PDA

View Full Version : .480 Ruger carbine?

Doubletap
01-29-2023, 03:07 PM
Having recently been showered with several hundred .480 Ruger cases, I'm looking for someway to put them to use. I was originally thinking of digging up a No. 1 rolling block action and barreling it up, however, after looking up some loading data, I'm a bit leary of it. Pressure data shows the round running about 43-45,000 psi. Seems a bit much for a No. 1 action even with the firing pin hole bushed and a smaller firing pin tip. If this was a much smaller case head, I'd be less concerned doing it, but with a rim of .542 and head of .504, would case head thrust be excessive? I'm not looking at using a Ruger action because of cost reasons, but I don't see a lot of options for a low cost action. I could just use the rolling block with lesser loads, but I don't want to create a trap for a user 20 years from now if someone puts a factory round in it.
My second choice was a Contender carbine barrel, but I see MGM no longer shows it as an option. Any other makers for this?
I'd appreciate any input on either of these ideas. I look at this as a possible really handy heavy cover deer and black bear carbine.

Shawlerbrook
01-29-2023, 03:23 PM
An Encore action would probably be more suitable to handle those pressures than the Contender. I think EABCO also used to make/sell a single shot action.

Wheelguns 1961
01-29-2023, 03:29 PM
I think Ruger made a #1 in 475 linebaugh.

pworley1
01-29-2023, 03:30 PM
It is not a carbine but the super redhawk with a 10inch barrel is a lot of fun.

1Hawkeye
01-29-2023, 06:41 PM
Ruger made a exclusive run of stainless number 1's for Davidson's in .480 awhile back or you could send a handi rifle out to Jessie for a rebore.

Mk42gunner
01-29-2023, 07:43 PM
If you can live with an H&R, maybe a stub job on a rifle action?

NEF did make them chambered for some pretty potent rounds, even the .500 S&W.

Robert

waylonrocks
01-29-2023, 08:38 PM
I am a big fan of the 480 Ruger. My son bought a Ruger Super Redhawk several years ago and we have accumulated a fair amount of brass and bullets for it. Sadly, brass and loaded rounds are like unicorns now, fetching prices that are astronomical. 50 new cases just sold on Gunbroker for $135.00 including the shipping!! At that point, it takes the fun out of it! If you don't already have a 480, you are setting on a nice chunk of change that could be diverted to something else. I cringe at all of the Magnum Research BFRs and Super Redhawks for sale in that chambering on Gunbroker with multiple bids. I am not positive that many of those people realize how difficult it is to find ammo/brass for it. Rossi made a lever action in the 480. The 480 is probably best served in a revolver. My son and I each have Encore carbines in 460 S & W and 500 S & W that are a hoot. While expensive to shoot, everything is readily available. There is a reason for the popularity of the 45-70 as well. I certainly get the pride of ownership that comes with having a unique gun, so if you don't mind paying for the privilege, go for it!

missionary5155
01-29-2023, 09:52 PM
So when Starline Brass was selling boxes of this brass why did you not buy one ?
Put your name on the list.