PDA

View Full Version : the propane store visit

farmbif
02-02-2023, 05:37 PM
WOW, $95 to refill a 100 lb propane tank and that includes the Tennessee propane discount for heat. last time I had a tank filled it was I believe in July or august and the cost about $75. everyone is feeling a financial pinch. every time ive gone there I always ask if they have an old tank I can use to make a large bar b sue smoker with and today they told me they used to scrap or give away large propane tanks that were no longer good and now they send them out to be reconditioned. the only deal was on a real nice pair of all leather Tillman work gloves for $10 at the place I go that also sells welding gasses and supplies.

Winger Ed.
02-02-2023, 05:42 PM
I never really paid attention to all the gory details,
but have found the price of propane when converted from pounds to gallons
pretty much tracks along with the price of gasoline & Diesel fuel.

Handloader109
02-02-2023, 06:52 PM
Yeah it has been that around here since early last summer....no discounts at all

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

d4xycrq
02-02-2023, 08:17 PM
Just had a buried tank filled. $1.99/gallon. SE PA.

Gator 45/70
02-02-2023, 08:19 PM
3.69 per gallon at the local tractor supply

rancher1913
02-02-2023, 08:56 PM
over the years i have bought tanks as i could afford them and currently have enough capacity to last over 2 years at my normal use rate, i could conserve if it got real bad and stretch it to 3 plus years. get everything toped off in the summer, have 2 tanks with wet legs for filling smaller tanks as needed. best investment i have made.

Bad Ass Wallace
02-02-2023, 10:55 PM
Last gas tank (100lbs) that I purchased was $AU196 so don't complain.

Winger Ed.
02-02-2023, 10:57 PM
Last gas tank (100lbs) that I purchased was $AU196 so don't complain.

Hey, complaining is one of our last, untouched, inalienable rights!

rockrat
02-02-2023, 11:11 PM
I paid $2.68 on our pre-buy, so your $1.99 is pretty cheap. Wish I had another 500 gal or a 1K gallon tank

Outer Rondacker
02-03-2023, 06:49 AM
Working on installing a brand new fancy zero clearance wood stove because of the price the neighbor paid on last fill up. I paid 2.09 in September and he paid 4.29 one month later. So I figured we needed a backup. Should have remembered my age I'm getting to old to do this stuff myself. Oh well we will be burning wood next year if the price is out of control.

rancher1913
02-03-2023, 09:17 AM
problem is unless you have your own wood lot, the price of wood is almost as much as propane, at least around here because there are not many trees on the great plains.

yovinny
02-03-2023, 09:21 AM
Care to share your supplier info ?
Im also in SE PA and the cheapest price I've found anywhere is $3.12

georgerkahn
02-03-2023, 09:27 AM
WOW, $95 to refill a 100 lb propane tank and that includes the Tennessee propane discount for heat. last time I had a tank filled it was I believe in July or august and the cost about $75. everyone is feeling a financial pinch. every time ive gone there I always ask if they have an old tank I can use to make a large bar b sue smoker with and today they told me they used to scrap or give away large propane tanks that were no longer good and now they send them out to be reconditioned. the only deal was on a real nice pair of all leather Tillman work gloves for $10 at the place I go that also sells welding gasses and supplies.

In my locale LP is sold by the pound and priced by the gallon...figure?...which, when I had a 20lb tank filled a couple of weeks ago was at $3.499 per US gallon. (The top-off fill total cost me $18.75 USD -- I have an LP generator and wished tanks to be full -- Murphy Law, I won't need it ;))
Anyhoo -- there's a nifty pricing chart at https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_wfr_a_EPLLPA_PRS_dpgal_w.htm if you have interest.
geo

DCB
02-03-2023, 09:42 AM
$30 to fill a 20# tank. 500gal tank at 40% last spring cost $3.35 a gal.. Month later they sent me a flyer for $1.69 per gal. MAD.
called and complained and the sent me a $25 coupon. I know what they can do with it!
Just got a flyer for $1.89 I am still over 50% full. Should keep me in hotwater and cooking stove till late summer or early fall.
I got a truck load of logs last spring. I got 7 and 1/2 cords of fire wood from it. $700. should get over 2 winters out of it.

Outer Rondacker
02-03-2023, 02:53 PM
Lucky enough to own a small mountain that is wooded. If I ever run out the one next to me is wooded too and so on.

MaryB
02-03-2023, 03:12 PM
Until Biden bans wood burning...

tja6435
02-03-2023, 03:19 PM
I just had my 100# tank filled and it was just under $59 at $2.45/gallon. I have our delivery guy fill the 100# tank when he fills our 500 gallon tank. Last fall I was able to get propane delivered for $1.89/gal and that guy will also fill the 100# tanks. (I use 2 different propane companies)

deces
02-03-2023, 03:25 PM
I guess we should blame Russia for forcing our government to ship all the LNG to Germany and the rest of Europe, right? Of course that all of this after we blew up Nordstream 2.[smilie=1:
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/germany-open-idea-west-behind-nord-stream-sabotage-aim-blaming-it-russia

hoodat
02-03-2023, 03:32 PM
Let me know if I'm mistook, but isn't the 100 LB tank pretty much 20 gal.?? jd

BrassMagnet
02-03-2023, 03:46 PM
Is it possible the major price differences are due to the difference in retail and wholesale prices.
I have been told if you have propane delivered to your house to fill a large tank it is wholesale and if you take a small tank (20, 30, 100#) in to be filled it is retail. I am new to this game so please show some mercy!

beemer
02-03-2023, 03:53 PM
I quit propane about 10 years ago. The company sold out and the new owners were crazy. Trying to talk to then was like trying to talk to a politician, just gibberish. Had a wall heater that I rarely used, water heater and cook stove. I was on a monthly payment plan, my bill ran $60 to $70 a month. They filled up my Mothers tank at $2.75, my brother at $2.50 and mine at $4.20 per gallon. Switched over to a electric water heater, cook stove and a Duraflame electric heater. When I told them to come and get their tank they told me I would be sorry. The electric bill went up $20 a month.

Rapier
02-03-2023, 06:08 PM
Propane is a petroleum product, LP. So as goes oil, so goes Propane and also natural gas, methane, found next to oil in the ground, Duh.

Well if you build new today, closed foam exterior walls, roof, open cell interior walls for noise reduction, fiberglass solid core exterior doors, PVC framed windows 2 inch thick, insulated. Do yourself a favor, run vapor gas for heat, whole house generator, cooking, tankless water heaters, and clothes dryer. Next car you buy should be a whole house generator, at 110% of need, seriously, do not get caught without power again.

Go to a Pure Washing system, uses 110 plug in power and cold water to cold water inlet, to produce cold water only ozone to wash clothes, all colors, one load, push one button, no soap, no phosphates and no bleach, done, and done no by-product, only pure water. You have a septic system, how simple is that for a decision.

We have two 1,000 gallon Propane tanks, I bought, I had painted, I installed. Since I own them, I fill from from the cheapest place, each year. Have a list on my phone, click, I need a price on 1,000 gallons delivered to....how hard is that. I have 150 to 125% of annual need, so if the price is going down, I wait, if going up, I buy. And I buy once a year at the lowest price. I am a Scott, we be notorious for being thrifty.

My prior electric bill was $400 for one 3,500 ft structure, now with three structures, 6,000 ft, the combined bill is half the old bill. Electric Co and Joe may put that in their pipe and smoke it.

MaryB
02-04-2023, 01:24 PM
Propane is a petroleum product, LP. So as goes oil, so goes Propane and also natural gas, methane, found next to oil in the ground, Duh.

Well if you build new today, closed foam exterior walls, roof, open cell interior walls for noise reduction, fiberglass solid core exterior doors, PVC framed windows 2 inch thick, insulated. Do yourself a favor, run vapor gas for heat, whole house generator, cooking, tankless water heaters, and clothes dryer. Next car you buy should be a whole house generator, at 110% of need, seriously, do not get caught without power again.

Go to a Pure Washing system, uses 110 plug in power and cold water to cold water inlet, to produce cold water only ozone to wash clothes, all colors, one load, push one button, no soap, no phosphates and no bleach, done, and done no by-product, only pure water. You have a septic system, how simple is that for a decision.

We have two 1,000 gallon Propane tanks, I bought, I had painted, I installed. Since I own them, I fill from from the cheapest place, each year. Have a list on my phone, click, I need a price on 1,000 gallons delivered to....how hard is that. I have 150 to 125% of annual need, so if the price is going down, I wait, if going up, I buy. And I buy once a year at the lowest price. I am a Scott, we be notorious for being thrifty.

My prior electric bill was $400 for one 3,500 ft structure, now with three structures, 6,000 ft, the combined bill is half the old bill. Electric Co and Joe may put that in their pipe and smoke it.

My water is coming into the house at 42 degrees right now, on demand systems can't get it hot enough... I like a HOT shower, not a shower that is barely warm like my sisters house with on demand water heaters.

rancher1913
02-04-2023, 01:55 PM
tankless heaters only work in certain areas of the country, if you have hard water they will be a maintenance nightmare and a constant drain on your wallet. my gas tank style water heater uses no electricity so unlike the tankless it stills makes hot water when the power is out(sometimes city water can be a good thing to have)

HWooldridge
02-04-2023, 02:50 PM
The single best improvement anyone can do for energy conservation is to spend money on good insulation. We have a 12,000 sf production building where I work, and we sprayed 4” of closed cell foam insulation on the interior when we remodeled it eight years ago. Even in the coldest winters, which aren’t terrible here but can easily go a week or more in the low 30’s, the heat from the machine motors and the human load will keep the inside temperature in the mid-70’s to low 80’s - we often have to turn on the roof fans to keep it comfortable. We don’t work on Sundays but the workers can go home on Saturday and come in Monday morning with only a loss of a few degrees. Of course, the slab is a heat sink and helps even out the swings but regardless, I’ve always been amazed how well spray type insulation works. We had a cold snap two years ago that put us in single digits for four days and in the 20’s for a week - the shop was unoccupied the entire time and only sank into the low 50’s.

The best thing we did in our home was to install high quality double windows, which has not only saved money but also balances the highs and lows - so our overall comfort has improved.

Strummer
02-04-2023, 08:58 PM
I propane delivered last week . Was 2.80 a gallon . Was going to get a bottle filled today 2.99 a lb . They was out of propane.

varmintpopper
02-04-2023, 09:58 PM
Propane weight per Gallon= 4.2 pounds U.S.

Good Shooting

Lindy

MUSTANG
02-05-2023, 12:36 PM
Wow - I was in Cabellas last week and they had Green Bottle (16 Oz) propane for $6.99 per bottle. That translates to $29.35 per gallon!! No wonder I refill the Green Bottles from a 5 Gallon Propane Jug using an adapter I bought several years ago (At Cabellas of all places before Bass Pro bought them).

MT Gianni
02-06-2023, 03:38 PM
I had my tank filled last month for $2.59 a gallon, 320 gallons to 80%. Last August gasoline was nearly $4.00 and LP was $2.01. I only use it for heat, cooking, clothes drying, barbecues and processing ww. My electric went up $25 a month from the last rate increase. The only thing that isn't up is stock market returns.

shooterg
02-06-2023, 03:45 PM
Working on installing a brand new fancy zero clearance wood stove because of the price the neighbor paid on last fill up. I paid 2.09 in September and he paid 4.29 one month later. So I figured we needed a backup. Should have remembered my age I'm getting to old to do this stuff myself. Oh well we will be burning wood next year if the price is out of control.

And the crazies want to ban wood burners too !

tinsnips
02-06-2023, 07:09 PM
We use 100lb lp bottles for our constuction heaters fill cost three dollars a gallon. Sometimes a bottle only last for a day still way cheaper than running our electric work heaters.

Outer Rondacker
02-06-2023, 08:28 PM
And the crazies want to ban wood burners too !

Anything that makes you self sufficient they want to ban. I just heard a few days ago they are now after my propane cook stove. I am the last house on the grid in the mountains. Power goes out it stays out for a long time. Wood and propane keep me alive. Other day it was neg 26 without the wind chill. Lets see electric keep me warm in that.

MarkP
02-07-2023, 12:04 AM
There is a biomass credit if it meets efficiency. WAS 26% now 23%. Includes price of stove, supplies, and labor costs. Trump signed it end of 2020.

.429&H110
02-11-2023, 02:21 PM
USCSB on utube details four people killed by incompetence & propane
"CSB Safety video: Half an hour to tragedy"
A fireman and an EMT were killed.
It's a good look at a liquid withdrawal valve and awesome incompetence.
All the kid had to do was screw his adaptor on the blowing hole.
Needed safety glasses, gloves and practice...
ALL liquid withdrawal valves leak by, more or less.
Removing liquid is how you empty big tanks to move them.
Go gas, go boom.

elmacgyver0
02-11-2023, 02:54 PM
Go green go broke.

MUSTANG
02-11-2023, 03:22 PM
There is a biomass credit if it meets efficiency. WAS 26% now 23%. Includes price of stove, supplies, and labor costs. Trump signed it end of 2020.

Both the Moapa and the Kalispell houses are on Septic Tank Systems. The Bio-Gas issue had enthralled me for years; so I looked into it. It is "Feasible" to extract the Methane from Home Septic Tank System and use it for cooking and other "Gas" requirements. What stopped me from pursuing other than a "Hobby Science" pursuit was that the gas pressure developed was only going to be about 1/10 PSI over ambient pressure; where as Commercial Natural Gas is delivered at about 1/4 PSI above ambient. This would mean one would have to pressurize it to use on existing Gas Appliances - requiring fuel to compress the gas. The system would not generate sufficient Gas to actually meet cooking and heating requirements - so I abandon the idea. (Gas generation and Heat from BioGas formation can be seen in the Montana House back yard where the septic Tank is located. There is currently 1-2 Inches of snow on the septic tank; whereas the area around it has 2 to 2.5 feet of snow on the ground currently.

It's kind of like Solar Panels - been tracking it for decades; but the analysis of using it seldom pays off (Without Local, State, and Federal Subsidies taken from others to bring the cost down for the individual).

Keyman
02-11-2023, 03:56 PM
The other day a 20 pound, 5 gallon tank cost me $57.00

truckerdave397
02-12-2023, 11:14 AM
I had four 20 tanks filled yesterday. It cost me 3.65 a gallon. I have my smoker with brisket and ribs going today. I am good with the price.

MaryB
02-12-2023, 01:23 PM
$30 to fill the 20 pound tank for the garage heater... local co-op loses money on small tank fills and it is more of a service for the co-op members. I get a small check back from them every year on fuel purchases.

Good Cheer
02-13-2023, 10:42 AM
Real happy to have pre-purchased, 30% off prices this winter.

Outer Rondacker
02-13-2023, 11:40 AM
My friend down the road just paid 2.49 a gallon in the co-op. Not to bad.

Bentstick
02-13-2023, 09:36 PM
Let me know if I'm mistook, but isn't the 100 LB tank pretty much 20 gal.?? jd

23.6 to be correct yes is a gimick again going between lbs tanks and gal sale, but lpg is out of this world also.