PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the military guys...what was in this airborne devision case?

Tripplebeards
02-17-2023, 05:34 PM
I found this case today at the army Navy store for a $1.95! Looks like it's a TSA approved water proof style case. Figured I'd use it por my pistols. Reminds me of some of my pelican cases. I am Curious of what was in it though. Has a velcro strap over the indent. I figure I'll have to find a nice piece of foam for it. I believe it's waterproof and super heavy duty. It had runners on the bottom. Like it was meant for getting beat up through air port conveyer belts.

https://i.imgur.com/PMbStEw.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/bgMYXJx.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/shWyIul.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/jdtcObC.jpeg

jonp
02-17-2023, 05:53 PM
Optics

JSnover
02-17-2023, 05:56 PM
Optics is a good guess.
Could have been almost anything. By the time I retired the military was buying Pelican cases for lots of special equipment; special tooling, field repair kits, optical stuff...

Bmi48219
02-17-2023, 05:58 PM
Optics

Or some kind of communication tablet and charger?

Winger Ed.
02-17-2023, 06:29 PM
They'd buy the cases in various sizes with a separate part number for the foam inserts to fit anything that came in it.
If you watch some of the combat videos troopers take, you can see the kids with them for all sorts of stuff.
Small recon. drones come packed/stowed in them now too.

They're a fairly cheap item that is 'off the shelf', and works. If they had been designed as a MILSPEC item-
they'd probably have been made out of steel like a GI ammo can. Also, they'd be quieter than a steel one when ya bang it around.

They may have been designed for air port baggage handlers, but the govt. would have bought them to protect
anything inside from a 20 year old kid banging them around when they went out 'camping' as us in the Air Wing used to say.

It probably didn't come with the Airborne sticker on it.
And it may not have originally even have been for some sort of 'Grunt' gear.
Some GI would have done that after they had 'liberated' it.

None of the GI containers or cases I ever saw had a unit designation on it unless somebody other than the Supply system put it there.

elmacgyver0
02-17-2023, 06:32 PM
That is awesome!
Great buy!
Worth much more than what you paid.
Yes, waterproof or was, depends on the condition of the o ring seal.
The knob is to equalize pressure before opening the case at different altitudes.
Pat yourself on the back for that buy, my friend!

Tripplebeards
02-17-2023, 06:55 PM
The emblem is etched in and colored graphic over the etching. It's an impact resistant polymer case. I figured it was for something electronic. Guessing it's a Pelican brand case or similar. About a $165 retail case on average from what I've researched on the net. It's just as thick and durable looking as my 2 pelicans. I would assume these were made under contract for the military(or special order) since it's an etched in emblem(not a sticker).

Winger Ed.
02-17-2023, 07:02 PM
since it's an etched in emblem(not a sticker).

Yeah, that'd make it a special order item for them.
My guess would be it's for one of the small, new generation drones.
I've seen videos from Ukraine where photo recon drones for directing artillery come in a fairly small case like that.

The control/screen could fit in the bottom. The drone's arms fold up and it sits on top with a spare battery beside it.

If they crashed the drone, the case sort of goes up for grabs like empty ammo cans.

Tripplebeards
02-17-2023, 07:05 PM
That makes sense...wish I had a drone to put in it!

Half Dog
02-17-2023, 07:05 PM
Well, with that sticker on it it couldn’t be used for anything important. LMAO

Winger Ed.
02-17-2023, 07:08 PM
Well, with that sticker on it it couldn’t be used for anything important. LMAO

Ohhhh,,,, I thought I'd better leave this one alone.
I've ended up in the penalty box for not resisting lesser temptations....:bigsmyl2:

Tripplebeards
02-17-2023, 09:08 PM
Yes, I'm sure the military isn't dumb enough to put a " look at me...look at me" on the box if it was something “classified” or really important inside it. Guessing it was probably a drone case and someone had it custom done with the emblem. It’s gonna be a pistol case now.

SSGOldfart
02-18-2023, 12:01 AM
Ohhhh,,,, I thought I'd better leave this one alone.
I've ended up in the penalty box for not resisting lesser temptations....:bigsmyl2:

Same Here
but I think the case was for night vision scopes.

BLAHUT
02-18-2023, 12:11 AM
Night vision back a few years, now ?????

jonp
02-18-2023, 07:35 AM
Night vision back a few years, now ?????

Yes, I think night vision/optics. The type that sits on the front of helmets like this.

The older versions had a block that attaches to the helmet and then the optic/night vision attaches to the block in a simplified more straight forward way. Put the block into the box in that deep hole towards the front, the swing arm goes into the narrow part then the night vision binocs on top of them. Detached or separated into parts, I think.

metricmonkeywrench
02-18-2023, 08:32 AM
The foam looks to be cut out for a laptop, I have several similar ones at work. The cutout below is for the charger and accessories. As with anything like this they buy them by the hundreds for whatever purpose. It was a way to “militarize” a commercial computer. As usual laptops have about a 3 year or so life and they tend to move onto a different model and the cases won’t fit and are sent off to disposal.

Either way a real nice durable case and should serve you for many years

Thumbcocker
02-18-2023, 09:54 AM
Great snag.

Tripplebeards
02-20-2023, 06:31 PM
I have to orders some replacement foam for my other pelican rifle case. I had it cut out for my AR and shotgun for when I fly to go predator hunting out west. The pistol case here is also a pelican. I'll order the bottom foam for it when I order my rifle case foam. It's a $165 case ...with a "sticker"...lol. I showed it to someone who works for home land security. He was pretty sure it was probably used for a laptop case as well.

MaryB
02-21-2023, 01:27 PM
My go to source for the pick and pluck(little squares of foam you remove to fit the item) foam https://www.foambymail.com/product/pick-and-pull-grid-charcoal-foam.html

Tripplebeards
02-25-2023, 12:29 PM
I just lifted the bottom foam out and reversed it. All I’ll be using it for is trips to the local range. I use my bigger rifle size Pelican cases for air line use. The airlines keep shortening the Max OAL and weights every time I fly! Seems like every time I fly I have to buy a smaller case and suit case! I have a small pelican case I use for flying now. I have to take my barrel off my shotgun to fit it. It also will fit my 16.5” AR in At the same time. Jammed in there! It would have cost more to take my longer case ,that use to be approved, as normal size than buying a smaller $180 replacement case last time through the airport.