PDA

View Full Version : Going to town

Thumbcocker
02-13-2023, 10:44 AM
How often do you go to town? I retired just shy of 2 years ago. For 24 years of my working life I drove a fair distance every day and interacted with a lot of people.

Now I don't care if I go to town much at all. Maybe once a week for tacos with Mrs.Thumbcocker but other than that I just don't feel the need. I can get a good 2 mile walk here on the farm. I communicate with friends via text. I watch YouTube videos on things that interest me and I cast and load. I read ebooks. I do go to the range once a week or so in good weather but I really don't feel the need to go to town. Mrs.Thumbcocker does the grocery shopping and enjoys that sort of thing.

Ithaca Gunner
02-13-2023, 11:47 AM
Town?..maybe twice a week to one of the small local towns. The city, once every three months for Dr. appointments, in and out.

Handloader109
02-13-2023, 11:52 AM
All depends. We're 7 miles out. Usually a couple of times a week to grocery, try to bundle with pick up of meds at drug store. Stuck 8 days due to ice the other day... no biggie. Wife has been going to physical therapy twice a week so I'm driving her there and back, trying to combine groceries etc with those trips. I'm quite happy to get out once, or maybe twice a week.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

osage
02-13-2023, 12:09 PM
It varies quite a bit. Some weeks one trip to town or city. Some weeks 2 or 3 trips into metro area. I try to combine town, city and metro runs as much as possible.

Electrod47
02-13-2023, 12:11 PM
Retirement is weird, I'm 23 miles from a small city, 11 miles from a small town with a post office and a small Piggly Wiggly.
I'm 76 and the sole upkeeper for 125 acres of woods,swamp and a 3bd 2 bath ranchhouse with manicured lawns.
Back to "Retirement is weird", I retired ( forced out by a downsizing Steelmill due to age ) 13 years ago. Today I work twice as hard, and am three times more busy. Retirement has turned out to be just another hamster wheel we make for ourselves. But, like the job I left behind ( and loved too much ) I won't trade this for anything. We go to the coast often for fun, but a grub run to the small city is conducted like a military operation, in and out every 10 days or so. Maybe a coffee and muffin at McDonalds.

MrWolf
02-13-2023, 12:26 PM
Closest town has our post office, gas station, bank, and a small Dollar General. Go there basically when stuff doesn't fit in our mailbox. I go to the bigger areas once a month for doc appointments and my Rx. One is in Winchester, VA and other Romney, WV. Both are about 40-45 minutes away. Basically do the same as you as I spoke to enough idiots while working. I like my solitude. My gf feels about the same but she goes to church basically twice a week so she sees folks that way. I go to church with her basically when she sings or special occasions and events. We would rather stay at home, sit on our porch swing watching the chickens, or walk the dogs or take in the view.
Ron

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-13-2023, 12:33 PM
I live in town, so I'm always in town, LOL.
I do have some farmer/rancher friends that stop by for a visit when they come to town.
I do a lot of projects and stuff in my short driveway in front of my garage (weather permitting), I live on the edge of a commercial district, so when I'm out there and highly visible to highway traffic a block away, I have tons of people stopping by.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-13-2023, 12:40 PM
5 miles to small town with post office. Once a week. 37 miles to large town with supermarkets, once a month, but sometimes twice. 84 miles to small city, twice a year medical, but sometimes not at all. Family visits maybe twice a year. Hectic life.

DG

super6
02-13-2023, 01:09 PM
I do plan ahead and try to do all the stuff that needs done in one trip,Once a month, Post office, Med pickup, Tools and hardware, The list goes on and on. But I will do some beer runs weekly! The closest beer store is a small gun shop.

farmbif
02-13-2023, 01:30 PM
ive been thinking about going to town for a couple weeks now. I only go when absolutely necessary and pretty much do all the errands on that day. I like to keep a couple cans of beanie weenies and spam and stuff in the root cellar just in case I dont feel like going to town for an extended period of time. if I dont drive it dont burn no gas and helps to keep expenses down.
its not like I saw a commercial on tv and cant get to the store fast enough to get one of those widgets just so it can get sent to the dump in a seemingly blink of an eye.

375supermag
02-13-2023, 01:44 PM
Hi...
I try to make a gun shop tour every week or so.
That is about all the exposure to"town" that I need or want.
Going out to eat requires reaching the very outer edges of "town" but is in the restaurant and back out to The Estate.
Don't really need to interact with anybody other than family since I retired.
May converse with somebody at the gun club now and then or in a gun shop.

MaryB
02-13-2023, 01:53 PM
Typically twice a month... one main trip to reload the pantry/hit the liquor/beer store to see if there are any new beer styles to try and replenish the bourbon. Smaller mid month trip to get prescriptions and fresh veg if needed. 50 mile round trip so I limit running to save gas. Live on the edge of a tiny town, only 1 neighbor to the west, open farm field north and east, horse pasture across the street...

I talk to friends around the world via ham radio so not lonely! Plus friends in town pop in now and then... I worked with the public my entire career so being off alone was a respite from complainers!

MUSTANG
02-13-2023, 02:12 PM
About Once per week. Mrs. Mustang enjoys going to the Gym and does 1 hour exercise classes with the Seasoned (50 to end) citizens. She sees it as opportunity to socialize.

Like many here; I see retirement in a rural area as a bonus. Too many overfilled barracks, Tents, Ships billeting bays in the USMC part of my life. Too many self centered "Problem Children" to lead/manage/cajole/encourage/etc... to get the Job done in the Civilian work force part of my life to want to live in a Town/Metropolitan area.

white eagle
02-13-2023, 03:07 PM
unfortunately I live in town but I get to the country, my land, as often as I can

MT Gianni
02-13-2023, 06:11 PM
7 miles to the closest town, population of 1200. We often go 2-3 times a day as we foster our grandchildren. One plays football, basketball and runs track and the other is a cheerleader, neither are old enough to drive legally. I volunteer at the local library and am on the county board so I have meetings there. Take a SAIL class twice a week, dump run once a week and other stuff gets done too.

Next nearest is 29 miles away with a population of 15,000. We make a walmart run there about every month. Big cities are 65 miles north or 50 miles east. Both are about 40,000 + The East one is full of ex LA types and big city jerks. We buy groceries in either one about every 2-3 weeks.

BRobertson
02-13-2023, 06:17 PM
Nearest community for me is 25 miles. The grocery store there collapsed in an ice/heavy snow storm over a year ago and has not reopened yet.
It will be open this summer supposedly??
I drive over a hundred miles, one way, in order to do my grocery shopping.

Bob

MT Gianni
02-13-2023, 06:18 PM
I was listening to something the other day about some personalities really enjoying a road trip and I thought, Yep thats me.
I really like to spend 4-5 days travelling, seeing what is out there and just exploring. I don't do it much anymore but it doesn't take much to get me going if I can.

Finster101
02-13-2023, 06:30 PM
I was listening to something the other day about some personalities really enjoying a road trip and I thought, Yep thats me.
I really like to spend 4-5 days travelling, seeing what is out there and just exploring. I don't do it much anymore but it doesn't take much to get me going if I can.

I am with you on enjoying road trips. Especially if I can do it on two wheels.

WRideout
02-13-2023, 06:56 PM
I actually live in town, but now that I have seen the bright city lights of Butler, PA it would be hard to go anywhere else.

Wayne

Texas by God
02-13-2023, 07:52 PM
It seems to cost me a couple of hundred dollars every time I go to town- so I need to cut back on visits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgerkahn
02-13-2023, 07:59 PM
How often do you go to town? I retired just shy of 2 years ago. For 24 years of my working life I drove a fair distance every day and interacted with a lot of people.

Now I don't care if I go to town much at all. Maybe once a week for tacos with Mrs.Thumbcocker but other than that I just don't feel the need. I can get a good 2 mile walk here on the farm. I communicate with friends via text. I watch YouTube videos on things that interest me and I cast and load. I read ebooks. I do go to the range once a week or so in good weather but I really don't feel the need to go to town. Mrs.Thumbcocker does the grocery shopping and enjoys that sort of thing.

Sadly, my life has shrunk to "doctor visits; lab work; the highlight trip to get Essence for truck and Diesel for tractor; and, the once monthly haircut." My wife does pretty much all grocery shopping, and "Amazon loves me" (or, they should!!!). Yup, most bucks are spent on-line -- even a few on S&S here ;) -- and that I can get something(s) I wish delivered to my doorstep for less than brick 'n mortar shops.... Two years back our G E microwave oven died, and I rang local appliance store to get a $349.00 plus two-week to get it quote. I voiced I'd let them know. Long story short is TWO DAYS later a FedEx kid carried the identical microwave into our kitchen -- I didn't even have to go out the door -- total cost to me? $187.92!
geo

Bentstick
02-13-2023, 09:06 PM
Twice a day just to pass through going work and coming home from work stop now and again for needs or wants in our lil town of 850, wife does the grocery on her trips or lunch hr while at work, anytime I get to a city is for a funeral any more or traveling to hills of Kentucky to visit with a friend that lives in BFE, I like that since we live in the woods on 50 acres with a damn fine trout stream out the front porch.

SeabeeMan
02-13-2023, 10:06 PM
10 miles out outside of a town of 2500 and we make it in for something about once a week. Usually it is a random weeknight on the way home from work for something at the grocery store or something from the hardware store. We make it to town-town (pop 9000) to do our big stock up run on groceries at Aldi every 2-3 week and pick up whatever we need at Farm and Fleet. Duluth or Eau Claire, which is the nearest thing most would consider a city, complete with a Target/mall/etc is maybe once every 3-4 months.

Guncrank
02-13-2023, 11:59 PM
Retired now coming up on 5 years. It takes an authorization of congress and a invocation from the Pope to get me off the farm and into town anymore!
Yup I am just that much of a "people-person".

GC

Txcowboy52
02-14-2023, 12:28 AM
I’m with you Thumbcocker. My sweet wife and I retired a year ago December. We live about 10 miles from the closest small town to the west or an even smaller town to the east depending on the direction you go. I make it to town maybe twice a month. Could care less if I ever leave hacienda. Like other have said anything you want can be delivered right to the front door. I can cast boolits, reload or even walk down to the range and shoot till I’m give out , what else does a man need .

Gewehr-Guy
02-14-2023, 09:25 AM
I make a trip to a town of 140 pop. most every day, to have coffee at the feed mill. Mostly the same people telling the same stories, but all good neighbors. When the weather turns nice, I ride the Honda rancher, when it's cold , take the pickup. Only 3 miles,so it doesn't cost much.
My trips to the big city of 12,000 pop about once a week, to buy a few groceries and parts that are needed. One hour of people is plenty, then I'm ready to go home.

Thumbcocker
02-14-2023, 10:08 AM
I am with you on enjoying road trips. Especially if I can do it on two wheels.

We like to do road trip vacations but our favorite destination is public land in Southern Utah for rock shooting.

Rich/WIS
02-14-2023, 10:42 AM
Couple of times a week to town, groceries, dinner out, or to the range Fortunately it is less than 5 miles to the interstate and have a selection of the usual fast food places, a Waffle House, a good Mexican restaurant, Subway, a BBQ place with an all you can eat buffet, and a gun shop. Grocery stores are only a few miles more or if I go 4 miles up the interstate have another selection of places to eat and a Walmart. Sadly have to go across town if I want Chinese. Don't live in the country as such but the only houses are along the road and my property adjoins the Daniel Boone National Forest, essentially on the edge of the "wilderness".

Slugster
02-14-2023, 11:52 AM
I moved to the rural areas of Kentucky in 1981. My criteria for a home is that it has to be at least 20 miles from any city, and 7 miles from an interstate. I go to town for Dr appointments, hardware store, gun store, as needed. Mrs Slugster does the grocery shopping. I worked with a lot of millenials and generally non-motivated individuals. Retired almost five years ago and it was the second best decision I have made in my life. First was to marry Mrs mslugster. There is a farm across the road from me, and am surrounded by woods. I have 14 acres and a paid for home. My own range. Am satisfied with my life and can ask for nothing more. Hard work and sweat put me where I am. Life is good.

MaryB
02-14-2023, 01:10 PM
I moved to the rural areas of Kentucky in 1981. My criteria for a home is that it has to be at least 20 miles from any city, and 7 miles from an interstate. I go to town for Dr appointments, hardware store, gun store, as needed. Mrs Slugster does the grocery shopping. I worked with a lot of millenials and generally non-motivated individuals. Retired almost five years ago and it was the second best decision I have made in my life. First was to marry Mrs mslugster. There is a farm across the road from me, and am surrounded by woods. I have 14 acres and a paid for home. My own range. Am satisfied with my life and can ask for nothing more. Hard work and sweat put me where I am. Life is good.

I am 5 miles off the nearest state hwy, interstate? 70ish miles give or take LOL when I say middle of nowhere it literally is the middle of nowhere... 25 miles east to a town of 5,000 with limited places to eat out(they do have an okay Chinese buffet), 25 miles SW to a town of 13,000 that has many decent places to eat at, 20 miles N to a town of 3,000 and limited shopping(overpriced local grocery, Subway or Dairy Queen for food...), E and SW have good shopping and can eat out... several small town bars within 8 miles where I can get a mediocre burger and fries...

And I wouldn't move to a city if you paid me a $1 million! I would rapidly go postal! Traffic jam here is 3-4 semis/tractors lined up at the grain elevator waiting to unload. Maybe 20 cars a week day in front of my house... weekends 5...

Looking north from the west side of my property... nothing there which is the way I like it!

https://i.imgur.com/OXq1LQM.jpg

MUSTANG
02-14-2023, 01:51 PM
Nice Antenna Arrays!!

WRideout
02-15-2023, 11:22 AM
I am 5 miles off the nearest state hwy, interstate? 70ish miles give or take LOL when I say middle of nowhere it literally is the middle of nowhere... 25 miles east to a town of 5,000 with limited places to eat out(they do have an okay Chinese buffet), 25 miles SW to a town of 13,000 that has many decent places to eat at, 20 miles N to a town of 3,000 and limited shopping(overpriced local grocery, Subway or Dairy Queen for food...), E and SW have good shopping and can eat out... several small town bars within 8 miles where I can get a mediocre burger and fries...

And I wouldn't move to a city if you paid me a $1 million! I would rapidly go postal! Traffic jam here is 3-4 semis/tractors lined up at the grain elevator waiting to unload. Maybe 20 cars a week day in front of my house... weekends 5...

Looking north from the west side of my property... nothing there which is the way I like it!

https://i.imgur.com/OXq1LQM.jpg

In my youth I had a novice license; WN6GFO. I still get jealous looking at your antenna array.

Wayne

compass will
02-15-2023, 10:58 PM
Something it sounds like a lot of you need to look into. Mail order drugs. 90 day supply for co pay price of 30 day supply.

MaryB
02-16-2023, 01:22 PM
Nice Antenna Arrays!!

The four 20' long 2 meter yagis tracking the moon

https://i.imgur.com/rSc05hh.jpg

Last falls antenna rotor replacement/add 2 new antennas project, can see two of the 2 meter yagis in the backgound. Friend was putting the last antenna back in place, 5 element 6 meter yagi on a 20' boom.

https://i.imgur.com/X2zZZFQ.jpg

Tower #3 going up this spring, it will have four 21' long 70cm yagis with az/el control... got the bottom section cemented in last fall but ran out of decent weather to assemble rest of the tower and put up the antennas.

https://i.imgur.com/TWJEoll.jpg

MaryB
02-16-2023, 01:24 PM
In my youth I had a novice license; WN6GFO. I still get jealous looking at your antenna array.

Wayne

No morse code anymore to get the license! Simple multiple choice test, study guides and practice tests(with the actual questions!) online... way easier now than I was a novice in 1974!

MaryB
02-16-2023, 01:26 PM
Something it sounds like a lot of you need to look into. Mail order drugs. 90 day supply for co pay price of 30 day supply.

3 of the ones I take cannot be shipped.

WRideout
02-16-2023, 01:40 PM
No morse code anymore to get the license! Simple multiple choice test, study guides and practice tests(with the actual questions!) online... way easier now than I was a novice in 1974!

I actually kind of liked the code. When I joined the army in 1972, the recruits at Ft. Ord actually had to take a Morse code test. I passed with flying colors.
Wayne

n9tkf
02-16-2023, 02:09 PM
The four 20' long 2 meter yagis tracking the moon

https://i.imgur.com/rSc05hh.jpg

Last falls antenna rotor replacement/add 2 new antennas project, can see two of the 2 meter yagis in the backgound. Friend was putting the last antenna back in place, 5 element 6 meter yagi on a 20' boom.

https://i.imgur.com/X2zZZFQ.jpg

Tower #3 going up this spring, it will have four 21' long 70cm yagis with az/el control... got the bottom section cemented in last fall but ran out of decent weather to assemble rest of the tower and put up the antennas.

https://i.imgur.com/TWJEoll.jpgNice setup! I use a sling shot with a fishing reel and sling the HF dipoles in the trees. Works well for me. On VHF and UHF I usually use a hotspot with a HT to talk on the linked repeaters.

n9tkf
02-16-2023, 02:11 PM
I actually kind of liked the code. When I joined the army in 1972, the recruits at Ft. Ord actually had to take a Morse code test. I passed with flying colors.
WayneHams still use code but it is not required for the test. Lots of code on HF bands.

imashooter2
02-16-2023, 07:13 PM
Here in the suburbs, it’s hard not to.

MaryB
02-17-2023, 01:48 PM
Nice setup! I use a sling shot with a fishing reel and sling the HF dipoles in the trees. Works well for me. On VHF and UHF I usually use a hotspot with a HT to talk on the linked repeaters.

FM? 1 repeater near me that sees any use, maybe 3 people a day... I do weak signal(CW/SSB/Digital) on 6m-23cm and working on adding 3cm(10ghz). Tropospheric ducting openings, meteor scatter, plain old forward scatter, aurora bounce, e-skip, and moon bounce...

Wee bit of technology on and next to my desk...

https://i.imgur.com/USrTgDi.jpg

Shawlerbrook
02-17-2023, 01:55 PM
Little village a couple times a week and the bigger city a couple times a month..