PDA

View Full Version : inline muzzleloader

BandeauRouge
01-29-2023, 03:18 AM
Just having a ball. Decided to pull my older vintage CVA Kodiak 45 out of the closet. REALLY need to reclean it. Havent cleaned, used, etc in perhaps 6 years. Oil in barrel looks rusty red for some reason at the muzzle.

Trying to get a manual, but the CVA website manual for the rifle only talks about not using military surplus ammunition in it..

Its a 1:24 twist barrel. I know the sabots from MMP will indeed let me use .357 magnum bullets, and they do indeed recommend the use of the hornady 158 grain SWC for that, a happily made SWAGGED lead projectile, and even the 158 grain LRN....

IS swagged lead actually going to be a "smart" choice as the basic powder charge listed is supposed to yield 1700 fps velocity.

MarkP
01-29-2023, 11:46 AM
The swaged Hornady pistol bullets were made from pure lead. At least they were 25+ yrs ago. The cores for most of their XTP bullets had 5% antimony. Most rifle cores were 3%. Just depends on style.

BandeauRouge
01-29-2023, 03:00 PM
Ive brought down some nice bodied bucks with the 40 cal xtp stuff, and the velocity seems high for what is technically a "target bullet for 38 special"