PDA

View Full Version : Sticky rubber covering

abunaitoo
02-12-2023, 11:46 PM
I have a night vision that has a rubber coating on the whole outside.
Don't use it.
Was going to get it ready to put on the table at the gunshow next month.
The darn thing is all sticky.
I tried wiping it with a cloth and some alcohol, but it didn't do anything.
Can't wash it in water.
Any ideas?????

gmsharps
02-12-2023, 11:53 PM
Use acetone and it will take the sticky stuff off. It will leave the finish a dull matte look and it will also take any decals off as if that really matters. I had that issue with a Nikon rangefinder.

Gmsharps

Kosh75287
02-13-2023, 12:14 AM
Maybe dab Dawn dishwashing liquid on with a rag & wipe it off with a water moistened soft towel?

GregLaROCHE
02-13-2023, 03:02 AM
Acetone with a cloth not paper towels.

fastdadio
02-13-2023, 05:50 AM
Use acetone and it will take the sticky stuff off. It will leave the finish a dull matte look and it will also take any decals off as if that really matters. I had that issue with a Nikon rangefinder.

Gmsharps
Good to know. I've had this happen to me before on tools. I just tossed them out and wrote them off as cheap Chinese rubber breaking down.

n9tkf
02-13-2023, 07:18 AM
Goo Gone on a cloth also works but not as good as acetone.

farmbif
02-13-2023, 10:06 AM
I think I know exactly what you are experiencing with sticky rubber coating. I have same problem with handle grip on an older stihl weed trimmer and on a whole bunch of electronic diagnostic stuff like multimeters. it's some kind of rubber coating used in all kinds of plastic molded stuff. it is a thick gooey mess that is a bit too thick to be wiped off with acetone or goo be gone. ive thought about using electricians friction tape to wrap around and cover the mess.

Rapier
02-13-2023, 10:25 AM
Use a lint free, non dyed shop rag, with Acetone poured on the folded up rag, not poured on the object. If the Acetone does not work, try MEK. MEK will dissolve many plastics and is used to "weld" plastics together. Wear protection always for skin and eyes. Be careful of the lenses, may be coated.

waksupi
02-13-2023, 12:03 PM
I use mineral spirits and a shop rag to clean up butt pads. Dries without being sticky.

M-Tecs
02-13-2023, 05:55 PM
I use mineral spirits and a shop rag to clean up butt pads. Dries without being sticky.

Mineral spirits is always my first choice since it doesn't damage anything I've tried it on. Acetone is great for some applications but it can be hard on some materials.

elmacgyver0
02-13-2023, 06:18 PM
It will be a real pain in the butt to get off, hardly anything will touch it.
The soft finish when new is awesome, but in a few years turns sticky.
I have an old Radio Shack Handie Talkie that had that finish, it got sticky, and it was hell to pay to get rid of it.
Mostly a lot of elbow grease. Acetone will most likely attack the bas plastic.
Alcohol and mineral spirits is what I used, but mainly a lot of rubbing.
A friend of mine (some friend) gave me a shotgun with the same problem.
With a lot of work and a lot of time, I got it all cleaned up.
It seems they had a recall on those stocks.
My friend decided to send it in under warranty, even though I had it all cleaned up.
They contacted my friend and asked him how the hell did I get all that sticky stuff off of that stock?
They told him they should hire me.
It can be done, but it is a lot of work.

abunaitoo
02-13-2023, 10:22 PM
Thank you
I have alcohol, mineral spirits, acetone, and MEK.
Tried alcohol, but it didn't seem to be doing anything.
I'll try the mineral spirits, then work my way up to the others.

Guncrank
02-13-2023, 11:35 PM
I have a old Nikon range finder with that rubberized goop that had begun turning back into crude oil. The easiest method I've yet found was to get a rattle-can of clear polyurethane spray and apply a couple two or three coats to the afflicted areas. So far it's been doing a very good job and holding up well.
Although it durnd-fer'sure doesn't make for much of a pretty surface finish.

GC

GregLaROCHE
02-14-2023, 06:02 PM
It’s nice to know others have had the same problem. I wondered if it was something I had done, like spilling gas on them.

TXTad
02-14-2023, 06:44 PM
It’s nice to know others have had the same problem. I wondered if it was something I had done, like spilling gas on them.

No, it's just another common example of companies making a product to sell, not last.

I hate that coating. It eventually goes bad and makes a mess when it does, and it doesn't actually make the thing easier to hold onto in the meantime.

abunaitoo
02-14-2023, 09:26 PM
Got er' done.
I used Naphtha, because it was the can I could get to first.
It took a little doing, but it's now sticky free.
Guess any type of solvent would work.

MrWolf
02-15-2023, 11:21 AM
I think I know exactly what you are experiencing with sticky rubber coating. I have same problem with handle grip on an older stihl weed trimmer and on a whole bunch of electronic diagnostic stuff like multimeters. it's some kind of rubber coating used in all kinds of plastic molded stuff. it is a thick gooey mess that is a bit too thick to be wiped off with acetone or goo be gone. ive thought about using electricians friction tape to wrap around and cover the mess.

I used some Remington camo gun wrap I had laying around and just re-wrapped. Since not worried about a beauty contest it worked just fine on the tool.

GregLaROCHE
02-17-2023, 02:45 PM
I used some Remington camo gun wrap I had laying around and just re-wrapped. Since not worried about a beauty contest it worked just fine on the tool.

That reminds me of something that read recently about using the tape used on hockey sticks, to improve the grip on handles.

36g
02-17-2023, 03:06 PM
Be careful with acetone and MEK. Acetone is fine on polyethylene, polyurethane, and polypropylene. It will remove paints like enamels and will chew up polystyrene and some other plastics. MEK likewise.

firefly1957
02-17-2023, 04:21 PM
I have had the same happen to a few things like that with the rubber/plastic finish turning gooey .
The cause in my case was insect repellant with DEET in it I found no way to stop it from being a mess .

Snakeoil
02-17-2023, 04:44 PM
Might want to rub something like ArmorAll on it now that you have it de-stickified. Might retard the return of the goo.

36g
02-17-2023, 06:39 PM
I have had the same happen to a few things like that with the rubber/plastic finish turning gooey .
The cause in my case was insect repellant with DEET in it I found no way to stop it from being a mess .

DEET is well known as a great plasticizer. It really does a number on polycarbonate glasses lenses and glasses frames...

gbrown
02-18-2023, 01:35 PM
WD-40 is what I use to get goo off things. It is a penetrant, though. It will remove goo, road tar, and permanent ink off things. Afterwards, clean with a degreaser.(I use a glass cleaner like Windex) It will also act as a starter fluid with 2 cycle engines. Carrier is kerosene.

farmbif
02-18-2023, 01:46 PM
as I mentioned earlier I have items with this problem. by chance the other day I came across a flashlight with this problem. it was in the wood shop. problem solved on this one with fine saw dust from table saw. its now a rubber gooey mess saw dust covered finish. its a useful tool once more.