PDA

View Full Version : Dogs do have facial expressions

Winger Ed.
02-05-2023, 02:15 AM
I've heard over and over dogs don't have facial expressions to convey their mood or more or less communicate
other than moving their ears.

I don't think that's true.
I tried to pull a fast one on newman yesterday, and it didn't work.

He constantly looks for pieces of paper or plastic to bring me so he can trade it for a doggie goodie.
Today I was working on something that had a little bag with screws.
I took out the screws, and sat the empty little bag down.
Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him slip up and grab it to turn in.

Anyway, yesterday, he came up some piece of a wrapper he'd found--- or had stolen, and brought it.
His bowl of goodies on the kitchen counter was empty, and I was too lazy to get more out of the freezer and refill it.
I thought he didn't see me do it, but I grabbed a piece of his regular dry dog food chunks, and gave one to him.

(He likes to catch them in the air)
The little beast spit it out!
Then gave me a look that said, 'No.... just no.... go get the real ones'.

deltaenterprizes
02-05-2023, 09:31 AM
Ha ha!
My little female boxer has many facial expressions!

T-Bird
02-05-2023, 09:57 AM
That's one reason dogs are perceived to be more "human" than cats by some people. Dogs can cut their eyes and cats can't, much more "expressive" to us.

jsizemore
02-05-2023, 10:11 AM
Newman looks like he's collected a pile of scraps.

compass will
02-05-2023, 10:42 AM
Our lab used to smile.

Rapier
02-05-2023, 10:43 AM
Cats and dogs both have expressions, unless you are just too unconscious to see the expressions. If you can not see danger signs in their expression, I feel very sorry for you, great way to get bit or clawed, or both.

Finster101
02-05-2023, 10:47 AM
One of my favorite local dive bars back in my bar hopping days was named "The Smiling Dog".

hoodat
02-05-2023, 10:57 AM
"You've gotta be kidding me!!??"

contender1
02-05-2023, 11:20 AM
All animals have expressions. My Dad returned from WWII with a monkey from his South pacific tour. That girl had MANY facial expressions that you'd better learn.
Our dogs & cats also have them. I like to tease my wife; "You just have to learn their language,, just like I had to learn Blondeze!"

Good Cheer
02-05-2023, 11:39 AM
Yep, they sure do.

https://i.imgur.com/4CRja3l.jpg

.429&H110
02-05-2023, 11:48 AM
We rescued an elderly toothless unhousebroken chihuahua last summer.
He had a broken jaw, for a lopsided smile.
Chico is delighted that he taught the dogfood lady to smile.

45DUDE
02-05-2023, 11:55 AM
I hate dogs

DougGuy
02-05-2023, 12:17 PM
This one's priceless, I can't find any other way to save it and post it you'll just have to watch it..

https://www.facebook.com/reel/724588099022391/?s=single_unit

MaryB
02-05-2023, 01:21 PM
Oreo was NOT impressed with me taking his picture

https://i.imgur.com/fi88yFb.jpg

Tigger on his blankie and content and smiling. He was the most expressive and doglike cat I have ever owned... would come when called, had to meet me at the door to sniff and see where I had been, even protected me when a drunk dude crashed a party and shoved me. He was screaming like a little girl by the time Tigger got done with his legs... needed stitches too... Another BBQ party a friend brought a guy I didn't really care for. He walked back and forth into the kitchen snacking and Tigger saw this. He jumped up on the speaker by the doorway, setup his perch, looked behind him and adjusted his getaway... after shifting 4 times I had pointed to friends and mouthed "watch this". Guy went to get more food and Tigger slapped him upside the head full force and he could hit HARD being a 25 pound all muscle kitty. SLAP then Tigger bolted down his escape route out of reach of the guy LOL I swear that cat was laughing as hard as we were!

https://i.imgur.com/aLlLHNv.jpg

OS OK
02-05-2023, 01:58 PM
I see guilt written all over their faces. Baby Girl was the culprit & her big brother Bubbie could sense there was trouble in the air!

https://i.imgur.com/Zr3Rd4D.jpg?2

Winger Ed.
02-05-2023, 01:58 PM
Oreo was NOT impressed with me taking his picture

Wow! That's grumpy cat! He's famous.

He wears that expression for everything.

firefly1957
02-05-2023, 08:20 PM
Most dogs and cat I have known have facial expressions some even have a sense of humor .

William Yanda
02-07-2023, 09:37 AM
I used to visit a farm where the Irish Setter would guard the milk dish from the cats. On the side visible to humans he was smiling, the other side of his face was telling the cats: Don't even think about it.

Brokenbear
02-11-2023, 11:07 PM
Yes ..well you should see the expression my Chesapeake Bay retriever gives me when I miss a duck or goose just over the decoys !!

Or even better when I wing one he has to work his butt off for ..not only a look that would wilt a cactus but he will come over to me to shake off all the water!! ..then the real krap face he gives me when I do not shoot immediately with ducks landing waiting for more ducks to pile in or if there are too many ducks that would get educated to shoot ..

You bet they can communicate

Bear

beemer
02-12-2023, 10:42 AM
Anyone who doesn't think dogs and cats have expressions, emotions and personalities have never spent much time living with them. They will communicate with you, you just have to learn to listen.
Our two dogs are part of our family.

Dave

jsizemore
02-12-2023, 11:24 AM
I used to be the guy that wore the suit when we did protection dog training. I'd show up a little early to get ready, and the owner's GSD would greet me at the gate. I wouldn't be wearing any equipment at the time. Rowdy knew what was up. His tail would be swishing slowly back and forth and his eyes and mouth were both grinning. I'd look him in the eyes and I'd grin too. We knew we were both about to have some fun.

OS OK
02-12-2023, 12:06 PM
I used to be the guy that wore the suit when we did protection dog training. I'd show up a little early to get ready, and the owner's GSD would greet me at the gate. I wouldn't be wearing any equipment at the time. Rowdy knew what was up. His tail would be swishing slowly back and forth and his eyes and mouth were both grinning. I'd look him in the eyes and I'd grin too. We knew we were both about to have some fun.

You should change your forum name to..."CHEW'TOY" ! :bigsmyl2: