PDA

View Full Version : ok i looked but have not found

Texas Gun
02-10-2023, 02:03 AM
there was a post on making lube with gulf wax i cant find it now

and can you use candle wax ?
i have a lot of wax i been saving up 3 boxes of gulf wax and a bunch of candles and some blocks of the hobby lobby candle wax

what would be a good mix for a star sizer and yes i have a heater on it would be lubing 357 and 44 mag 45 lc with it

and thank you

Winger Ed.
02-10-2023, 02:28 AM
Since the kids grew up and I lost my supply of broken crayons,
I switched over to sneaking some of the wife's fu-fu candles as a base for pistol boolit lube.
The smell doesn't bother me, but I get questions at the range like, "Did you get that ammo from San Francisco"?

I save the Gulf Wax for making my own bird seed blocks to set out for the resident wood peckers here.

Castaway
02-10-2023, 07:41 AM
Gato Feo lube. By weight; 2:2:1, paraffin, mutton tallow and bees wax. Not only excellent with black powder but also solitude moderate smokeless loads too. Was originally a Winchester lube for heeled bullets and republished in an NRA Magazine in the 40’s

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-10-2023, 10:01 AM
Gulf wax is paraffin wax...well more better put, Gulf wax is a Household Paraffin Wax that is highly refined and ideal for sealing jams, jellies and preserves in open top containers.
Paraffin from other sources may not be considered food grade.

Candles can be anything, while they are mostly paraffin, they can be Soy wax, beeswax, or a mix of waxes and additives. Usually paraffin wax candles are translucent, whereas others are milky or white. It's fine to use candles in boolit lubes, it's been said that a mix of waxes may work better, but the problem comes in about repeatability (making subsequent batches), because you won't know what the mix is when using old candles.

As to boolit lube recipes and paraffin, a trusted person once told me that swapping some paraffin for a portion of beeswax, where Beeswax is the base, to a total content of 5% paraffin is suggested. That is a good and maximum amount to help with the lube turning from a solid to a liquid quickly at a short temperature/pressure range.

The old NRA lube (1/3 Vaseline, 1/3 beeswax, 1/3 paraffin) is an exception.
ALSO, adding some soap to this recipe (see 666+1, AKA:Satan's lube) helps this recipe be less sticky, and you could add more soap if necessary.

Texas Gun
02-10-2023, 11:39 PM
thanks you