PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 BDL

JLF
02-13-2023, 01:16 PM
Is it possible to permanently fix the cartridge magazine cover on a Remington 700 BDL DeLuxe?

country gent
02-13-2023, 01:27 PM
Why would you want to???

Easiest way would be to locktite the hinge and latch. This way will also maintain the original looks.

Next would be to silver solder or weld the floor plate in place. This way may be required if its for legal reasons.

I would have to look and measure but there may be enough room to drill and tap for a couple screws

TurnipEaterDown
02-13-2023, 01:39 PM
Does it open too easy, such as under recoil?
If you really have to, change it over to ADL configuration. The receiver is identical. I have changed ADLs to BDL configuration. Go the other way if needed.

JLF
02-13-2023, 03:29 PM
It is in .338 Winchester Magnum caliber, and on several occasions, due to recoil, the lid opened and the cartridges fell from the magazine.
Thanks for your comments. They are helpful.

JLF
02-13-2023, 03:34 PM
Does it open too easy, such as under recoil?
If you really have to, change it over to ADL configuration. The receiver is identical. I have changed ADLs to BDL configuration. Go the other way if needed.

If it is not available in my country, I am going to make an ADL-type wooden stock.

Nobade
02-13-2023, 06:26 PM
On the Ultramags Remington used two latch springs. I'd try that first, it will probably solve your problem.

RickinTN
02-13-2023, 08:54 PM
On the Ultramags Remington used two latch springs. I'd try that first, it will probably solve your problem.

This, or get a stronger spring. I can assure you that most model 700 338's don't do that.
Good Luck to you!
Rick

Texas by God
02-14-2023, 10:41 AM
A new stronger spring should cure it.
If not, install a pin from the side to lock the latch button in place. Easily done on this aluminum part.
I’ve always preferred blind magazines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pietro
02-16-2023, 06:43 PM

I would suggest using a file on the floorplate latch's "hook" to make it's engagement angle tighter, ergo giving it a harder "bite" when engaged with the floorplate.

Alternately, the floorplate can be epoxied to the bottom metal around it's edges to secure it (some heat will melt the epoxy if it needs to be removed at some future date).

Rapier
02-25-2023, 07:41 PM
Go to Pacific Tool and Gauge, web site, they sell steel bottom metal to replace the Rem factory aluminum plus 700 bottom parts.

deltaenterprizes
02-26-2023, 04:25 PM
Go to Pacific Tool and Gauge, web site, they sell steel bottom metal to replace the Rem factory aluminum plus 700 bottom parts.

Yes they do and they are very nice!