PDA

View Full Version : Removal of old BP Charge?

36g
02-03-2023, 12:37 AM
I just received a vintage BP percussion musket. Happy with the purchase but have a bit of a problem. The first thing that I checked upon delivery was the bore length to the vent hole using the ramrod as a gauge. Guess what? There is a powder charge in it. I've removed the plug of tow along with a few pieces of shot and there is a second cloth appearing wad (I'm using a screw type ball/wad removal attachment on a synthetic ramrod). I've gotten to the powder charge and have broken the top layer up and removed it but the screw doesn't appear to be working very well now - can't seem to get it to screw into the powder. I know BP is a mixture that includes potassium nitrate and it should be water soluble. Would something like Ballistol 2:1 with water work to soften the plug?

M-Tecs
02-03-2023, 12:48 AM
Water does not break BP down. BP that has been underwater for a very long time can be dried and used. If the ball or shot has been removed any reason to not just fire it?

megasupermagnum
02-03-2023, 12:56 AM
If I was you, I would seat a felt wad or similar on top of the powder, and shoot it. If for whatever reason it doesn't go off, then another tool you can try is a breech face scraper, AKA fouling scraper. It will chew up powder well enough for you to get it out. If you are anywhere in central MN, Elk River has this amazing place that you can buy anything you could ever want.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/Item.aspx/579/1

hiram
02-03-2023, 01:07 AM
HOT water

Winger Ed.
02-03-2023, 01:08 AM
Without the ball, there shouldn't be some over pressure problem if the BP was ignited.
I'd shoot it.

36g
02-03-2023, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the info! I have scoped the bore and noted some pitting just in front of the powder charge. By vintage I mean possibly mid 1800's. I am a bit hesitant to fire it not knowing if what I have found is the only charge in it. A double charge might not fare well.

I'm well aware of Track - I've ordered from them multiple times and stopped by their shop a couple of times when in the area. I do have a breech face scraper and will give that a try.

M-Tecs
02-03-2023, 01:30 AM
Using a grease gun is an option also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlVXUVUcn2k

Brimstone
02-03-2023, 02:20 AM
Water will reduce it to sludge in a short time. Pour it down, let stand a bit and you should be good to go.

36g
02-03-2023, 02:36 AM
Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

I was able to break up the charge with a worm and then scrubbed a bit with a bore brush. Still don't know if the vent hole is open - will have to put a cap on and see if it fires through. May follow that up with a powder charge and wad just to loosen up anything that may be in there and then do a thorough cleaning. It needs a little repair work on the lock as the front of the hammer is eaten away a bit and the lock up could be a bit more positive. We'll see how that goes once I pull the sideplate off.

Sasquatch-1
02-03-2023, 10:50 AM
If you are concerned about shooting the charge out, get a patch puller. Either the corkscrew style or the little wire style. A breech scraper should work also. Looks like a flathead screwdriver bit.

45workhorse
02-03-2023, 11:47 PM
https://logcabinshop.com/oc30/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=24787

CO2 DISCHARGER/ UNLOADER

GregLaROCHE
02-04-2023, 02:25 AM
There’s always removing the breech plug, but that can be a big job if it hasn’t been removed for many years.