived and worked in country which mandated the BIG revolver...in my case the heavy-loaded .44 Magnum in Ruger or S&W flavors.

Obviously this is severe overkill on small game and birds. I tried solving this mis-match for a while by carryng TWO revolvers, the second being the S&W M34, a 4" Kit Gun. It wasn't particularly burdensome , but the idea didn't work. My fault entirely...I could NOT shoot that little .22 worth beans. I once fired TWELVE rounds at a partridge's head from about 20 feet away, supported over a branch of a neighboring tree. At that point I gave up and wished him a long and happy life.

The sheer power of the .41/.44/heavy.45 Colt etc aren't really needed even against black bears at close range. A moderate-speed heavy-bullet load will work beautifully. 250 grains of moderately-soft alloy at 1000 fps will do the job on anything in Tennessee, or most other states for that matter.

I also like the .357, as suggested by others. It becomes a bit more practical to substitute lower-powered rounds for the ones in the gun, but ammo management becomes critical. You MUST know what ammo is actually in the firearm, or run the risk of a bad mistake. I carry a .357 quite a bit now that we're out of bear country, and have adopted a load of 160/1200 for field carry. It works for small game, and will also deal with any wayward lion etc.

JesterGrin_1
02-06-2009, 12:43 AM
As said before the Ruger Security Six is a very good hand gun and may be purchased for a decent price. And can be loaded with .38 Special or .357 Mags depending on what you think you may run into. I would opt for this one long before I even thought of a Taurus anything.

But I am also thinking of weight as you will have to carry the thing for maybe long periods of time.

But I will also have to say I do so like the .44 Mag. If you re load you can make them from mild to Wild again depending on what you think you will run into. And for this it is hard to beat a Ruger Black Hawk in Single Action. They are not all that heavy and shoot well. Or you find and older S&W 629 without the full under lug and still be served by a fine Pistol. :)

Or if you wish to have something that is really light yet will pack a bit of a punch look for an old Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special. They hold 5 rounds and will fit in your pocket.

Dale53
02-06-2009, 01:36 AM
I have spent a good deal of time in the back country in Tennessee (backpacking and paddling). I have fly fished in Cherokee.

I would opt for a revolver. The "best" choice is a model 624 4" barrel. It is easy carry, comparatively and is extremely versatile. I always carry snake loads for the first two up the spout (Speer Shot capsules that I load with #12 Shot) and then a standard Keith ahead of 7.5 grs of Unique. I have revolvers of every normal caliber and that is my first choice.

However, The .38/.357 is nearly as good. The .45 Colt is not a bad choice. The .32's work pretty well except for the larger animals but it suffers from the lack of good shot capsules (that rules it out for me in snake country). I am a fan of the ,32's for edible small game but we are talking general use here.

At any rate the .38/.357, the .44 (magnum will work just fine), and the .45 Colt all can be loaded with Speer shot capsules. The shot cartridges are short range propositions (20 feet, max) but they are less dangerous of a ricochet off of rocky ground and are quite effective at the short ranges that snakes are a bother. After the first two shot cartridges, I use SWC cast bullets (358429 for .357, 429421 for .44, and 454424 for .45 Colt) loaded at a medium velocity (900-950 or so).

I like stainless for field use.

Dale53

cbrick
02-06-2009, 01:40 AM
First, forget the "Hard Cast". You neither need nor want "Hard Cast". Softer is better most all of the time.

Second, re-read BruceB's post #9.

Third, Permit? What permit? A permit to do what?

Rick

jack19512
02-06-2009, 05:04 AM
Third, Permit? What permit? A permit to do what?

I don't know if you are just joking or what but I think he is talking about a concealed carry permit. :)

Angus
02-06-2009, 06:05 AM
Houndog, all those reasons are exactly why I am moving south. I'm looking between Johnson City and Bristol. I graduated as a Respiratory Therapist and my wife is graduating as a nurse in May, and the job opportunities seem plenty in that area of the state. So it sounds like the Ruger is going to be the route that I go. Thanks for all the info guys.

klcarroll
02-06-2009, 07:42 AM
Remember: .......”A gun on the hip” does not automatically translate into “a hole in the target”!!! Pick something that you can actually get proficient with. Unless you are planning to devote AT LEAST as much time to shooting (and reloading), as you are to fly fishing, ….forget about the big magnums.

I would suggest that the revolver is probably the best choice, ….since you can carry a couple of snake loads as well as “serious ammo” in the same cylinder-ful. (As Dale53 pointed out.)

Kent

Bret4207
02-06-2009, 08:19 AM
#1- Forget the "hardcast" advertising hype. Plain ol wheel weights will work fine and you may have to cut them with pure lead to get the best performance.

#2- For you guys from Tn- there are parts of NY state that make any area of Tn I've been through look pretty darn built up. Find NYC on a map and head straight north about 200 miles. We have a little park up here that takes in 6 MILLION acres. I'm sure you all would feel right at home with most of us up here. 'Course you'd freeze your elbows off but that's another story. We have the same problem with city types moving in up here as you do. Any way- all of NY is NOT NYC!!!

#3- A Ruger Security Six would be fine, so would the Charter Bull Dog or any medium to small frame 32,38, 357, 41, 44 or 45. I'd be in favor of the BD as I own one and it's about the perfect packing gun. Leave the auto's for the range where you can find the brass and won't cry like a little if you drop it in the crick.

Willbird
02-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Ruger Security Six 4". It looks like a cute revolver, and everything I have reads says they are great. It will be used however, I don't know if that outweighs the lower price versus Taurus/Rossi.

This is the clear winner IMHO. These guns are very strong, nearly as strong as an N frame smith in fact, and they are field stripped easily with no tools but a dime....so if you take a dip you can field strip it when you get back to camp, that is going to be a lot more difficult with any other revolver. If you can get your hands on one of these guns do NOT pass it up :-). Mine has been redone to round butt.

Bill

9.3X62AL
02-06-2009, 10:35 AM
I'll pile on here for the 4" double-action 357 Magnum. My back-country beltgun is usually a Model 686, and it has been swimming with me more than once. If you prefer really dumb stuff like I do--berry picking in bear country--I suggest a rifle. My experience in this venue real-time indicated something belt-fed, but my objectivity was skewed a bit at the time.

S.R.Custom
02-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Who wants to hike around 4 lbs of steel N-frame and ammo all day when the pack on your back is already 30+ lbs? ;)

As a variation on the DA .357 Mag theme, I would suggest the alloy frame S&W 386. It weighs virtually nothing, which is a big factor when added to the weight of your pack which already contains everything from food to sleeping bag to fishing tackle...

cbrick
02-06-2009, 01:35 PM
I don't know if you are just joking or what but I think he is talking about a concealed carry permit. :)

hhmmm . . . yep, CCW. Didn't think of that, I was thinking maybe NY required something as silly as a permit to have a handgun which is bad enough but not as bad as NYC banning the Second Ammendment to the U.S. Consitution.

Rick

Snapping Twig
02-06-2009, 03:05 PM
My personal choice - a 3" 44 mag.

It's what I carry, regardless of the load I'm packing.

http://http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/P8180025.jpg

Geraldo
02-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Angus, you might want to read this:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/cherokee/recreation/rules_regs.shtml#firearms

Having backpacked with and without a firearm in the eastern US, I have a few thoughts:

1. When I carried a pistol, it was never really accesible. If you backpack where you can carry openly, this is not an issue, but if you have to have it concealed because you're obeying or breaking the law, access can be a problem. Think about how you will carry it.

2. Weight. As Supermag pointed out, if you're out for days every ounce counts. If you have a heavy pack and a heavy gun, by day three you'll start to think about leaving the gun in a creek when you ruck up.

3. I never had a encountered a lot of wildlife, including a few snakes, which I gave way to. I encountered far fewer people, but I never went to easily accessible areas. Fishing in a more populated or more easily accessible area would concern me more than being out in the backcountry.

Although I've not bought one, I always liked the idea of the S&W 317 with a 3" barrel and a trigger job. It's only a .22, but it and the ammo are light.

Kraschenbirn
02-06-2009, 03:39 PM
I've hiked/biked quite a bit up and down the eastern states...MA, NH, WV, NC, north GA, east TN...and my favorite boondocking piece is my SP-101 in .357 Mag. Yeah, it's heavier than an alloy-frame S&W but I shoot it much better than the J-frame Smiths.

Bill

Angus
02-06-2009, 05:47 PM
cbrick, NY does require a permit just to own a handgun, period. A CCW is pretty much unheard of unless you're a diamond courier, at least locally in Otsego county, 5 hrs north of the city. Do you not need a possession permit in TN? Can you take one out hiking open carry without a permit? Bret, by hardcast I mean frosty, water-dropped WW bullets. They worked fantastic from my 9mm Hi-Point carbine. klcarrol, I shoot a LOT, so practice time is of little consequence. However, I am liking the thoughts of a 357 over a 44 more and more.

Now, another question. Will a 4" 357 properly put down a deer at thick ranges of 50 yards or closer? I understand shot placement is key, but I don't want to rely on a head shot like I would certainly have to with my 223 Savage...

Houndog
02-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Angus,
you will have NO trouble getting a job in the medical field anywhere in East Tennessee!!!! In the Tri Cities area, (Bristol, Kingsport , and Johnson City) we have 2 MAJOR hospital chains with 6 hospitals, the VA medical center in Johnson City and a medical college. We are getting another medical school in Kingsport shortly. Since we are close to the Coal fields a respitory therapist is in VERY high demand for treatment of Black Lung.

As far as carrying a weapon in the Cherokee National Forrest, or ANY other State or National park in Tennessee, It's now perfectly legal!!! This includes Great Smoky Mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway, because of a new law and a reciprical agreement between Tennessee and North Carolina. You will find firearms carry EASY, permit or not, if you aren't doing something illeagal (like DUI) or showing your ass MOST LEO's won't bother. A CCW will cost you $50-75 for a school and $115 for the permit. It's good for 4 years and automatically renewable. Tennessee is a shall issue state and if you have no felonys or domestic assault charges on your record you get your permit. The whole process takes somewhere between 3 and 6 weeks In this area, contact the Sullivan County Sheriff's Department. Terry Wexler is an officer with the department and teaches the classes at the Sheriff's department range. He is also the cheapest at $50.

Tennessee does not have a permit just to own a handgun! The Federal background check is all that's required. A CCW is for carrying a handgun at all times and not required for hunting or range use.

Angus
02-06-2009, 06:15 PM
I was just reading the TN legal site and it said that possession of any firearm in a park or WMA that contains big game is a misdemeanor. Is the info a bit out of date, or is it eclipsed by having a CCW? Its great to hear that you don't need a permit to purchase or shoot at a range. Here you literally cannot even touch a handgun in a gun shop without showing them your paperwork.

cbrick
02-06-2009, 06:20 PM
cbrick, NY does require a permit just to own a handgun, period. A CCW is pretty much unheard of ...

Thought I had heard that somewhere.

A CCW in LA County is, well as an example, the Chief of Police of the Los Angeles Police Department (Chief Willie as he was fondly referred as) was denied a CCW permit. Just to give you an idea . . .

Rick

Houndog
02-06-2009, 07:17 PM
I was just reading the TN legal site and it said that possession of any firearm in a park or WMA that contains big game is a misdemeanor. Is the info a bit out of date, or is it eclipsed by having a CCW? Its great to hear that you don't need a permit to purchase or shoot at a range. Here you literally cannot even touch a handgun in a gun shop without showing them your paperwork.

The website needs updating! I just went through a Conceled Carry school and I work for a state park. You need a CCW permit to carry a LOADED weapon on your person or in a car, but you do not need one to transport an unloaded weapon. Another thing worth noting is you have the right to defend your property in and outside your home. Basically if someone invades your home or threatens you and YOU feel your life OR ANOTHER PERSON'S LIFE is in immediate danger, you CAN shoot the perp and they are paid for! We also have a law that prevents the perp from filing a civil lawsuit for damages You will find most households in this area have firearms AND a good number of folks have a CCW permit! You will also find we have an extremely low crime rate.

Bret4207
02-06-2009, 07:54 PM
cbrick, NY does require a permit just to own a handgun, period. A CCW is pretty much unheard of unless you're a diamond courier, at least locally in Otsego county, 5 hrs north of the city. Do you not need a possession permit in TN? Can you take one out hiking open carry without a permit? Bret, by hardcast I mean frosty, water-dropped WW bullets. They worked fantastic from my 9mm Hi-Point carbine. klcarrol, I shoot a LOT, so practice time is of little consequence. However, I am liking the thoughts of a 357 over a 44 more and more.

Now, another question. Will a 4" 357 properly put down a deer at thick ranges of 50 yards or closer? I understand shot placement is key, but I don't want to rely on a head shot like I would certainly have to with my 223 Savage...

The permit system depends on the county you live in. NY State only has a Pistol Permit law, says nothing about open or concealed that I've ever seen. The problem is County Judges have taken it upon themselves to add restrictions to the permits, in violation of the law true, but it's been done for so long it's case law now.

In my county the permit says CONCEALED CARRY right on it. But, my wifes says the same AND has Restrictions for "Farm use and target Shooting only". In theory she's not supposed to carry it but it's never been tested. Naturally if you put "Personal Protection" on the application it'll get shot down.

Now you guys know why I try and stay active in the gun rights arena.

BTW- The Charter 44 weighs 19 oz empty. N frame power in a light weight package.

MT Gianni
02-06-2009, 09:11 PM

The answer is perhaps. My first handgun killed deer was with a 4" model 19 in 1985, 125 gr jacketed. I hit the spine and shoulder shooting down from a ridge top and it made a mess. I am not sure that a 357 will put a deer down right now in thick cover which is what I think you are asking.

Naphtali
02-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Were the handgun to be carried, AND fired often (as in plinking/other fun shooting) any standard weight 357 Magnum with 4-6.5-inch barrel will do you. I lean toward a Ruger stainless GP because of inherent over design.

Were the handgun to be carried but shot seldom, I would tend toward something with a titanium alloy frame in 41 or 44 Magnum. Taurus has a nice selection.
Something to strongly consider is to obtain first-quality holster belt and holster. These will go a long way toward allowing you to comfortably carry an otherwise uncomfortable handgun.

One other thing. I loathe cartridge belts. Cartridges are exposed to dirt, impact injury, corrosion from loop acid, etc. For larger base cartridges, a cartridge carrier such as McKeever Cartridge Box is convenient to carry and to use while protecting ammunition.

Hope this helps.

EDK
02-07-2009, 05:28 AM
I don't have one either, but has anyone considered the 45/410 TAURUS Judge? I had not seen one...had not looked for it particularly either....until today when I was making the weekly visit to a shop near work. There's some definite advantages to that little cannon!

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

Angus
02-07-2009, 08:56 AM
I thought briefly about the judge, but 45 long colt out of anything but a Ruger doesn't look to have the energy to reliably drop a whitetail, let alone a hungry black bear looking at my stringer. The 410 end of the business would be fun for snakes and small game though.

Bret4207
02-07-2009, 10:07 AM

Yes and no. I put down at least a hundred deer with a 357 and factory 158 jacketed SP. Yes, 99% were car struck and injured, but- If I could get a head shot they dropped right there and I used to be able to see to get head shots. A heart or lung shot will not usually drop them right there. A shoulder shot often will, especially with a lead boolit and with good knowledge of anatomy so you break the shoulders. If you break both shoulders they drop right there.

Cast is different than jacketed and a 357 at 1000 fps+ with a 160+ gr boolit of WW alloy should penetrate through and through on smaller, -175 lbs, deer, especially with the classic broadside heart shot. You'll still have to track them.

exile
02-07-2009, 10:59 AM
I don't get outdoors that much except when I go to the farm and shoot, But, a couple of thoughts occur to me. The Ruger SP-101 in .327 Federal which I have, the 629 Mountain Gun with .44 Specials or a Glock 10 mm. Not that these would be the best choice but they didn't get mentioned.

exile

targetshootr
02-07-2009, 11:12 AM
If I had to spend several hundred dollars on a new gun, and it happens way too often, I'd get one of the new Ruger 44 spl single actions. You can load it from mild to wild.

:Fire:

GLynn41
02-07-2009, 11:24 AM
I have lived and hunted in West Middle and East Tn - still live in west TN-- the 4/5 8s Ruger Bhawk in 41 (my choice) or in .45 Colt or .44 if they make one ? any way--anything the 40+ will be light --you will hardly know you have a gun- - as problems- posion ivy here will attack will no warning-- we have some black Bears, hogs in East - but normally they will never bother you - yotes will bother various animals not you -- 99.9 % of people will try to help too much but likely that is it-- unless you go to Memphis then --crazy place who knows-- not an awful place just nuts - as the animals run the zoo

atr
02-07-2009, 11:25 AM
I dont think you would need anything more powerful than a .38 or .357,,,,and whatever model you select make sure its light and handy. For areas where I encounter snakes I use rounds with birdshot. Ive never had any problems with black bears, they tend to run in the opposite direction. In areas where there are large browns or humpbacks,,,,well,,,,I just avoid the obvious places like berry patches etc. I did once run into a pack of ferrel dogs and I was glad to have the revolver with me then.
I think alot of "difficulities" can be avoided if you just remain alert and aware....that your first line of defense.

robertbank
02-07-2009, 11:54 AM
My experience in this venue real-time indicated something belt-fed, but my objectivity was skewed a bit at the time.

Funny how that works. What appears to be adequate melts away when the need s there.

Take Care

Bob

336A
02-07-2009, 03:08 PM
cbrick, NY does require a permit just to own a handgun, period. A CCW is pretty much unheard of unless you're a diamond courier, at least locally in Otsego county,

HMMMM..... I grew up in Otsego county and lived there my entire 19yr until being under the employ of Uncle Sam. I came home on leave from HI after my 21st B-day. Dad took me straight to the public Safety building in Cooperstown to start my paper work for my NY handgun permit. As you can see I'm no diamond courier and I got my permit with no restrictions just like Bret.

I am now in Jefferson county though and like it better here that Otsego county. I guess Otsego County must have gone to the dogs the last few years.

Angus
02-07-2009, 04:45 PM
GLynn, I have my reservations about a Blackhawk SA, mainly because of them being single action. I don't know if this worry is ill founded, but I like the thoughts of being able to point and click if needed.

336A, I moved to Herkimer County a couple years ago, and it is quite rare to get a concealed permit here. Cocoma, the judge in Otsego seems to be decent, but far from a no questions asked affair.

Firebricker
02-08-2009, 06:43 PM
hey Angus you already have a lot of good carry suggestions. So I Ive got some advice on where to carry. Dont over look the clinch river for trout ! north of Oak Ridge if you want to eat them. There is also some great fishing in the big south fork gotta do some hiking to get there. Cherokee is great but BSF is my favorite plus it ajoins Picket state park. And Royal Blue is great. If you like to camp take the drive to middle Tn and check out Fall Creek Falls you are moving to a great area your going to love it there. Also if your a deer hunter middle Tn is just a couple hrs away great hunting. One more thing thats very important state law requires you to love them VOLS GO BIG ORANGE!!!

longhorn
02-08-2009, 08:43 PM
The Ruger would be my first choice, Tanfoglio second. Roaming outdoors, I carry either a Glock 30SF with a shot load in the chamber, backed by the GDHP short barrel load, or a heavily 'smithed snubnose Super Redhawk in .454 with a shot load or two first up, then GDHP's. The .357 will encourage lots of practice time, a good thing.

Incidentally, the .223 with the right bullets (!) will kill deer all day long with head, neck, or heart/lung shots; please note, I didn't say it was the best choice! And don't bother arguing about one-shot kills--I personally witnessed 20+ this last season. I also freely admit that Texas Hill Country deer may not be as big as the Tennessee variety..........

Houndog
02-08-2009, 10:01 PM
You don't have to go to middle Tennessee for GREAT deer, Turkey or Bear hunting! There's PLENTY of places to hunt in Greene, Washington, Sullivan, Hawkins, Carter, Johnson, and Unicoi county and plenty of game to go with it. We're infested with Deer and Turkeys almost as bad as middle Pensylvania! you will find GREAT trout fishing almost anywhere you go East of Nashville as that's the number 1 species stocked by the state and there's a national Trout hatchery in Unicoi County. All the places Firebricker listed are GREAT but you will find just as good Trout fishing and hunting in East Tennessee. Another fish not thought of in the mountains is Walleye. Watauga lake in Carter County has excellent Walleye and Bass fishing. Trout can be found in about every feeder stream for Watauga lake and a BIG plus is it's fed from mountain streams with no towns close! This is the first lake in the Tennessee Valley system and it's clean, DEEP and cold.

MtGun44
02-09-2009, 02:27 AM
S&W 329, crossdraw holster on top of the waist belt, when the backpack is on. 10.0 Unique
under a 429421. Will shoot all the way thru a black bear, or pop the head off of a partridge
or squirrel if you've a mind to and practice with it. VERY nice to carry, not so nice to shoot,
but OK with 10.0 Unique.

Bill

cajun shooter
02-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Bret 4207, I'm a southern boy for sure and have been all over this country. If I was to move from Louisiana it would be Tn. I didn't think that I would ever like anywhere up north. My wife's family are in Pa. and alot of people there are not too friendly. My first trip to Quebec up 81 opened up a new world. The area of the St. Lawerence River is breath taking to say the least. The woods go on for ever. The winters are something else though. That's when I come back to my senses and still love the south.

exile
02-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Just to be contrary, I will give another suggestion. I have a Glock 32 (same as 23 except in 357 Sig) It is light, and has more power than some might think. Glocks are tough, and were I walking around a national park or in the woods, this might be my choice.

exile