PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Hammer Sharps Replica

Barman54
01-29-2023, 04:52 PM
I have a Pedretti Sharps Replica, bought slightly used, at the Tulsa G. Show 4 years.
200 prior, 329rds since purchase, 529 Total.
The Metal to wood finish is Outstanding, it has Vernier Sights, set triggers, shoots Great.
I know about the reputation of the Replica's, so Do Not ding me on the Purchase!

Was doing some Test Loads yesterday, with different loads, using the Chrono, at 50 yards.

That being said,
The hammer will not pull back for the next shot?

What would be the cause for the hammer not being able to cock?

Thx,

Barman54
Out

stubshaft
01-29-2023, 05:30 PM
Broken mainspring!

uscra112
01-29-2023, 06:29 PM
How could a broken mainspring jam the hammer?

@Barman54: Does the hammer feel free at all, or is it wedged tightly?

Hondolane
01-29-2023, 06:33 PM
What happens when you pull on the set triggers and the hammer at the same time?

1Hawkeye
01-29-2023, 06:34 PM
Sounds like stub got it. Is the hammer frozen in the down position or does it have power but won't stay cocked? Usually a broken mainspring allows the hammer to flop around but once in a while it will bind it up if the hammer only moves a little bit the bridle could be loose and bound up the tumbler. If the hammer will move under spring power but won't stay cocked then the sear tip on the sear or the sear notch on the tumbler could be broken off.

Bent Ramrod
01-29-2023, 08:34 PM
Pull the lever down to move the breechblock out of the way. Take off the screws holding the lock in place. In most Italian replicas, the lock plate should come off in your hand by its own weight. If the inletting is more precise, gradually and evenly loosening the screws and light tapping on the heads with the screwdriver handle will raise the lockplate evenly out of the wood without the danger of chipping.

If the mainspring hasn’t broken, sometimes the bridle screws loosen and allow the tumbler to tilt or jam. In the case of my Italian muzzleloader, this caused it to fire as soon as the setting trigger was pulled. But anything can happen in there.

Any broken parts can be replaced by calling VTI. HTH.

rockrat
01-29-2023, 11:51 PM
Pull it apart and see if a piece of the stock has broken off inside and jammed things. Happened with my 45-70 Pedersoli sharps

Barman54
01-31-2023, 12:07 AM
The Hammer does not move at all, in the Down position.
Trying to figure what screws to remove to see what is broken/not correct inside?

Thx for all your help

Barman54
Out

uscra112
01-31-2023, 12:38 AM
Can you move the breechblock at all? Even a couple of thousandths?

Doubletap
01-31-2023, 01:14 AM
If you have set triggers, it could be the "kicker" for the triggers has become wedged in the up position, preventing the sear from dragging on the back of the hammer notch area. Easily checked by setting the triggers and dry firing the triggers. I've seen this happen on a couple of front stuffers over the years.

Barman54
01-31-2023, 05:48 AM
The Breechblock works as normal, It fall easily.
The Triggers work, set the Back, then the front click, as Normal?

Thx,

missionary5155
01-31-2023, 08:59 AM
Several You Tubes about disassembly.