PDA

View Full Version : Where do you guys store your ingots?

Ole
02-05-2009, 08:17 PM
I have an old, heavy duty, wooden crate/box that would work great for this, I think. Only potential problem i'm thinking, is maybe wood attracts moisture? I live in AZ and it's <20% humidity here 300+ days/year.

Any thoughts fellas?

Thanks,

Matt

mooman76
02-05-2009, 08:27 PM
I have them all over. Some in ammo cans, plastick milk crate is good as long as you don't fill it. I also have some bigger blockes just stacked and some in plastic tubs shaped like bullets but don't seem to get used.

snaggdit
02-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Sounds like you need to start doing something with those bullet shaped ones! LOL

high standard 40
02-05-2009, 08:31 PM
I build small strong boxes made of 1/2" plywood into which I can tightly stack about 50 lbs of ingots. The count varies depending on ingot shape. I have used Lyman ingot molds which produce an ingot that can be stacked tightly wasting little space. Ingots from muffin pans don't stack quite as well. Humidity here in Louisiana is stout and I have some boxes that are 20+ years old and the ingots look fine. When I open a box to use from, I transfer all the ingots to an army ammo can and use from this until empty.

Charlie...........

codgerville@zianet.com
02-05-2009, 08:49 PM
I live in SW New Mexico, humidity about the same. I have them stacked on my shop floor against the wall, been there 15 years, no problems.

bbs70
02-05-2009, 08:51 PM
I have an old, heavy duty, wooden crate/box that would work great for this, I think. Only potential problem i'm thinking, is maybe wood attracts moisture? I live in AZ and it's <20% humidity here 300+ days/year.

Any thoughts fellas?

Thanks,

Matt

I get wooden ammo crates at gun shows for 3 bucks apiece.
Handles an attached lid and they are very strong and made for stacking.
I'm lazy, at 3 apiece its easier for me to buy one than make one.
I've only had them for a few months,after the abuse I give them, they are doing just fine.

As for the humidity, if you talk nice to me,I'll send some of the 90% July and August humidity in the midwest to you.:mrgreen:

targetshootr
02-05-2009, 09:37 PM
I put 'em in anything that's empty.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/targetshootr/IM005146.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/targetshootr/IM005145.jpg

Ole
02-05-2009, 11:09 PM
I put 'em in anything that's empty.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/targetshootr/IM005146.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/targetshootr/IM005145.jpg

I laughed out loud when I saw the lead in the water cooler. :-D

Pictures from my first casting:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/Ole1830/firstcastingsession.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/Ole1830/Singlebullet.jpg

I cast some 155 grain bullets out of wheel weights + 3% tin. Water quenched. These are for my SKS.

Only thing left to do is lube them and add gas checks.

Few mistakes, but most of them look usable for plinking rounds.

I'll do another batch tomorrow. Gas checks aren't in yet, so i'm stuck with just making miniature, .312" ingots.

bbs70
02-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Mighty nice lookin' boolits you got there, er, I mean miniature ingots.

AZ-Stew
02-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Stacked on the bottom shelf of the bookcase in my loading room. There's 300lb or so of WW and a couple hundred lb of pure, plus about 50lb linotype. There's room left for more.

Regards,

Stew

imashooter2
02-06-2009, 12:38 AM
I find I can get better than 200 Lyman ingots into the same 5 gallon buckets that previously held WW or range scrap. I put in 100, carry it to final location, pour in another 100 and then add whatever fits and still lets me put a lid on it. Generally 220 - 230 Lyman bricks in a bucket.

ktw
02-06-2009, 12:59 AM
Underneath my gun cleaning bench.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/ktwna/reloading/reloading-3.jpg

Whitespider
02-06-2009, 07:55 AM

Gun cleaning bench? Man, my kitchen counter isn't that clean and well organized. My gun cleaning bench looks like the aftermath of Armageddon compared to yours.

Anyway, I made my ingot molds, 10, 5 and 2 lb bricks that stack nicely. I just stack 'em up along the wall under my welding bench, in the garage. The top ones get pretty dirty with slag, metal shavings and whatnot; but it brushes off and I'm gonna flux and clean when I use 'em...

quack1
02-06-2009, 10:20 AM
I store my ingots in 5 gallon buckets with gasketed lids that I can get for free from a local bakery. All I need to do is wash out the frosting residue. I store these outside in a place that is always in the shade to prevent condinsation. I layer the muffin pan ingots in the buckets, rather than just throw them in, as I can fit more in each bucket that way. I never counted exactly how many ingots will fit, but there is no way I'm ever going to move a full bucket.

Shiloh
02-06-2009, 11:36 AM
In 5 gal. buckets in the garage.

Shiloh

Cherokee
02-06-2009, 01:44 PM
All ingots stacked and stored in the workshop, under benches, on shelves, any where I have the room for 2500#

jar-wv
02-06-2009, 09:06 PM
What makes the difference if the ingots are subjected to moisture or not? I have some that are outside in the weather.

jar

jonk
02-07-2009, 01:18 PM
In a cardboard box. I just don't try to MOVE it!

alamogunr
02-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Before I retired a couple of years ago, I accumulated a bunch of wooden boxes that small parts from a sister plant in Sweden came in. I sawed them in half(height wise), put a new bottom on the upper half. I cast my ingots in iron muffin molds and each box will hold about a hundred pounds of ingots. I've got them stored under my loading bench and against one wall of my shop. They stack well.
John
W.TN

housedad
02-07-2009, 02:44 PM
right now, in 55 gal drums as ww and loose lead blocks in a cardboard box. Several 30 lb ingots under the reloading bench I need more time to smelt it all out.

jnovotny
02-07-2009, 04:48 PM
I have over a ton, all in 1lb ingots, stored in milk crates and 5 gal buckets under the work bench in the garage.

Ole
02-07-2009, 08:59 PM
What makes the difference if the ingots are subjected to moisture or not? I have some that are outside in the weather.

jar

I'm new to casting, but from what i've read, moisture can wick into ingots if there are any hairline cracks in them. I don't work on any large scale, so it's not a problem for me to let the lead cool when I need to add more lead to the pot. It's an issue for some, from what i've read.

RustyFN
02-07-2009, 11:18 PM

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/ktwna/reloading/reloading-3.jpg

Very neat I like it. I store mine in five gallon buckets.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d739b3127ccec5711067cf8f00000040O00DZOGblm4Yg9 vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d739b3127ccec5707d962eac00000040O00DZOGblm4Yg9 vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Rusty

Gerry N.
02-07-2009, 11:23 PM

Any thoughts fellas?

Thanks,

Matt

Lead is the only metal that paints itself. Stack 'em anywhere you like. I prefer to put mine where I'm not gonna trip over 'em. Most of my stock of scrap lead is behind my shed.

PS: I live in the Pacific Northwet, about ten miles N of Seattle.

Gerry N.

supv26
02-07-2009, 11:33 PM
Right now I have mine in two 3 gallon dishwashing soap buckets. I use a muffin pan to make my ingots so I can stack them in those buckets. And, when they are full they only weigh 110 pounds so it isn't too hard to move them if you have too. I have 2 of them right now and have them stacked on a roll around plant stand so I can move them to the work bench when needed. I am hoping to get some more lead to smelt so I will have to make some more room and find more buckets.

I have also saved some empty boxes from my store bought cast bullets to mine in. I have used 3 of those right now but will soon run out of those also. I am looking for some little plastic boxes to put my cast boolits in also. I can then stack them around the shop.

ktw
02-08-2009, 12:44 AM
I am looking for some little plastic boxes to put my cast boolits in also. I can then stack them around the shop.

Someone here recently suggested old plastic VCR boxes for this. I saw a huge stack of these for sale recently at my local video rental place for 10c apiece. I think I'm going to buy 10 or 20 of them and start using them for boolits.

-ktw

waco
02-08-2009, 01:00 AM
cardboard boxes, and 5gallon buckets

mtgrs737
02-08-2009, 01:06 AM
I have a pallet mover, and a forklift so I made solid top pallets and stack them on top. It makes it easy to move them around the shop. I have gotten a good start on my second pallet of ingots, they get too heavy to pull around at about 1600 lbs. The pictures are of when I was just getting started so there is not many on the pallet, but you can see the method I am useing.

sundog
02-08-2009, 02:25 AM
outside, on the ground, in a pile. they ain't agonna rot, the ain't agonna rust, and they ain't agonna melt in the rain...

Southern Son
02-08-2009, 02:47 AM
My storage for ingots is exactly the same as Targetshootr's, although I wish it were more like ktw's. We get heaps (and heaps) of humidity where I live, don't really make any problems for the ingots (knocks me around a bit in summer, though). I am more worried that some dirtbag will find out that I have it and lift it in the middle of the night. I don't have a secure shed.

Loony44
02-08-2009, 07:54 AM
I store mine like Gary N, so my wife can trip over them (keeps her out of my hair and lets me know if someone is in the garage). Actually I try to keep my corner of the garage where I cast neat (I have a ventilation system), but I keep begging and buying I haven’t resorted to stealing yet, my storage area keeps expanding.
Last week I was given about 350 lbs of 1/8” sheet lead from an x-ray room. Another guy 2-5gal buckets of WW & one full of monotype. The wife likes it when I bring more lead home, and I love it she ain’t through me out yet.

Loony44
02-08-2009, 07:55 AM
Sorry, store like Gerry N.

lathesmith
02-08-2009, 11:25 AM
In the past few years I've gotten to where I like to store my lead ingots in cardboard boxes that I first put a plastic bag in to help keep some of the moisture out. Not hermetically sealed, mind you, but better than just the box. I have found that here in MO after several years my ingots can oxidize, and I don't like the extra crud this generates. Just goes to show, unfortunately I store my ingots a lot longer than some of you guys! I need to shoot more!
BTW, nice bench there KTW. I notice you have one of those "rock polishers" there on your bench too. I have been thinking about getting one of those, they look handy....
lathesmith

trooperdan
02-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Any of you guys hear of rinsing your ingots with a soap solution and letting it dry on them? Supposed to cut down on oxidation, though obviously not for outside in-the-rain storage.

motorcycle_dan
02-08-2009, 07:59 PM
The plastic Folgers 3lb coffee can works great. Holds 38 one pound ingots.
They use those coffee jugs at work and I started bringing them home. Work great for storing empty brass, PVC fittings and just about anything. Seal pretty tight and they are FREE if you are willing to fetch them home.

Another plus, you can really annoy the grand kids.

"Run down stairs and fetch grandpa one of those red coffee cans under the steps"

Only works once tho, I think they're on to me

Hehehehheehe

ktw
02-08-2009, 08:08 PM
BTW, nice bench there KTW. I notice you have one of those "rock polishers" there on your bench too. I have been thinking about getting one of those, they look handy....

Bought it years ago for the kids to polish rocks. They didn't have the attention span for rock polishing (timespan measured in weeks) and the wife didn't like the constant noise.

So I took it to the shop and tumble my brass with it. ;-)

-ktw

mold maker
02-08-2009, 08:20 PM
I have 9 milk crates, (not all of them full) with different alloys in each stack. Full crates have over 750---1# ingots each. They are stacked on the chimney foundation in the basement.
Bullets are in SAW ammo cans under the bench. I keep a desiccant in each to avoid oxides.
Cleaned brass is in 50 cal. ammo cans, also with desiccant packs.

georgeld
02-08-2009, 08:46 PM
I've had four large plastic milk crates stacked neatly level full off and on for about ten yrs. depends on how much casting I do, or ingot making frequence.

I've found they'll hold 728 ingots in 4 rows of 14 per layer.
Having not melting scrap for the past three yrs I'm into the last crate now, about 5 layers down. That's a LOT of boolits. Am sure I have over 1000lbs cast up now in my loading room in two gal plastic buckets sealed per cal and size.

I've never had a problem using these milk crates for this, they're still in good condition.

Part of the reason I'm casting and not making ingots. They were stacked in the first two before I started sorting them, never expecting to have more than half full or so. I did stamp the soft one's with a large L pc of angle iron. Anything not marked that way can be considered hard stuff. I'm wanting to use up the box and then start all over sorting each one either hard, or L's for lead which to me means soft enough for b/p use.

Just happens the space I used for this storage is the neatest part of the shop. Do wish I had another 10-20 crates for other storage though they're sure nice for that. Stacked on their sides they make dandy cubbyholes like open faced shelves.