PDA

View Full Version : Can a Henry Single shot .357 be rechambered to .357 Max Safely?

Gray Fox
02-07-2023, 02:31 PM
There's a brass framed (colored?) Henry single shot in .357 mag for sale on a local board for $500. Is it possible to bore the chamber out to .357 Max and will the action be strong enough to handle hunting loads with a 200 grain boolit? Starline's even got the brass in stock today. GF

NSB
02-07-2023, 02:48 PM
It’s done all the time. Bellm advertises that service and he’s pretty much an expert on doing this rechambering job. I think it’s around eighty bucks. IIRC, he was having the guns shipped directly to him and then sending them back to the buyer to save on shipping. It’s a very simple job. I had a Win 1885 Low Wall done and I shot hundreds of rounds out of it with NO problems. Most companies use the same barrel blanks to make both the max and the mag.

megasupermagnum
02-09-2023, 11:15 PM
I would have no fear about the strength of the action at all. It handles 308 winchester without any problems, it's right up there with TC Encore strength. If you wait a little bit, I'd bet you can buy one brand new with the new 360 Buckhammer, unless you already are into the max.