PDA

View Full Version : Resurface a mold block

Rp-
02-01-2023, 11:25 PM
I got a used lee mold but one or two of the cavities are not squared on the ends or something. Whe. I cast I get so.e bullets that have a little mushroom to them. Is it worth trying have a machinist take a little off the top of the blocks or would it be cheaper just to get a new mold for 50 bucks? The sprue plate is locking tight so I think the corner of the cavity is warped maybe? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230202/362480074e6397b61b2b9c7a33fbfd73.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

BLAHUT
02-01-2023, 11:28 PM
You could send it back to Lee, for 1/2 the cost of a new mold they will recondition back to like new...

Rp-
02-01-2023, 11:29 PM
You could send it back to Lee, for 1/2 the cost of a new mold they will recondition back to like new...I dont know why I didn't think about that. Thank you.

megasupermagnum
02-01-2023, 11:59 PM
That picture looks like a combination of poor fill out, dirty alloy, and base flashing to me. I'd have to see the mold, but I'm thinking you can fix this yourself. You will need to clean your pot for sure. Assuming your sprue plate is tight, I would raise the pot temp, get your mold hotter, but have a minimal sprue puddle to keep that plate cooler.

Rp-
02-02-2023, 12:08 AM
Well I'm looking into having g lee refurbish the mold it looks like half of their 65 dollar msrp, plus shipping both ways. I'm thinking that's going to balance out right around to that $50 price for a new mold on Amazon.

Rp-
02-02-2023, 12:10 AM
That picture looks like a combination of poor fill out, dirty alloy, and base flashing to me. I'd have to see the mold, but I'm thinking you can fix this yourself. You will need to clean your pot for sure. Assuming your sprue plate is tight, I would raise the pot temp, get your mold hotter, but have a minimal sprue puddle to keep that plate cooler.Its only on 1 or 2 cavities though and im not having the issue with my 452 mold. I'll give that a try though before I do anything. It's gonna have to wait until this weekend though. Thank you.

45DUDE
02-02-2023, 12:41 AM
I have fixed with a good flat file. Spray the surface black and carefully remove a little. With the paint you can tell where to remove the high spots. All the top will need to come down. A vibrating sander will work also. With the sprue plate on hold to the light and you can tell when you get it flat. IF ON THE END the sprue plate may be warped.

mnewcomb59
02-02-2023, 11:07 AM
I would guess your sprue plate is warped and doesn't sit tight over the cavity. It might be sitting tight on the left and right edge, but it is arched up over the hole. Before you go hogging out the mold block, take off the sprue plate and flatten it on a sharpening stone or a piece of sandpaper on glass. After a few passes on a stone you can see if the entire bottom of the sprue plate is touching the stone or if it is arched.

This pic is a bad sprue plate that has been about half way flattened out. You can see the machine marks near the sprue holes that haven't been removed all the way yet but one cavity is flat all the way across.

megasupermagnum
02-02-2023, 10:22 PM
That's a good throught, it could be a bad sprue plate.

alfadan
02-02-2023, 10:55 PM
You might actually have the sprue plate tightened TOO much. If the mushroom bases are on the cavity/cavities furthest from the plate screw, its not letting the plate sit flat.

maxreloader
02-02-2023, 11:08 PM
You could fly-cut on a mill but that would reduce the boolit weight. I would first try the suggestions of the previous posters.

deltaenterprizes
02-03-2023, 12:59 PM
I have fixed with a good flat file. Spray the surface black and carefully remove a little. With the paint you can tell where to remove the high spots. All the top will need to come down. A vibrating sander will work also. With the sprue plate on hold to the light and you can tell when you get it flat. IF ON THE END the sprue plate may be warped.

Magic Marker works well too!

wwmartin
02-03-2023, 01:20 PM
Lee sells replacement sprue plates I've purchased them from Midway.

Bill

Rp-
02-03-2023, 11:34 PM
I started casting some tonight with the temp up a little for better fill. No change. Looking at the mold it looks like the corners of a couple cavities are dinged. Looking at the bottom of the sprue plate and there are gouges in it. Im gonna chaulk this one up as done. Maybe I'll offer it here as a project mold if someone wants it cheap. Wife gave me the ok to replace it so that's a plus.

GregLaROCHE
02-04-2023, 02:31 AM
As been said, check the sprue plate for irregularities before any thing else.

45DUDE
02-05-2023, 02:04 PM
When I use a LEE mold much I take the sprue screw out and drill through from the side for a locking screw. They should come from the factory like that. One of my most accurate is a 45 H&G 68 style I filed down to 185 grain.