PDA

View Full Version : New vs old

Fifield92
01-28-2023, 06:28 PM
What's a better choice for quality and reliability, old tried and true lever guns (insert preferred manufacturer here) or trying my luck eventually with a new marlin or another manufacturer that's pumping them out today

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

dverna
01-28-2023, 06:45 PM
My newest lever action is 20+ years old. They all work well. Even the pistol caliber carbines that are tweaked to run fast.

The "worst" one I had was an older .357 Rossi 92 clone. Just not as smooth as the others and I sold it. But plenty of people like the Rossi so either I got a bad one or I got spoiled with the higher end offerings.

I would steer clear of the Marlins made by Remington as reports are less than stellar but I have no first hand experience with them.

Shawlerbrook
01-28-2023, 06:50 PM
Wow, that’s a loaded( no pun intended) question. As far as metallurgy and computer generated parts a quality modern gun will win out. Problem is that quality isn’t as common as it used to be. The Japonese Winchester’s are well made, but just don’t have the traditional charisma as a pre-64 . The new Ruger made Marlins are getting great reviews, but I still like the originals. That said, many don’t. Henry makes some nice guns, but they just don’t have the feel as a Winchester or Marlin. I probably confused you more than when you asked, but it really does come down to that old Ford vs Chevy thing.

pworley1
01-28-2023, 07:16 PM
I am an old man and I like old guns. Most of those old guns were fairly new when I bought them years ago.

missionary5155
01-28-2023, 08:34 PM
A quality used lever gun is always 1st with us. Good barrel and function always outshines looks...
But some new made carbines are great Our Henry .41 Mag (under $600) shot our 1st load tried into a 1.5" cloverleaf at 50 yards. Functioned perfect with a WFN 265 FNGC and every cast except a WC. That one needed to be seated out to the 1st groove.

pietro
01-28-2023, 09:02 PM

For me, the only good reason to get a new/modern levergun is if the buyer wants a chambering that wasn't available in the older guns.

The older guns were made by seasoned employees that took pride in their (excellent) work more than modern/union folks seem to do..

The new Marlins made by Ruger will most likely turn out to be an exception to the above.

FergusonTO35
01-28-2023, 10:23 PM
If I was going to spend the kind of change required for a nice lever action today, Henry all the way and probably Ruglin once they get here. None of the USA Winchesters or pre-Ruger Marlins have any kind of warranty or factory support. This wasn't a big deal when used lever actions were cheap, but now they are not and these guns tend to be pricey to fix compared to say bolt actions and AR's. I love old levers as much as anybody else but I've been down the road of trying to get one running properly before and don't have the money or patience to do it again.

Bad Ass Wallace
01-28-2023, 11:49 PM
All of my lever guns (Winchester) are over 100 years old and still shoot a well as the day they were made!

freakonaleash
01-29-2023, 12:49 PM
I have all sorts of lever guns made from 1886 to 2022. The ones that work the best are from the 1920's to the 1950's. These later 20's to 50's Winchesters are in great shape, appear to be little used and have perfect bores, smooth actions and are very accurate. AND, in many cases are cheaper than what's made currently.

stubshaft
01-29-2023, 05:26 PM
I prefer to buy and shoot older PROVEN rifles, rather than the new crud made today.

Pereira
01-29-2023, 07:09 PM
I prefer the older ones, but I do own a few newer ones.
Oldest was made in 1899, the newest is a 2016 41 mag Henry.
Most are Marlins, then Winchesters a couple Rossi M92's and a couple Henrys.

RP

Hondolane
01-29-2023, 07:20 PM
Buy quality. Older Marlins and Winchesters. They'll hold their value and are true American.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-29-2023, 07:21 PM
What's a better choice for quality and reliability, old tried and true lever guns (insert preferred manufacturer here) or trying my luck eventually with a new marlin or another manufacturer that's pumping them out today

with a review like this one.
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?452371-New-Marlins-from-Ruger
I'd suggest placing an order for one in my favorite caliber, at the LGS.

indian joe
01-30-2023, 07:05 PM
All of my lever guns (Winchester) are over 100 years old and still shoot a well as the day they were made!

mine are not all old but initial manufacturing faults aside they all work fine ---doubt I could afford enough ammo to wear even one of em out

Eddie Southgate
01-30-2023, 07:55 PM
I prefer old but the Japan Winchesters as well as most of the Italian made ones are top notch that I have seen. The Rossi's have always been hit or miss out of the box but I have not seen one that couldn't be tweaked to work correctly and I've not seen one that was not a good shooter.

popper
01-30-2023, 08:20 PM
It's a tool. If it was made good, it's good. New/old does not mean quality. Assume you are considering purchase. If I can handle/shoot before purchase, I can decide. If not, there is a chance. Lots of reasons for used guns to be on the market.

FergusonTO35
01-30-2023, 10:12 PM
It's a tool. If it was made good, it's good. New/old does not mean quality. Assume you are considering purchase. If I can handle/shoot before purchase, I can decide. If not, there is a chance. Lots of reasons for used guns to be on the market.

This 100%. People are hanging on to lever actions these days. If you see one for sale there is a better than average chance something is wrong with it. I bought a functional but total beater 94 a couple of years ago for $200.00 knowing full well it would be a project. I'm just now getting to the point where it works as well as my nicer rifles. I would be pretty upset if I bought a nice looking rifle for some serious change only to discover I had alot of work ahead of me and/or had to lay out even more for parts.

T.R.
02-03-2023, 08:44 AM
This is my fairly new Mossberg model 464 featuring 16 inch barrel, marine coat metal finish, and laminated stock. 30-30 is a keeper!

Jack Stanley
02-03-2023, 03:08 PM
From personal experience , I agree with the advice to stay away from Remington made Marlins . My first marlin was bought new around 1977 and it was a solid rifle . It did not have the same level of quality that my fifties made or sixties rifles have . The new 1894CL I got new in the nineties was very bad , both of workmanship and factory support . A Remington made 1894 was almost to the horrible level of quality . I rather doubt the new owners of the Marlin brand will revive the quality of the sixty year old rifles .

I bought one of the Browning branded model 53 rifles and to me it looks like Browning shine and performs like old style quality . I don't know what the new Japanese made "Winchesters" are like but I think they are made by the same company that makes them for Browning .

I haven't tried a Mossberg lever rifle but the other Mossberg Bolt action rifles I've bought have been VERY accurate . As for Henry rifles , handing them at the gun rack , I like them just haven't got around to trying one out .

The new made Marlins are my last choice but other guys like them .

Jack

FergusonTO35
02-03-2023, 06:04 PM
This is my fairly new Mossberg model 464 featuring 16 inch barrel, marine coat metal finish, and laminated stock. 30-30 is a keeper!

Those 464's we're really good guns, certainly no worse than Remlin or the last few decades of USA Winchester. It sucks that Mossy dropped them. In the end, I think it's just a case of most people will never take Mossberg seriously other than shotguns.

papaglenn
02-03-2023, 07:08 PM
I know a lot of folks warn against the Remington made Marlins and maybe for good reason. But I have two 1894's made after Marlin was acquired by Remington.

One is a 1894CB with a 20" barrel. The other is a "slot" baby. It is a 1894C made in 2009 with a barrel stamped "North Haven" but with a "REP" stamp instead of a "JM" stamp.

Both function flawlessly and both are very accurate. I honestly don't pay much attention to roll marks. I judge the rifle by how it performs. Are they on par with my 1894 from 1901? Probably not. But they work.

I am interested in Ruger's new offerings but in all honesty I probably won't buy one. My rifles do everything I ask of them.

And I have always liked those Mossberg 30-30's also.

FergusonTO35
02-03-2023, 09:34 PM
In the end, all that matters is if the rifle works for you and you like it. I gave my 200.00 Winchester some exercise today and it did great.

Pereira
02-03-2023, 10:14 PM
In the end, all that matters is if the rifle works for you and you like it. I gave my 200.00 Winchester some exercise today and it did great.

I have an early AE Ranger 30-30 that I bought quite a few years ago, for $50.
It was missing all the magazine internals.
Bought the end cap and screw, the mag spring and follower all for around $70 shipped...
So I have like $120 in it, is a sweet shooter.
Had it out this morning and it did not disappoint.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230204/54e88b4ce1329cb425049d05296f0764.jpg

RP

papaglenn
02-03-2023, 10:31 PM
Bought the end cap and screw, the mag spring and follower all for around $70 shipped...

RP

You are a man after my own heart. I like buying junkers and projects and putting them back in service. My 2009 1894C looked like it had been run hard and put away wet. Missing the rear band and both front and rear sights, blueing on the barrel was missing in spots, numerous scratches etc.

But the bore was perfect and the action was tight. I am guessing that it had very few rounds through it when I got it. I got it cleaned up and it is in my truck most of the time. I generally get projects like this back together and sell them but some I keep.

Wheelguns 1961
02-03-2023, 10:40 PM
I have a newer Remlin 1894cb in 45 colt. It is a great gun, functions flawlessly, shoots accurately, it is lighter than a Henry. I think when Remington first acquired Marlin, they had big problems, but they worked them out, and started making good ones.

Gray Fox
02-03-2023, 10:57 PM
A few years back I picked up a Miroku 1895 Win in .30-06 that was made in the mid-80s. It is the finest example of a lever gun as far as fit and finish go of any lever gun I've owned. The action is like a bank vault. I put one of the US made copies of the "climbin' Lyman" side mount sight on it and it shoots great with cast and jacketed . GF

papaglenn
02-04-2023, 08:35 AM
A few years back I picked up a Miroku 1895 Win in .30-06 that was made in the mid-80s. It is the finest example of a lever gun as far as fit and finish go of any lever gun I've owned. The action is like a bank vault. I put one of the US made copies of the "climbin' Lyman" side mount sight on it and it shoots great with cast and jacketed . GF

Very nice. That is one of the guns on my bucket list. Unfortunately at my age I will never see one. But I still like to see them and hear about them.

GregLaROCHE
02-04-2023, 11:09 AM
I would prefer an older gun if it was in close to perfect condition. Cosmetics wouldn’t bother me that much, but usually the ones that were well taken care of cosmetically, are the ones in the best mechanical condition. Guns are subject to wear and tear. My Marlin 45/70 I bought new mid eighties is proof. I would never buy it if I saw it for sale but I keep and shoot it for sentimental reasons and it’s still a lot of fun.

Fifield92
02-05-2023, 11:45 PM

310066I didn't know mossberg was making levers. Looks awesome

Fifield92
02-05-2023, 11:46 PM
From personal experience , I agree with the advice to stay away from Remington made Marlins . My first marlin was bought new around 1977 and it was a solid rifle . It did not have the same level of quality that my fifties made or sixties rifles have . The new 1894CL I got new in the nineties was very bad , both of workmanship and factory support . A Remington made 1894 was almost to the horrible level of quality . I rather doubt the new owners of the Marlin brand will revive the quality of the sixty year old rifles .

I bought one of the Browning branded model 53 rifles and to me it looks like Browning shine and performs like old style quality . I don't know what the new Japanese made "Winchesters" are like but I think they are made by the same company that makes them for Browning .

I haven't tried a Mossberg lever rifle but the other Mossberg Bolt action rifles I've bought have been VERY accurate . As for Henry rifles , handing them at the gun rack , I like them just haven't got around to trying one out .

The new made Marlins are my last choice but other guys like them .

JackYeah unfortunately it seems the new marlins are a no go. I was hopeful they'd be good

Chena
02-06-2023, 12:32 AM
My favorite by a wide margin was a Win 1895 .30-40 carbine with a serial number in the mid-5000s, built shortly after the conversion from the flat side to the scalloped frame. It had clearly been a wreck that someone with limited skills had rebarreled, restocked and refinished. For all that, some mechanical tweaks and some cosmetic changes made it into a dandy shooter. I once spent a long evening troubleshooting a circa 2000 vintage Win 1894 Trapper, and was less than impressed by the machining and quality control. I had to tear the gun down completely to get all of the factory grit out of the works and the edges of lever had been left sharp instead of gently rounded. The best modern lever action I have experience with was a Browning 1895 clone in .30-06.

FergusonTO35
02-06-2023, 10:07 AM

RP

Just like mine except it looks alot better. You ever have light strikes with yours? I had to replace the hammer spring and remove most of the rebound strut.

Pereira
02-06-2023, 01:14 PM
No sir, I haven't had a single issue with it.
So far.:wink:

RP

FergusonTO35
02-06-2023, 05:10 PM
Awesome. Wanna double your money? :wink: FYI if you ever do have light strikes, apparently Winchester revised the hammer spring and it's stronger than the original. You can get it for a few bux from Midwest Gun Works.

Griff
02-08-2023, 01:43 AM
I have a Winchester mdl 94 from every decade they were made except for the 1940s. Have several form the 1970s, including a few of the "commemoratives". My favorite was made in 1979 and then customized by me in the 1990s into a "rifle" configuration with a Numrich bbl and extra fancy wood... It's best group was ¾" @ 200 yards. However, it eats brass, having neck cracks within about 3-4 reloadings. I won several long range matches with it. Wished I could still see well enough to perform as well as it's capable.

However, as I'm still competing in cowboy action shoots, my favorite match rifle is a 2014 Uberti made 1873, with an 18-½" half-octagon/round bbl, in 45 Colt. I put a short stroke kit in it, lightened springs and a Cowboy45Special carrier in it. (If you're unfamiliar with the Cowboy45Special, think a 45ACP length case with a 45 Colt rim). It was a fine rifle from the factory, just now it fits my competitive needs a little better! The C45S is a great smokeless round, and works fine with BP with less powder than needed to run the old Colt round. I'm still waiting on a special order 1860 from Uberti, also with an 18-½" bbl and a steel receiver. Before I get it, it'll also get a short stroke and the C45S carrier. I have no qualms about a new gun, or an older one! I also have no qualms about making a beat up old rifle like new again. Although I've kept a couple of my old "beaters" in the condition I received them in, as they're the result of the wear & tear the men who gave them to me wrought on them.

There is every possibility that you could be happy with an older gun or a newer gun. I won't presume what your intended uses might be, but let that be your guide in choosing any firearm.

jstanfield103
02-08-2023, 02:28 AM
I like new and I like older guns also. I probably enjoy the newer ones the best. Everyone has an opinion and here is mine on new rifles.

1. Winchester 92 in any caliber. Made as well as the pre 1964 Winchesters if not better.
2. Ruger/Marlin, the 1895's seem to be on par with the JM Marlins if not better.
3. Henry, they are doing things right on their center fire rifles.
4. Rossi 92's- Never had a problem with one.
5. Uberti 1873 are great rifles.

357Mag
02-08-2023, 03:43 AM
FiField -

Howdy !

If you want a stainless rifle ( such as a Marlin M336 XLR ), you'd be going back less than 2 decades on gun age. Perhaps that qual's as " old " ?

IMHO - I don't think the Marlins made @ the peak of workforce' experience level @ their CT location will likely ever be rivaled. My M-336 XLR .35 Remington came from within their last 2yr of production in CT, and it is just stupid accurate.

With regards,
357Mag

Thundermaker
02-08-2023, 04:45 AM
I can tell you that the new Rossis are worlds better than the ones from 10 years ago. The new winchesters are fantastic, aside from the hammer rebound, which some don't like.

Pereira
02-08-2023, 09:21 AM
Awesome. Wanna double your money? :wink: FYI if you ever do have light strikes, apparently Winchester revised the hammer spring and it's stronger than the original. You can get it for a few bux from Midwest Gun Works.

Well... I better hold onto it.[smilie=1:
Thanks on the spring info.:drinks:

RP

FergusonTO35
02-08-2023, 12:30 PM
You ever change your mind gimme a holler!

Fifield92
02-12-2023, 09:39 PM
I can tell you that the new Rossis are worlds better than the ones from 10 years ago. The new winchesters are fantastic, aside from the hammer rebound, which some don't like.Good to know!

Hick
02-12-2023, 10:35 PM
New versus old doesn't mean much now unless old is worn out. Keep in mind that the steel-making technology was already very advanced in the mid-to late 1800's, which is why those old Winchesters, Mausers and other fine rifles are still working well today. An old firearm with a good bore and no missing parts is an excellent find. Even some of the ones 'bad-mouthed' at the time, such as the early post-64 Winchesters have turned out to be very reliable and good shooters. So-- its more a matter of what you find and how much you like the feel of it.

FergusonTO35
02-13-2023, 10:10 AM
Even some of the ones 'bad-mouthed' at the time, such as the early post-64 Winchesters have turned out to be very reliable and good shooters. So-- its more a matter of what you find and how much you like the feel of it.

The post-64's are a real slot machine. I have a '78 model that has good workmanship and parts fit, and is a good shooter. I bought one new in 2003 that had terrible parts fit but was a really good shooter and I sold it like a big dummy. Currently have a 1985 model with terrible parts fit that I bought for cheap knowing it was going to be a project. Thing won't group at all, and I'm thinking it's going to get sold or turned into a .38-55.

Hick
02-13-2023, 09:01 PM
The post-64's are a real slot machine. I have a '78 model that has good workmanship and parts fit, and is a good shooter. I bought one new in 2003 that had terrible parts fit but was a really good shooter and I sold it like a big dummy. Currently have a 1985 model with terrible parts fit that I bought for cheap knowing it was going to be a project. Thing won't group at all, and I'm thinking it's going to get sold or turned into a .38-55.

Good points--My best one is a '68-- a real shooter

Griff
02-15-2023, 01:34 AM
The post-64's are a real slot machine. I have a '78 model that has good workmanship and parts fit, and is a good shooter. I bought one new in 2003 that had terrible parts fit but was a really good shooter and I sold it like a big dummy. Currently have a 1985 model with terrible parts fit that I bought for cheap knowing it was going to be a project. Thing won't group at all, and I'm thinking it's going to get sold or turned into a .38-55.Take all the forend furniture off of it and shoot it only supported at the receiver. You'll find out if the problem is in the barrel itself or the stress from the added wood and barrel bands, or even the screw thru the magazine plug into the barrel. Another way, (more time consuming), is to wait at least 5 minutes between shots and keep the barrel out of the sun.

FergusonTO35
02-15-2023, 10:32 AM
Thanks, will do. I'm going to try the same load in my 1978 94 and super accurate Marlin Glenfield 30 and see what kind of accuracy I get.