PDA

View Full Version : Front sight ramp size/barrel diameter, post-Remlin takeover 336 30-30?

huntinlever
02-11-2023, 05:53 PM
My son has a post-2009 336 30-30 his grandpa won at the VFW several years back. It's the kind with a 1-hole front sight ramp. Need a replacement, just wondering if anyone knows offhand what barrel diameter or what size Marble's ramp with dovetail we should go with?

pietro
02-11-2023, 07:17 PM

If you're going with the issue barrel rear iron sight, I would suggest that you just remove the ramp assembly from the barrel and measure it's over all height - then shop around sight maker's (like Williams Gun Sight Co. ) websites and investigate the various ramp heights and sight blade heights available there until you achieve a combination that's close to the height of the issue ramp/sight.

If you're going with a receiver peep sight, make the over-all height of the new combo about .10" taller than the issue front sight height, to allow for the receiver sight's higher line-of-sight.

huntinlever
02-12-2023, 11:48 AM
Thanks Pietro. This would be an aftermarket front-sight base, and I think they're the same height - they just vary by barrel diameter. He is getting a Skinner Alaska coming, so we know we may have to monkey with the front sight itself to get a good marriage. Right now, just looking for the right 1-hole ramp from Marbles.

huntinlever
02-12-2023, 02:21 PM
Guys, I measured his barrel and it's 0.650 at the front base screw. I am uncertain of what size ramp to get because I'm not seeing any of the aftermarket replacement front bases, with the single screw, that correspond. Only 0.625", .6875" and .875" barrel dimensions are listed. Any thoughts?