PDA

View Full Version : Tool I’d Like to Have (3D Made)

Castaway
02-03-2023, 06:35 PM
This is one for the 3D print geniuses out there. I’ve found when I load 45 Colt with black powder, I prefer using a Lee Lee Loader. I set all cases in a loading block and using the belling tool and non-rebounding hammer, I can bell 50 cases in less than a minute. Afterwards, I prime with a priming tool. If at that point there was a 3 D designed loading block just over rim size, loading becomes fast. At the bottom of the loading block, a center hole, bigger than primer diameter would be “cut” like the Lee Decapping Chamber tool. Now, moving a dipper down the line, cases are filled. This next step is where the 3 D tool would come into play. Bullets could then be seated with the Lee tool, going down the row of cases in the improved loading block, and then crimped in the same manner, all without removing each case from the block to do the two operations of seating and crimping. Of course, it would work for any caliber loadable with a Lee Loader and I suspect even faster than using a press

gloob
02-06-2023, 05:00 PM
What's the "hole bigger than the diameter of a primer" for? Is that so you could deprime while in the block? But don't you have to take them out to put the new primer in?

I use the plastic tray out of factory ammo as reloading blocks. For the shorter cases, I cut them down shorter with a bandsaw. Then they warp and won't stay flat, and I need them flat and stable for the way I load.

So I take a plate of steel in a vice, so I can shoot it with a torch from the bottom. Then apply hot glue and put the plastic tray on top with some weights. After it cools, it's flat and rigid.

Castaway
02-06-2023, 08:28 PM
The hole is for safety and my peace of mind. I know if the primer is seated correctly, there’s not an issue, but when I bang the seating stem or crimping tool down on the case, I don’t want anything in contact with the primer to set it off. Your idea is good to have the block at least a primer tall and decapping would be as fast as belling. With black powder, I decal at the range and dump cases in water with Dawn. Gloob, thanks for the idea. All I need now is a 3D printer

tward
02-08-2023, 12:47 AM
Some local libraries now have 3d printers for use by patrons. Just a thought, I like your idea. Tim

flemdoug
02-08-2023, 08:43 AM
If this is what you had in mind, I can send you the file so you can find someone to print it for you or as the previous poster mentioned check your local library. Also, some colleges provide access to 3D printing resources. As a reference, this is about a 5 hour print on one of my printers. If those options don't work, pm me, we can work something out that I could print it for you.

Castaway
02-08-2023, 08:23 PM
Exactly. PM follows. Thank you

flemdoug
02-08-2023, 09:11 PM
I received an email from you, but my response bounced to the email address you have on file with you Castboolits account. I will leave my reply in your Castboolits inbox.

mf79
02-13-2023, 08:44 PM
if you dont have or want to 3d print you can do what I did for shell holder for 25 auto, got plexiglass and drilled 50 holes in it and glued it to another for the bottom, you can drill smaller holes in bottom one for primer and if you use multiple layers of it you can get it thick enough to hold up the brass.

MGySgt
02-14-2023, 01:32 PM
You could use hardwood, like oak, it would probably hold up for many loadings