PDA

View Full Version : Got Lucky Today!

centershot
02-07-2023, 06:13 PM
Ummm.....no,not "that" kind of lucky (sigh).........but anyway, moving along......I've had a brick of CCI Large Pistol Mag primers sitting on my primer shelf for ages, I mean these are in the red & white box from the 70's maybe? They've been there for over twenty years anyway. Why? Because they're just enough oversize that they WILL NOT SEAT! There's 994 of them, 6 were destroyed trying to find SOMETHING that I could use them for. IIRC, they are 0.0006" oversize in diameter. This afternoon while making a couple loaves of bread, a thought came to me - "Try those primers in that bag of new Privi-Partisan brass for the 7.62x54R, MAYBE they'll fit." Son-of-a-gun, they did! They weren't happy about it, but they seated! I was using my Lee hand priming tool, so I installed the primer seating arm in the Classic Cast and made sure they bottomed! I tried one in the M-44 and it had plenty of projection to whack that primer pretty good. Finally, I have a use for these things, Hallelujah!

WRideout
02-08-2023, 04:39 PM
this is why i never throw things away. my wife thinks i collect too much junk, but its all stuff i will use; someday.

wayne

jdgabbard
02-08-2023, 05:20 PM
Some brass can have rather tight primer pockets that are just out of spec enought that a slightly out of spec primer won't seat. Helps to have a primer pocket swaging tool to correct the brass and hopefully make them "usable" with your primers. But in this case, it sounds like you waited just long enough for the problem to correct itself.

Green Frog
02-08-2023, 05:30 PM
Back in my PPC days when it was a truism that one needed Federal small pistol primers for our finely tuned S&W revolvers for reliable ignition, I was desperate and bought a thousand primers that had been in a flood. The old red cardboard sleeves had a sort of blistered look to theme. As you would expect, they wouldn’t work reliably if at all. In disgust I threw them on the shelf (not “away” as any normal person would have done!). Thirty years later I pulled them off the shelf and loaded a few in 9mm brass and tried them out. SUCCESS!. They did fine in my S&W 639. That $10-15 “mistake” is now worth about $100 or so. Life is good.

Froggie

hc18flyer
02-08-2023, 08:02 PM
Dang, I was hoping you could tell me how to get 'lucky'!

fredj338
02-10-2023, 04:08 PM
I never had issues with cci primers fitting. For lp, mostly used in 45acp, 45colt & 44mag. What brass were you having issues with?

GregLaROCHE
02-11-2023, 03:59 PM
At first I was thinking you put them in the bread dough.

centershot
02-12-2023, 01:37 PM
I never had issues with cci primers fitting. For lp, mostly used in 45acp, 45colt & 44mag. What brass were you having issues with?

They were W-W 44 mag cases that I'd had for a while. Any other brand would seat just fine, even CCI's of a different lot # would work fine, but not the ones in that box. They wouldn't seat in my 45 ACP or 45 Colt brass either. I tried them in some of the rifle of various calibers that I had on hand, no-go! I'm just grateful that they worked in that Privi brass!

centershot
02-12-2023, 01:39 PM
At first I was thinking you put them in the bread dough.

That might have been interesting when they got up to 350*F! LOL!

Silvercreek Farmer
02-12-2023, 04:14 PM
How do LRPs fit in that Privi Brass?