PDA

View Full Version : Estate Buy

35isit
02-09-2023, 10:31 AM
I bought a estate from a friend of mine. His father passed away and had some reloading stuff he wanted to sell. I wound up with a Hornady Lock and Load AP progressive press. It has two sets of dies three shell plates and the powder measure as well as some other parts. There's a Hornady single stage press, a Hornady measure and a Hornady scale. They are all dirty but work. I have little to no inclination to clean or refurbish or buy any missing parts. The progressive is missing a few. There's no priming mechinism, and there's no tube on the powder measure although. I have the primer tubes. The single stage has no primer catcher.

Don't ask to buy! Just asking what I should do to get ready or should I sell as is. I have enough post to sell in swapping and selling. I will post when ready

dverna
02-09-2023, 11:25 AM
IMO a picture of a "clean" press will fetch a better price.

Many of the parts needed sound cheap to get. A "working" press will get more $$$ but if you do not want to put the effort in just be honest with the deficiencies when you post it. Lots of folks will spend a bit of time and coin to get a press running again.

Good luck!!

super6
02-09-2023, 11:40 AM
I think putting a bit of elbow grease in the stuff would bring more cash. Other wise sell as is, some people are looking for A DEAL and will be happy to do the work! Its your call as to how much work you want to put into it, Something I would buy as is.

Winger Ed.
02-09-2023, 12:49 PM
I have little to no inclination to clean or refurbish or buy any missing parts.

In that condition, it'll be like selling a wrecked car that doesn't run.
Don't expect to get much for it.

Land Owner
02-10-2023, 07:44 AM
I too bought a shooter's estate. After a year of moving, cleaning, storage, advertising, internet and face-to-face sales, hustling, in particular shipping, I was BURNED OUT. I made money but turned this hobby into a "business", which sucked the fun out of all of it. BEWARE!

Shawlerbrook
02-10-2023, 08:11 AM
Agree that a non working press will not bring back much and biggest problem with selling these heavy , bulky items is the crazy cost of shipping.

Plate plinker
02-10-2023, 08:14 AM
Don is dead on. Pictures always help.

rancher1913
02-10-2023, 09:08 AM
things just arnt selling like they used to. price them low as is and you will find more possible buyers

ddeck22
02-10-2023, 04:21 PM
Split into useful units. Sell primer tubes as a lot for example. If people don't know if it works, they won't pay much for it on the chance it doesn't work.

If it is bulky, go for local sales on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
02-11-2023, 12:43 AM
Yep, at one point I bought an estate sale which included multiple truckloads (yep, full size trucks) of reloading equipment. A few of you may remember. It included over 500 die sets, 10s of thousands of bullets, several presses, and many, many other items. It was a gigantic chore to sort it all out, clean up what needed to be cleaned up, give everything a final inspection, and then price everything. Then to get it all boxed up and shipped. Lol. Boy it was a lot of fun but a lot of work. Brings back memories. Lol

ddeck22
02-12-2023, 03:34 PM
Yep, at one point I bought an estate sale which included multiple truckloads (yep, full size trucks) of reloading equipment. A few of you may remember. It included over 500 die sets, 10s of thousands of bullets, several presses, and many, many other items. It was a gigantic chore to sort it all out, clean up what needed to be cleaned up, give everything a final inspection, and then price everything. Then to get it all boxed up and shipped. Lol. Boy it was a lot of fun but a lot of work. Brings back memories. Lol

There must have been some story about how a person could have accumulated that much. I had one experience where a person was clearly a hoarder. They had so much stuff and the person trying to sell it had no idea how to get rid of it all.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
02-13-2023, 02:50 PM
The guy that owned it all passed away and his daughter wanted it all gone. Supposedly the guy was big into going to gun shows and peddling stuff here and there. There was ALOT of good stuff. The daughter was super happy that I took it all and was also happy with the sale price. Edit: We we’re both very happy with the sale price.

eastbank
02-13-2023, 05:54 PM
several years ago i was given quite a large group of ammo-reloading-gun parts, but it had to be removed in two days and i and several friends did it and it was put in my garage-celler and we still go thru it finding things we use. i have sold some things, but not for alot of money. only the gun parts were sold to a parts dealer for a good price.

41jfischer
02-20-2023, 05:18 PM
Have bought a couple of bundles of reloading stuff at auctions and enjoy finding some really odd stuff in it

GunsandCoffee
03-01-2023, 11:06 AM
I work part-time at a range and had a guy bring in a box full of stuff he found at a garage sale - he wanted us to sell it for him.

It's mostly 70s stuff and includes a nice Lyman beam scale, Lyman 55 PM in great shape, and some odds and ends.

The price is very low, but I haven't had a single interested party.

The used reloading equipment market is strange.

Half Dog
03-01-2023, 11:28 AM
I firmly believe that everything has a life span. After that time is up, headaches begin. For that reason I prefer new and hopefully I’m gone when the lifespan ends.

Land Owner
03-03-2023, 08:50 AM
I work part-time at a range and had a guy bring in a box full of stuff he found at a garage sale - he wanted us to sell it for him.

It's mostly 70s stuff and includes a nice Lyman beam scale, Lyman 55 PM in great shape, and some odds and ends.

The price is very low, but I haven't had a single interested party.

The used reloading equipment market is strange.

Shooters at the range already know or have all the stuff they need. Whether they WANT more stuff depends. The range is a poor place to sell reloading stuff, unless perhaps you are setting the price to effectively "give it away". So too is expecting a quick sale on casting and reloading forums (for the same reason as above) with the exception that our forums do bring new folks for recommendations, a look, and perhaps to purchase something available on-line.

Clean the stuff up. Take a picture. Set a reasonable price. Post an ad with its photo on-line and wait for the fish to bite. Advertising (like fishing) takes time, some effort, and its results are intermittent. You just never know when the fish are biting.

The "guy at the range" should pick up his stuff, do the grunt work himself, and advertise it elsewhere...or give it all to you and then you can decide how to "dispose" of it.

ddeck22
03-03-2023, 09:07 AM
I find that dies sell well at the right price since the designs have not changed much. Powder measures are sort of in the same boat, but people don’t need many in most cases. Beam scales have been replaced by electronic ones so I find few people want them. Older reloading manuals and stuff don’t sell well either (in my area).

jakharath
03-03-2023, 09:41 AM
Had a Hornady LNL AP press for sale, all parts (minus dies and shellplate) plus a bunch of small spare parts. Tore it down, cleaned, lubed and put back together. This is a $600 press before tax and shipping. Advertised on Texas Gun Trader and Craigslist. Took 9 months to sell it. Finally sold it for $200.

That was a working press with all parts, but ymmv.

pworley1
03-03-2023, 09:53 AM
It will not take very long just to clean it up, I think it would be time well spent in the selling price.

ddeck22
03-03-2023, 10:11 AM
Had a Hornady LNL AP press for sale, all parts (minus dies and shellplate) plus a bunch of small spare parts. Tore it down, cleaned, lubed and put back together. This is a $600 press before tax and shipping. Advertised on Texas Gun Trader and Craigslist. Took 9 months to sell it. Finally sold it for $200.

That was a working press with all parts, but ymmv.

That’s surprising. Although pricing on reloading stuff has collapsed since last year. Once the manufacturers caught up (and doubled prices) things fell back rapidly. But not that rapidly up here in the Northeast. As you mentioned, YMMV.