PDA

View Full Version : Gas Check question

Jeffery8mm
02-05-2009, 11:24 AM
I have been using gas checks on my lee 150gr boolits for my 30-30. I crimp the check on by running the boolit through the lee .309 sizer. Does great!!!! BUT.....
I want to shoot some unsized but checked. I tried running the boolit through the sizer backwards just a bit, PAIN in the hiney!!
So here is my question: Last night i placed a boolit on the check and tapped it down with a small ball peen hammer. The bullet was placed on a towel to avoid any damage, not that I was hitting the check that hard. Now, if I stay above the shoulder of the case when I seat the boolit, shouldnt the check remain in place? What about a drop of super glue on the check?
I was hoping to just see if the unsized boolits shot any better/different.
Any thought are appreciated!!! Any experience with this??
Jeff

GP100man
02-05-2009, 12:05 PM
i tried it on 357 mag & the check swaged the brass out to the point the round did`nt chamber.
i now own 450s with a GCseater it allows ya to crimp on GCs without sizing the boolit.

GP100man:cbpour:

Jeffery8mm
02-05-2009, 09:41 PM
I havent thought about the check being too large. Will it matter that much in a bottleneck cartridge??
Jeff

Boerrancher
02-05-2009, 09:46 PM
I havent thought about the check being too large. Will it matter that much in a bottleneck cartridge??
Jeff

It will if it causes a bulge in the case neck, and it won't chamber.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe