PDA

View Full Version : Bench suggestions

Bored1
02-18-2023, 01:58 PM
So I am looking at getting a new bench and would like suggestions. I am not a carpenter, also no real building experience. I would like a bench I don't need to attach to a wall if possible, and also something easy to put together. I was going to use the 20% off coupon at harbor froeght for their wood workbench, but they are out of stock at every store within 100 miles. Any ideas are appreciated!

Bored1
02-18-2023, 02:00 PM
Also forgot to add, currently I'm using a black and decker workmate with my RCBS Rockchucker bolter to a chunk of 2x4 that's c clamped to the top of the workmate. So no real rush, just more space of course would be helpful!

Sasquatch-1
02-18-2023, 02:23 PM
A couple of cheap kitchen base cabinets and a couple layers of 3/4" plywood should make a nice sturdy bench.

MUSTANG
02-18-2023, 03:16 PM
Should work OK - I like a heavier and larger top Bench.

Harbor Freight will usually give you a "Rain Check" honoring the Discount Coupon when an item is back in stock if you ask for it at the store.

C.F.Plinker
02-18-2023, 03:36 PM
Mine was a gift from someone who was moving and couldn't take it to their new locations. It was built by someone who also had limited carpentry skills. The top was a 5' length of a solid core door. The legs are just 4x4s nailed to the top. There are 2x4s nailed between the front and rear legs on the inside and a 2x4 sitting on top of these and nailed to the inside of the legs. I moved it three times. There were no problems with renailing the top on but after the third move it was starting to get loose. I pulled the nails and attached the top to the legs with joist mending plates. No more problems. It is heavy, solid, and doesn't need to be attached to the wall. It has served me well for over 35 years. The only addition I made was to install a 12" deep shelf between the 2x4s connecting the front legs to the rear legs. The 2x4 that connects the rear legs serves as a back to the shelf so I can't push things off the shelf.

If you figure out the lengths of the 4x4s and 2x4s the folks at the home center (or better yet, the lumber yard) may even cut them to length for you either free or for a small fee. If you do a search on this site you can probably fine posts from members who have used the HF bench you are interested in.

Walla2
02-18-2023, 03:51 PM
I used 2 2-drawer file cabinets as a base. I mounted them on 4x4 on it's side to adjust for additional height. Move the cabinets far enough apart to create space for knees. For the top I screwed two 2x6 across the top. One front and one back. I then screwed a piece of 3/4 plywood to the 2x6s. Solid and easy to dismantle with 4 drawers.

country gent
02-18-2023, 04:18 PM
I have the HF wood bench here its very good and the 4 drawers are handy. I did several things to mine that really helped rigidity.1) I pre assembled it so I knew it was right and worked,I then disassembled and reassembled with good wood glue in all the joints. 2) I then cut some 1" x 6" boards for braces along back and sides top and bottom. These were assembled with screws and the wood glue.
The glue helps make tighter joints and the added braces help keep load and force from working on the joints.

Building your own bench from scratch is very rewarding JUst take the time to think it thru and plan it out before starting. A very nice solid bench can be done with hand tools or basic power tools.

If you would like pointers and help on building your own PM me, Im more than willing to give help/advise

hporter
02-18-2023, 04:58 PM
I don't know where you plan to use it. But I used this kit to build my casting bench in the garage. It is hell for stout, you just buy the plywood and 2x4s. You could always have the guys at Home Depot or Lowes cut the lumber for you at the store. I only used one shelf on top of the bench, and used taller 2x4's so that I could put pegboard to hang things at the back of the bench and to suspend a four foot fluorescent light from under the top shelf.

https://www.amazon.com/2x4basics-90164-Custom-Shelving-Storage/dp/B0030T1BRE/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=2x4basics&qid=1676753648&sr=8-15

I don't think I would put it in the house though it is pretty rough looking - but in the garage it works great.

hporter
02-18-2023, 05:04 PM
This is a little more spendy than your suggestion, but it is what I use for my loading bench.

https://www.amazon.com/Seville-Classics-Commercial-Workbench-UHD20206/dp/B0049X8D94/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1VUEC630ZSODN&keywords=seville+workbench&qid=1676753951&sprefix=seville+%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-8&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.08f69ac3-fd3d-4b88-bca2-8997e41410bb

I've got 2 Dillon 650's, a Dillon 550 and a Lee APP mounted on it. It has worked great for me. I mounted shelves above it and it is a very flexible arrangement.

I bought mine at Sam's Club for substantially less than what they are asking for it on Amazon.

Snakeoil
02-18-2023, 05:27 PM
I know you said that you did not want to build one. But that would be my first suggestion.

The HF bench is not bad for the money. I would wait for a sale or even watch CL as I've seen them come up for sale every so often. My cousin, who is a master cabinet maker bought one because it was easier and quicker than him building one. And nothing says that you cannot bolt it to the wall, which is another thing that I would suggest.

If you are on a budget, I would check out used industrial furniture places. If you can find an old oak secretary's desk, they make a great loading bench. That's what I have in the basement. Drawers for things like dies, The top is 2 inches thick and all wood, not particle board, very heavy so stays put. And the secretary desks have a comparment to stow a typewriter that is handing for storing larger stuff that won't fit into a drawer.

Check CL tools section. You might find a heavy industrial table that would make a great bench. A bench should be heavy to stay put. The top should be pretty close to indestructible. When I built the benches I have, I used 2x4's to frame and doubled them for legs. The top is 2x6's. Some benches have 1/8 sheet steel top screwed to the wood top beneath.

I've seen benches made from Formica kitchen countertops. You can buy them cheap at lumberyards if they are slightly damaged. But, they are particle board core so are not good for bolting things like loading presses to. Particle board crumbles.

Bored1
02-18-2023, 06:19 PM
Should work OK - I like a heavier and larger top Bench.

Harbor Freight will usually give you a "Rain Check" honoring the Discount Coupon when an item is back in stock if you ask for it at the store.

I tried a rain check. Two different times today with two different managers. One in person, one on the phone. No go there, unfortunately.

Bored1
02-18-2023, 06:27 PM
The plan is for it to go in the basement, hopefully. Not really room anywhere else. The last time I asked around none of the local stores would cut the wood because if you buy the smaller pieces they make more $$$.

Thank you for the ideas gentlemen! Plenty I hadn't thought of.

Misery-Whip
02-18-2023, 06:34 PM
There are bench kits like mentioned above, most box stores sell one. Pick up some 2x4s.I was just at home depot and they sell butcher block countertops that just need a finnish applied. Add a box of screws and some careful planning and it will be better built than the harbor freight.

Baltimoreed
02-18-2023, 06:36 PM
Check the local habitat or goodwill stores in your area. Look for counter tops or old desks. My bench is made from corner cubicle office desks. The tops are very heavy duty but it is built into the wall of my reloading room with cantilevered legs as i wanted a place for my legs to fit all the way across it. I reload sitting and have 5 presses on it.

MrWolf
02-18-2023, 07:04 PM
So I am looking at getting a new bench and would like suggestions. I am not a carpenter, also no real building experience. I would like a bench I don't need to attach to a wall if possible, and also something easy to put together. I was going to use the 20% off coupon at harbor froeght for their wood workbench, but they are out of stock at every store within 100 miles. Any ideas are appreciated!

I got two of those workbenches. One for reloading and one as a regular workbench for my reloading room. Both got two pieces of 3/4" plywood with the top layer furniture grade. Glued, screwed, sealed and polyurethane. Tighten up the joints and as suggested, glue them also. Works for me. Good luck.
Ron

15meter
02-18-2023, 07:11 PM
If dollars are an issue, you may want to check if there is a Habit for Humanity store nearby.

https://www.habitat.org/restores

They usually have used cabinets and doors from remodel jobs for not much money.

As mentioned above, kitchen base cabinets plus a solid core door would make a great bench. Two 24" base units, one at each end will give you a solid bench with a knee hole in the middle if you are working off a taller stool. Occasionally you can find shorter cabinets that would work with regular height chairs. Steel "L" brackets from the local hardware store to attach the door to cabinets wouldn't take much. Plus you have built-in storage and it's modular, three pieces that will go down (and up!) basement stairs easily is a pretty important design feature.

If you chose this route, watch the door width, you can commonly get doors from 24"-36" width. Match the door width to your space and the cabinets.

My South Bend Lathe sits on a solid core door and it has served me well for a number of years.

I've seen guys use the basic formed particle board kitchen counter tops. Those don't hold up to the prying of a reloading press when full length sizing bigger cases. Through bolts in a solid core door will stand up to a fair amount of abuse.

And once you start working on a sturdy bench, you'll wonder why you didn't upgrade along time ago.

And buy a decent 1x4 to put a backsplash on the back edge of the bench top. It will more that pay for itself in the reduced aggravation of NOT having stuff roll off the back of the bench.

My knees hurt too much to be crawling around looking for the little screwdriver that made a break for freedom.

Bored1
02-18-2023, 08:20 PM
I tried both habitat restores in town this afternoon. They have turn into almost boutiques! Both had whole kitchens including granite islands marked at $10,999. Cheapest desk at either was $125 and the glue sawdust material.

WRideout
02-18-2023, 08:26 PM
"And buy a decent 1x4 to put a backsplash on the back edge of the bench top. It will more that pay for itself in the reduced aggravation of NOT having stuff roll off the back of the bench.

My knees hurt too much to be crawling around looking for the little screwdriver that made a break for freedom."

(head nodding) So true!

You can also consider looking for a discarded vanity. They are cheap or free, and already have drawers in them. You could mount the benchtop of your choice on it; my preference is edge-joined 2X4with plywood or equivalent to make the top smooth.

Wayne

farmbif
02-18-2023, 08:53 PM
here are free plans for a well thought out reloading station

https://accurateshooter.net/Blog/benchnrma.pdf

Baltimoreed
02-18-2023, 10:11 PM
Try garage, moving sales and if theres a used office or restaurant equipment place too.

15meter
02-18-2023, 10:21 PM
I tried both habitat restores in town this afternoon. They have turn into almost boutiques! Both had whole kitchens including granite islands marked at $10,999. Cheapest desk at either was $125 and the glue sawdust material.

That's a quite a change. The one here is still pretty basic and cheap.

ulav8r
02-18-2023, 11:41 PM
I have looked at the Harbor Freight work bench in the store. It was broken and the top was only about 5/8" thick. For reloading it would definitely need reinforcement.

My first reloading bench was made with a 2x4 frame covered with some type of fiber board sheet goods. The top was/is 2 layers of 1/2 in plywood glued and screwed together, then covered with 1/4 inch masonite for a smooth surface. It is still solid, but I have a 25"x8' butcher block countertop that will be my next reloading bench. It came from Dirt Cheap about 1 month ago for $180.

Minerat
02-18-2023, 11:48 PM
This is a little more spendy than your suggestion, but it is what I use for my loading bench.

https://www.amazon.com/Seville-Classics-Commercial-Workbench-UHD20206/dp/B0049X8D94/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1VUEC630ZSODN&keywords=seville+workbench&qid=1676753951&sprefix=seville+%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-8&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.08f69ac3-fd3d-4b88-bca2-8997e41410bb

I've got 2 Dillon 650's, a Dillon 550 and a Lee APP mounted on it. It has worked great for me. I mounted shelves above it and it is a very flexible arrangement.

I bought mine at Sam's Club for substantially less than what they are asking for it on Amazon.

I have 2 of these. Got them a Sams Club. They show them on their web page with black legs or grey for $239+.

SoonerEd
02-19-2023, 02:24 AM

This is what I use...bought mine at Sam's. It's heavy which is good. The rollout carts fit underneath if you need storage and you can pull them out if you need clearance

Bored1
02-19-2023, 08:27 AM
I may have found the harbor frieght table on Facebook out of nowhere brand new in the box popped up last night. Hopefully I will be picking it up this morning. If not will probably go with the one from Sam's.

Now to decide how to attach my press. Inline quick change mounts are nice, but a bit pricey. May try the lee steel plates.

There I go getting ahead of myself. Let's see what happens with the table and assembly first! Thanks for the suggestions!!! Avoided some bad trial and error with the info shared!

Sasquatch-1
02-19-2023, 08:52 AM
If your latest lead does not work out, try "govdeals.com". Their search engine allows you to enter your zip code and see what's near you. They will have everything from books to heavy equipment listed. They even have airplanes and yachts from time to time.

MrWolf
02-19-2023, 09:34 AM
I may have found the harbor frieght table on Facebook out of nowhere brand new in the box popped up last night. Hopefully I will be picking it up this morning. If not will probably go with the one from Sam's.

Now to decide how to attach my press. Inline quick change mounts are nice, but a bit pricey. May try the lee steel plates.

There I go getting ahead of myself. Let's see what happens with the table and assembly first! Thanks for the suggestions!!! Avoided some bad trial and error with the info shared!

The quick changes are nice, they are what I went with. Saves room and the bench top becomes a lot smaller real quick.

lightman
02-19-2023, 04:11 PM
If your lead on the Harbor Freight table falls through look up a company called Uline. They make equipment for warehouses, office and industry. Good stuff but a little expensive. I bought a lot of stuff from them last year when we moved into the new house.

Kenstone
02-19-2023, 04:42 PM

I have a HF bench in my garage, not for loading though.
I found the screws supplied for assembly too small/weak, so I used better "construction" screws.
The HF benches sold today are a different/better design/better drawer runners, etc.

Some have assembled 2 of the drawers together by not putting the top-drawer bottom in, creating one deep drawer that I believe can be used for 1-pound containers of powder.
I also added a support under the center of the bottom shelf (front to back) to keep the front/back rails from spreading.
A pic of the HF bench behind another bench I was building.
Here's the thing that makes any bench rock solid:
A simple angle bracket, bench top to wall stud, but if you want to do it the reloader way:
You have to OVER build it with 3 or 4 BIG brackets!
:drinks:

hporter
02-19-2023, 04:52 PM

I started with the Lee, it works much better with the steel plates than the wood. But the Inline quick change riser and plate system is so much better it is not even funny.

When I sold one of my Dillon 550's a couple of years ago, I put in it's place an Inline quick change riser. Now I can quickly swap between my Lee App, both of my Star Lube sizers, my Wilson case trimmer, and a few single stage presses I use. Oh, and a RCBS bench primer too.

It is a fantastic way to maximize the functionality of a small workspace.

alamogunr
02-19-2023, 06:22 PM
I built my bench from plans published many years ago by the National Reloading Manufacturers Asso. I think that is right. I modified the plans in several details. Instead of 4X4's for legs, I cut 3/4 plywood to the height I wanted and glued 2 thicknesses together for each end. For braces I used 2X4's under the top and for a shelf brace. 2X4's were used as intermediate braces under the top and shelf.
The top was 2 pieces of a special particle board used in large transformers(humongous things) as both insulation and structural strength. This material was over 2" thick. Each of the 2 pieces weighed about 175 lbs making the top weigh approx. 350.

After a couple of years use, I needed to lift each end to be able to store some boxes on the floor under the bottom shelf. I used a bottle jack to lift the ends one at a time to slip the 1½" spacers under the legs. I'm sure by this time the whole bench loaded weighed nearly 500 lbs.

Not sure what the sons will do with it after I'm gone. It can be disassembled since I screwed it together with lag bolts.

Polymath
02-19-2023, 07:11 PM
If I build another bench I am going to put a board all around my base to prevent cases, bullets and primers from rolling under it. The old knees can't handle getting down on all fours to dig something out of there.

Baltimoreed
02-19-2023, 08:11 PM
You can never overbuild a reloading bench. Mine started as a 2x4 frame 3/8 inch lag bolted to my wall studs. The feet are diagonal 2x4 that are also lag bolted to studs and carriage bolted to the frame. The bench is corner cubicle and straight office desks. To make a flat top I used plow bolts. These are short bolts with a flat head and a square part that acts as a carriage bolt. I used a nut extension and another bolt underneath. Pictures tomorrow.

Bored1
02-19-2023, 11:25 PM
The facebook lead paid off!!! Still new in the box. Had to wait on the person and a 40 min drive but oh well. Hoping to get it built tomorrow. We will see how this works! I did pick up some gorilla glue wood glue and some 2 inch braces to attach to the wall. Wife said go ahead, just remember you'll have to patch that later....

For shelves above the bench, if you had to do it again how would you go about it? Hutch style bench top shelves? Track mount shelves?

ulav8r
02-19-2023, 11:42 PM
Track mount would be good. Keep the shelves separate from the bench. That allows you to mount a scale on a lower shelf at eye level and not have vibrations from the bench affect the scale.

Sasquatch-1
02-20-2023, 09:02 AM
Wife said go ahead, just remember you'll have to patch that later....

Patching the wall is easy if it's drywall. It's matching the paint that's hard.[smilie=1:

country gent
02-20-2023, 12:53 PM
Another one to look for is one of the old metal desks. Solid and stable dosnt need bolted to the wall and has 5 drawers usually. Youwill want to stiffen the top with a piece of plywood.

I did one fora buddy did away with the legs setting on 2 2 x 6 boxes, and adding a piece of 1" plywood to the top. This I covered with aluminum flashing. I epoxied the flashing to the ply wood after the plywood was glued and screwed into place.

Another route with the top is to level it as close as possible, put 4-5 wraps of masking tape around the edges leaving it 1/8" proud. There are now self leveling epoxies that can be left clear or colored. Mix up what you need and pour onto bench top letting it level out. Play a heat gun or blow drier over the surface to help thin and level, this will also work out any air bubbles. When cured out you have a very nice surface easy to clean and very smooth. Very tough and resistant. Notes can be made with a wax pencil and removed when done

Kenstone
02-22-2023, 01:30 PM
The facebook lead paid off!!! Still new in the box. Had to wait on the person and a 40 min drive but oh well. Hoping to get it built tomorrow. We will see how this works! I did pick up some gorilla glue wood glue and some 2 inch braces to attach to the wall. Wife said go ahead, just remember you'll have to patch that later....

For shelves above the bench, if you had to do it again how would you go about it? Hutch style bench top shelves? Track mount shelves?

A problem you may have is the HF bench legs hitting the baseboard before the bench top touches the wall.
You might need to mount a "back splash/back stop" board on the bench or wall to fill that gap.
Or cut off the feet of the bench that are contacting the base board, like this:
I quick measurement will tell you if cutting the legs will allow the top to touch the wall.
Good luck on the bench assembly,
jmo,
:smile:

38-72
02-23-2023, 02:03 AM
I bought a used steel case desk, the heavy-duty style with roller drawers. The drawer came in real handy. You can get them off of Craigslist, thrift stores, etc. I put thick plywood on top and then some laminate on top of the plywood. I used a light-colored laminate. Have used it for years with no problems.

Shawlerbrook
02-23-2023, 09:43 AM
Ditto on the old metal desks. Built like a tank and with most offices going modular they are usually easily found and cheap. Just add a plywood top .

MrWolf
02-23-2023, 10:20 AM
Don't forget to put pegboard up behind the bench. I have pegboard everywhere I can.

Bored1
02-24-2023, 10:40 PM
Still haven't gotten the bench together. Ended up being pretty sick all week. Maybe feeling better, can't really decide. Hope to get the bench together this weekend.

Kenstone
02-25-2023, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the update.
Hope you feel better soon.
:popcorn: