PDA

View Full Version : Uberti Cattlemen 2

Iwsbull
02-17-2023, 11:56 PM
Saw this one and am really tempted to get it because I think it is just beautiful. I wanted to know if anyone had any first hand experience with them. I read where Brian Pearce said they are good to tier 2 level loads for 45 Colt so if I decided to use it hunting I would be go to go.

missionary5155
02-18-2023, 07:54 AM
45 Colt will always get the job done. Especially on corn crunchers.
Sure would be a "reflect all light" revolver to use hunting.

jaguarxk120
02-18-2023, 08:12 AM
You do not have to go to tier 2 loadings. Standard loads with the 255 grain SWC will do the
job!

RJM52
02-18-2023, 09:01 AM
Don't have a .45 Colt but bought the same gun with a 4 5/8" barrel in .357 Magnum and had Jack Huntington turn it into a .41 Special... It could have been chambered for .41 Mag. but I just wanted something different.

Jack called me after I sent him the gun and said he was really impressed with the quality...

Excellent guns for the money...Bob

Thumbcocker
02-18-2023, 10:13 AM
This one has impressed me. A .44 special is now on the want list.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230218/87e294e2fa805f614509cb58be3ba191.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Iwsbull
02-18-2023, 10:19 AM
I know it is awful flashy to hunt with but just about right to attract a red neck, as is proven.the grips do not show up as well in the picture but they are some of it not the prettiest factory grips I have ever seen. I have doubts I would ever venture out to the woods with it as I have others for that but I could hunt from a blind or shooting house if I decided to.
Glad to hear about the quality of them. I had read about the later ones being very good for the most part and usually an excellent value. If ( when) I get this one I think I would also like to get a matching pair be with the 4 3/4” barrel to go with it just because. I did notice it was a bit lighter than my Ruger flattop 44 special that is shorter barreled.

Iwsbull
02-18-2023, 10:30 AM
Excellent shooter and shooting. It would appear you have an affinity with that one. Beautiful gun and grips and what are they made of? How true to poa did yours shoot with that load or was there some major/minor adjustment?

Pereira
02-18-2023, 10:35 AM
Not the Cattleman, but a Pistolero. I picked this one up a couple of years back.
This was a 8.5 gr load of Unique and a 250 gr pill at 12 yds.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230218/f87917c656e263a365fc49e402086753.jpg

RP

Iwsbull
02-18-2023, 10:47 AM
It appears that they are quite accurate from these two examples. Is that as it came or did you have to mess with the front sight?

Pereira
02-18-2023, 10:59 AM
That is all factory on mine and that target was from my second outing with.
So I was still learning the sights, it seemed to like that better than the 6.5 grs of red dot that I shoot quite bit through the Rossi.
But that also could have been me.:roll:

RP

Iwsbull
02-18-2023, 11:21 AM
Excellent. I do think it will make a really fun range toy.

scattershot
02-18-2023, 11:37 AM
Beautiful gun. What makes the Cattleman 2 different from the Cattleman?

Iwsbull
02-18-2023, 12:00 PM
To the best of my knowledge it is the hammer safety. It allows the firing pin to float as long as the trigger is not pulled that also results in a 3 click instead of a 4( instead of C-O-L-T is says U-BER-TI) and I am not sure if the first model had the base pin safety as does the second model.

shooting on a shoestring
02-18-2023, 04:19 PM
That nickel finish is great……until you raise it to eye level in the sun!
I have a S&W Model 10 that is nickel and has fixed sights. It’s pretty much useless in bright sun.
For a toy, you might enjoy it. Shoot from the shade, shoot indoors.

I have a couple of blued Uberti’s. I have a little problem with them in direct sunlight too, but I can still see enough to use them.

Iwsbull
02-18-2023, 05:19 PM
I know it has some drawbacks but that shiny finish to a redneck is like a flame to a moth. Almost unfair to put that out in Alabama.

DougGuy
02-18-2023, 05:32 PM
I got this Uberti "Old West" model from a buddy, very good quality on fit and finish, they REALLY did their best to copy the 1874 "Civilian" SAA with the "pinched frame" rear sight and other details totally period correct except for the .451" barrel instead of the .454" that the old guns are noted for. Why they made it with .4565" throats is beyond me, I guess they measured an original which typically had .456" throats. At any rate it is an excellent shooter with the 454190 sized .456" I don't take mine over standard 45 Colt pressures, I have Rugers for that...

I have to give Uberti the highest marks for the surprisingly authentic looking finish, I had an original 45x4 3/4 made in 1902 that they must have used for their copy, as it is EXACT in every detail in the finish. The color, patina, totally accurate. Not all of the "Old West" models I have seen have looked as authentic as this one, but they nailed it here..

Enjoy your shiny sixgun!!!

310666 310667

Thumbcocker
02-19-2023, 10:13 AM
The one in the pic is the Frisco model. God only knows what the grips are made of they came on the gun new. Normally I don't like flashy guns but that one just grabbed me. Total impulse buy. It shoots to sights with no modification.

Note that my definition of "to the sights" is what the front sight covers gets a hole in it. I have never understood why fixed sight guns like model 10 Smiths are set up to hit 2" above the front sight at 25 yards and called sighted in. I want holes in what the sight covers not 2" above it.

The boolits in the Frisco are Keith 255 grain sized .452. Hope this helps.

shooting on a shoestring
02-19-2023, 12:11 PM
You’re in love!…..and I’m jealous!

Well, do some reading up on how to take care of that beautiful nickel finish.
What little I know is the gun steel gets a thin copper plating first then the nickel is plated on top of the copper. So stay away from cleaning solvents that remove copper fouling, or have ammonia in them including Hoppe’s No. 9.

I use Automatic Transmission Fluid of any type. DexronIII seems to be my most common. Ed’s Red is also great.

Nickel can scratch pretty easy so keep that in mind.

When nickel gets old it will yellow a bit. I think that’s a nice look. Some like to keep it polished bright. But it’s possible to polish through the nickel on the edges.

Castaway
02-19-2023, 12:27 PM
Check the breech face around the firing pin hole for peening due to the primer. Uberti doesn’t use a recoil plate and the steel is soft enough to leave a divot after repeated firings. The consequence is after firing, the primer flows into the void and binds the cylinder. Happened to me twice. Uberti tried to say I was firing high pressure loads. Not the case. One had a box of low end Unique loads and the other never had a smokeless load fired in it. Nothing but black powder. To their credit, Uberti replaced both pistols. The problem would be solved if they installed a hardened recoil plate

35 Whelen
02-19-2023, 03:57 PM
Not a Cattleman II, but this one was one of that last years production prior to the Cattleman II. I took a 40 lpi Swiss file to the rear of the sight to eliminate glare.
The bullet is from a the Miha version of the RCBS 45-270-SAA mold.

https://i.imgur.com/M6a1rWPl.jpg https://i.imgur.com/oAbzyzvl.jpg

41 yd. shot with same load and revolver.

https://i.imgur.com/1nHMZSrl.jpg

Funny...I HEARD that bullet when it hit the buck.

35W

T-Bird
02-19-2023, 07:35 PM
I have one of these in .357 and a "Callahan" model in 44mag. Love both guns, but both broke the cylinder stop spring (I know that's noy the real part name), and required sending back to the factory. One is still there.

shooting on a shoestring
02-19-2023, 09:09 PM
Yep. The Colts do it too.

I keep a couple of trigger/bolt springs on hand for the ones I like keeping “original”. I have a music wire spring in a Uberti that has never broken. But it sounds just enough different that I prefer the flat springs in my Colt’s and a very nice Uberti in 44-40.