PDA

View Full Version : Help ithaca model 37

wire nut
02-05-2009, 08:40 PM
I have an older model 37 that the safety is very easy to move from safe to fire. Has very little resistance to move. I believe the spring that applies pressure to the detent ball is weak. How do I remove the safety button to get to these parts.Thanks wire nut

cajun shooter
02-06-2009, 11:08 AM
The Ithaca 37 is one fine shotgun and I own 3. It's only drawback is that when it comes to a tear down it is much harder than a 870. I was a armorer for our dept and went to the school for the 37. I don't know your level of home gunsmithing. You should have a copy of the NRA book on tear down before trying this. The stock and internal parts must be removed to access this part. My 37's all have a real light working safety and I don't worry as I'm the one to handle them. Just remember that if the safety protudes to the right the safety is on. You might also try a web search for the parts drawing and step by step.

Steve
02-06-2009, 01:47 PM
+1 cajun shooter The trigger plate must be pulled out through the rear of the receiver, after removing the butt plate and stock. NRA book, Army Tech. Manual TM 9-285, Encyclopedia of Modern Firearms, would be very helpful to have. The 37 can have a left-hand or right-hand safety installed. The problem is that almost all safety parts are fitted at the factory. You may have problems getting parts. You may only need a safety catch or safety spring, but if you can't make one, you probably can't order one due to liability. Some shotguns are fast cycling like the 37 and model 12. Some would sure be surprised that they're faster than auto loaders. Oops! I don't want to start anything here! PM me if you want a number where you can probably get it repaired reasonably. Steve

wire nut
02-06-2009, 06:05 PM
my brother has it at this time, he was complaining that it was to easy to move. I will check and if it appears to need repaired then I will contact you.

fatnhappy
02-06-2009, 07:53 PM
I have 3 myself, including a model 87 (which is really a 37). Numrich has the safety catch but the safety catch spring is sold out. Unfortunately your chances of getting parts is rather low since they closed the King Ferry plant. I don't know if the new outfit that manufactures Ithaca's in Ohio offers parts.
As a side note, my hunting buddy was working out of Ithaca as a NY state trooper before the King's ferry plant closed. Since he is a lefty I lent him my 87 the first year I took him deer hunting. Not knowing how to clean it, before returning it he took it to King's Ferry to see if they'd do it. I got it back reblued, with all new springs and they only charged him $35. If I'd have known that I'd have lent him my ratty 20 gauge. :drinks: