PDA

View Full Version : MP 454-423, which version to get? In the correct forum this time.

TXTad
01-29-2023, 11:06 PM
This is a repost from my original over in the Cast Boolits sub-forum:

Is there any reason not to get the hollow-point version of the 454-423 from MP, even if I (maybe) will mostly cast solid bullets?

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-454-423-pb-solid/
https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-454-423-hp-pb-4cav/

Obviously the solid only version is less expensive, but the HP version obviously much more flexible.

Bigslug
01-30-2023, 09:10 AM
I have both MP .455 Webley molds - the MKII and MKIV - which are hollow-base designs. I greatly prefer their Cramer style hollow base/point system to NOE's, but it's still a bit more fiddly than a simple two-block, solid bullet mold. Solids out of an NOE HP mold were a bit of a PITA since you need to get the pins to settle at the right height. I expect the MP would be much easier, but I've had no reason to cast solid base Webley slugs.

With its .34" meplat, the solid 423 is a pretty good wrecking ball of a bullet as is - it just comes down to how much versatility you think you need.

sukivel
01-30-2023, 11:56 AM
I greatly prefer their Cramer style hollow base/point system to NOE's, but it's still a bit more fiddly than a simple two-block, solid bullet mold. Solids out of an NOE HP mold were a bit of a PITA since you need to get the pins to settle at the right height. I expect the MP would be much easier

My exact thoughts. If I was not specifically getting a mould for the HP, then I would get the solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXTad
01-30-2023, 12:01 PM
My exact thoughts. If I was not specifically getting a mould for the HP, then I would get the solid.

I have a feeling that I'll end up with both versions for bullets I want to cast in both HP and solid. Darn.

Bigslug
02-02-2023, 01:56 AM
I have a feeling that I'll end up with both versions for bullets I want to cast in both HP and solid. Darn.

Honestly, they're incredibly well priced for what you're getting - and they're in stock. Suck it up and buy both.

sukivel
02-02-2023, 12:55 PM

You already know that is your destiny…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Targa
02-04-2023, 09:16 AM
I would buy the HP mold and run 2 solid pins and 2 HP pins.

StrawHat
02-04-2023, 09:55 AM
In all of the handgun rounds I have fired in the past 50+ years, a solid has always gotten the job done. Hollow points, especially the penta points merely look cool.

I guess they look neat when recovered from paper pulp, water, jello or whatever. I don’t hunt those things. I like complete pass through on game and the solid 452423 delivers that for me.

It may not work for you, but that is what works for me.

Kevin

GregLaROCHE
02-04-2023, 10:53 AM
Get the one with the hollow point accessories. You’ll be glad you did.