PDA

View Full Version : Tumbling boolits like buckshot ?

Wolfdog91
02-19-2023, 04:16 AM
So I got two shot gun presses and end up going down the rabbit hole of cast shotguns stuff on YouTube.
Anyhow found a dude on YouTube who does a lot of casting for shot guns . Mainly buck shot. Now some hot he does is tumble his stuff to remove any sprue marks or fins , cool I thought. And apparently this is just a thing with shotgun casting. So made me wonder.
Say you have a mold that for whatever reason give you a lot of boolits with fins . Not the big crazy ones just the little bitty ones that make you squint and cuss a little. Say you have this ...why couldn't you tumble them like these guys do their slugs ,buck shot ect ?
Anyone try it ?

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

notenoughguns
02-19-2023, 10:49 AM
Tumbling tends to make soft things round !

LAGS
02-19-2023, 10:57 AM
I tumble most of my Buckshot castings and my lead balls for my muzzleloaders.
It makes them rounder , especially if there are any defects.
The ones with defects will end up a little smaller diameter.
But mostly back to perfectly round

charlie b
02-19-2023, 03:29 PM
Yes I have. Rifle bullets. For a while I would tumble them after casting. It would remove the flashing and also leave a dimpled surface. Not 'dented'. Then I would add the GC and size it. I could not tell of any change in accuracy, they were still less than 1 1/2MOA.

I stopped doing it for a couple of reasons. 1) it was an extra step. 2) the 'dimpling' hid surface defects that would have resulted in reject from my "best" bullet sorting.

reddog81
02-19-2023, 04:22 PM
I never really notice fins on my bullets. If I did I’d try to fix whatever was causing the issue. Anyways , small fins would be cured when my bullets get sized. Do shotgun slugs get sized? I’ve never gone down that rabbit hole.

gloob
02-19-2023, 05:57 PM
The only rare bullets I have made that had any flashing were because the mold wasn't closed all the way. When I find these, I put them in the scrap bin. They are oversize and will jam in my guns, if shoot the bullets unsized. If I size, I often find these bullets when sizing. They need more push to get them through.