PDA

View Full Version : 2023 The Year of the Melt Um, Maybe 2024

6mm win lee
02-09-2023, 11:19 PM
I have some where North of eleven hundred pounds of Linotype laying around that I had purchased years ago. I figure this is the year I buckle down and start casting. Given my families' genetics I am good to go for another fifteen to twenty years of being on the up side of dirt. I need to get myself a good broad spectrum .30 Cal mold for Springfields (all flavors since 1892), hunting rifles and then for a few assorted oddities like Berthiers, .35 Cal., and British arms.

I've been reading various posts about good molds but there are too many to choose from that seems so maddening.

I am shooting through all of the factory ammo, though, as fast as time allows but that could be four years before I clear the pile.

And one more thing. I think it is a shame I don't have my own range so I could recover all that lino instead of leaving it behind for berm recyclers. Darn.

In other news. Throw all the bums out. No incumbents.

Walks
02-09-2023, 11:29 PM
I too hate leaving lead behind for someone else.

As far as molds go, May I suggest the Lyman #311284. A 210gr RN which My Dad used in His Krag. And the #311413 a spitzer which has served Me well in all .30-06 rifles that I have tried it in.
The #311284 is, I believe still currently cataloged. The #311413 you'll have to try fleabay or other sources.

lightman
02-10-2023, 11:43 AM
I would leave that Lino in its original form and use it as needed. If you ever sell any of it the buyer would probably rather see it in its original form.

Walks made some good suggestions.

Bigslug
02-11-2023, 03:59 PM
The 311299 / 314299 are great target bullets that will both cover many of the .30-ish caliber service rifles.

If you want something more blunt for hunting, my father designed the Accurate Molds 31-194D for a broad-spectrum .30-06 bullet, and the 31-199D for the longer neck of a .30-40 Krag. Both have essentially the same nose and have proven to be shooters. He did a third on that pattern for the .30-30 in the 170 grain range, but I can't recall the designation off the top of my head.

As to lead reclamation: if your range will permit it, an armor bullet trap or at least an angled deflector behind your target to kick your bullets to the ground might be an option, though pure lino is likely to blow to crumbs on impact.

Like Lightman says, leaving the bulk of your lino unmixed while generating a usuable pile of alloy for your immediate needs would be prudent. When you decide you've had enough, it'll be more attractive to the next guy.

Winger Ed.
02-11-2023, 06:08 PM
Sounds like a plan.
I'd leave it in its original form too until I needed it.

Don't make extra work for yourself---- other people are more than glad to do that for you.

Sasquatch-1
02-12-2023, 10:03 AM
I agree with the others. Leave it in its original form. If you need workable alloy trade some off in S&S thread. You can probably multables to one for the lino.