PDA

View Full Version : Receiver Sites

Bigscot
01-19-2006, 06:17 PM
I have M94 top eject and am thinking about putting a receiver site on it. I know Lyman and Williams both make them and I have some questions to put out.
Is one better than the other?
Are they durable enough to stand up to hunting?
Do the settings lock down?
Are they as accurate as I have read?

Any other comments or experiences with them would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Bigscot

SharpsShooter
01-19-2006, 07:12 PM

Thanks,

Bigscot
I have 2 lymans. One on a 1895 Malin 45-70 and the other is on a 1943 K98. they are very accurate and yes the settings lock and are repeatable. They will easily stand hunting thumps and bumps...more so than any scope would.

:coffeecom

BruceB
01-19-2006, 07:19 PM
My Marlin Model 36 (.32 Special) wears a Redfield all-steel receiver sight. I bought it used at the Big Reno Show some time back for about $70, as I recall.

I have a lot more faith in steel sights than the current aluminum ones, although it seems the aluminum jobs are OK. I have aluminum Foolproofs on a 1903 Springfield and a Model 70 .338, and neither gives me trouble.

The more-expensive current sights do have click adjustments, as do most of the older upper-grade sights from Lyman, Redfield, etc. They also have locking setups to prevent the adjustments from being changed accidentally.

I'd recommend either a Lyman 48 or a steel Redfield in good shape, over the current sights. It helps if your rifle is drilled-and-tapped for such sights, for sure.

Also, I find the issue 'bead" front sights a bit awkward with aperture rear sights, but that's probably because I've spent about fifty years looking through apertures at POST-type front elements. On my Marlin, I went a step further and added a Lyman Model 17 target front sight, which comes with about eight interchangeable inserts of various shapes. It's a great addition for the range, but one would have to be careful of those fragile inserts if the rifle is used in hunting.

onceabull
01-19-2006, 07:35 PM
BigS: BruceB has posted good dope, I would add ---avoid the Williams 5D, named for it's targeted selling price years ago,and not really worth that,even in "Greenspans",and if you see an appropriate Pacific brand sight,they are worthwhile..Front sight, Bruce's Set-up is as fine range sight,but I'd do otherwise for a hunting rifle, find a "Sourdough" type ,or if your handy make your own post type by modifying a bead bearer,if not, Pay, as I did, to have a local smithy make one to my spec's... Onceabull

waksupi
01-19-2006, 09:25 PM
I have M94 top eject and am thinking about putting a receiver site on it. I know Lyman and Williams both make them and I have some questions to put out.
Is one better than the other?

Thanks,

Bigscot

I have a Lyman on my .358 Win, and love it. I put one of the Firesights, from Brownell's on the front, and it is great in low light contditions. Reciever sights are MUCH more durable than a scope, and offer the scales on the bodies, to return to zero, when playing with various loads, and makes for a quick easy check while hunting. Assuming that you don't forget your glasses, as I did this past season.
They have positive stops, at least positive enough that they won't easily wander. If you get the Lyman, I will recommend the model with the target knobs on it, if you want to play with various loads. If you get the model with out them, you can always get them ,and add them later. I will say, I found out that getting the Jesus ring off of the originals was a pure bitch, so that is why I recommend the one with them already on it.

Bigscot
01-19-2006, 09:33 PM
So it sounds like I need to go with a Lyman target site for easy aquisition. Is there a particular model or just what cocks my pistol?

BS

KCSO
01-19-2006, 11:30 PM
I certainly can't say anything against the Lyman 57 as I have one on my 03 and one on my 98. But on my 94 where it stays sighed in for hunting, I have an old Redding peep that is a steel copy of the 5 D or visa versa. The sight is slim and trim and hugs the action and is pert near bulletproof. I bought mine in a box of junk at a gun show and i have about 2 dollars in it. I also have one I am putting on an 1886 Lebel sporter. It's not fancy, but for a ghost ring hunting sight for a handy carbine it sure is a slick little outfit. You might just want to haunt the junk shops a little first.

Bigscot
01-19-2006, 11:36 PM
Checking out the Lyman page and Midsouth, the only sight available for my rifle is the 66A. Does anyone know of anyother place to find the sight?

BS

Blackwater
01-20-2006, 12:10 AM
Bigscot, I believe the 66 is for flat sided guns like your M-94, while the 57's are for round receivers, like bolt actions. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but that's what I always understood, at least generally, about the Lyman sights. I think all the innards, the slide, inserts, etc., are interchangeable between the 66 and 57's, with only the bases that fit the guns being the principal difference.

versifier
01-20-2006, 03:23 AM
I have Williams sights on all my non-scoped hunting rifles except the T/C Renegade which wears a T/C. I have never had a bit of trouble with any of them, aluminum or not. W94, W88, Sav24, Rem788, Ru10/22. I remove the screw-in apertures after initial sight-in. The Rem has a home made brass wide post front sight and gives a sight picture like that of a Garand without wings, the best setup of all of them. They have stood up to years of rough handling without problems, though I have never dropped a rifle on the sight on a cold day. I watched a steel Redfield break when a friend dropped his rifle on frozen ground and I figure the aluminum ones would, too, in the same circumstances, but that would kill most any scope, too, and be a much more expensive mistake. The settings lock down, they are very accurate, they all work fine for me, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. No problems with Lymans, either, they're good sights, as are the Redfields if you are lucky enough to locate one. XS Sight Systems also makes them for Marlins and Winchesters. Brownells stocks all three brands.

Four Fingers of Death
01-20-2006, 04:03 AM
I currently have two williams, one old redfield and a really old parker (forerunner to parker-hale, one old field (aussie steel made peep) and one lyman. The steel ones look better, but I doon't thin they are any better performance wise. I have had three other williams and a couple of steel fields. Never had a spit of trouble with any of them.

If it was just hunting, I'd get a williams without the knobs, they are really slick and your clothing doesn't catch. With a hunting rifle (especially a lever, you don't need to be cranking the sights all over the place, get em sighted and then lock em' down. Then remove the peep. Keep it in your fob pocket with your coins in case a long shot presents itself.

If you want to shoot cowboy action you will need one of those silly thumbuster tang sights.

If you will be doing a bit of range work, an adjustable knob one would be handy,I have both types and hardly ever touch them if the truth be known.

txpete
01-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Keep it in your fob pocket ..

haven't heard that in years :)

I have a fp on my 375 BB 94
5D on a win 30-30 and a win 357 mag.

both sights have been excellent.
pete

Four Fingers of Death
01-21-2006, 06:16 PM
Where did you fit the fob pocket (fp) on your Big Bore? :-) just joking, I bought mine with a Lyman on it. It had been carried extensively by a well known Sambar hunter from Goulburn in the south of my state and it looks like new. He apparently hunted pretty much every weekend in the cooler months, but only shot trophies that were better than his previous and he had some awesome trophies apparently. The gunshop owner dug it out for me when I came back with the permit (it wasn't sales hype as I had paid for the rifle a few months earlier the last time I was travelling through his town, I have know him for many years and he is straight up) and said he wondered who bought it. He sold it new many years previously with the sight which took about six months to get in and three boxes of ammo. The old owner was a hunting buddy. He told me that he used 10 rounds sighting the rifle in and checking for accuracy. He went on to say that the guy was a real crank and refused to break concentration on a hunt and would not stop to pick up brass. He also said that he was such a renown stalker he would have been able to get his deer with a pop gun because he would not shoot unless he was within about 50 yards and had thoroughy checked out the trophy standards and was absolutely sure of the shot, he used tosay there was always next week. If the deer wasn't up to his standards, he would take a few photos which he would give to his friend a gun writer. Gratifying to know the rifle's background and to know it was in good hands before I got it. It really is a classy rifle.

Griff
01-22-2006, 05:03 PM
...silly thumbuster tang sights.
[smilie=p:
They're my favorite peep sight. You just have a finer sense of digit control [smilie=l: