As I have a friend that tans the hides for me
So I can cut the hides into strips for flies

Practiced head shots to save holes in the body

So I have some red squirrel in the freezer

I have tried deep frying whole red squirrel ... good
I also just finished a red squirrel stew ... needed more spices
Where I removed the ribs and cut them in 1/2
Adding the normal what ever I had to the stew to clean the fridge

Any other suggestions as to good ways to cook them up ?

John

Bazoo
02-02-2023, 11:39 PM
I like squirrel soup. Boil the critter, then debone. Add potatoes, onion, bit of celery if ya like it. Salt and pepper.

Winger Ed.
02-02-2023, 11:52 PM
They are good.
Our country considers them a game animal and has a rather short season with bag limits on them.

I've known guys from Louisiana that say to just use your favorite possum or raccoon recipes for them.

BLAHUT
02-02-2023, 11:52 PM
The native American's here in Minnesota, would hunt the red squirrels to make gloves out of them...

Johnch
02-03-2023, 03:35 AM
They are good.
Our country considers them a game animal and has a rather short season with bag limits on them.

I've known guys from Louisiana that say to just use your favorite possum or raccoon recipes for them.

Here in Ohio
Squirrel season is Sept 1 to Jan 31
Fox , Gray or Red squirrel the limit is 6 a day
So if you have the time and want them
You can hunt them for 5 months

John

Outer Rondacker
02-03-2023, 06:33 AM
GRAY, BLACK & FOX SQUIRREL HUNTING
Daily bag limit of 6 total, regardless of species.
Hunting Hours: Sunrise to Sunset
New York: Sept. 1 – Feb. 28

Red squirrels are unprotected, and may be hunted at any time without limit!

So for almost three months of the season on Greys there is snow on the ground and they are not coming out of the nests. Ya good planning NY.

I blast the reds whenever I see one on my property since they get into everything and destroy its wires.

MaryB
02-03-2023, 03:09 PM
Not much meat on the little reds, takes 2 to feed 1 person...

I always went after the big fox and gray squirrels. A fox squirrel made 2 meals if I made soup, stew, chili, gumbo, etc etc etc etc etc any dish where you can use chicken sub squirrel! If it is a short cook time it helps to parboil or pressure cook first to get them tender

T-Bird
02-05-2023, 09:44 AM
young ones can be seasoned, cut up, rolled in seasoned flour, and deep fried. Older ones can be seasoned, floured, browned in a skillet, then simmered in chicken stock, covered, with onions and garlic till tender. Most meat is on the back and hind legs. I love'em. My wife.....not so much! Served with grits and biscuits.