PDA

View Full Version : Major boo boo charged 135 gr with 115 gr loading of titegroup

Crash_Corrigan
02-03-2023, 09:37 AM
Well the old fart did it again. Rember I am the guy who cast his boolits without use of handles on lee 6 bangers?

I recently bought a new 9mm and I needed ammo. I end up loading about 150 rounds of 135 gr copper washed fn .355 boolits with 5.0 grs of Titegroup. This is the correct loading for 115 gr copper washed rn ammo not 135 gr. The question is do I shoot these in my least favorite 9mm a Sig Sauer P2022 or maybe in my Ruger Blackhawk 9 MM cylinder or do I pull all these loads or trash them? I am not about to use them in my new S&W Shield 2.0 ez ct or my beloved Browning or my EAA Witness Match Elite.

What else can I do to screw up my life?

Green Frog
02-03-2023, 10:02 AM
I don’t have a firearm, nor a hand, nor eyes I hold in such low regard. I would pull them without a moment’s thought otherwise.

But it’s not my circus, not my monkeys, so you can do what you want!

Froggie

Silvercreek Farmer
02-03-2023, 10:14 AM
You could probably have them all pulled in about 30 min with an inertia puller.

BP Dave
02-03-2023, 10:28 AM
Sounds like pulling the bullets would take a lot less time than learning to do everything left-handed.

Sasquatch-1
02-03-2023, 10:34 AM
I'd pull 'em. I loaded some .44 mags to max load, 9.2 grains of Titegroup for a 240 grn bullet. I loaded (without realizing it) with a 250 grn bullet. Luckily I was using a Super Redhawk. I had to knock the cases out of the cylinder with a piece of cleaning rod and a hammer.

The same bullets loaded down to 9 grains worked fine.

contender1
02-03-2023, 10:35 AM
While the Ruger would likely be up to the task,, I would NOT chance it.

I'd pull the bullets & start over.

PS; I've seen personally what happens when there's been an overcharge of a 9mm. When it blew the gun, it did injure the shooters hand. He is a welder by trade & it could have ruined his livelihood.

PULL THEM!!!!!!!

Hondolane
02-03-2023, 10:38 AM
A few minutes of prevention versus a lifetime of regret.

tja6435
02-03-2023, 10:42 AM
Hodgdon says 3.8gr Titegroup is the max load with a 135gr bullet in 9mm. I’d pull them

Finster101
02-03-2023, 10:45 AM
I do not think I would shoot them.

georgerkahn
02-03-2023, 11:20 AM
Well the old fart did it again. Rember I am the guy who cast his boolits without use of handles on lee 6 bangers?

I recently bought a new 9mm and I needed ammo. I end up loading about 150 rounds of 135 gr copper washed fn .355 boolits with 5.0 grs of Titegroup. This is the correct loading for 115 gr copper washed rn ammo not 135 gr. The question is do I shoot these in my least favorite 9mm a Sig Sauer P2022 or maybe in my Ruger Blackhawk 9 MM cylinder or do I pull all these loads or trash them? I am not about to use them in my new S&W Shield 2.0 ez ct or my beloved Browning or my EAA Witness Match Elite.

What else can I do to screw up my life?

Green Frog (Post #2) said it ALL! A fellow (Jim) had a gorgeous Colt SAA and had run out of BP; he "did the math" and subbed smokeless -- I do not recall the powder or charge -- but the 1st shot at range split its barrel better than a Plasma cutter may have done. He was MOST lucky still having two working eyes and five fingers on his right hand -- 'cept he was bruised/hurting for quite the while (months!) after. ((Hard to believe (maybe?) he had loaded up a box of fifty, and actually tried selling the remaining 49 rounds... ))
Again, "Froggie" said it all!
geo

Bmi48219
02-03-2023, 11:33 AM
In my book, 5 grs TG under a 115 gr bullet is well into 9mm +p+ range.
Pull them down and chalk it up to experience.

Winger Ed.
02-03-2023, 12:26 PM
Anyone that can use a 6 hole Lee without handles probably doesn't need any advice from me.
You, and Chuck Norris are probably the only two people that can do that.

However;
Having had to 'unload' more than one batch with an inertia puller---
(the last time was when a electronic scale lied to me and I under charged 250 rounds of .223s)
I can tell ya it doesn't take long, and you'll be glad you did.

Do it carefully on a clean bench, and you can salvage the primed cases, powder, and maybe the boolits.
All you've really lost is a little bit of time.

Kosh75287
02-03-2023, 12:30 PM
I agree. Pull them.

Crash_Corrigan
02-03-2023, 12:59 PM
OK y'all made me a believer. It really smarts since almost all of my reloading stuff is in a storage unit. Alll I had left was a rockchucker.

I had to buy the following: powder funnel, powder dispenser, powder dispenser stand, set of Lee 9 MM dies, cheap electronic scale, loading trays, 8 lbs Titegroup powder, lee bench mounted hand primer tool, lee factory crimp die in 9 mm, 9 mm case gauge, 500 135 gr fn j-words, 1000 cleaned and sized 9 mm cases, a DeWalt cordless drill w/bits to mount the priming tool and the powder measure to my bench.

I have about 8,000 small primers on hand. Some where in that storage unit is a Dillon primer pocket swaging tool along with my Lee lead furnace and about 2,000 cast lead 9 mm boolits that have been coated with that melt on gooey paint.

It is really slow to asemble loaded rounds with a single stage press after having used a Dillon XL 650 for that purpose.

I have reached 80 years and my energy levels have really dropped a bunch over the last 5 years. COPD does not help much and I must plan my activities with plenty of rest breaks about every 10 minutes. Getting old ain't much fun any more.

Winger Ed.
02-03-2023, 01:03 PM
I'm only 68, and tell people all the time that getting old isn't for the meek or faint of heart.

By the way---- it was a cheap electronic scale that lied to me and caused me to pull right at 250 of .223s.
I have also learned that banging the puller on a concrete floor works much faster than hitting it on the bench.

And look on the bright side-
Pulling boolits and that single stage press will help keep you out of those crooked BINGO parlors.

Silvercreek Farmer
02-03-2023, 01:15 PM
OK y'all made me a believer. It really smarts since almost all of my reloading stuff is in a storage unit. Alll I had left was a rockchucker.

I had to buy the following: powder funnel, powder dispenser, powder dispenser stand, set of Lee 9 MM dies, cheap electronic scale, loading trays, 8 lbs Titegroup powder, lee bench mounted hand primer tool, lee factory crimp die in 9 mm, 9 mm case gauge, 500 135 gr fn j-words, 1000 cleaned and sized 9 mm cases, a DeWalt cordless drill w/bits to mount the priming tool and the powder measure to my bench.

I have about 8,000 small primers on hand. Some where in that storage unit is a Dillon primer pocket swaging tool along with my Lee lead furnace and about 2,000 cast lead 9 mm boolits that have been coated with that melt on gooey paint.

It is really slow to asemble loaded rounds with a single stage press after having used a Dillon XL 650 for that purpose.

I have reached 80 years and my energy levels have really dropped a bunch over the last 5 years. COPD does not help much and I must plan my activities with plenty of rest breaks about every 10 minutes. Getting old ain't much fun any more.

Sell the primers and buy loaded jacketed ammo. 9mm is back down to reasonable levels. As much as I love loading my own, I know there will be a day when I am done. Same with splitting wood.

dverna
02-03-2023, 02:21 PM
Your starting load of 5.0 gr is over maximum for a 115 gr 9mm load. Data from the Hodgdon site.

You should rethink your approach to loading. There is little to be gained from pushing the envelope.

I hear you about getting old. I have a new press to wring out and am struggling to lift my right arm. I have the shakes...and I am only 72. Need surgery but trying to see if the chiropractor can help out first.

Hang in there as long as you can, but there comes a time we need to accept reality. Be safe!

El Bibliotecario
02-03-2023, 02:37 PM
I have also learned that banging the puller on a concrete floor works much faster than hitting it on the bench.

Applying this logic led to destroying my inertial bullet puller by banging it on the top of a vise.

This suggests a whole new thread comparing the relative mass of wood, concrete, steel, and other hard materials to determine the optimum hardness to expedite use of an inertial puller and still keep it intact.:idea:

Hondolane
02-03-2023, 03:11 PM
Applying this logic led to destroying my inertial bullet puller by banging it on the top of a vise.

This suggests a whole new thread comparing the relative mass of wood, concrete, steel, and other hard materials to determine the optimum hardness to expedite use of an inertial puller and still keep it intact.:idea:

Gotta say I still use the vise. Have a puller that's lasted this time about 8 years, so I get my use out of it.

tja6435
02-03-2023, 03:23 PM
I have had poor results with the inertia (hammer style) pullers. I have found the RCBS collet puller to be much easier, way faster and about silent.

JoeJames
02-03-2023, 03:37 PM
I use a solid block of limestone with my inertia puller. I am 71. I got to use the inertia puller two years ago when I used an orange can of old Dupont 4831 instead of an orange can of old 3031 when reloading 223 rounds. Fortunately I had only loaded 20 rounds.

Winger Ed.
02-03-2023, 03:38 PM

I've gorilla fisted a few things that way too.
The secret technique to not destroying it is all in the wrist.

missionary5155
02-03-2023, 03:51 PM
We use the end cut of a 4" well dried oak type post.
Hey Crash... we all goof sometimes. Thanks to God you caught it and asked !
I still like your seat Holster and what rides along in it.

Sasquatch-1
02-04-2023, 09:02 AM
I use a full-size loaf pan lead ingot with my RCBS puller. I have broken the screw-on end cap once and RCBS happily replaced it and apologized for it breaking.

gwpercle
02-04-2023, 11:27 AM
I'm glad you caught the over charged ammo ... ATTABOY !

When reloading ... Slow and Careful beats Fast and Reckless seven ways to Sunday .

I kinda like Slow and Careful and the older I get ... the slower and more Careful I have to be !

So slow down , be careful and load safe ,
Gary

Gray Fox
02-04-2023, 12:21 PM
I may have an unofficial record for pulling rounds down with a kinetic hammer. I bought a Mec-tech .460 Rowland 1911 upper from a son who was getting rid of his deceased father's guns and reloading gear. It came with 600 rounds of boxed new component loads. He said his father was in his 70s when he loaded them five years earlier, but that the father's memory had been failing and he thought the loads might be suspect. The data shown on the box labels put them at the max of listed loads for the 185 grain Barnes JHP bullets. Over a three-week period, I pulled them all down in batches using a seasoned oak log round to hit with the hammer. The hammer still works, but I had to replace the collet O ring a couple of times. Since then, I've been resizing the brass with a sizing die minus the depriming stem. Just the primed brass and the 600 Barnes HPs are worth quite a bit these days.

I've also had to do the same process with a couple hundred rounds of "+P+" 115 grain JHP 9mm handloads I was given. Very early during the first process I found a pair of my old padded fingerless weight lifting gloves that helped keep my right hand from self-destructing. BTW, I'm in my mid-70s and my right arm still works after these exercises. GF

Winger Ed.
02-04-2023, 12:37 PM
The hammer still works, but I had to replace the collet O ring a couple of times.F

I got frustrated with the 3 piece, O ring thing and use a single stage shell holder.

HumptyDumpty
02-04-2023, 12:48 PM
PCC and open-bolt sub-machineguns are greats tools for disposing of spicy pistol rounds, in my experience.

georgerkahn
02-04-2023, 01:18 PM
I have had poor results with the inertia (hammer style) pullers. I have found the RCBS collet puller to be much easier, way faster and about silent.

My ONLY real dis-like with the Inertia pullers is ALL dumps. And, that (for me) means powder stuck to lube on bullets. I use both the RCBS collet-type pullers as well as a Brass Grip'r product which is like a pliers placed on bullet to be removed -- having been placed in press -- with the press handle then moved to pull bullet. In both -- the powder stays dry, together, and imho re-usable.310121
geo

higgins
02-04-2023, 05:53 PM
Pull the bullets, which should be just a couple of blows with an inertia puller. Reuse the primed cases and powder. I've pulled a lot of plated 9mm bullets from loaded rounds picked up at the range and the bullet condition varies from non-reloadable to OK depending largely on the amount of crimp applied. I've reloaded many of them for playing around loads.

Bmi48219
02-04-2023, 09:20 PM
I come across lots of suspect ammo. It goes in a one pound coffee can marked “2 pull”. When the can gets near full, and the wife is out for a few hours, I pull them for the components. If they are tightly crimped loads I’ve found tapping the projectile into the case a mil or two will loosen the crimp. Then the kinetic puller does the rest.

brassrat
02-05-2023, 12:25 PM
I dont use it a lot but when I do I hold a chunk of lead and hit with the other. Or leave the lead on bench.

MostlyLeverGuns
02-05-2023, 12:45 PM
Extended shellholder in loading press, pair of sidecutter pliers or farrier nippers to pull. I have used many bullets pulled this way at ranges under 100 yards without hurting accuracy. Two little nicks on bullet if done carefully. I have an inertia puller (RCBS?), do not use it, too slow, too much pounding.