PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Seating Screws

Dean D.
02-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can find seating screws to fit RCBS dies for the different cast boolit styles? I looked on RCBS's site and did not find any and Lyman's screws are the larger type.

The seating dies I have use a tapered cone shaped seating screw which is fine for the J-word boolits but leaves an ugly ring indent on my round nosed cast boolits. :groner: [smilie=b:

nicholst55
02-05-2009, 05:30 AM
You can easily make a 'custom' bullet seating screw. You will need some 2-part epoxy, a cast boolit, some Johnson's Paste Wax, and a standard seating screw. Wax the boolit; mix epoxy and apply to the degreased seating screw. Make an impression of the boolit in the epoxy. Let it dry overnight. Done!

It's semi-permanent, because most epoxy will crumble after a while. Use J-B Weld and it's a bit more durable, but the good news is it can easily be renewed if needed.

I've done several like this, and they work just fine!

cajun shooter
02-05-2009, 08:38 AM
I file off the ends and make them flat and they do a great job of seating. You can order and receive new ones by calling RCBS direct. Call the customer service number.

high standard 40
02-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Ditto what Cajun said. I use a flat seater punch also but I made mine from a 1/4" bolt. Turned the head down in a drill press.

Dean D.
02-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks guys! I used the flat seating screw from my 32-20 set and it did ok but I think I will get another screw from RCBS and do the epoxy trick. I really appreciate the input here.

Dean D.
02-06-2009, 11:32 PM
I think I have found a way to make my own seating screw. I picked up a spare RCBS top punch today at my local shop and I believe I should be able to modify it with some minor grinding and brazing/silver soldering a 1/4 x 28 screw to the shank. I'll let you know if it works. If all else fails I'll break out the JB Weld!